Blockbuster Employee Reviews

They closed the company down.
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 15, 2018
When they hired me the District manager told me that i would have my own store in 6 months. Not knowing that the company was closing in 6 months. They had us rearranging the store every week for nothing. I didn't get it until they closed us down.They were just trying to keep us busy.
Pros
Free movie rentals.
Cons
Misinformed about job advancement.
Shame to See It Go
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLJanuary 15, 2018
Truly enjoyed my time here and got introduced to my true passion in life, managing people. Still miss the store and the personal ownership it gave me.
Best job ever
Assistant Store ManagerResponsible (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 14, 2018
Employees were always a pleasure to work with. Management team was always supportive of family obligations & personal matters. Company was always willing to adjust schedules for personal reasons.
Blockbuster is no longer a company...
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 13, 2018
Blockbuster is no longer a company. It is out of business. The ability to work here is unapparent. Even if you wanted to work at Blockbuster, you couldn't, so don't even try. Do you even remember what Blockbuster is?
If it opens back up, I wouldn't recommend working there.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 12, 2018
If it opens back up, I wouldn't recommend working there, because of management. There was no overtime, sick leave or benefits. It was very competitive and everything was about sales.
a friendly place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  SonoraJanuary 9, 2018
In this job I was the manager. I have to open the store and closed it. I don't have to stay all day but I had to be there when the store was more busy (most of the time 3 hours before the store was closed). I had to make most of the decisions to guaranty to our customers ours services. I was in charged of the employees.
Pros
salary, employees, benefits
Cons
my shift wasn't the same every day
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Fun place to work. Manger and Supervisor were top notch. I learned team work. Co-workers and Customers were very nice. Th ehardest part was when they relocated and it was too far for me to travel.
I would still work here if the company wasn't bankrupt
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2018
I would still work here if the company wasn't bankrupt and my store hadn't closed. The potential and experience to move up and grow at the company was super easy.
Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Glenwood Springs, COJanuary 5, 2018
Poor hours but good benefits provided To management
No longer in business in our area
Overall a fun place to work that was not overly stressful
Good wages
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Hours
It was great while I was young
Satyr Hill - Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDJanuary 5, 2018
Honestly, I wish the world still needed Blockbusters. It was amazing to go in, browse movies, talk with other fans, and run this store. Unfortunately, the work model no longer works, and this company is out of business.
Pros
Free Rentals. Great Work Culture. I was in charge.
Cons
Went out of business.
day of work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJanuary 5, 2018
This was a good experience to learn how to run reports and run closeouts every night and do inventory every Saturday. Opening accounts and cards for customers daily.
I miss this...
District Trainer (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 4, 2018
Other than a streaming service and the Franchise stores in Alaska BBV is no more. Technology overtook it and made it obsolete. Sad but true. I worked from a Register person through a Field Management position.
Pros
Cons
Closed
Fun place to work at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJanuary 3, 2018
I absolutely loved working at this job! The employees all worked together as a team and we were able to get many things done. I enjoyed being the manager of Blockbuster because I made sure things were done in a fair and decent manner. I was very sad when they decided to close the establishment as it was one of my favorite jobs.
Pros
Free rentals, half priced movies
Cons
No healthcare
COMMUNITY RELATIONS AND GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILJanuary 2, 2018
I started at Blockbuster in April of 2001 and left in Dec 2008 when they first started to slowly close stores. It was great to get five free movies a week. I started as a cashier part-time and then about six months into it I went into management. When I left BBV in 2008 I was making 37000 a year and small store bonus .Towards the end of my employment they really started to decrease labor and demanded a lot of single coverage. Like a manager would have to work 9-5pm by themselves, answer phones, reshelf movies, cash out guest, and any other manager paper work/duties which if was in a steady store may have had to stay an hour or two after shift to play catch up. It was all good because from what I recall we were on hourly pay not salary.
Pros
Free Rentals
Cons
A lot of single coverage and the theft of videos/dvd.
out of business
Tn- Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 2, 2018
There isnt a review because they are officially out of business. But while working there it was slow paced. You assisted customers with their movie and game rentals.
Nothing to Say
Shift Manager Blockbuster (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLJanuary 2, 2018
The Company went under and is no longer in business. They were a great company and innovative for its time. The company closed its doors back in 2011.
Great until closing
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAJanuary 1, 2018
This was a great job and company to work for until unfortunately the company went out of business. Will always be one of my favorite jobs. So thankful for my time with the company.
Fun and competitive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 1, 2018
Had a fun manager. It was a great time dealing with customers and talking with them and the kind of movies they liked. Was fun to be able to get to watch new releases before anybody else. Sad they closed.
Company is closed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 1, 2018
Blockbuster was a great place to work and I learned a lot while with the company. Sadly the company went out of business about eight years ago now, so it is not relevant to review them.
Blockbuster
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield, MIDecember 31, 2017
Blockbuster no longer exists. Blockbuster was good place to work, but I worked part time as I was in school at time. As a manager, I learned a lot about customer service and different manager techniques.