Blain's Farm and Fleet

Blain's Farm and Fleet Employee Reviews

Just a pretty awful place to work.
Men's Department Head (Former Employee), Muscatine, IowaJune 16, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Lots, low moral of employee's, management likes to ignore problems between employee's, they expect 200 percent from you and don't give anything back.
The work is great but some of the people and management are terrible. Low pay and the insurance is so awful. Favoritism is also a big problem. Management has their favorites who are rewarded continually. The will not discipline people because they are always trying to get people hired. So they won't face issues that need to be addressed.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Racine WIJune 2, 2015
I learned how to work with a team. I also learned that you need everyone to get something done. but that i can also work by myself.
Blain's Farm and Fleat: A great and refreshing corporate experience
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Montgomery, ILMay 26, 2015
Farm and Fleet was very good to me. Over the past six years through my high school and college career I would continue to be accepted back into their workforce while I was on winter and summer breaks.

A day at work included cleaning various fixtures around the store and fixing things. Often I would be given random tasks that the managers had around the store like painting, fixing holes in walls, reorganizing warehouses, etc. All of this was almost completely unsupervised, I would be told what to do and then be left to do it by myself. This was a role that I had to earn, as most employees in the store were not given the freedoms I had.

By earning this I learned how to self-manage my time and work ethic, and how to be responsible without anybody directly overseeing me. This is what I believe to be my biggest takeaway from my time at Farm and Fleet.
one the nicer retail stores I worked for
cashier (Former Employee), usaMay 17, 2015
Pros: getting most of the holidays off since the store is closed those days
Cons: part time at minimum wage and dealing with the public
I worked for then as a cashier for very short time. I had to leave because I couldn't afford to work for minimum wage at part time. my coworkers were some of the nicest people I've ever met and the management was very nice when I explain to them why I had to leave to find a full time job and higher pay. the only part of the job I didn't like was having to practically harass customers about taking out a credit card or a replacement plan or their zip code.
fun place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Onalaska, WIMarch 19, 2015
great people to work for, great management team, always having a fun time, but at the same time, always a professional work place.
This Store Management would never run a business that I would ever own!
Service desk/Cashier (Current Employee), Morton IllinoisMarch 19, 2015
Pros: the elderly customers are great!
Cons: lack of communication, management needs to get a job working with the public and get a personality
I dont recommend this store to anyone, especially if you are a social person or you need acknowledged for your work it won't happen. The management is to say the least the most unorganized, most ineffective, unpleasant, insufficient, group of management type people I have ever seen. They are supposed to be our leaders however they can't seem to lead themselves, they never smile to the customers or the staff. I have seen a manager argue with a customer just to be right? I was in shock! I think it is time to clean house and get some people who want to be there and want the store to be successful. Management has bullied staff about being ill or needing a break or something to help ease some pain of their body...actually wanting them to lie about it. ..against the law! Schedule always late...not family oriented at all, lied to as a staff member by management, but yet you are expected to still perform over 100%. . No breaks at times even after 5 hours of being there. If they do come out of the office to you they are rude to you even while you are waiting on a customer so unprofessional...very embarrassing. I wonder if they have different management training cause I really didn't think there was so many cold and almost hateful management people in one place need to balance it out...Not good for staff morale at all!
n/a
Cashier (Former Employee), Bourbonnais, ILJanuary 13, 2015
I was a cashier, which required me to take in money and bag people's goods.
Great Entry position
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Clinton, IAJuly 15, 2014
Was a great experience while it lasted. Got offered a better opportunity to pursue my career.
wounderful work place
Tire Associate (Former Employee), Bourbonnais, ILJune 24, 2014
Pros: hour lunch, great way to build people skills, something i loved doing
Cons: stressful, low hours, low pay
The day usually would start with getting programs up and running about five minutes before store would open. Then we would go on to our daily routine of helping customers with getting there car inspection or fixed. We also had to pull all parts and tires for jobs for that day or the coming day. The jobs was really easy once you got use to the day to day task and computer program. Co-workers would vary per person. The best thing is you see and speak to new people every day.
unproductive work enviornment
Customer service/ cashier (Former Employee), Morton, ILMay 17, 2014
Cons: not always getting your break, not working with you on your schedule
inconsistent work environment
no benefits
no discounts
did not have much training
Operated cash register on a daily basis
Retail Cashier (Current Employee), Cedar Falls, IAMarch 11, 2014
Greeted customers and helped them with questions and directed them to merchandise. Operated the register and handled money.
Worst Retailer to work for
employee (Former Employee), MidwestDecember 5, 2013
Pros: holidays company is closed
Cons: how much time do you have?
Blain's Farm and Fleet is the worst retailer to work for in America. The management is totally clueless and only communicates with very few selected people in the store. We filter through multiple complaints each day and management does not even take time to call most of the customers back. Warehouse staff thinks they own the store and management never checks up on them, which is why they spend so much time milking the clock! Most of warehouse people spend a lot of time walking around the store looking busy, but they are really just gossiping about everyone else. If management would get off of their little phones and out of their office, they might just see that there is more stock in the back than on the floor! As for the guys in the shop, they have it made because if they don't feel like working then they just tell customers they are busy and their schedule is full. Its ashame, the farmers are the hardworking folks who helped to build the company, but the company doesn't value any of their customers, especially the farmers. I would recommend working at Farm and Fleet to my friends who are slackers because this is the perfect place for them, but I would not recommend this place to anyone who wants to work at a place they can be proud of.
Not the best company I have worked for
Technician 1/Entry Level (Former Employee), Waukesha, WINovember 26, 2013
A typical day at work is very routine. You would clock in, change into uniform, check scheduler, pull out trucks, and wait for the doors to open. I did learn a lot about working on vehicles and easier ways to figure out what is wrong with the vehicle. The management staff was often on different pages, tend to openly favor people, and the communication skills were not all together the best. My co-workers for the most part were helpful and had very little problems getting along. Hardest part opf the job would have to be the fact that there are ten people on at any given time and each had their own way of taking care of problems or fixing them. The best part was the way when needed my co-workers would pull together and make things much easier and would jump in and give ideas and information on how to do the job better.
productive and fun workplace
Automotive Technician (Former Employee), Janesville, WINovember 18, 2013
I loved the people, the job was awesome, the only thing poor about it was the hourly wage.
Educational Job
Service Technician (Former Employee), Bourbonnais, ILNovember 4, 2013
I learned a lot more about automobiles than I ever had before, worked with great colleagues, and worked hard everyday to succeed in my job.
Good Student Job
Part-Time Warehouse Employee (Former Employee), Cedar Falls, IAOctober 15, 2013
Pros: fun people, easy work, flexible
Cons: management capabilities
I worked in the warehouse during college. I enjoyed the position and the people I worked with. Management was not as educated as I would expect but they make it work.
Great learning experience
Retail Clerk (Former Employee), Sterling, ILOctober 2, 2013
This company allowed me to be a full time student and a full time employee. I learned how to balance my schedule and manage my time.
Strict regulations with a "pick-and-choose" managment
Cashier (Former Employee), Onalaska, WIAugust 20, 2013
Pros: steady schedule, easy job perfomance
Cons: managment, strict regulations
The job at Blain's Farm and Fleet was as simple as it can get.

Cashiering.

With that job though came certain expectations of credit card sales as well as product protection plans. Disciplinary actions are taken upon those who do not meet standard quota. This happens even though they claim to not require sales of the aforementioned extras. Also, certain employees ranging in age and tenure apparently aren't held to strict regulations like the rest of the cashiers. This is an example of the "pick-and-choose" managerial discipline present in the company.

The regulations at Farm and Fleet are strict enough to where a conversation with a fellow co-worker while at your registers is frowned upon.

I noticed during my employment that a certain few individuals holding managerial positions play "favorites". And with that comes, of course, the "not favorites". I was one of those.

After several warnings and write ups, my manager found an excuse worthy enough to lead to my termination.

I have boycotted this company after my employment experiences.
typical of retail
Tire Specialist/Automotive Clerk (Former Employee), Montgomery, ILAugust 12, 2013
Pros: consistent full time hours
Cons: strict on t-shirt tucked in routine, much miscommunication between departments
A job that I acceled at very easily with my enthusiam for the automotive industry. though pay was ok at the time, my amount of experience meritted much more compensation, which was hastily offered to me upon me quitting. Management was fair for what was provided. I did well at my duties as lead tire salesman for my store and hastily created work orders for many other automotive services and appointment creation.
Productive workplace.
Automotive Service Technician Level 1 (Current Employee), La Crosse, WIApril 1, 2013
Cons: short-to-none lunches.
Clock in, get working on vehicles. If not busy, I end up cleaning. I learned a lot of automotive knowledge that will help myself someday. The management is decent. Co-workers work well together and are very great to be around. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers. Most enjoyable part is definitely being able to work on vehicles.