Blizzard Entertainment

Blizzard Entertainment Employer Reviews

Fun workplace, but little advancement.
Project Lead, Quality Assurance (Former Employee), Irvine, CAAugust 1, 2013
Little advancement opportunities. Feels like company is mismanaged at times. Very much an 'old boys club' feel.
A fun start but not much else
Game Master, Tier 2 (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJuly 30, 2013
Pros: good benefits, dorky, fun co-workers
Cons: terrible management, little to no possibility for advancement
Working for Blizzard was mostly fun and relaxed. At least, that's the atmosphere they wanted me to feel. What it boils down to, though, is that it has terrible management that will shift all the responsibility down on its underlings, with no accountability and no ability to make good decisions. Many people can say they hate their boss, but this also – more... means that there was no opportunity for advancement. I applied many times to the bottom-most positions of other departments only to be told that I needed more experience while the position was given to someone's friend. Nepotism is a major flaw in much of the hiring and decision-making there. Awards were given to the buddies of the people who managed the award system. They even did so much as to show the metrics of those who won awards, revealing that these people were indeed not the top performers in neither speed or quality.

In the end, I made a consistent pay check with good benefits. My co-workers were awesome, so it was a good job to settle into to pay my bills. That's about the best I can say about it. I'm now older with nothing to show for it but a healthy bank account. I'd still be working there if not for the down-sizing, much to my stubborn misery. – less
Very fun place to work!
Account and Technical Services Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 17, 2013
Pros: work perks
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Blizzard Entertainment, and hope to work there again in the future if the opportunity arises.
A company that cares
Game Master, Billing, and Technical Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 27, 2013
I feel Blizzard Entertainment's customer service branch in Austin, Texas was overall a good experience as a Game Master for about 3 years. The atmosphere and environment was comfortable and nerd friendly.

June 1, 2013

I wouldn't go as far as saying "A company that cares" but they did provide nice perks. They have no sense of work/life balance for their employees.

Great place to work if you have =ZERO= responsibilities in life
Game Master (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 14, 2013
Pros: laid back, casual culture (you can come to work in sweats and sandals). free games at launch.
Cons: awful hours, no holidays, penalized for using sick time, *no* work/life balance - terrible if you're trying to raise a family
As a game company I adore Blizzard, but having been an employee there for 3 years before leaving, I must say it was not a good company to work for in a Customer Support capacity.

I'm a dad, and I can tell you that working at Blizzard is just not something you can successfully do as a parent. Work/Life Balance at Blizzard is terrible.

Want a weekend – more... day off? You are punished with the worst hours imaginable.

Want a good schedule (i.e. day shift)? You are punished with the worst days off possible.

I saw a good friend get let go in March of this year, along with a few others, because he had to take quite a few sick days to take care of his child. Curiously, other people who got let go were parents too. Hmm...coincidence? If the attendance policy wasn't so ridiculous, where you are DISCOURAGED from using sick time, even if you are deathly ill, people would be able to retain their jobs here. It's absurd watching great people get let go because they get sick, or need to take days off because they need to care for their children.

I left voluntarily in April for a much better job...same type of work, better hours, and 50% more pay. Let's break down a typical day at Blizz.

A typical day at work - Days start off with 15 minute "huddles" which allow you to catch up on any news or immediately relevant info, and allow you to gradually settle in before the tickets start coming in. Then the works starts...the tickets come rolling n, 70% whining crybabies, 20% nice folks, 10% trolls. On an average day you're expected to be able to resolve 90 tickets, though the average person gets about 60 - 75. Two breaks (15 min each) and an hour lunch, staggered for most teams (especially "hybrid" teams which are combination game master and phone support teams).

What I learned - That with hard work and dedication, you're only as valuable as the numbers you produce and how much can adhere to the attendance policy, which has some absurd quirks.

Management - depends on who you get. Some are clueless, some are great. Good managers will work with you to get you recognized by the higher ups, or try to get you promoted. Others will say "Hey, that's great, let's work on moving you toward that direction in the company" and you'll never see any of that come to fruition.

Co-Workers - various. We're all nerds. But you get the obnoxious nerds who like to hear themselves talk, the angry nerds who are confrontational and not friendly, and the jaded nerds who will only say "Check Wowhead" if you propose a question to your team. The balance is more in favor of the obnoxious and jaded rather than decent folks.

Hardest part of the job - keeping up with the myriad changes that take place from month to month. Want to get promoted? Sorry pal, you did great last quarter, and your numbers definitely would put you in line for promotion...that is, if we were still using last quarter's numbers, and we're not. Changed again. Good luck next time. There are 4 tiers of CS, then Senior, and I know people who have been Tier 1 for 5+ years simply because they change the requirements of promotion so much.

Most enjoyable part of the job - Blizz caters food, has company outings, throws a big holiday party, and you can play games at work while on break or lunch. – less
Fun environment, passionate and dedicated employees
Support Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 8, 2013
Pros: excellent swag, casual environment
Cons: can be difficult to find footing for advancement beyond a cs rep
As call centers go, this place has a lock down on approach and philosophy. Very reactive and transparent management dedicated to providing solid tools and resources to allow employees to do good work. They respect the individual, little is scripted or predictable. Constantly evolving metrics based on data compilation and company needs.
Fun place to work, great call center environment
Account and Technical Service Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TexasApril 13, 2013
An excellent place to work with great compensation packages. Continued education plans that are very flexible and some of the best medical benefits I've ever experienced.
A Haven for Geeks
Account and Technical Services Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 11, 2013
Pros: amazing benefits; numerous available schedules/shifts.
Cons: criteria for regular assessment and/or advancement were highly flawed.
Blizzard Entertainment proved to be a very interesting work environment where geeks (like me) really ran the show. The biggest part of my job was to connect with people who played our games and provide them with support in managing their accounts and subscriptions. I also helped with troubleshooting any unusual technical issues that arose during gameplay.

Overall, – more... my experience at Blizzard was very positive. I probably would have continued working there, but I left in Q4 2012 to concentrate on completing graduate school. – less
Fun place to work
Game Master (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: the job is fun.
Cons: pretty tough and unforgiving attendance policy
Handled fun online game issues. Great management staff and fun coworkers
A fun working environment with other online game masters!
Administrative Assistant AKA Game master (Former Employee), Grayson, LAFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: you get to have some awesome gm commands.
Cons: support tickets got a bit out of hand and flooded me.
When I worked for Blizzard I had a blast! You got to have these GM commands that you could do to instantly level you to eighty five and you got to raid with other GM's such as really good friends of mine.
That was the type of job that I learned something new everyday, it wasn't all ways about work it was some other useful information.
The hardest part – more... for me to figure out would have to be getting players items back because you had to investigate the situation if it was a bit suspicious. That is pretty much it! Just all around fun! – less

February 17, 2013

this is unfair and they use this power to cheat people who are paying for the game. They mess with paying customer's account and they are not helpful at all. Alot of good people stopped playing. This company and people behind the product leaves much to be desired. In real life they must be dishonest people .. and you think this is good?

March 5, 2013

This was definitely NOT written by a Blizzard employee. Everything this person said is not true. Game Masters (In-game customer service reps) do not have the ability to instantly level their characters to play the game - Game Master Accounts and play accounts are completely separate entities, and there are strict guidelines in place to make sure support reps do NOT abuse their power in the method that this individual suggests. This clearly has led to misinformed individuals, as the commentor prior to me indicates.

April 12, 2013

I just wanted to backup what the comment above mine mentioned, being part of "IGS" or In-Game Support aka Game Master is anything but raids and playing around on your character. You're provided with a very specific set abilities that are utilized in very specific situations to assist players, that's it. In fact during my time (3+ years) in this position I have seen on several occasions what happens when people forget that this is a job for adults and not a game. Regardless while IGS has or had many faults overall Blizzard itself is still an outstanding company.

Really relaxed place to work. Can even play Warcraft to further product knowledge on job.
Customer Service Tier (Former Employee), Austin, TxJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: get free mists of pandaria to check out. cool
Cons: have to share desks. kinda depends on who is your partner.
Take some emails from the queue. Do some in-game chats. Do some dungeons with fellow coworkers. Pretty relaxed place to work.
Extremely fun place to work. Great environment for geek culture.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Cedar Park, TXJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: lots of swag. free game time and accounts. bonus twice a year.
Cons: constant change in metrics requirments.
Typical day at work is clock in have start of shift meeting. Work 4 hours taking tickets. Have an hour long lunch. Then another 4 hours of tickets. End of shift meeting and then home.

The environment is very open and friendly. Lots of talking about favorite geek things like movies and video games and just anything about geek culture.

Management is – more... always available to talk to and help guide your career path.

Co-workers are fun and enjoyable to talk to. We all have similar interests.

Hardest part of the job would be having to deal with upset customers. While not a common issue, the really upset customers tend to be a handful.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that you work for the world's greatest online game. You and your customers have the same passion. – less

April 28, 2013

I am quite interested in this job, is there any insight you can give? I've checked current jobs on the blizzard career site for Customer Representative positions but there are none at the current time, does this mean they aren't hiring for this position or is there a way to apply for it even though it is not needed? It seems like a too good of a job for a geek from what I've read but I'd like to know more to get there. Any information is appreciated.

June 1, 2013

@Trieu Basically it goes like this: 1)You need to be either in Austin, TX or Irvine, CA. This is not a work-from-home position as many people beleive. 2) Blizzard rarely hires Game Masters directly. Since the infamous "Blizzard 600" incident of 2012, Blizzard only utilizes temp agencies to fulfill their Game Master spots. Sometimes, you will get permanently hired after your contract is up. 3) You should have plenty of customer service experience (at least 3 years) and be very familiar with the games (WoW, D3, SC2). 4) Be ready to sacrifice work/life balance. Hours are typically terrible - shifts that have a weekend day off will often have the worst possible working hours. Shifts that have daytime hours will have the worst days off. In 4 years working there, I had friends at work that I never, ever saw outside of work since we never had schedules that would allow it. 5) Pay is awful. Competitively, it does not hold up to rival organizations Bioware/Electronic Arts and NCSoft, both of which are located in Austin in the same general area, offering the same jobs at typically $3 - $5 higher than Blizzard pays. There's a misconception amongst players that Game Masters make $50k - $100k/yr. On average, game masters make $22K - $25K/yr ($10/hr). This is offset by benefits (free games). It's not as glorious as it seems to be. Great geek culture but bad work/life balance and bad pay (others appear to have mentioned this as well).

Great workplace with a fun environment
Account and Technical Services Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXOctober 17, 2012
Pros: cool game room
A day at Blizzard is responding to customer's petitions online and via telephone. The team you work in is really great, and mostly everyone is willing to give you an answer.
Fun and a great experience
Tier 2 In Game Support Representative (Former Employee), Irvine, CASeptember 21, 2012
Top notch gaming company. I never felt like going to work was "work" and it was always fun walking into the office and doing something I loved, which is playing games and helping players enjoy it if they needed help from our Support staff.

Great benefits and culture.

February 17, 2013

this company is based on deception, dishonesty, and most of the things done are done unfairly to paying customers and then they lie about it. Alot of people have left So i feel sorry for people who look at money and the job and forget about the overall structure of the company.

Fun environment
Customer Service (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: lots of free swag
Cons: pay is not as great as it could be
Since it is a video game company, Blizzard does its best to keep things fun. Most/all of the employees are avid nerds, fanboys, or gamers. The customer base can be a little unpleasant at times, but there are more friendly conversations than not.
Blizzard Quality Call Center
Tier 3 Customer Support Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 24, 2012
An excellent place to work for that has a friendly gaming oriented culture.
Previously awesome company that turned total corporate
T3 Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 25, 2012
Pros: it's a gaming company.
Cons: poor salary, extremely slow advancement, low raises, corporate attitude from upper management.
Blizzard Entertainment used to be the best place to work until they went totally corporate. After that, no more swag, less benefits, increased cost of insurance, and nearly no more chance for job advancement or an extremely long wait between advancement (expect about 2 years to move up one tier) for extremely poor pay increase (about 3%). However, the – more... co-workers and lower management are still awesome. Nerdy gamers that just want a cool place to work. – less
Good for those who don't have any goals in life.. Anyone else is very much out of place.
InGame Services support (Current Employee), CorkJune 22, 2012
Pros: casual dresscode
Cons: see the main text, there are lots of them.
- If you are younger than 30, have no family to care for and basically very little life outside of work, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t plan on getting ahead, having an actual career which will allow you to advance, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind having your work conditions (employment contract details) changed – more... without notice by management, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind confusion, contradicting decisions, having your lunch hours shoved ahead or behind at will, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind that “every voice matters” means you should have an opinion, but should only voice it if you agree with everything, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind being verbally incapacitated to the point where any criticism or questioning of orders means you’ll fall in disgrace, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind having to work your behind off with very little chance to get ahead, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind that any advancement positions are handed out on the basis of is “politically correct” not on the basis of previous experience and merrit, then this is the company for you.
- If you can talk for days on end why this or that Pokemon is better than the other, but see blank faces when it comes to any conversations which do not cover gaming, then this is the company for you.

If you have a problem with any of the points above, then stay miles away from the company. – less

February 17, 2013

if you a child who has never grown up and lack moral and values. ... and think cheating, lieing, and other dishonest practices to make a buck is right then this is a place for you.. aszzwipe.

Producer (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJune 13, 2012
Blizzard is a great place to work, they take care of people. The Overtime can be a bit steep, but everyone is committed to quality.
The Machine
Quality Assurance Analyst II (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJune 12, 2012
Pros: used to be that you work for blizzard entertainment! inexpensive activision blizzard games.
Cons: quality of work, life, and enjoyment is extremely low. it's more machine than identity now.
I started at Blizzard back when it was just us and Vivendi and right before the release of World of Warcraft. Times were great back then. Work was enjoyable and I felt like I knew everyone in my immediate surroundings. Overtime was rare in those days and though profit sharing was enjoyable, it was never really fair for all. All in all life was very – more... good and I loved the company.

Fast forward to the Blizzard of today and I will paint you a picture of a completely different identity. Just around the time of the Activision merger Blizzard Entertainment had become more machine and less of whatever it used to be. Overtime became mandatory and easily extends to over three fourths of the year. The standard work week now consists of around sixty hours and no more, because they do not want people going on double time. If I remember correctly there was a California state law concerning double time. I was not allowed to be a family man. My life consisted of going to work coming home sleeping and repeating the process again. This continued from Monday through Saturday or Sunday through Friday depending on which one we were assigned or got to choose from.

Advancement is available if you know the right people. You really have to luck out by getting a good manager. One of the horrible things about working for Blizzard today is that doing a fantastic job doesn't mean much. Management is hit or miss on the quality of the manager. There are some great managers there, but also some really poor ones.

I'm really sad for the path the company chose to take. The quality of life at Blizzard today is extremely low and the pay just doesn't compete with the costs of living in and around Irvine, CA. – less