Blackhawk Technical College Employee Reviews

BTC library creates a calm work environment with continuous educational opportinities
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 28, 2016
I learn variety of researching techniques, the library of congress shelf organization format and the ins and outs of library functions. Management is supportive of personal as well as academic growth. Co-workers work well together each finding the other's strengths. The hardest part of the job is talking quietly. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping students, supporting their learning and communication styles and seeing their success!
Pros
flexible break schedule
Cons
physical environment such as lighting and temperature control
Good environment
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIFebruary 3, 2016
My experience at BTC has been wonderful the staff and students are always friendly and helpful. If you have a question that needs asked you don't need to fear asking it. I really enjoy jobs that allow me to feel very comfortable at work.
Pros
able to do homework while working
Cons
Sometimes slow with little actual work
calm quiet enviroment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WINovember 4, 2015
I enjoy setting up the library for student use. I like to help students with their research projects. I love the aspect of customer service and take pride in my job.
Pros
Lunch Break
Cons
It is often too quiet slow and boring
Great satisfaction improving career possibilities for students
instructor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIOctober 31, 2015
My co-workers are passionate about helping people improve their career opportunities. The students are motivated and enthusiastic which makes working with them a pleasure. Management doesn't listen to opposing opinions. My schedule is flexible other than class times and office hours. The benefits have taken a big hit since the state governor has implemented changes. Every year for the past three years, staff and faculty live in fear of losing their jobs.
Pros
Passionate, committed staff
Cons
Constant budget uncertainties
Horrible managed bus program
former bus driver (Former Employee) –  Janesville wiJuly 8, 2015
Technical colleges are run by business people who don't treat employees equal and have double standards. Come up with standards as it went along.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hostile work enviroment
Innovative and engaging place to work
Dean of Protective Services (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 20, 2015
As one of the Academic Deans within the Technical College System was a very rewarding experience. I started with Blackhawk in the middle of the re-education process for displaced GM workers. Working with a number of adults returning to college along with newly graduated high school students was a very interesting mix. During my employment the managerial staff was extremely supportive and motivated its middle management staff to think outside of the box. I became committed to prividing career pathways for students and worked deligently with recruitment and retention. Coming from a law enforcement career to higher education was a bit of a challenge. New terminology and practices put me on a learning curve, but I was able to adapt quite well. Learning how to supervise instructional staff versus law enforcement personell was a bit difficult at first, but turned out to be the most enjoyable part of my job. Overall my eperience with BTC was positive, productive and a learning experienc.
Pros
Working with students and program coordination
Cons
Distance to travel back and forth from work
Learning
Student (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 7, 2015
I have learned many thing regarding business management and culinary arts. Most of the teachers are incredible. The classes are interesting.
NURSING INStructor (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 17, 2015
If your goal is to provide a strong learning environment for students, you may have difficulty here. Management seeks to control the learning environment, instead education should be controlled by trusted faculty. Additionally, job security is poor.
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 17, 2015
Helped college students to get the right resources for them to succeed in their classes. I checked out books and checked them in and put them back to their proper places on the shelves. I would make sure the books was in good shape and made sure the magazines were up to date.
Pros
Worked with different people
Cons
I could only work 30 hours a week
Student Ambassador and Mentor
Student Ambassador and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJanuary 1, 2015
As an ambassador for the school, I am a representative for the school for incoming students and the community. Around campus, I mainly help with tours of the school for new students.

Being a mentor, I receive one or two mentees for the semester and help them throughout their first semester on campus. This is ongoing throughout the semester.

This gives me an opportunity to meet new students on campus, and develop myself as a leader being in positions where people are looking to me to help them out.
Pros
Meeting new people
Good place to make great friends
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 29, 2014
Help students find reports, assist with computer questions.
Pros
Make friends
Cons
only 10 hours week
Rewarding
Licensed Continuing Education Instructor-Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIFebruary 26, 2014
Great staff and motivated students. A wonderful place for learning
Progress is Important
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Janesville,WIJanuary 6, 2014
I get the pleasure of helping individuals learn things; a process in helping them become successful students and members of society.
Fun and productive place
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WiDecember 2, 2013
Tutor students around the campus and answer any questions.
Pros
Working
Cons
N/A
Blackhawk Technical College
IT Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WISeptember 6, 2013
he Blackhawk Technical College Central Campus is located midway between Beloit and Janesville. Situated on over 80 acres of partially wooded prairie, the campus is home for most of BTC's programs and services. The campus is easily accessible from Prairie Road (County Highway G) and Highway 51.

This comprehensive technical college facility comprises over 200,000 square feet. It includes instructional classrooms, shops and labs for accounting, marketing, word processing, administrative assistant, legal secretary, fire science, criminal justice, child care services, HVAC/R, welding, and machine tool. Also located on the Central Campus is a technical center integrating labs for electronics, electro-mechanical and mechanical design; and a health occupations complex for nursing, nursing assistant, dental assistant and hygiene, radiography, and health unit coordinator. A technical library; media production and telecommunications center; child care center; bookstore; and food service, with seating for 600 are also housed on the Central Campus. Seminar and teleconferencing facilities are also available.

A Student Services Center is available to provide students with a variety of assistance programs. Facilities include offices for guidance, admissions and registration, placement, financial aids, veterans' affairs, minority student services, and student activities. Vocational testing and career assessment are available through the Student Services' Career Center.

Facilities for individualized learning and remedial education are also located at the Central Campus. Parking, accommodating
  more... approximately 1,200 vehicles, is available on the Central Campus, and bus service from Beloit and Janesville is also provided for students' convenience.  less
Graduate
Work Study CNC Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJuly 18, 2013
I am a recent graduate from BTC seeking employment in my field
Excellent Instruction in the Welding field
Welding Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 2, 2013
I am honored to have recieved my weld instruction from the extremely qualified teachers at Blackhawk Technical College
seasonal
WORK STUDY SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 7, 2013
This job was so long ago i dont exactly remember what i did. I met students and staff when i helped with collecting assignments. Made packets for staff, answered phones and made copies.
Co-workers were nice and brought me candy and/or cupcakes daily.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
pay was too low, no benefits
Poorly run by people who don't know what they are doing.
Program Faculty (Former Employee) –  Janesville WIFebruary 16, 2013
Technical colleges are run by business people who think students are customers. They will cover up student cheating and blame staff for student behavior.
Pros
pay benefits
Cons
unsafe working conditions and hostile work environment
Working at Blackhawk Technical College gave me the opportunity to develop the needed skills for starting my new career.
Office Assistant in the Business Office (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJanuary 22, 2013
Great place to work for. The staff and faculty are all very supportive to the students. I learned alot about working with the public, using various office equipment and working in an office setting.
Pros
learning to use the different office equipment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blackhawk Technical College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2