Block By Block Employee Reviews

Patrol west hollywood on a bicycle
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAApril 16, 2017
First, you have briefing with the supervisors then you get an assigned patrol route. The patrol route you get is for the first four hours of your shift them you have lunch after lunch you get an other route where you finish your shift.
Need imporvments in benefits
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAApril 12, 2017
The best part it's hands-on positive community and economic development in an urban setting The worst is $6600 deductible healthcare package=disrespect
Pros
hard work and fun
Cons
healthcare and pay scale
ok
Hospitality Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 11, 2017
● Provided excellent hospitality to residents and tourists in the area with information on upcoming events, community activities, restaurants, and directions.
● Maintained zones our company was responsible for by cleaning up issues such as litter, graffiti, weeds and overflowing trash cans.
● Maintained a clean and safe environment.
● Resolved any concerns and complaints in an efficient and effective manner.
Productive job
Maintenance Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDApril 9, 2017
My experience is better from what I am seeing on the reviews. I am currently employed with block by block and think its an awesome job. I am employed with North Dakotas block by block so its a little smaller and more friendly. And able to keep up with the work at times.
Pros
Half hr lunch. 2 paid 15 min breaks. Being outdoors
Cons
Same work everyday.
Making contact with transients
Security Ambassador (Former Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAMarch 23, 2017
For the most part I enjoyed my time at block by Block, besides the fact that the supervisor and branch manager would only show you love if you were a push over but other than that it was a great experience. A lot of the time we would have to move transients off Santa Monica blvd so I would try to establish a rapport with them to make them more comfortable and more understanding, because most of them were going through a lot and had a lot going on.
Great to work for! Opportunites to advance are abundant!!
Former Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  MultipleMarch 13, 2017
Great leadership team with a fast growing company. If you are someone who is responsible and productive, you will have a future.

So many of the people who are rating BBB low, are just lazy and don't want to work. They cause the drama they complain about. Don't buy it, each location is different so if one is not for you try another.

I have had nothing but success working here and would recommend to anyone looking for a great career opportunity.
Pros
Good Pay, Flexible leadership, networking
Cons
weekends, holidays
Dishonest and sneaky corporate leaders, poor management structure, easy work
Safety Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 11, 2017
Not prestigious but very high profile. While on patrol as an Ambassador you come in contact with a lot people who are curious about your role in the community. The job depends on what the client wants, so in one city the job might be more about Public Safety and hospitality for the downtown area, while in another city it's about the overall appearance and cleanliness. In either case the ambassadors duties are always subject to change.

There is no true leadership from the company on a corporate level or at the management level.There are yes men who agree to have the people who actually provide the services that Block by Block sells bend over backwards. All of this important to note before entering into employment with this company because literally everything about the Ambassador positions is up for negotiations.

Corporate has high standards but they rarely uphold their end of the bargain. Employees of the month don't receive corporate recognition, unpaid referral bonuses, late pay raises, overlooks qualified candidates for promotion...
Pros
Weekly pay, great exercise, easy work
Cons
The decision makers are sneaky, lazy, and don't hold themselves accountable.
Funnest job than working a corporate office job.
Aloha Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Waikīkī, HIMarch 7, 2017
Everyday is a new experience and you are never in the same place. You get to talk to people from all over the world. In the job you are learn many things and become really familiar with the Waikiki district and all its businesses. Workplace is family oriented and fun. Hardest part about the job is possibly dealing with crazy homeless sometimes. Most enjoyable part of the job is leaving people when you know they were satisfied and you have helped them achieve a solution to their problem. Also, if you were able to make a genuine connection and share the gift of laughter.
Pros
Funny family environment, Meet great people everyday.
Cons
Some benefits could be better, low pay.
Bad management, being spy on by supervisor all day
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 30, 2017
Unless you like picking up garbage and long walk this job isnt all that great beside the pay.. supervisor spy on you all day through vender and in store just to see if u doing ur job..not only that the team lead are rude and act like their above you...it is of the biggest turn company ive work for..im guess the becuase the childish manager and un organize staff...not to mention the bootcamp breifing you go through in your training...
Pros
Birthday pay..meeting new people...
Cons
No advancement...unfit management .etc
Meeting great people!
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 6, 2017
I love my job! Yes, you walk around with a broom and dust pan some times and yes, you may need to spray off graffiti but the true pleasure in my job comes from meeting and getting to know the wonderful people downtown. You become a smiling face to many that dread coming to work every day. It takes a special kind of personality to be an ambassador for Block by Block.
Pros
Meet a ton of people, learn about festivities in my downtown first, get to enjoy the outdoors and I'm not stuck in a wearhouse or behind a desk all day.
Cons
We all would like more money but I feel I'm paid well for the tasks I'm asked to do.
Good working place
Downtown Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 3, 2017
It's a excellent company to work for block by block it's an experience a will not forget. A typical day a greet an meet out of towners while cleaning the environment.
High school drama, helping people isn't an actual mission of the company.
Homeless Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 7, 2016
Be wary of this position! You are being given the title of "Homeless Outreach Spacialist" but you will have zero tools available to help anyone. You will be put in difficult situations because of the Operations Manager, Marco, forcing your coworkers to victimize the homeless, and he will tell you to keep your mouth shut about it. There is no training, no guidelines, and no policies in effect for this position. Furthermore, if you want to work in the field of helping the homeless, this position is underpaid by at LEAST $2 an hour in comparision to the LOWEST paid outreach organizations. Not to mention there is ZERO opportunity within the company if you would like to grow in the field of helping the homeless. High school drama, Marco (Operations Manager) will lie to fire you if he doesn't like you, no structure in place for actually helping, the account in Pasadena doesn't follow company policies and will drag employees through the dirt just because they don't like them.
Pros
No supervision (don't have to actually work, just make phony report)
Cons
High school drama, poor wages, discrimination, retaliation, inconsistent enforcement of policies
I loved working with my team and others to better Austin
Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 3, 2016
Great work team with lots of support and trust.I loved the fact we work wore matching uniforms which united us in making Austin wonderful. A trust smile and face to help others tourist, shareholders, and the homeless.
Pros
Hours, trust, great leaders
Cons
health benefits and turnover.
Great work place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  West Hollywood, CASeptember 27, 2016
Very great productive workplace
Great boss
Great co workers
Great city and people . The atmosphere of the city is wonderful. You're in the middle of melrose and Hollywood Blvd so you see much and run into celebrities all the time.
Pros
Great benefits and coworkers
Cons
I wish I can work more b
a day
Downtown ambassadors, Jacksonville Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Out early picking up trash How to stay alert out thereon the streets management needs a change with there supervisor Co-workers was great when you had to deal with people
bad management, always looking behind your back
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 15, 2016
you will clean up urine of homeless people, picking up after them waking them up, its horrible and they stink I'm surprised i didn't get any contagious. working here is gross you're basically maintenance and not hospitality. you will be walking with pan and broom at all time this job is about being a janitor and not a hospitality ambassador
Pros
no pros
Cons
short breaks (walking for long periods of time ) don't feel safe walking around, picking up trash and cleaning after homeless people
love working there
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 3, 2016
I really like working for Block by Block. The management leaves some to be desired, as do the policies, and someone of the co workers, the pay isn't enough to live on unless you have more than one person in your house working.
Pros
outside all the time.
Cons
pay
Poor management and very disorganized
Safety Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 26, 2016
It is slightly better than fast food or retail, but only marginally. Expectations are constantly Changing, and you are constantly on your feet with no ability to sit down required to walk 8-12 miles a day. You must address drug addicts and dealers, and get them to leave an area with no means of self defense. You are prohibited from carrying a phone to even call 911 and are instead provided with a radio to call a team lead in the event of an emergency and they will then ask a bunch of questions and think about whether to maybe call the police. Even when a colleague had someone literally fall to their death right in front of him he had to make repeated radio calls for around 10 minutes with no answer before he finally reached someone. Then the next day after not even thinking twice about offering any kind of help or time for processing such a situation they wonder why you are not highly motivated to pick up trash.
Pros
Get to walk around the city and learn a little about it.
Cons
The novelty of walking around the city wears off after walking all day everyday, failed to provide promised raise
Excellent benefits fun people to work for
Cleaning Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2016
Excellent company to work for with great benefits, there are holiday bonuses paid trainings company provided uniforms and all equipment provided
nice starter job
Clean team ambassador (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
this is a type of job for learning responsibility and learning to appreciate your work area. for me it was a good exp. I met new people and learned a lot about my city which I lived in all my life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Block By Block. Our community is ready to answer.