Block By Block Employee Reviews in United States

Always busy work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 14, 2016
Maintained cleanliness of community parks and streets in the downtown area. Ensured cleanliness of River Walk area to be in compliant with San Antonio River Authority guidelines. Attended meetings every morning to prepare for the day’s work agenda. Assisted tourists in providing basic information about our city and also gave them directions to get to their destination. Work was done in all types of weather conditions.
Pros
Enjoyed talking with tourists
Cons
outside weather conditions
Selfless and Rewarding
Part-TIme Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 4, 2015
In my short time working with Block by Block I must say that I have a great boss and team.

Keeping my downtown clean, safe and beautiful is rewarding. Being able to represent my community and interacting with people daily is a reward and my piece of selflessness daily.
Pros
Flexibility, culture and benefits.
Cons
Working in inclement weather can be tough at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Regional Vice President (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 15, 2016
Working with non-profits, budgets and profit margins are always a challenge. Being able to complete any customer request, adjusting schedules to complete those task, and keeping budgets and profit in line. Working in the Downtown Industry, everything you did made a difference to customers, residence and visitors.
Pros
Working from home, flexible schedule
productive
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 15, 2015
a typical day was very busy as a dispatcher but was very rewarding knowing that you helped some out. Some days I could not wait for the workers to come in and tell me how there day was. management was very unorganized meaning one person would tell you to do something one way and then another person would tell you to do it there way so that was very confusion, my co-workers where great I had a special bond with each and every one of them, I learned to be very patient, and understand every day was going to be a different day at work.
Pros
the dpd would bring lunch in there for us
Cons
dispatches always did not get a break
Productive and fun
Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 16, 2016
Managing the Downtown safety program and 17 employees was all in a day of work. This company was contracted through The DLBA and managed over 85 blocks of the downtown property base improvement district.
Pros
working with the public and business owners and outreaching to the community.
best Company i have ever been with
security (Current Employee) –  ventura CaSeptember 24, 2014
In all honesty i was skeptical about working as a security guard/ safety ambassador only due to the fact that i wasn't really ever dealing with as much as people throughout the city I've only dealt with one business at a time. I have been in the security profession for 3 years now. 6 months with this company. Great compensation and and overall i believe its really all how your upper management treats you. My manager is really great with us he is really good at finding ways to accommodate our needs if their is any scheduling issues or what have you. I work in Ventura i secure the hotel here at the beach and the public parking structure next door as well. Sometimes it can be challenging especially because you are alone and i work the graveyard shift but like i said overall great company i would recommend working for them.
Pros
paid birthday paid holiday
Cons
maybe we just need nicer uniforms lol
nice starter job
Clean team ambassador (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
this is a type of job for learning responsibility and learning to appreciate your work area. for me it was a good exp. I met new people and learned a lot about my city which I lived in all my life.
I enjoyed this job.
Hospitality Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 3, 2016
I learned a lot being employed at Block by Block. I grew to become a stronger, patient and wiser individual. I would refer anyone to apply to work at Block by Block.
Terrible place to work
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Del Rey, CAAugust 9, 2015
This is a company that says you are an ambassador to the city of Santa Monica but the management makes it unbearable. You start your day as if you are in army training. Matter of fact, most of the managers are pass military people. You have morning and evening briefs. This is where they scream at you. They make you feel so bad and then send you out on the streets to be friendly (which is all you want to do anyway). You also have to pick up trash and dog stuff all day. You feel more a janitor than anything else. They make employees tell on each other and you can get fired for the craziest reasons. All your firing will come from just free-talk in the briefing room, so you have to watch out for EVERYTHING you say. This place gives you no skills. Its better to be a retiree than a student as you will learn NOTHING. It's a waste of life for anyone who's looking to grown in their experiences. If you complain to corporate, they will actually ask you to decide why you are being terminated if you are unhappy with what was said about you. It starts from the top; no wonder they have a HIGH turnover. Those people are CRAZY.
Pros
You meet wonderful people on the streets
Cons
You have to get through a Bully-style briefing twice a day
Productive work place.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 8, 2016
I learned how to relate issues to whatever struggle families are having, looking for support. The management was well organized. Good hourly wage.
Overal the work days are very productive.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 15, 2015
A typical day would involve deploying Ambassadors to their work districts and quality assurance to make sure work is being done to Block by Block standards, The hardest part of the job is getting all the ambassadors to comply with company's policies and procedures.
dead end job
cleaner-.....it was called SGA (Former Employee) –  Camden NJJanuary 7, 2014
im a former employee but then the company was called SGA not block by block.....and management sucked taking kick backs from store owners to have their sidewalks clean which it wasnt our job to do it. i was employed at the camden nj branch....
Pros
nothing....
Cons
no benefits no paid holidays and vacatoin pay.
Walking
Minneapolis downtown improvement district (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 19, 2015
The job is pretty easy and open. Most people doesnt like the factthat yiou have to walk around with a broom, dust pan and bucket.
meeting new people everyday
downtown ambassador (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque nmAugust 31, 2015
I did a lot walking and cleaned the downtown everyday picking after people and helping people to a location from out town and out of state
Dealt with people and fun working outside
Clean Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 11, 2015
I was responsible for cleaning the street around Jackson Heights Business District. One of the best parts of the day was being able to help people if they needed directions or information about the area.
Pros
Able to help people and work ouside
Cons
Low wages
Fun place to work
Field Director & Office Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.February 20, 2015
Great place to work. The culture is great, team members are great and management is exceptional. Great place to gain grassroots campaign experience.
It's a Job
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 29, 2013
· Day's weren't typical. There was somethink new everyday.
· I learned a lot. I worked maintenance with little training. I learned to use tool I've never used before such as grinders,street sweeper, and, a paint sprayer. I learned new painting, and plumbing techniques.
· We had a high turn over, especially with direct management. They never seemed to care much for the workers. I how ever never saw much of the being on 3rd shift. But there was a lot of bad reviews among 1st and 2nd shift workers.
· I was one of two maintenence men. I was always having to train new guy because they would leave after a short time. They were usually good workers.
· The job was 100% outside. I was hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. Especially 3rd shift. The attire we worn never really helped much. Also, It's a really dangerous environment. Some of the Downtown South Bend patrons get drunk and violent. We weren't allowed to carry defense equipment. Never know if you're going to make it home.
· Despite the mostly negative atmosphere. It was great learning new things. I feel I'm a better maintenance/handyman.
Pros
changing but enjoyable work
Cons
bad moral
I do enjoy my job cleaning and helpng give direction to lost people in downtown area.
Cleaner/Powerwasher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 12, 2012
I start my day off with roll call at operations. Clean, escort people to places in downtown area. Helping keep downtown clean an safe. We are a part of Mpls 1st precinct Police Dept. We carry radio, and cleaning supplies as we go out through the day. I have learned to conversate and help people. Our management is the best. There is no hard part. I think the most enjoyable part of my job is helping the elderly.
ill prepared for the type of work
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 31, 2015
bumbling fools that were ill prepared fools no concept of what they were doing. bad timing and schedule switching at a moment's notice
Productive fast paced position
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 26, 2014
Typical day at work included: Interacting with Clients to ensure expectations are met, Supervising field employees ensuring effectiveness, Collaborated with City Agencies (DSNY, DOT & Parks Department) to streamline effectiveness in our service district.

Things I learned: Budget Management, Managing Inventory, Use of various equipment such as Chainsaws and Pressure Washing Machines.
Pros
worked on the field & in office

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Block By Block. Our community is ready to answer.