Blackbaud

Blackbaud Employer Reviews

Cut-throat environment
Software Developer (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJune 10, 2014
Pros: cool looking building
Cons: sweat-shop environment
Blackbaud was a sweat-shop when I worked there. Admittedly this was many years ago, so things may have changed since then. Programmers were expected to work long hours, given heavy quotas to fill, and sharply criticized for not meeting them.
Best job I've ever had and it's not even close!!!
Customer Support (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 9, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere for employees, great team oriented culture
Cons: insurance benefits not quite as quality as former large company i worked for very minor to me.
Amazed at how Blackbaud not only says they care for their employees but actually shows it!! I have worked for large and small companies and this one gets it. I felt like a valuable member of the team before day 1. The hiring process was difficult yes but everyone kept you updated and made me feel valued during the process. After day 1 all doubt was – more... eliminated I left a company after 7 years and do not regret it one bit!! I am lucky to work here and realize that every day I wake up to go to work which I now enjoy again. – less
Initially good experience, bought/sold/merged too many times
Production Analyst (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 24, 2014
I think Blackbaud's an overall good company. Hardest part of my job was trying to get the knowledge I needed, while still getting my work done. Good people, poor as managers, poor traning. By the time I left, I was totally overwhelmed with keeping my head above water, and I am not an unintelligent person. They were heading toward a 'KPI' (key performance – more... indicator) based incentive system, and the last few months I was there were totally immersed in quantification of levels of talent, effort, going above & beyond to reach $ incentives. When I first asked my manager, he couldn't tell me what a KPI was.. it was weird. I know that's where a lot of companies are headed, but I think it got everyone way way offtrack regarding being human to each other. – less
Excellent place to work
Senior Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: culture, management, product
Blackbaud is a wonderful company with a staff of very dedicated and passionate people. Everyone who works there understands that they serve their client base and working with non-profits is at the heart of everything they do.
Wonderful work environment, but difficult position
Customer Support Analyst (Former Employee), Greenfield, INNovember 18, 2013
Pros: insurance, sick days, vacation days, fun events, fabulous coworkers, great support system
Cons: high-stress, sometimes difficult clients, longer hours than realized
I was a Customer Support Analyst. Blackbaud was (and still is) a company I was/am proud to have been a part of. Blackbaud does wonderful things for the Nonprofit world. The coworkers I had were the best I've ever had the pleasure to work with, and I highly doubt I will ever work somewhere with such an amazing group of people. It's a truly rare thing – more... to find such an amazing team with a wonderful sense of camaraderie and support. They do a lot of fun, team-building things in the office to keep things fun, and I loved the laid-back, friendly attitude everyone had.

That said, I found the position was not a good fit for me. It's a pretty high-stress job, and the pay wasn't really enough to compensate for me. I found answering the phone to be really stressful, and while I already had a lot of customer service experience, I wasn't prepared for how much more difficult clients could be over the phone. I gave 3/5 stars for Job Security/Advancement because, while I felt pretty secure in my job, I realized the potential for advancement was VERY slim, especially if I was unwilling to move to SC. I gave 4/5 stars for Job Work/Life Balance because I found it to end up being more time-consuming than I thought... Frequently, your calls run far past your scheduled times, and so you end up not being able to leave on time at the end of the day. It made it very difficult for me to schedule any plans on weekday evenings, for fear that a call would run long and I wouldn't be able to make it.

Over all, they're the best group of people you could ever hope to work for, but the position was too much for me. – less
Excellent place to work
Customer Support Analyst (Current Employee), Daniel Island, SCNovember 9, 2013
Pros: wonderful work environment, excellent management, ability to move up, ability for raises
Cons: can sometimes be stressful
Blackbaud is an excellent place to work. You are given multiple tools to succeed and grow.
Great Intern Opportunity
Finance Intern (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 25, 2013
The overall experience as a finance intern for Blackbaud was a great one. I was able to acheive efficient business experience in a fun, productive, and stimulating work environment. Highly recommended
Sweatshop supporting too much incompatible (and antiquated) software
Management (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 25, 2013
Pros: nice building (leaks a bit), gym, big software employer in charleston
Cons: out of date technologies, sr mgmt team not knowldgeable, no other tech jobs in charleston, overwork (or get out)
At one time, Blackbaud was a technology leader. Around 2000, it went public and remained a leader, but focused on consulting instead of improving its core Microsoft client-server based products.

In the mid 2000's its 3rd CEO focused on acquisitions and Wall Street, again ignoring the people and technologies that made this company strong. He led the – more... acquisition of Blackbaud's 2 major competitors, giving Blackbaud a lot of incompatible software technologies and products which do not work well together, creating many virtually insurmountable (and non-funded) customer/product support, product development and integration issues. His senior management team had little/no technological knowledge at all, and ran the company like a manufacturing company, not a software company. The main product, RaisersEdge (still its major source of income) received no major enhancements to its now out-of-date Microsoft client-server architecture for over 10 years, and is therefore a burden to host in the new SaaS environment. Most of the senior (and knowledgeable) management team was replaced within the past 5 years, and the new mgmt team have even less experience in technology or non-profits, making it difficult for employees focused on technology or non-profits to work effectively.

Blackbaud is often on the "Most Desirable Places to Work" list, simply because management has put pressure on managers and people to provide good reviews, etc. in order to hire people to replace its high turnover employees. Good companies shouldn't have high turn-over ...

Blackbaud has evolved from a fun software company of empowered technological visionaries into a sweatshop managed by non-techie MBA types who ignore techie advice. Company meetings have evolved from celebration parties with exciting announcements to depressing presentations about ailing sales and reduced margins with no refreshments or applause ... – less
Micromanaged sweat shop
Software Developer (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJune 6, 2013
Don't let the fancy-looking building fool you. This company treats its employees very badly. You will work long hours and endure constant criticism.
High Pressure High Value Company
Principal Consultant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 23, 2013
Pros: lively and engaging co-workers, strong sense of team cohesion
Cons: long work hours, difficult work life balance
Working in the professional services department, we participated on a daily routine of customer implementation projects. The team members across various departments are all committed to their responsibilities and ensuring the timely and professional delivery of customer requirements.
I love who we help
Account Development Representative (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 5, 2013
Pros: free gym, great people, upward mobility
Cons: long sales process with some products.
Helping non-profits reach their goals is a worthy cause.

The people I work with are great.

I enjoy speaking to so many non-profit employees and volunteers

Enjoyable environment
Culturally family oriented and professionally fun environment
Accounts Payable/Analytical Accounting Specialist (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAOctober 30, 2012
Blackbaud is a fast pace environment, everyone has a full plate of there own at the same time ready to tackle anything that come up as critical situation arises. Teamwork was a key role from the bottom up, everyone worked very diligently from all aspect at Blackbaud. That was one of the reasons I enjoyed most working there because I get to advance myself – more... in many areas other than AP tasks I also involved in major projects locally and remotely for other office branches (Charleston, San Francisco, and San Diego). I truly believe most Blackbaud staffs like this type of hands-on environment as well. – less
Great internship experience
Internship, International Business Unit (Current Employee), Charleston, SCSeptember 27, 2012
Management is approachable and willing to provide mentorship. Excellent internship experience - would highly recommend.
Oh where is their Project Management Office
N/A (Former Employee), CharlestonSeptember 9, 2012
Pros: with project management - none
Cons: need a serious update to really learn what pm is about.
Blackbaud could be a good company, maybe even great, but they don't practice or even understand what Project Management is about.

I talked to their PMO manager and he said he is teaching the company about PM by using the PMBOK reference book. Really! If anyone has ever attempted to read and study for their PMP certification, they know that you can't – more... learn project management from the PMBOK REFERENCE BOOK!

In talking with some of their project managers, Blackbaud even considers a "project" as being when someone calls into the help desk and needs a "password" change. SERIOUSLY???

Maybe their merger with some companies who haven't just promoted over and over from the inside, may help them understand what project management is all about.

SAD. – less
Great Company
Project management Office Manager Corporate IT (Current Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 6, 2012
Pros: great values
Cons: old thinking
Good Work
Long Days
Management are old fashioned and need some new blood
Could be great depending on the team
Customer Support Analyst (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJune 25, 2012
Pros: good benefits, schedule
Cons: mind numbingly boring
Blackbaud on the whole seems like a wonderful place to work and the people are friendly and the atmosphere is pleasant but the actual work is a bit mind numbing depending on the position.

A typical day of work starts with me reviewing my cases and which takes about 15 minutes. I send the emails that need to be sent and record any messages that I've – more... received. The next 7.5 hours are spent between waiting for a phone call (avg 1-2 per day) or "researching" issues (not waiting for a phone call). I'm a company first guy so looking at Facebook or surfing the web are usually things that I do during breaks but at Blackbaud I find myself searching for something to do.

I do know of other individuals who are working in challenging positions that keep them busy throughout the day and I hear that they love the opportunity with Blackbaud. – less

September 9, 2012

Blackbaud is using the PMI PMBOK book as a training manual for their project managers. They have no idea that the PMBOK is a REFFERENCE BOOK, not a TRAINING MANUAL. From what I understand they have over 500 so called Project Managers, but fewer than 10 actual PMP certified PM managers. They need to think about getting into the "20th Century" before they will ever make it into the "21st."! So backwards and don't want to get people who know how to make them successful with Project Management. What a sad company.

About Blackbaud

When was a last time that a day at the office was accompanied by the satisfaction of knowing that you did something to change – Read more