Blake Medical Center Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working here
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 7, 2017
Just had moved here from WI. Blake hired me right away. I worked weekends and enjoyed that since there wasn't any big wigs working. The only downfall is that they went by numbers. If your census went down they floated you or sent you home. I feel you can't give quality care if you are short handed on a floor
Best Boss ever
CATH LAB NURSE (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FL 34209May 29, 2017
I loved working at Blake Medical Center. I precepted various new nurses in their current position and always loved being part of such a great team. Busy lab
Pros
The people were great
Cons
work life balance
Job
LPN (Former Employee) –  LPNMay 9, 2017
I worked 12 hours nights I was LPN on the step down cardiac floor. The job could get hectic but I enjoyed the patients. I enjoyed working with the nurses I worked wit
Review
Staff Registered Nurse, Cardiac Pavillion (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 3, 2017
It was a nine bed unit, post open heart, with 2 nurses. Management was great, Teamwork was wonderful. I worked night shift so there were not that many resources.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Short breaks
Difficult environment to work
Department Secretary, Outpatient Surgery (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 27, 2017
Short staffed.
Management team was changed.
Structure of company has changed.
No support system for department of 40 staff members.
Management does not seem to care.
Hardest part of job - no direction.
Enjoyable - people I work with.
Poor Staffing Ratios
RN (Current Employee) –  Bradenton,March 11, 2017
Staffing is poor; this year they hired new managers and there have been many changes and re-structuring of units by services, like GI, burns, telemetry, etc. The acuity is higher than it used to be higher and the staffing ratio is unpredictable, mostly 6-7 patients, one or none nurse assistance, one charge nurse for two units and stationed outside the unit. We've had adequate staffing a only a few times. The equipment is old and in disrepair.
Benefits
Cons
Staffing ratios, old equipment/maintenace
Demanding
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJanuary 14, 2017
A demanding work environment. Management and administratively friendly. Little regard for safety of staff or patients. Nursing often has 8-10 patients each. The team work and collaboration with nurses is probably the best part of working here.

Interdepartmental relations are not always the best. Physicians tend to be rude and unresponsive to requests of nursing. Administration varies in reliability.
multiple opportunities for work
CLINICAL MANAGER OUTPATIENT SURGERY (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJanuary 3, 2017
Great coworkers, good orientation, room for advancement and always trying to advance to the latest cutting edge processes. Great surgeons and anesthesiologists.
Pros
great benefits, provides all services and opportunities
Cons
communication, staffing
nice place to work but busy
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLDecember 20, 2016
Blake is a nice hospital that has a lot of medical services to offer. A lot of good people work there. Only thing is it tends to be pretty busy most of the time.
Lmt
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 15, 2016
Did massage therapy and other modalities to reduce pain. electro-muscle stem, ultrasound, stretching and therapeutic exercise.
the hardest part of the job was when everyone is scheduled close together so it gets busy at times.
The best part was the schedule and great co-workers.
Pros
catered lunches
Cons
business
Fast paced ICU
ICU Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 21, 2016
3:1 staffing ratio in busy Trauma/Burn ICU. Great coworkers with excellent team playing attitude made most shifts bearable
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
understaffed
You do NOT want to work here
Director (Former Employee) –  Blake Medical CenterApril 11, 2016
This hospital is owned by HCA and you do not want to work here. The leadership team says they are focused on patients but they are only focused on numbers (which translate into profits for shareholders). I personally watched many people be treated poorly and I was appalled. This group does not treat their staff with integrity and fairness and under no circumstances would I ever work for this company again. Sadly, they turn over leadership pretty frequently because they are only interested in financial performance. I have been in healthcare for a long time and I can tell you that the executive leadership team here has very little integrity. Healthcare is hard enough and staff must be treated with respect and dignity. Transparency is the only way to improve--and this organization is not transparent with regards to safety, fairness, or any other information as it relates to performance. Be aware, they offer competitive salaries because it is the only way they can get people to come and work there but trust me when I tell you that the money is not worth it. If you are personally vested in your job and you care about patients, you will not stay here long.
Pros
Good benefits, competitive salary
Cons
Everything else related to HCA and Blake Medical Center
great team work
Transporter/medical imaging receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLOctober 15, 2015
working there can be stress full but my two departments I love we work as a team to get thing done and efficently and always helping other out
Great Learning Environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 20, 2015
I completed the twelve week orientation at this facility, and learned a great many things about becoming a quality nurse. I did feel that this particular unit was not a good fit for me.
Great employees, heavy work load, unrealistic goals
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 14, 2015
Unfortunately the corporation is looking for machines not employees. Every year we are expected to make cuts or "deep dives" or some such nonsense that they come up with.
I have worked for this company for eight years and have witnessed a very rapid growth in our volumes due to corporate pushes for us to become a trauma center and now a burn center....one of only 12 in the state of Florida.
Our facility is too small to keep up with the amount of patients that we are now seeing in our facility.
Patients are being treated in the hallways, lobby and just about anywhere they can prop up a chair. It's embarrassing that we are treating patients like "products" in an assembly line.......horrible patient care is given and random tests are ordered on patients that aren't even necessary because NO one actually takes the time to Talk to them and accurately diagnose them ......instead they just order a bunch of ridiculous tests that the patient doesn't even need just to make the "numbers and TIME" look good.......
Employees are overworked....staffing is kept at the bare minimum...and patient's suffer due to corporate greed........
Your probably wondering why I'm saying all this if I've been there for so long...........I'm done.........they win.......I've been broken!!!
excellent place to work
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 6, 2015
I enjoyed working there for 14 years , as a clinical pharmacist I had the opportunity to be participate in trauma rounds and expand my knowledge as a pharmacist also participated in reviewing patient charts and recommend drug therapy modification .It was a very nice work experience.
Beautiful envir0nment/great salary
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 2, 2015
Has great people who are dedicated to
Caring for people. Alot ofoppurtunity
For professional growth. Has become very
Challenging due to the higher accuity of patients
And the nursing shortage
Pros
Beautiful environment competitivesalary
Cons
Long shifts
money oriented and not patient safety oriented, employees last priority
Ultrasonographer (Former Employee) –  Medical ImagingJuly 2, 2015
Management was biased and unfair.
Co-workers were like family
A lot of variety and never a dull moment
Seasonal hospital so productivity was of utmost priority
most enjoyable was working with a fabulous group of Radiologists
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Serious difficulty with interdepartmental communications
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 8, 2015
The facility threw itself into being a trauma center without adequate staff preparation and training, and is now beginning to set up a burn unit, also without adequate preparation.

While the work is no harder than any other hospital, the atmosphere of the trauma staff is not conducive to good interaction with the laboratory and surgical staff, and there have been many times that the trauma staff's failure to adequately inform the laboratory or the surgery staff of the patient's status resulted in serious, unnecessary delays.

Recently, all microbiology was outsourced, causing several persons to lose their jobs abruptly, and the result has been a delay in patient care due to a delay in turnaround time, especially for blood and wound cultures. For a possible burn center, this is not acceptable.

The laboratory management's standard answer to problems is "I didn't know this was happening." There is very little oversight to reduce staff tardiness and failure to show for shifts, and this is bringing down the morale of all lab personnel.

I enjoy the work, and most of the people I work with, but the problems make me feel that I can't give my best for the patient.
All about the money
RN (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJanuary 21, 2015
Great location, nice, friendly staff, but administration is all about money at the end of the day. No concern for patient safety or staff and they are very pro union. Doctors are allowed to get away with almost anything as long as they are bringing in lots of patients and money.
Pros
Friendly place, nice co-workers
Cons
Money hungry and a law suit waiting to happen

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blake Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8