BlackBerry

BlackBerry Employee Reviews

BB review
A (Former Employee), BJuly 12, 2015
The overall mission of the company is good. Connecting people, creating the networked society, etc. There is plenty of opportunity for training online, classes, and on the job. If you are consistent and reliable, you will have long term employment. This is a great opportunity to fully immerse yourself in work that love, and no one will stop you from doing so here.
BlackBerry Corporation offers great benefice and very nice work environment.
Design Support Lab Technician (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLJune 21, 2015
Pros: BlackBerry Corporation offers great benefice and very nice work environment.
Cons: Constant layoff.
My job at Blackberry was sometime very challenging, and some time very pleasant. I worked with very nice professional, respectable people. The hardest part of the job is when we had to work six days a week to meet the delivery deadline. The most fun part was when we did functional test of the devices by taking pictures for the camera test and video.
Technology leader
Manager (Former Employee), SunriseJune 17, 2015
Pros: Telecomute
Cons: Change
At some point, management lost sight of core business and implemented wrong strategies causing irreparable damage.

Best in class Sales, Technical teams.
Horrible place to work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Bay AreaApril 8, 2015
Pros: I have a wonderful manager
Cons: no wfh and micro manager in upper management
If you're not part of the SAP group you will not make it here. They do not commend you for your hard work nor do they care.

I do not recommend anyone to come and work for this company.
Awesome place to Work
Software Test Associate - Quality Assurance (Former Employee), Andover, MAApril 1, 2015
You get to work like a Full Time Employee and not just as an intern.
Get to work on latest technology and building quality products.
Employees worked well together.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Wonderful employees.
Cons: Counterparts were located in Canada and Texas.
A typical day would involve coordinating meetings and conference calls, arranging travel itineraries, preparing billing information, creating budget reports, updating contact information. The hardest part of the job being the only legal executive assistant in the office. My counterparts were located in Canada and Texas.
Productive and good place to work
Field Test Engineer (Former Employee), Irving, TXJanuary 7, 2015
Developed skills in Cell phone testing and network optimization.
Worked as Competitive Intelligence Assistant at BlackBerry (Research In Motion)
Competitive Intelligence Assistant at BlackBerry (Former Employee), Sunrise, FL, USANovember 2, 2014
I have done two semester (8 months) internship at BlackBerry.

I gained below technical skills:
• Used Agilent GS8800 to validate RF performance of receiver and transmitter of a handheld for GSM, UMTS communication systems
• Employed Satimo anechoic chamber to measure TIS, TRP for GSM, WCDMA, HSDPA protocols.
• Measured log at anechoic chamber and used BUGDISP tool to troubleshoot connection related issues.
• Responsible for writing MATLAB code with GUI for simulation purposes: to find TRP, TIS from radiated EIS values; draw 3D, 2D antenna pattern from the data extracted from anechoic chamber at different elevation and azimuth angles.
• Worked on project to identify receiver diversity in DUT and figured out improvement in TIS because of diversity.
• Good understanding about A-GPS; 3GPP and T-Mobile test cases
• Experience with 3GPP RF conformance testing
• Performed A-GPS; test according to T-Mobile specification using Spirent ULTS 8100 mobile device test system and measured SAR using Satimo COMOSAR SAR measurement bench.
Software Developer (Former Employee), FloridaOctober 24, 2014
It is a great place to work. I got experience on the following areas:
Architecture, Administration, Analysis, Coding and Operations.
Fun place to work
Hardware Engineering Manager (Former Employee), Irving, TXOctober 20, 2014
Organized.
Fast paced.
Employees treated fairly and compensated well.
Great company to work for despite corporate restructuring
Field Quality Project Manager (Former Employee), Sunrise, FloridaOctober 3, 2014
Pros: great company to work for
Cons: corporate restructuring
Strong Engineering team, Corporate culture was good.
This review is based on my employment with Blackberry in 2012.
Current situation is unknown
Same as earlier for BlackBerry Ltd
Lead Test Systems Developer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 15, 2014
Fun working environment, designed to support Cell Phone Development and Manufacture using in House Manufacturing facility and Contract Manufacturing Partners.
Contributions and Expectations in BlackBerry
Automation Development Eng and Software Dev (Former Employee), Waterloo, CASeptember 14, 2014
Pros: amazing infrastructure, helpful colleagues
Cons: everyday commute, not enough vegetarian food options in cafeteria
My initial task during my internship was to convert an app made in Adobe AIR into cascades (C++ and QML). I was given an inherited code, which was about 100 lines. Some of the goals during the start of the internship were to schedule time meetings with other team members to discuss the code and different files in the project.
First few weeks went into basic conversion of different files and making sure that they compile and function accordingly. After 2 weeks I was given few files to write my own code for the application to perform some specific tasks as desired by key decision makers. During this time I analyzed past code in Adobe AIR and determined the necessary similar function calls that had to be made in QML.
I expected this from the internship as I wanted a developer job and company had hired me to develop. My expectations were to develop on different platforms, but with the given size of application and responsibilities this wasn't possible. Other expectations were that I will be working with few others on the same code and we will divide our tasks like in ECE 297, but I was the only one handling the entire code and others in the team were working on the other parts of the application. Making an entire application on your own was a good experience and learning were unstoppable.
In my four months internship I got a chance to sit in the meetings where important decisions for the company BlackBerry were being made. People were really co- operative and this work term increased my horizons in other areas as well. The
things that we do in our school are mostly similar to what – more... I experienced in my work term.
When I started my internship, I was told that this project was already overdue. In the beginning it was a lot of pressure to complete the application as soon as possible. So I started working on the things first that were important than others on the app. There were changes in resources that impacted the entire team. I tried to remain calm and focus on the application. – less
Productive workplace and friendly co-workers
Field Test Specialist student (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAAugust 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch and travel
Cons: i had to go back to school.
The duties I performed and learned was the stationary and field testing of upcoming BlackBerry Handsets and Playbook including the verification of product performance in GSM/UMTS/HSPA/LTE network to ensure quality prior to release with a focus on device performance and issues faced by the customer.
To extract handset logs (RIM Proprietary logs, Qualcomm QXDM logs and Omni peek logs) in case of call fails, resets, WLAN and other issues.
Performed first level trouble-shooting of issues in the field, collect logs using Wire shark, QXDM, Omni peek and other internal tools.
Worked on CDMA, EVDO, GSM, WI-FI, VoIP, and LTE technologies.
Run E911(Enhanced 911), AGPS( Assisted GPS),CPTA(Call performance Test Application), MHS(Mobile Hotspot) ,MVS(Mobile Voice System),Wi-Fi Testing, Metrico VQ and Issue verification tests for the carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile.
Provide feedback to the developer by reproducing the issue and providing additional issue logs using MKS Integrity Tool.
Performed Cycle Tests (MO/MT Call performance test, SMS,E-mail, Call retention tests,Multi –RAB tests,Inter-RNC Network test,HSDPA Network test, Scenario Tests, WLAN Tests like Captive Portal, Hotspot login on the BlackBerry and the reference handsets..
I would finish my duties and always be home in time for dinner.
Good work place
Field test specialist (Coop) (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 22, 2014
Enjoyed work culture and learnt a lot. Very helpful staff and got chance to implement wireless comm knowledge practically.
What a shame
Sales Manager (Former Employee), CaliforniaJuly 17, 2014
Pros: great product, top talent, fun and flexible work environment
Cons: sorry, that was about 3 years ago
BlackBerry was a fantastic place to work. We were representing a cutting edge technology in a fun and flexible work environment surrounded by talented and dynamic team-members.
As BlackBerry began to fall out of favor with consumers, there were a number of re-orgs and leadership changes that either directly or indirectly led to the loss of top talent in the organization. Ultimately, this led to a loss of identity and a change in culture that left BlackBerry unrecognizable to those who had been with the company for a number of years.
Digital Hardware Designer
Digital Hardware Designer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 16, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: the environment
A digital hardware designer at BlackBerry (then RIM) used to be a great place to work. The technical aspects of the job are still good - you still learn lots and the design is done in house. The worst part is when friends from outside the company bring up the company's future all the time.
The best people to work with
Lab Technician Assistant/Competitive Intelligence (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLJuly 11, 2014
Some of the sweetest and most encouraging people in the world, and more than supportive to their team mates.
Report Writer for Cellular Phone Manufacturer
COGNOS / Oracle Report Developer (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAJuly 1, 2014
I loved this job because I had a great boss, who had worked with me before and had known me for ten years. I was regarded with lots of respect and responsibility, challenging work to do, lots of independence, and great friends. Unfortunately the company is not making it and the whole office staff were terminated.

I had not used Cognos before but was able to pick up the basics fairly quickly, Also I enjoyed the chance of learning how a star schema works, and exposure to ansi standard SQL. Our queries were very elaborate way beyond anything I had used before in more than 15 years as a senior database developer.

I loved this job.
Good place to learn post Si validation and debug
Baseband Interface Validation Intern (Former Employee), Irving, TXJune 13, 2014
My first internship was at BlackBerry. Good exposure to various cellular systems validation methods and state of the art lab equipments
Industry