Block By Block

Block By Block Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Ambassador (Former Employee), Del Rey, CAAugust 9, 2015
Pros: You meet wonderful people on the streets
Cons: You have to get through a Bully-style briefing twice a day
This is a company that says you are an ambassador to the city of Santa Monica but the management makes it unbearable. You start your day as if you are in army training. Matter of fact, most of the managers are pass military people. You have morning and evening briefs. This is where they scream at you. They make you feel so bad and then send you out on the streets to be friendly (which is all you want to do anyway). You also have to pick up trash and dog stuff all day. You feel more a janitor than anything else. They make employees tell on each other and you can get fired for the craziest reasons. All your firing will come from just free-talk in the briefing room, so you have to watch out for EVERYTHING you say. This place gives you no skills. Its better to be a retiree than a student as you will learn NOTHING. It's a waste of life for anyone who's looking to grown in their experiences. If you complain to corporate, they will actually ask you to decide why you are being terminated if you are unhappy with what was said about you. It starts from the top; no wonder they have a HIGH turnover. Those people are CRAZY.
Selfless and Rewarding
Part-TIme Ambassador (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAJune 4, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, culture and benefits.
Cons: Working in inclement weather can be tough at times.
In my short time working with Block by Block I must say that I have a great boss and team.

Keeping my downtown clean, safe and beautiful is rewarding. Being able to represent my community and interacting with people daily is a reward and my piece of selflessness daily.
Dealt with people and fun working outside
Clean Ambassador (Former Employee), Queens, NYMay 11, 2015
Pros: Able to help people and work ouside
Cons: Low wages
I was responsible for cleaning the street around Jackson Heights Business District. One of the best parts of the day was being able to help people if they needed directions or information about the area.
ill prepared for the type of work
Events Coordinator (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 31, 2015
bumbling fools that were ill prepared fools no concept of what they were doing. bad timing and schedule switching at a moment's notice
Fun place to work
Field Director & Office Lead (Former Employee), Washington, D.C.February 20, 2015
Great place to work. The culture is great, team members are great and management is exceptional. Great place to gain grassroots campaign experience.
Potential Growth
Senior Landscaping Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 16, 2014
Safe work environment, friendly co workers, Growth potential
best Company i have ever been with
security (Current Employee), ventura CaSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: paid birthday paid holiday
Cons: maybe we just need nicer uniforms lol
In all honesty i was skeptical about working as a security guard/ safety ambassador only due to the fact that i wasn't really ever dealing with as much as people throughout the city I've only dealt with one business at a time. I have been in the security profession for 3 years now. 6 months with this company. Great compensation and and overall i believe its really all how your upper management treats you. My manager is really great with us he is really good at finding ways to accommodate our needs if their is any scheduling issues or what have you. I work in Ventura i secure the hotel here at the beach and the public parking structure next door as well. Sometimes it can be challenging especially because you are alone and i work the graveyard shift but like i said overall great company i would recommend working for them.
Making Downtown Denver Clean , Safe and vibrant
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 3, 2014
Daily operations maintaining Downtown Denver.
Cleanliness
Lighting
Power washing
Trash removal
Banners
Special events
First Security job
Ambassador (Former Employee), Bridgeport, CTMarch 18, 2014
Pros: great co workers
Cons: to far to travel
traveled from Bridgeport, to Meridian. was to much for me to handle to travel that far. loved the places that they placed me to secure, but eventually had to resign
Productive fast paced position
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: worked on the field & in office
Typical day at work included: Interacting with Clients to ensure expectations are met, Supervising field employees ensuring effectiveness, Collaborated with City Agencies (DSNY, DOT & Parks Department) to streamline effectiveness in our service district.

Things I learned: Budget Management, Managing Inventory, Use of various equipment such as Chainsaws and Pressure Washing Machines.
dead end job
cleaner-.....it was called SGA (Former Employee), Camden NJJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: nothing....
Cons: no benefits no paid holidays and vacatoin pay.
im a former employee but then the company was called SGA not block by block.....and management sucked taking kick backs from store owners to have their sidewalks clean which it wasnt our job to do it. i was employed at the camden nj branch....
Learning experince Job
Cleaning Ambassador (Former Employee), Newark, NJJanuary 7, 2014
Cons: short breaks, weather conditions
You work by yourself and you handle your zone.
The less problems you have the eiser it was on you
Productive Busy Atmosphere
Transit Ambassador (Former Employee), Camden, NJJanuary 7, 2014
Maintained required station. Assisted patrons in day to day travel. Assisted in day to day transactions. Greeted customers in timely fashion .
Productive and fun place to work
Maintenance/ Hospitality Ambassador (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CADecember 19, 2013
Pros: safe work atmosphere
Most enjoyable was friendly atmosphere between employees and clients. Highly professional and motive team spirit
Not very good management
Hospitality Ambassador (Former Employee), Rosslyn, VANovember 5, 2013
A lot of direct labor - handing out flyers, setting up tents for farmer's markets and music events. Be prepared to get sweaty and dirty.
Great Location
Hospitality Ambassador (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CASeptember 12, 2013
Pros: great weather
Cons: bad management
Weather is always great in Santa Monica.
Assist Tourist with inquiries
Not that good
Fun and team players
Dealing with Management that doesnt have a clue
Helping greet with questions
Company discriminates against older heavyweight people.
Safety Ambassador (Former Employee), GR. Rapids, MISeptember 7, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: prejudice against middle age over weight males.
I applied for Safety Ambassador at Gd Rapids, MI. The interviewer left me with the impression he wasn't hiring me because I was a middle age somewhat obese person.
A company with a lot of corporate support.
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Perrysburg, OHJuly 22, 2013
Over all a very good experience. The best at what they do. The Parent company, SMS Holdings, provide a lot of support and tools for employees success.
fun but extreme working with all kinds of people.
Ambassador (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 12, 2013
Pros: organized working in the field
fun but extreme working with all kinds and types of people never know what type of day u would have.
It's a Job
Maintenance (Former Employee), South Bend, INJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: changing but enjoyable work
Cons: bad moral
· Day's weren't typical. There was somethink new everyday.
· I learned a lot. I worked maintenance with little training. I learned to use tool I've never used before such as grinders,street sweeper, and, a paint sprayer. I learned new painting, and plumbing techniques.
· We had a high turn over, especially with direct management. They never seemed to care much for the workers. I how ever never saw much of the being on 3rd shift. But there was a lot of bad reviews among 1st and 2nd shift workers.
· I was one of two maintenence men. I was always having to train new guy because they would leave after a short time. They were usually good workers.
· The job was 100% outside. I was hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. Especially 3rd shift. The attire we worn never really helped much. Also, It's a really dangerous environment. Some of the Downtown South Bend patrons get drunk and violent. We weren't allowed to carry defense equipment. Never know if you're going to make it home.
· Despite the mostly negative atmosphere. It was great learning new things. I feel I'm a better maintenance/handyman.
Headquarters