Blizzard Entertainment

Blizzard Entertainment Employer Reviews

A fun working environment with other online game masters!
Administrative Assistant AKA Game master (Former Employee), Grayson, LAFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: you get to have some awesome gm commands.
Cons: support tickets got a bit out of hand and flooded me.
When I worked for Blizzard I had a blast! You got to have these GM commands that you could do to instantly level you to eighty five and you got to raid with other GM's such as really good friends of mine.
That was the type of job that I learned something new everyday, it wasn't all ways about work it was some other useful information.
The hardest part – more... for me to figure out would have to be getting players items back because you had to investigate the situation if it was a bit suspicious. That is pretty much it! Just all around fun! – less

james123456789 – February 17, 2013

this is unfair and they use this power to cheat people who are paying for the game. They mess with paying customer's account and they are not helpful at all. Alot of good people stopped playing. This company and people behind the product leaves much to be desired. In real life they must be dishonest people .. and you think this is good?

Mi1311 – March 5, 2013

This was definitely NOT written by a Blizzard employee. Everything this person said is not true. Game Masters (In-game customer service reps) do not have the ability to instantly level their characters to play the game - Game Master Accounts and play accounts are completely separate entities, and there are strict guidelines in place to make sure support reps do NOT abuse their power in the method that this individual suggests. This clearly has led to misinformed individuals, as the commentor prior to me indicates.

Rizz – April 12, 2013

I just wanted to backup what the comment above mine mentioned, being part of "IGS" or In-Game Support aka Game Master is anything but raids and playing around on your character. You're provided with a very specific set abilities that are utilized in very specific situations to assist players, that's it. In fact during my time (3+ years) in this position I have seen on several occasions what happens when people forget that this is a job for adults and not a game. Regardless while IGS has or had many faults overall Blizzard itself is still an outstanding company.

Extremely fun place to work. Great environment for geek culture.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Cedar Park, TXJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: lots of swag. free game time and accounts. bonus twice a year.
Cons: constant change in metrics requirments.
Typical day at work is clock in have start of shift meeting. Work 4 hours taking tickets. Have an hour long lunch. Then another 4 hours of tickets. End of shift meeting and then home.

The environment is very open and friendly. Lots of talking about favorite geek things like movies and video games and just anything about geek culture.

Management is – more... always available to talk to and help guide your career path.

Co-workers are fun and enjoyable to talk to. We all have similar interests.

Hardest part of the job would be having to deal with upset customers. While not a common issue, the really upset customers tend to be a handful.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that you work for the world's greatest online game. You and your customers have the same passion. – less

trieu – April 28, 2013

I am quite interested in this job, is there any insight you can give? I've checked current jobs on the blizzard career site for Customer Representative positions but there are none at the current time, does this mean they aren't hiring for this position or is there a way to apply for it even though it is not needed? It seems like a too good of a job for a geek from what I've read but I'd like to know more to get there. Any information is appreciated.

– June 1, 2013

@Trieu Basically it goes like this: 1)You need to be either in Austin, TX or Irvine, CA. This is not a work-from-home position as many people beleive. 2) Blizzard rarely hires Game Masters directly. Since the infamous "Blizzard 600" incident of 2012, Blizzard only utilizes temp agencies to fulfill their Game Master spots. Sometimes, you will get permanently hired after your contract is up. 3) You should have plenty of customer service experience (at least 3 years) and be very familiar with the games (WoW, D3, SC2). 4) Be ready to sacrifice work/life balance. Hours are typically terrible - shifts that have a weekend day off will often have the worst possible working hours. Shifts that have daytime hours will have the worst days off. In 4 years working there, I had friends at work that I never, ever saw outside of work since we never had schedules that would allow it. 5) Pay is awful. Competitively, it does not hold up to rival organizations Bioware/Electronic Arts and NCSoft, both of which are located in Austin in the same general area, offering the same jobs at typically $3 - $5 higher than Blizzard pays. There's a misconception amongst players that Game Masters make $50k - $100k/yr. On average, game masters make $22K - $25K/yr ($10/hr). This is offset by benefits (free games). It's not as glorious as it seems to be. Great geek culture but bad work/life balance and bad pay (others appear to have mentioned this as well).

Great workplace with a fun environment
Account and Technical Services Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXOctober 17, 2012
Pros: cool game room
A day at Blizzard is responding to customer's petitions online and via telephone. The team you work in is really great, and mostly everyone is willing to give you an answer.
Fun and a great experience
Tier 2 In Game Support Representative (Former Employee), Irvine, CASeptember 21, 2012
Top notch gaming company. I never felt like going to work was "work" and it was always fun walking into the office and doing something I loved, which is playing games and helping players enjoy it if they needed help from our Support staff.

Great benefits and culture.

james123456789 – February 17, 2013

this company is based on deception, dishonesty, and most of the things done are done unfairly to paying customers and then they lie about it. Alot of people have left So i feel sorry for people who look at money and the job and forget about the overall structure of the company.

Fun environment
Customer Service (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: lots of free swag
Cons: pay is not as great as it could be
Since it is a video game company, Blizzard does its best to keep things fun. Most/all of the employees are avid nerds, fanboys, or gamers. The customer base can be a little unpleasant at times, but there are more friendly conversations than not.
Blizzard Quality Call Center
Tier 3 Customer Support Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 24, 2012
An excellent place to work for that has a friendly gaming oriented culture.
Previously awesome company that turned total corporate
T3 Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 25, 2012
Pros: it's a gaming company.
Cons: poor salary, extremely slow advancement, low raises, corporate attitude from upper management.
Blizzard Entertainment used to be the best place to work until they went totally corporate. After that, no more swag, less benefits, increased cost of insurance, and nearly no more chance for job advancement or an extremely long wait between advancement (expect about 2 years to move up one tier) for extremely poor pay increase (about 3%). However, the – more... co-workers and lower management are still awesome. Nerdy gamers that just want a cool place to work. – less
Good for those who don't have any goals in life.. Anyone else is very much out of place.
InGame Services support (Current Employee), CorkJune 22, 2012
Pros: casual dresscode
Cons: see the main text, there are lots of them.
- If you are younger than 30, have no family to care for and basically very little life outside of work, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t plan on getting ahead, having an actual career which will allow you to advance, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind having your work conditions (employment contract details) changed – more... without notice by management, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind confusion, contradicting decisions, having your lunch hours shoved ahead or behind at will, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind that “every voice matters” means you should have an opinion, but should only voice it if you agree with everything, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind being verbally incapacitated to the point where any criticism or questioning of orders means you’ll fall in disgrace, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind having to work your behind off with very little chance to get ahead, then this is the company for you.
- If you don’t mind that any advancement positions are handed out on the basis of is “politically correct” not on the basis of previous experience and merrit, then this is the company for you.
- If you can talk for days on end why this or that Pokemon is better than the other, but see blank faces when it comes to any conversations which do not cover gaming, then this is the company for you.

If you have a problem with any of the points above, then stay miles away from the company. – less

james123456789 – February 17, 2013

if you a child who has never grown up and lack moral and values. ... and think cheating, lieing, and other dishonest practices to make a buck is right then this is a place for you.. aszzwipe.

Producer (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJune 13, 2012
Blizzard is a great place to work, they take care of people. The Overtime can be a bit steep, but everyone is committed to quality.
The Machine
Quality Assurance Analyst II (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJune 12, 2012
Pros: used to be that you work for blizzard entertainment! inexpensive activision blizzard games.
Cons: quality of work, life, and enjoyment is extremely low. it's more machine than identity now.
I started at Blizzard back when it was just us and Vivendi and right before the release of World of Warcraft. Times were great back then. Work was enjoyable and I felt like I knew everyone in my immediate surroundings. Overtime was rare in those days and though profit sharing was enjoyable, it was never really fair for all. All in all life was very – more... good and I loved the company.

Fast forward to the Blizzard of today and I will paint you a picture of a completely different identity. Just around the time of the Activision merger Blizzard Entertainment had become more machine and less of whatever it used to be. Overtime became mandatory and easily extends to over three fourths of the year. The standard work week now consists of around sixty hours and no more, because they do not want people going on double time. If I remember correctly there was a California state law concerning double time. I was not allowed to be a family man. My life consisted of going to work coming home sleeping and repeating the process again. This continued from Monday through Saturday or Sunday through Friday depending on which one we were assigned or got to choose from.

Advancement is available if you know the right people. You really have to luck out by getting a good manager. One of the horrible things about working for Blizzard today is that doing a fantastic job doesn't mean much. Management is hit or miss on the quality of the manager. There are some great managers there, but also some really poor ones.

I'm really sad for the path the company chose to take. The quality of life at Blizzard today is extremely low and the pay just doesn't compete with the costs of living in and around Irvine, CA. – less
Dang good hiring package, but no consistency over time, resulting in confused managerial decisions and extremely low morale.
Account and Technical Services Senior (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 5, 2012
Pros: gaming culture
Cons: cs management not gaming culture
For some, a dream job. For others, the thing that turned them off to the gaming industry.
I learned a great deal about people here, and enjoyed every minute of it. However, am happy to move on. The ceiling here is pretty low, so every step up the ladder takes a very long time.
Fun and solid place to work.
In-Game Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 6, 2012
The typical day was very routine. Very few wrenches in the cogs. The management was very good. They really worked with you in whatever you required assistance with.

The hardest part was the occasional irate customer, but that can hinder anyone.

The atmosphere was the most enjoyable part. Being around like-minded people with similar hobbies was great.
They have a game room
Technical desk Customer Repersentive (Former Employee), 16215 Alton Pkwy Irvine CA 92618April 27, 2012
Pros: good enviroment
Fun place to work for if your in to Massive on line Web Server to client applications
Geek Support
Account and Technical Support Representative (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 23, 2012
Pros: full benefits, bonuses, occasional employee appreciation days
Cons: immaturity of coworkers and management, player base.
My typical day at my job consists of assisting players with their accounts. This can be anything from payment issues to claiming the newest promotion. Occasionally I will also get a tech call from a player having problems with the game.

I have learned how to control calls and provide support to even the most irate players. I calm many a player down – more... in the course of a day.

The management is all under 35 years old. The feeling of the company is very new and sometimes even make it up as it goes along.

My coworkers are all gamers and as such there are some very awkward people that do not have people skills. This comes with the nature of the job. I work with the same people that I assist on the phones.

The hardest part of the job is taking calls from a player that is upset at the beginning of a call and is looking for a fight. Having to calm the player down, then try to assit them in the best way possible.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I am around people my own age that all embrace their inner geek. As such, there is quite a bit of joking and pop culture references. This can be a double edged sword at times, though. – less
Was a productive and fun place to work.
Billing / Technical Support (Former Employee), Austin TexasApril 19, 2012
New Management changing culture of blizzard to a call center.
Low pay
Interesting workplace where employees can dress casually.
Tier 2 Specialist (Current) (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 17, 2012
Blizzard Entertainment is a company that believes in strong work values and instills this into the development processes of their games. The most enjoyable part of the job is dressing casually and having a game room to enjoy on breaks and lunches.
Great place to work with lots of cool people
Quality Assurance Analyst I (Former Employee), Irvine, CAMarch 29, 2012
Pros: benefits are fantastic, cafe on campus, the people are cool
Cons: the management and advancement in the company, is extremely difficult
I got laid off the the most ridiculous reason ever when i was playing a key role in the release of a game.
Great place to avoid layoffs
Customer Support (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 12, 2012
Pros: excellent benefits, gym, fun work environment
Cons: impossible or difficult to progress, layoffs, mgmt issues
Gaming industry seems to be getting hit at all levels of commerce. Being one of the biggest profit generating game designer out there makes one think they are safe. They are not.
Enjoyable work environment (if you REALLY love gaming), but terrible life balance
In-Game Service Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TexasMay 14, 2011
If you're an avid gamer, meaning that the world of video games is your life, then this could be the company for you. However, if you're looking for enough money to actually advance your personal life goals, then look elsewhere.

Additionally, management slots are extremely rare and based more on politicking, rather than merit.

If you're young, not – more... really thinking about the future, and can talk for hours about the pros and cons of MegaMan 2, then this job (for a little while) is ideal. – less
My time at Blizzard
Gamemaster (Former Employee), CorkNovember 4, 2012
Pros: discounts on merchandise of the company, canteen, free parking and free bus home when working late.
Cons: well thats easy work hard :)
A typical day at work?
Would be dealing with customers "player" via a very popular online game.

What you learned? Identify the players issue and resolve it right there and then.

management: Very helpful in identifying the way business was done via agent and customer and if there was anything else that could been done to help the customer's experience.

your – more... co-workers? Helpful in a way that made the team shine through certain issues relating to the work ethics of the organization.

the hardest part of the job?
My experience was the knowledge of the product that was quite large in volume to give my 100% to the job.

the most enjoyable part of the job?
Everything – less