Blockbuster Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,799 reviews matching the search
no longer in busines
District Manager (Former Employee) –  OregonMay 18, 2016
na went out of business. made bad decisions.
was a great company at one point, but took on a debt that could not be repaid and was bought out by Dish network.
Fun videos
Customer Sevice Representative (Former Employee) –  Asheboro, NCMay 10, 2016
Getting to watch tv while you work? Heck yes and get payed to play video games. Such a fun job but doesn't pay that well. Also they made me clock out for a 30 minutebreak if you work over 4 hours..
Fine business in a very competitive environment.
Senior Manager - Store Operations (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 5, 2016
Fine business in a very competitive environment. Management was fine to work for and were fair in all aspects of work life.
very productive work area
Cashier (Former Employee) –  YazooMay 4, 2016
love working at this place. I got to meet new people and see great movies. my manager was awesome and I learned so much from them.
Pros
watch movies before the were released
fun workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mexico CityApril 26, 2016
The typical day at work was to order the movies, cash register, cleaning, call for rent due dates, and offer the membership cards to clients.

There is a lot of competence among co-workers trying to obtain the bonus each month

The work is really tiring because you cant sit.
Pros
can't sit, low salary
Cons
free rentals
Great place to work!
Exec.Secretary-VP/Franchise Ops.Mgr./HR Mgr (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 18, 2016
While it was in business, it was a great place to work! Growth opportunities and advancement with the support of management.
Pros
Discount movies and company functions
Cons
High turnover and relocation of corp office
The state of Blockbuster towards the end of the companies run taught me to how to handle the struggles of retail at their most extreme.
District Training Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 17, 2016
The thing a loved most about Blockbuster Video was the loyalty from customers and associates. I was hired in 2002 just after the Viacom split and things were great. I received excellent education and training to move into my store manager position. The company rewarded its employee with parties, bonuses, and trips out of state for meetings. 4 years later and on it changed, I enjoyed the independence of being a store manager. I was able to hire my own people to build support and develop, however upper management was inconsistent and overworked. There were rarely bonuses, contests, parties and prizes needed to be managed at the store level with no company support. The loyalty of customers meant your traffic did not decrease however, you worked alone in a store for 5+ hours. Challenged of closing store announcements and fear of job security were a constant in the last 3 years. All this gave me experience in managing and motivating people in a constantly changing and desperate environment.
great start
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAApril 15, 2016
blockbuster was my first real company job they gave me the experiance i needed in customer service skills. The company gave me the skills i needed to become better at what i was trying to do
Pros
free movies
Cons
pay not that great
fun place
shift manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, MOApril 14, 2016
Great place to work while they were opened. Very friendly management. Good work/life balance and very nice co-workers.
Blockbuster
SALES/ CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 14, 2016
It was an easy job considering that I am a people person and love to sale. We would often have repeat customers who can just to see our smiling faces.
Pros
Good people and customers.
Cons
They closed down.
An amazing experience, right through to the end.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 12, 2016
Day sometimes start with opening and placement of promotional materials. From there, did everything from sweeping to customer account retention. Amazing and entertaining environent, and co-workers that would have considered friends, at the time. Was very sad to see it close down.
Pros
Co-workers, free rentals, early access to new media
Cons
Was not located in the best of neighborhoods, unruley customers, layout resets, shoplifters
Fun place to work!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, OKApril 12, 2016
Fun, fun, fun! Required a great deal of commitment and hard work but I loved every minute of working for the company. Opportunity for advancement was always an option for anyone wanting more! Best job ever, but it took a toll on me once I started my own family. Managing any retail store is hard really, it requires your undivided attention much like a child and needs you to be there at the drop of a dime if needed too... Priceless experience!
Pros
Free rentals!
Cons
Public demand for entertainment
Na
Store Manager/ District Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXApril 10, 2016
I worked for them when I was 18 and then while I was in the marine corps and I was loving the company advancing at a high rate of speed then the company went under and I lost everything.
Great people and great place to work!!
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 9, 2016
Blockbuster was a fun filled area.. Lots of people to come in and talk to.. I would start my day by talking to the last lead about the days details.. I would get to be around people and help them with there every need..
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Heathcare
Fun Place but no room for advancement
Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 6, 2016
Had fun working here and made great friends, but this isn't a job where you can advance very far. The upper management was very good at micromanaging.
Selling is not easy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAApril 5, 2016
Scan movies and try to sell and hit pre-sale and bundle goals
Ask every customer if they want to add candy or pre-buy a game/moive
I had one kind manager the rest were relentless with pushing sales and made work miserable
Great co-workers happy and helpful
Selling and hitting pre-sale and bundle goals
Interacting with customers
Pros
Free movie rentals and game rentals, easy work aside from selling
Cons
selling, management, hours, and pay
na
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39209April 5, 2016
great company hate they closed down would prob still be there loved the employees as well learned a lot there on that job very nice play
Downhill since Dish purchased Blockbuster.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CAApril 4, 2016
I wouldn't work here now, maybe 10 years ago. They are always pushing you to sell Dish tv and candy. If it wasn't for that, you could really have a fun work environment.
Pros
Cool environment.
Cons
Always pushing sales.
Fun work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boaz, ALApril 1, 2016
Blockbuster provided a great place to get to help people and get to now there interest and tastes. Great team based atmosphere.
Loved this job, top store and district and seller in company
Manager/Training Manager/District Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAMarch 30, 2016
Started as Manager, then asked to train company on selling, then District Manager. Wish they were quicker with online movies before netflix did them in.
Pros
loved the job