Blain's Farm & Fleet (Blain Supply, Inc.)

Blain's Farm & Fleet (Blain Supply, Inc.) Employee Reviews in United States

Obese sedentary female accountants run the company.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sycamore, ILJuly 24, 2016
This is not your grandfathers Farm and Fleet. It is cut throat retail filled with mean girls.They are jealous of young athletic men. Store manager is scared of some of the tattle tale employees.If you help a customer in somebody else's department because no one is available, the dept mgr will figure out a way to stick it to you. If they can't or won't bust shoplifters they will spy on the employees looking for obscure reasons to fire them. Turnover was huge, they almost expect new employees will quit someday. The management was mostly upstairs watching the security cameras, they did little heavy lifting or putting stock away. This was reinforced by their blue shirts, the grunts all wore red. No one cared about the stores sales numbers, even though we all wasted time every morning listening to them.But I understand being only paid an hourly wage does this to most people.
Pros
two t-shirts for the price of one, also a good physical work out
Cons
management listens to whimsical emotions not rational thought
Strong, family based company that makes you feel like you're part of a team.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Roscoe, ILJuly 11, 2016
I was fortunate enough to have been above to move up and around quite a bit throughout the company. I made many life long friends and always left every opportunity with a positive learning experience. As a retail company, you see a lot of managers move in and out, up and around, but it's always nice to make acquaintances and keep them for many years. From part time high school kids, to the CEO and owner of the company, I have encountered so many loving, genuinely caring people.
The company, as a whole, is generous and BEYOND understanding when it comes to family emergencies, life changes, and tragedies.
Pros
Every other weekend off, which is almost unheard of in retail. Most holidays are off and paid.
Production and Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 5, 2016
I enjoyed working with a team and the responsibilities I had. I originally applied for a cashier position and then later decided that was too boring for me and my managers had no problem finding me a spot in the floor and a sales associate. My manager was very flexible with my scool schedule and understood that school came first.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
I always have to close.
Great Company But Some Free Time
Hardware Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 23, 2016
Typical day is pretty steady. Management is decent and the co-workers are good. Hardest part to deal with is constant fill in of other departments. Other than that they have okay pay and decent benefits.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Constant fill in of other departments
Not the best company to work for.
Bookkeeper, Part - time (Current Employee) –  Belvidere, ILMay 9, 2016
It's guaranteed that you will get some hours a week but never what you need. The management can be hit or miss. Although they are very good about giving you days off if you need them if you put in at least two weeks notice.
Pros
See ads before they're open to the public
Cons
No discount
Fun place to work
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 3, 2016
This was a good part time job for me while I was at college. I stocked shelves and helped customers when they came in the store. I enjoyed talking to many different people but I didn't enjoy the being inside for 8 hours straight.
Fast Paced Environment that Requires Optimal Customer Service Skills
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIApril 19, 2016
A typical day at work would included:
customer service and interaction, money handling, cleaning and straightening of the work station, and daily sales.

I learned a lot about the retail industry, meeting company goals, being a self motivated worker, and how to provide the customer with a positive shopping experience.

The management at Blain's Farm & Fleet consisted of one manager and three assistant managers. I rarely needed to interact with the manager but did work more closely with the assistant managers and found them all to be very positive, pleasant people.

My co-workers were very helpful (especially during my first week) and were all like minded in sharing a positive and productive attitude throughout the store.

The hardest part of the job was memorizing the phone line extensions, and getting used to the specific cash register program that Blain's Farm & Fleet employed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was exceeding personal and professional goals while interacting with the customers. It was always nice to see returning customers and establish friendly lines of communication with them.
Pros
Great work environment, friendly staff, and reward programs for meeting certain goals
Cons
Scheduling difficulties
Retail Managemnet
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIApril 16, 2016
Managers are under paid and work over 60 hours a week. The family atmosphere that once was apart of the Blains Family no longer exists. No recongantion for those who are doing a good job.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Hours and Pay
Good first job
Tire Desk Associate/ Service Center Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 24, 2016
Was my very first job was a great starting one,Gave me lot of perspective on work and customer service. Most of the managers were great and understanding.
Has Potential.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockton, ILFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day as warehouse is pretty much unload trucks with forklift, stock bulk pallets with a pallet jack, and help customers on the fly with their orders. You get adequate training with the forklift, that was fun learning that. I learned that working in the warehouse at this job is harder than what they deem it to be. You will be walking around a lot, and you will have to be able to lift heavy items with or without help. There is also a flaw with their system, customers will purchase an item, but won't take it from the sales floor. They will drive around the back, and you are to acquire the item for the customer. If you do not do this like you are Superman (super fast) you will get nagged about why you aren't taking care of the customer. You will be told that employees are informing the manager you aren't doing your job, but in turn you are which causes a little frustration. Well, it takes time, time to go to the middle of the store to get said item, then go back to the warehouse to give them their items. It's just about 20-30 seconds that you, from the ticket pop-up to when you are getting the items for the customer you will hear the call about not doing your job, but you know you are. If the customer purchased the item, they should pick it up if it's for them to see. If it's heavy like food, item in the yard, fencing, etc then it's understandable for that, but to require a warehouse person to travel the whole store to find an item that is acquirable by their means then they should get it.

For the most part, you are on your own, there will be no one to
  more... help you, and in turn the customers will get angry. I like to follow guidelines because they are there for a reason, but they seem to want to break them. If a box says teamllift, I suggest you do it because your health is the most important thing; sometimes you might get someone to help you. They do not follow up with you on anything, you have to hunt down managers to get information.

The co-workers are the best part about the job, they are knowledgeable, very helpful, and always happy. Also, they will send spies on you to see what you're doing, this made me feel really uncomfortable, and people just seem to talk about others like they don't know sound doesn't travel. They will talk about you while you are nearby, commenting on how you work, and such. Employees will also know information about you before you know yourself, which I didn't really like. If you just mind your business, and do your job then you have nothing to worry about; you just have to be super efficient because if you have a few slip ups, they don't like that. Again, they didn't communicate to me on how they wanted things done (lack of communication), and then would use this against me. I do as I'm told, I can not read minds. I'm all about doing things the right way, the correct way; first time.

Overall, the environment is awesome, the people you work with are super friendly, and always down to help you. It's a fun, challenging place to work. I would suggest working here because it's a nice experience to have under your belt. I'll miss seeing them, but it was time to part. I don't like being a negative person, but the truth is what it is.

I hope this review helped you out, and have a nice day !
Pros
Great employees, nice pay, fun to work.
Cons
Lack communication, not specific on details, expecations too high
fun, friendly place to work
Management Intern (Current Employee) –  Platteville, WIJanuary 13, 2016
Blain's is a great company. I learned a lot throughout my internship. Met a lot of fun, friendly people. It's a great place to work.
productive
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILJanuary 5, 2016
i have a productive day at work everyday,because everybody work as a team. And my co-workers are very much positive. which keeps me positive and also makes my day smooth.
Warehouse
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ILOctober 28, 2015
Great employees good company to work for just the store management are too young and it is really obvious they dont have the experience on how to treat customers nor the staff. They treat employees unfairly and will never back their employees up on decisions just fire them to cover their own mistakes instead of owning up to them.
Tire Desk
Tire Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Freeport, IlSeptember 29, 2015
Are promised everything in interview. They will not followup. Per hour wage was less then promised. Was told full time in less then one month. Did not happen even though was told I am a great employee.

Looking for new job. Not satisfied. Walmart pays more. Management favors lazy people.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
see review
retail
DESK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 30, 2015
It is your typical retail job with all of the pros and cons that come with the territory. The environment was really childish.
Cons
no employee discounts, store manager made work environment stressfull
great place to work with amazing people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ILAugust 17, 2015
I've been with this company for 5 years and it's always a please going into work every day. These people i work with are always cheerful and friendly and making working there fun.
Blains Farm and Fleet
Carts and carry out (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILAugust 9, 2015
I did carts and carry out, Was a easy job Some days were physically demanding, most co workers were great, management was good. would do what the management would tell me to. spent a lot of time in the warehouse moving freight with palate jack, picking boxes out of the shelf's.
Pros
easy job right outta highschool
Cons
not enough pay or advancement oppertunities
nice people, great boss
warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  janesville wiJuly 27, 2015
I think this job is great although I do not like people telling on each other to make themselves look better. Other than that this place has good kind hearted people and I will be here for a long time.
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
I dont get free money
Productive fast-paced environment with many resonsibilities that teaches you to multi-task.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Geneseo, ILJuly 8, 2015
My typical day consists of operating the forklift, checking in product from freight-trucks and helping customers load their vehicles with items purchased. I learned a number of maintenance techniques while working here including operating electric pallet jacks, floor scrubbers, and item-scan guns.The best part of my job is the interaction I have with customers and the feeling of gratitude i get when I know they have a had a pleasant experience.
Pros
Experience in customer service/sales that I can take with me anywhere.
Cons
No room to advance in the comapany.
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 20, 2015
Cashier

• Process each customer’s items for payment, including greeting each customer, scanning customers items into system and receicving payment in the form of cash, credit or check

• Process coupons, promotions, work orders and rainchecks as presented

• Ensure all customer purchases located in the warehouse are correctly entered and called to the warehouse for customer pick-up

• Offer Blain’s Farm and Fleet credit card to each customer and Best Plans on eligible products
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
No set hours

2.9