Blackboard Inc. Employee Reviews

Love Working Here
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 22, 2016
I came in as a temporarily employee for the financial aid group.I knew that it was temporarily so I was okay with that. Overall the company is very laid back. Of course like any company they have rules and regulations. I loved working with my co-workers and helping the students. Compensation matches the job duties. I continue to go back for the seasonal positions because I enjoy the time off in between. Great company and Management.
Cons
Hired into your schedule
Blackboard Review
College Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYFebruary 9, 2017
The hardest part of this job is the ever changing procedures and rules. Once you get the hang of one way of doing things they decide to do things another way. This makes it extremely hard to stay in the up and up when having to please quality auditors.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, great co-workers, great bosses and free food during RUSH.
Cons
Pay raises are compatitive and sparse.
So Far So Good
College Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 26, 2017
Management seems excellent - Compensation is average - Hours can be long and atypical - Training is intense but needed to perform the job; you are not thrown to the wolves - The benefits are average and start on the initial day of employment which is really good. It may change tomorrow but as of today I have no complaints.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Management
Cons
None so far
Not a great place to work
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYNovember 2, 2016
Blackboard isn't terrible if you are looking for a short term job. Anything long term is inadvisable as this company does not treat employees well. They also have low salary for the majority of the position available.
Pros
Great people, enjoyable work at times
Cons
Low pay, poor management, lot's of favoritism, poor security, poor working conditions
Good Pay but Unfair Management
Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SC 29601January 18, 2017
Pay was good but they lack training. The training can be much and I mean much better. By the time you are on the floor, you don't even know half of what you are suppose to know. Management does not communicate and as long as they have someone covering something, they do not care. Even if you are not trained, which is the case 75% of the time.
Pros
good pay, room for advancement, great people
Cons
Management, training, HR takes forever
Positive work environment
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYFebruary 12, 2017
During my time here I have worked with three colleges and one home based schooling resolving student issues regarding both financial aid and enrollment in a timely manner, usually with a one call resolution. I always received adequate training to complete the tasks required of me and the supervisors are always willing to listen to your ideas. The hardest part of the job is the unfortunate but unavoidable aspect of dealing with irate students yelling at you from time to time. However, they are mad at the issue, not the individual so it helps to keep that in mind.
Pros
Supervisors who listen
Cons
Verbal assault by some customers.
Loved it!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXFebruary 28, 2017
Just a great vibe and place to work. Felt good to help the students. The management was helpful and so were the coworkers. Advancement was evident
Pros
Enthusiastic
Cons
Seasonal
Excellent Place to Work
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2017
Great atmosphere and great people. And as a global company, this headquarters office always had employees from other locations in town that you get to meet. Also, they also have a small budget to maintain office morale by having parties during holidays and special occasions.
Pros
Lots of free food (left overs from catered meetings. Also free soft drinks are stocked and provided
Cons
Too many management levels
Overall good place to work.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYOctober 6, 2016
Working there is a good time. The typical day at work depends on the department where you work. I learned that even though you get some nasty callers, they're not directly angry with you, but more so at the situation. The management team was probably the best a person could work with. Some co-workers were better than others, but that's how it is at any place of employment. The hardest part of the job was the callers and the various ordeals that they brought to the table. The most enjoyable part of the job was just being able to leave work knowing that you helped at least one people.
Decent work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Shopville, KYSeptember 15, 2016
A typical day can get very hectic depending on what time of the year it is. I've learned how to be more patient with others in regards to what they need and how they can have that achieved. Management was okay, can mislead you at times, which can cause a lack of communication due to a lack of trust. Co-Workers are great and are more than willing to help. The most difficult part of the job is to not talk like you normally do in your normal dialect, but to maintain a professional and sustainable attitude. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you did help someone in what exactly needed to be done in regards to a specific issue and knowing that you made their day less stressful.
Okay place to work and get started
Renewal and Revenue Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2017
Pros:
- ability to work from home often
- Ping pong table/cool office

Cons:
- culture was very quiet office
- not much advancement available
- comp was average
In search of an indentity
Field Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 15, 2017
A great place to work. Full of driven and innovative thinkers. Recent re-orgs and changes in executive roles have left Bb a little lost in terms of direction.
Pros
Free food, gorgeous office
Cons
Lots of new staff without older members to guide them
A place where the upper management does not value the commitment that you have made to a company
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 2, 2016
At first this was a great company to work for. When it was Perceptis. After it was taken over by Blackboard and they let go of the management and brought in new management, it was not that great of a place. I had worked there for almost 2 years and then I had a baby. Before I had my baby, the Site Director came to me and asked me to change from my morning shift to a night shift because they needed a good person on the night shift. I agreed to take the night shift if only I could go back to my days after I had my baby and she agreed. However, when it was time for me to come back to work, she decided that she did not want to keep her end of the bargin. So, I was spending no time with my newborn son, because I had to work afternoon and evenings.
Cons
upper management does not know how to communicate
Opportunities to enjoy good friends and lots of learning!
Supervisor, Client Services (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 15, 2017
Blackboard has a lot of good people in the Transact department. Hard work, helping our customers get the most of their software. I enjoyed excellent management in the Customer Support division.
Client Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Doylestown, PAAugust 21, 2016
Blackboard is a great company to work for. The management team in Doylestown is the best. Work/life balance is very important so we rarely work over 40 hours a week besides back to school season where we may have to work an extra hour or two.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
more happy hours
Its ideal for students who is looking for partime work
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 30, 2017
Its a great place for students. The atmosphere is great it can be stressful at times but overall a great company to work for.
Pros
Great management, supervisors
Cons
To much layoffs
Productive with occasional games and potlucks
K-12 Representative (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TX 76543October 18, 2016
Relaxed days at work
Learned about enrollment to online schools
Management told you what you needed to know
coworker were interactive
The hardest part was they had a high turn over rate and our department began closing
Most enjoyment is part of the job is that they have incentives, such as monetary and performance competitions
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Blackboard review
Operation Center Advisor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KY 42503October 24, 2016
Blackboard is a good place to start for someone just entering the job market. However, the job culture can be rather toxic at times you will constantly be shifted around with minimal input as to where you are going in the office. The people you work with are good at what they do the people you work for will drop you as soon as suits them.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
The Culture
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAMarch 17, 2017
I enjoyed working for Blackboard, but was laid off due to decrease in the work I was hired to do. I supported their largest customer and if I had not gotten laid off I would still be working there today.
Pros
Free Coffee, Soda & Juice
Cons
Was laid off
No support, bad environment for tedious duties.
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Washington DCSeptember 19, 2016
Most instructional designers working in the call center environment are placed in 3 ft cubicles with no way to block the sound coming from agents and Quality Assurance personnel. With the expectations put forth, the environment makes it very difficult to maintain professionalism while conducting calls with clients. The manager of the team does not understand the systems or workflow, and is only in place to carry out initiatives from the director of operations. Do not expect to receive support.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blackboard Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.