Blizzard Entertainment

Blizzard Entertainment Employee Reviews

Fun for a while, but nowhere to grow
In-Game Service Representative, Tier III (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: video game industry, some nice perks still, geek culture
Cons: low pay, draining customers, poor managers, lack of opportunity, dying culture
If you love video games and Blizzard, you'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed when you start. That's the honeymoon phase and can last up to three years depending on circumstances (teammates, mangers, etc.).

Slowly; though, you'll realize you're on a dead end road. There are very few growth opportunities.People get into positions and never leave. The same people slowly become out of date themselves. The customers can be soul draining, issues become repetitive, and you have to say no more than yes.

The way you're reviewed is frustrating. The company has slowly become more and more corporate. Perks have been getting worse and worse over the years. Pay has not moved really at all. The world around you will get more expensive, but you will not see much of an increase in pay. At the most .50 cents a year (if that). Cost of living is never reviewed, and it seems the company would rather see vets leave to be replaced by cheaper newbies.

It's a sad state of affairs, but this isn't a place you really want to work if you're looking for an adult job.

Summary: The hours aren't great, the work isn't challenging, the measurement systems are weak, the customers (not all but many) can be draining, and managers aren't really there for you. The pay is too low, and opportunities are too few.
Great company to work for
Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Santa Monica, CADecember 23, 2013
Love it ...
great culture ...
great people ...
good management
Fun workplace with a ping pong table
Game Advisor (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 14, 2013
Working at Blizzard had its ups and downs. It was a fun workplace, however the available work hours were unpleasant.
Game Master (Former Employee), ElginNovember 12, 2013
none my situation is diffrent from others but i will not review a company when i did not get the full work through my self
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Irvine, CANovember 10, 2013
Great work place.

Nice coworkers.

fun environment to work.
Good Culture and decent benefits
Tier 3 Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 4, 2013
Pros: awesome coworkers, decent medical benefits, company swag
Cons: little advancement, mediocre pay, constant policy changes
Typical day in a customer service rep's job at Blizzard is fielding phone calls, webchats, and in-game tickets. You'll be trained for all three but since customers can contact about a large variety of topics, you'll need to rely on coworkers and internet tools to find the answers. Job performance is gauged on productivity, quality, and first contact resolution and you'll need to meet metrics in all three to maintain your job.

Coworkers are generally pretty awesome. The workforce is largely very young though and for many this is a first time job so older employees may find the atmosphere immature. Company culture in the building is very relaxed, with no real dress code and employees will be expected to have a thick skin because you'll be talking to customers who range in age of 10-80 years and you'll get a variety of personality types to deal with.

Some room for advancement although not much and internal hiring into other departments is rigorous and extremely competitive so a customer service position is not a great way to transition to another department.

Medical/Dental/Vision benefits available and have good coverage although there is a small fee to be paid for coverage. Pay is ok, not the best but not the worst. Pay for highest tier rep caps out at $17/hr. Management pretty laid back although that'll vary depending on the person. You will be forced to change shifts once every year so you cannot be guaranteed to have a shift you want for more than a year. Hours for the building are 6AM to 2AM/7 days a week so be prepared for shift work. Shifts based on stack ranking so the – more... better you perform, the better your shift.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers and the amount of talking you need to do if you're on phones for the day. Can be extremely stressful with very little appreciation from customers.

Best part of the job are the people you meet at work and some of the customers who can be awesome. Relaxed culture means a fair amount of fun which is good. Also, company gives out a good amount of free swag related to their games which is nice. – less
Great Environment
Game Master (Former Employee), Austin, TXOctober 30, 2013
An awesome company to work for, a lot of fun everyday. Very little downtime while working, but the work was fun.
Great for gamers and night owls, game room included!
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee), Austin, TXOctober 2, 2013
Pros: great environment, open to feedback
Cons: n/a
Meeting before and after shift
Discuss concerns with customers all day
Monthly Team Meeting
Separate monthly meeting with Senior and Team Manager
Ever changing policies that must be kept up with daily
Open interaction with co-workers, so long as you can work for your pay
Dream Job
QA Supervisor (Former Employee), Irvine, CASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: solid core values, great people and facilities
Cons: company still relatively new, going through some growing pains
Worked my way up into lower management. Amazing place to work with amazing people. I recommend anyone that is qualified to go to work for Blizzard. I left unfortunately due to distance from a new house I purchased and the commute was costly.
Gamer work environment
Experienced Team Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TexasAugust 30, 2013
Suffice it to say that I quit Blizzard and we did not end of a good note.
Fun workplace, but little advancement.
Project Lead, Quality Assurance (Former Employee), Irvine, CAAugust 1, 2013
Little advancement opportunities. Feels like company is mismanaged at times. Very much an 'old boys club' feel.
A fun start but not much else
Game Master, Tier 2 (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJuly 30, 2013
Pros: good benefits, dorky, fun co-workers
Cons: terrible management, little to no possibility for advancement
Working for Blizzard was mostly fun and relaxed. At least, that's the atmosphere they wanted me to feel. What it boils down to, though, is that it has terrible management that will shift all the responsibility down on its underlings, with no accountability and no ability to make good decisions. Many people can say they hate their boss, but this also means that there was no opportunity for advancement. I applied many times to the bottom-most positions of other departments only to be told that I needed more experience while the position was given to someone's friend. Nepotism is a major flaw in much of the hiring and decision-making there. Awards were given to the buddies of the people who managed the award system. They even did so much as to show the metrics of those who won awards, revealing that these people were indeed not the top performers in neither speed or quality.

In the end, I made a consistent pay check with good benefits. My co-workers were awesome, so it was a good job to settle into to pay my bills. That's about the best I can say about it. I'm now older with nothing to show for it but a healthy bank account. I'd still be working there if not for the down-sizing, much to my stubborn misery.
Very fun place to work!
Account and Technical Services Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 17, 2013
Pros: work perks
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Blizzard Entertainment, and hope to work there again in the future if the opportunity arises.
A company that cares
Game Master, Billing, and Technical Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 27, 2013
I feel Blizzard Entertainment's customer service branch in Austin, Texas was overall a good experience as a Game Master for about 3 years. The atmosphere and environment was comfortable and nerd friendly.

June 1, 2013

I wouldn't go as far as saying "A company that cares" but they did provide nice perks. They have no sense of work/life balance for their employees.

Great place to work if you have =ZERO= responsibilities in life
Game Master (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 14, 2013
Pros: laid back, casual culture (you can come to work in sweats and sandals). free games at launch.
Cons: awful hours, no holidays, penalized for using sick time, *no* work/life balance - terrible if you're trying to raise a family
As a game company I adore Blizzard, but having been an employee there for 3 years before leaving, I must say it was not a good company to work for in a Customer Support capacity.

I'm a dad, and I can tell you that working at Blizzard is just not something you can successfully do as a parent. Work/Life Balance at Blizzard is terrible.

Want a weekend day off? You are punished with the worst hours imaginable.

Want a good schedule (i.e. day shift)? You are punished with the worst days off possible.

I saw a good friend get let go in March of this year, along with a few others, because he had to take quite a few sick days to take care of his child. Curiously, other people who got let go were parents too. Hmm...coincidence? If the attendance policy wasn't so ridiculous, where you are DISCOURAGED from using sick time, even if you are deathly ill, people would be able to retain their jobs here. It's absurd watching great people get let go because they get sick, or need to take days off because they need to care for their children.

I left voluntarily in April for a much better job...same type of work, better hours, and 50% more pay. Let's break down a typical day at Blizz.

A typical day at work - Days start off with 15 minute "huddles" which allow you to catch up on any news or immediately relevant info, and allow you to gradually settle in before the tickets start coming in. Then the works starts...the tickets come rolling n, 70% whining crybabies, 20% nice folks, 10% trolls. On an average day you're expected to be able to resolve 90 tickets, though the average person gets about – more... 60 - 75. Two breaks (15 min each) and an hour lunch, staggered for most teams (especially "hybrid" teams which are combination game master and phone support teams).

What I learned - That with hard work and dedication, you're only as valuable as the numbers you produce and how much can adhere to the attendance policy, which has some absurd quirks.

Management - depends on who you get. Some are clueless, some are great. Good managers will work with you to get you recognized by the higher ups, or try to get you promoted. Others will say "Hey, that's great, let's work on moving you toward that direction in the company" and you'll never see any of that come to fruition.

Co-Workers - various. We're all nerds. But you get the obnoxious nerds who like to hear themselves talk, the angry nerds who are confrontational and not friendly, and the jaded nerds who will only say "Check Wowhead" if you propose a question to your team. The balance is more in favor of the obnoxious and jaded rather than decent folks.

Hardest part of the job - keeping up with the myriad changes that take place from month to month. Want to get promoted? Sorry pal, you did great last quarter, and your numbers definitely would put you in line for promotion...that is, if we were still using last quarter's numbers, and we're not. Changed again. Good luck next time. There are 4 tiers of CS, then Senior, and I know people who have been Tier 1 for 5+ years simply because they change the requirements of promotion so much.

Most enjoyable part of the job - Blizz caters food, has company outings, throws a big holiday party, and you can play games at work while on break or lunch. – less
Fun environment, passionate and dedicated employees
Support Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 8, 2013
Pros: excellent swag, casual environment
Cons: can be difficult to find footing for advancement beyond a cs rep
As call centers go, this place has a lock down on approach and philosophy. Very reactive and transparent management dedicated to providing solid tools and resources to allow employees to do good work. They respect the individual, little is scripted or predictable. Constantly evolving metrics based on data compilation and company needs.
Fun place to work, great call center environment
Account and Technical Service Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TexasApril 13, 2013
An excellent place to work with great compensation packages. Continued education plans that are very flexible and some of the best medical benefits I've ever experienced.
A Haven for Geeks
Account and Technical Services Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 11, 2013
Pros: amazing benefits; numerous available schedules/shifts.
Cons: criteria for regular assessment and/or advancement were highly flawed.
Blizzard Entertainment proved to be a very interesting work environment where geeks (like me) really ran the show. The biggest part of my job was to connect with people who played our games and provide them with support in managing their accounts and subscriptions. I also helped with troubleshooting any unusual technical issues that arose during gameplay.

Overall, my experience at Blizzard was very positive. I probably would have continued working there, but I left in Q4 2012 to concentrate on completing graduate school.
Fun place to work
Game Master (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: the job is fun.
Cons: pretty tough and unforgiving attendance policy
Handled fun online game issues. Great management staff and fun coworkers
A fun working environment with other online game masters!
Administrative Assistant AKA Game master (Former Employee), Grayson, LAFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: you get to have some awesome gm commands.
Cons: support tickets got a bit out of hand and flooded me.
When I worked for Blizzard I had a blast! You got to have these GM commands that you could do to instantly level you to eighty five and you got to raid with other GM's such as really good friends of mine.
That was the type of job that I learned something new everyday, it wasn't all ways about work it was some other useful information.
The hardest part for me to figure out would have to be getting players items back because you had to investigate the situation if it was a bit suspicious. That is pretty much it! Just all around fun!

February 17, 2013

this is unfair and they use this power to cheat people who are paying for the game. They mess with paying customer's account and they are not helpful at all. Alot of good people stopped playing. This company and people behind the product leaves much to be desired. In real life they must be dishonest people .. and you think this is good?

March 5, 2013

This was definitely NOT written by a Blizzard employee. Everything this person said is not true. Game Masters (In-game customer service reps) do not have the ability to instantly level their characters to play the game - Game Master Accounts and play accounts are completely separate entities, and there are strict guidelines in place to make sure support reps do NOT abuse their power in the method that this individual suggests. This clearly has led to misinformed individuals, as the commentor prior to me indicates.

April 12, 2013

I just wanted to backup what the comment above mine mentioned, being part of "IGS" or In-Game Support aka Game Master is anything but raids and playing around on your character. You're provided with a very specific set abilities that are utilized in very specific situations to assist players, that's it. In fact during my time (3+ years) in this position I have seen on several occasions what happens when people forget that this is a job for adults and not a game. Regardless while IGS has or had many faults overall Blizzard itself is still an outstanding company.

Blizzard Entertainment Salaries