Blake Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
You do NOT want to work here
Director (Former Employee) –  Blake Medical CenterApril 11, 2016
This hospital is owned by HCA and you do not want to work here. The leadership team says they are focused on patients but they are only focused on numbers (which translate into profits for shareholders). I personally watched many people be treated poorly and I was appalled. This group does not treat their staff with integrity and fairness and under no circumstances would I ever work for this company again. Sadly, they turn over leadership pretty frequently because they are only interested in financial performance. I have been in healthcare for a long time and I can tell you that the executive leadership team here has very little integrity. Healthcare is hard enough and staff must be treated with respect and dignity. Transparency is the only way to improve--and this organization is not transparent with regards to safety, fairness, or any other information as it relates to performance. Be aware, they offer competitive salaries because it is the only way they can get people to come and work there but trust me when I tell you that the money is not worth it. If you are personally vested in your job and you care about patients, you will not stay here long.
Pros
Good benefits, competitive salary
Cons
Everything else related to HCA and Blake Medical Center
Serious difficulty with interdepartmental communications
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 8, 2015
The facility threw itself into being a trauma center without adequate staff preparation and training, and is now beginning to set up a burn unit, also without adequate preparation.

While the work is no harder than any other hospital, the atmosphere of the trauma staff is not conducive to good interaction with the laboratory and surgical staff, and there have been many times that the trauma staff's failure to adequately inform the laboratory or the surgery staff of the patient's status resulted in serious, unnecessary delays.

Recently, all microbiology was outsourced, causing several persons to lose their jobs abruptly, and the result has been a delay in patient care due to a delay in turnaround time, especially for blood and wound cultures. For a possible burn center, this is not acceptable.

The laboratory management's standard answer to problems is "I didn't know this was happening." There is very little oversight to reduce staff tardiness and failure to show for shifts, and this is bringing down the morale of all lab personnel.

I enjoy the work, and most of the people I work with, but the problems make me feel that I can't give my best for the patient.
Beautiful envir0nment/great salary
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 2, 2015
Has great people who are dedicated to
Caring for people. Alot ofoppurtunity
For professional growth. Has become very
Challenging due to the higher accuity of patients
And the nursing shortage
Pros
BEAUTIFUL ENVIRONMENT COMPETITIVESALARY
Cons
LONG SHIFTS
money oriented and not patient safety oriented, employees last priority
Ultrasonographer (Former Employee) –  Medical ImagingJuly 2, 2015
Management was biased and unfair.
Co-workers were like family
A lot of variety and never a dull moment
Seasonal hospital so productivity was of utmost priority
most enjoyable was working with a fabulous group of Radiologists
Pros
co-workers
great team work
Transporter/medical imaging receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLOctober 15, 2015
working there can be stress full but my two departments I love we work as a team to get thing done and efficently and always helping other out
Great employees, heavy work load, unrealistic goals
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 14, 2015
Unfortunately the corporation is looking for machines not employees. Every year we are expected to make cuts or "deep dives" or some such nonsense that they come up with.
I have worked for this company for eight years and have witnessed a very rapid growth in our volumes due to corporate pushes for us to become a trauma center and now a burn center....one of only 12 in the state of Florida.
Our facility is too small to keep up with the amount of patients that we are now seeing in our facility.
Patients are being treated in the hallways, lobby and just about anywhere they can prop up a chair. It's embarrassing that we are treating patients like "products" in an assembly line.......horrible patient care is given and random tests are ordered on patients that aren't even necessary because NO one actually takes the time to Talk to them and accurately diagnose them ......instead they just order a bunch of ridiculous tests that the patient doesn't even need just to make the "numbers and TIME" look good.......
Employees are overworked....staffing is kept at the bare minimum...and patient's suffer due to corporate greed........
Your probably wondering why I'm saying all this if I've been there for so long...........I'm done.........they win.......I've been broken!!!
Needs better equipment.
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton,FLDecember 10, 2012
Blake Medical Center overall is a decent employer. Blake does have a union which has greatly increased working conditions for the staff. Working conditions on the med-surg floors is rough. Blake still uses double occupancy rooms. With the addition of a computer desk for the nurses and larger beds than what was available in the 80's you have very cramped working conditions. HCA believes cheaper is better and applies this philosophy when buying equipment. No expenses is spared when it comes to remodeling a patient waiting area or re-skinning the outside of the building.

For the area Blake does offer decent wages. The benefits package is much to be desired but it is offered. Blake has a high census especially since becoming a provisional level 2 trauma center. Call-offs are probably going to be less frequent.
Pros
high census, benefits package, union representation
Cons
old or substandard equipment, lack of space in patient rooms.
excellent place to work
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 6, 2015
I enjoyed working there for 14 years , as a clinical pharmacist I had the opportunity to be participate in trauma rounds and expand my knowledge as a pharmacist also participated in reviewing patient charts and recommend drug therapy modification .It was a very nice work experience.
Great Learning Environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 20, 2015
I completed the twelve week orientation at this facility, and learned a great many things about becoming a quality nurse. I did feel that this particular unit was not a good fit for me.
management is awful..doesn't know the unit
RN (Former Employee) –  outpt surgeryNovember 16, 2012
co-workers were wonderful and everyone helped each other out. if it wasn't for the management i would probably still be there. hard work and the call was awful. management was not supportive of staff
Pros
co-workers
Cons
managment
All about the money
RN (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJanuary 21, 2015
Great location, nice, friendly staff, but administration is all about money at the end of the day. No concern for patient safety or staff and they are very pro union. Doctors are allowed to get away with almost anything as long as they are bringing in lots of patients and money.
Pros
friendly place, nice co-workers
Cons
money hungry and a law suit waiting to happen
Be careful
Surgical Tech (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLOctober 30, 2013
The management is threaten by people who can help make the OR run better. They like to pull you all direction and never stick up for you. The staff is great
Pros
staff
Cons
management and no lunch
great coworkers
chef (Former Employee) –  bradenton flDecember 11, 2012
I had the best coworkers but the management was horrible. their were too many bosses. Half the time u would get the same order 3 times becasue their was no communications
Everyone makes a difference
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLSeptember 7, 2012
Work at blake is great, except few people that have been there for years and do things not by the rules, disrespect others and no one take action to correct, affecting costumer service and team environment friendly.
Pros
free snacks and email motivating your work daily
Cons
staff do not work together and do not respect each other
389 bed hospital
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLDecember 18, 2014
389 bed hospital
National Stroke Center
Named one of America's top 100 hospitals
great place to work
rehab aide (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 22, 2013
my coworkers were really nice people. the pot lucks that they had frequently gace us a chance to interact. seeing the patients improve was very inspiring
Pros
helping people get better
Cons
some weekends required
Volunteer
Fund raising co-chair & Courier Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 25, 2014
I was a Courier Volunteer.
The other volunteers made the exp.
This Hosp. is very clean and seems like it would be a great place to work.
Pros
the people.
great company and people to work with
Radiology Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLOctober 17, 2013
Answered phones, filed xray films, put reports where needed. i enjoyed working with the people i worded with everyday. the doctors where great and i enjoyed it overall.
not good
Certified Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 19, 2014
mean people to work with. way overworked and underpaid. got to learn a few new things
Working with patients
Phlebotimist (Former Employee) –  Bradenton,FlMarch 11, 2012
Ginfg to the patients room drawing patients blood, and data entry
Pros
the hours