Blain's Farm & Fleet (Blain Supply, Inc.)

Blain's Farm & Fleet (Blain Supply, Inc.) Employee Reviews

It Pays the bills
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIOctober 15, 2017
Some of the nicest people to work with at the store level. It is a shame that your favorite manager will eventually have to leave you. I am not surprised thought, the turnover rate is high. I believe this is due to the hours and stress you have to deal with as a manager.

The recurring theme from corporate is "cut help" or "there isn't a budget for help" The hardest part of the job is trying be everywhere at once. The most enjoyable part has to be the people you work with and the satisfaction you gain from helping customers.

As a floor associate you can expect that you are gonna be pulled in multiple directions at once. There is so little help that you will end up covering multiple departments at once.

What I have learned in my time there is that team work and communication is crucial. If you can become close enough to finish each others sentences then you can pretty much conquer anything your team puts its mind to.
Pros
a day off per week and only have to work every other weekend. Major Holidays, PTO. Insurance and 401K
Cons
work ever other weekends. Some nights. You end up working extra hours to keep up. lack of help
Don't waste your time.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ILOctober 6, 2017
This place is a disaster. I've worked in retail a lot and after being at F & F for a few days, I couldn't understand how the doors were still open. I attended a seminar in Janesville and the disconnect between the home office and the employees was embarrassing. Someone mentioned problems getting products on to the floor and when the question was posed to the rest of us (about 100 employees company-wide) virtually everyone's hand went up. The computer systems in-store are out-of-date and antiquated. This company needs to make big changes if it wants to stay competitive or, more likely, wants to avoid bankruptcy within 5 years.
Not worth it
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 14, 2017
U can't support a family with ot give u . I was there for 10 yrs and did everything I could make it work . Made more money then people worked there for 30yrs . Wasn't worth it . You cap at 15 bucks an hr and you cap 3 weeks vacation after been 10yrs
Pros
Experience
Cons
Taking advantage of
You'll most likely be miserable...
Automotive Sales (Former Employee) –  Loves Park, ILSeptember 9, 2017
Worked here for 10 months in automotive sales there where good days and bad days. Management usually are "Farm and Fleet robots" who worry about credit card sales (zero commission) and expect people to work by themselves that haven't been trained. My first day working by myself was my third day on the job and it was black Friday last year! I was constantly told to work the tire desk and never had been trained the computer system and products they sold, so customers got horrible customer service. Called in sick once in February and its always a 10 min phone conversation to call in sick and explain why. Usually 4 managers are working at a giving time and they don't talk to each other so there where many times I'd be told by one manager to do something and then told the opposite thing by another. I've had management be aggressive towards me (verbally) which forced me to stick up for myself and take the chance of getting into trouble. Its a job but a lousy one. I've worked in retail for 6 years at few different places and this was the worst job I've ever had. Try a smaller retail outlet it was a better route, at least in my opinion.
Pros
flexable hours, some good co workers
Cons
managment, pay, enviorment
its good for high school students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 6, 2017
Its basically good for high students that are look for first time job, and good to help for their college. What is also a plus is you get bonus after six months.
Pros
discount card.
Cons
short breaks.
too many managers to deal with
Floor assistance (Former Employee) –  Geneseo, ILSeptember 1, 2017
I liked my job as a floor associate and helping customers but they gave you too many managers and orders from said managers at the same time. They do not pay you well enough for being a floor associate with everything you are required to do.
Pros
lots of merchandise
Cons
not enough pay or hours
fun
SMALL ENGINE TECH & AUTOMOTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  IowaAugust 27, 2017
The people there where fun to work with and where vey helpful, if you had questions on anything there was always someone right there to answer any questions that you may have.
Pros
lunches
Cons
customers
horrable place to work
associate, then manager (Former Employee) –  not sayingAugust 26, 2017
if you find yourself there best to leave as soon as you can, everyone from store management up are out to get you one way or another. your voice goes unheard and no advancement unless you brown nose. always watch your back and dont speak up cause your job could be in danger for saying anything.
Pros
non
Cons
back stabbers, if you dont like a knife in your back
Not As Great As It Seems
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 17, 2017
I'm not a fan of the work schedule. 50 hour work weeks minimum, sometimes you're working 6 days in a row, every other weekend you're working. Shifts aren't the same every day so it's hard to really get in a rhythm with things. Most days you feel like you're just babysitting grown adults. You don't get to or really need to use your brain. Mostly manual labor. Definitely not something that requires a college degree. Company as a whole is very behind other leading companies. They try to compete with them but they really just place more stress on store associates by overloading them with tasks that should be broken down into multiple departments. Company has unrealistic expectations.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Long Hours
fun
Auto Technician (Current Employee) –  RomreovilleAugust 1, 2017
this is one place that I call home and I enjoyed get up to go to work I tried my best to be the best with what I do there mistake happens I wish I can take ever thing back
Depends on the department your working
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIJuly 25, 2017
Working the floor and the office are completely different.
Working the floor can be more challenging because of the stocking and supervisors. There were at least 3 different one giving non matching directions.
I loved working the office - multiple job functions -
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ILJuly 20, 2017
Everyday at work we had a purpose and we had a goal we wanted to reach. Teams and departments would together to complete the common goal. The work place was very uplifting and very positive to be around.
I wouldn't recommend working at the Moline Il store.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 16, 2017
Manager of cashiers is rude and shows favoritism. Very cliquey and gang up on you. Very unprofessional and should practice what the training tells you how to be towards customers and fellow workers. Employees gossip and talk bad about others, especially new hires. It was a very disappointing experience.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Favoritism, unprofessional, rude, cliques.
very family orianted
Service technician (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILJuly 10, 2017
I give this place a thumbs up, very organized and well kept, it is pleasing when workers come up to you and ask if you need help instead of running from customers
Great Benefits.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIJune 30, 2017
Not a bad place to work. Excellent benefits. Closed most holidays. If you work hard you will get raises besides the annual review. Downfall is they are open weekends.
Good employer with opportunities for advancement
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJune 23, 2017
I have worked for Farm and Fleet for multiple years. They are a very flexible and fair employer. I had lots of opportunities for advancement, although this did require relocation. Overall I was very pleased working there and would recommend it for anyone getting into retail.
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIJune 21, 2017
Organization and Management were the worst things in the work place. I had a fun position to work, and I gained a ton of knowledge but there was no advancement, and you had to work 10+ years to advance to department lead, which only paid $10/hr. I wasn't to thrilled and it was hard to keep up with my life outside of the workplace because of how much I worked.
Cons
Short Breaks, Management, Organization
Decent
Department Head of Ecomm (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIJune 17, 2017
This is job is a good job to create a career with, however, in my case it is difficult to be promoted (I have been waiting 3 years already), and the money is decent but never enough. Management has tendencies to show favoritism. If you work hard, and come do your job and go home. I would say this isn't a bad place to work for.
Pros
Learn Stuff, Hours of Operations
Cons
Management At Times
Retail
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Geneseo, ILJune 15, 2017
Working in retail only really works if you absolutely love dealing with people. Nobody is ALWAYS in a good mood which makes it difficult, but you have to make sure the bad days don't outweigh the good.
Fun work place, amazing co workers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILJune 12, 2017
I liked working there. Needed more pay overall. The managers were always nice and understanding when it came to time off and emergencies. Over all a good place to work during school.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blain's Farm & Fleet (Blain Supply, Inc.). Our community is ready to answer.

2.8