Blockbuster
1,670 reviews

Blockbuster Employee Reviews

Corporate climate, fun staff
Lead Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Studio City, CAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Free rentals
Cons: angry customers
Management was easy to get along with, although they were under tons of stress from "corporate." It was a fun environment because we were all kids, but the constant battles with customers over late fees could be a bit wearing. They eventually went out of business because of this.
Great beginner job
o Part-time employee (Former Employee), Lebanon, ORJuly 2, 2015
Very open and free. Good breaks and lunch given. Co-workers great to work with (with one exception). Very lenient with hours and time off.
Excellent company, management and flexibility. Overall terrific job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Troy, NYJune 30, 2015
Fantastic company that appreciated and valued its employees and customers. I learned a lot from the company and from management. Upselling, customer service, retail, customer appreciation, team work, numerical sales goals, how to open and close a store and the list goes on.
Most enjoyable had to be my co-workers and customers. Management and my co-workers truly worked as a team and always helped one another improve (whether it was on sales, upselling, communication, etc) and lifted one another up. It was a fantastic environment where one could learn, grow, sell, communicate and truly learn customer service, retail and upselling.
just a job
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Morgan Hill, CAJune 30, 2015
customer service was done like every place. help them with there rentals and offer opinions on the movie. help them check out after and clean store after closing.
I got free movies
Customer Service (Former Employee), Evergreen Park, ILJune 28, 2015
Pros: free movies
Cons: horrible pay no vacation
it was fun talking about movies, the customers was were kind of a hassle trying to explains why things get damaged or how to manage their accounts
Fun workplace
Assistant Store Manager (ASM) (Former Employee), Massillon, OhioJune 25, 2015
Pros: Hours, pay and benefits
Cons: Upset customers
Blockbuster was a fun, relaxing and easy job. Being a manager has taught me time management, communication with employees as well as customers and self motivation.
I learned inventory, merchandising, data entry and retail sales.
I enjoyed the co-workers I worked with and the friendliness of customers.
Only thing hard about the job was having to deal with upset customers, which I learned how to handle them and satisfy their needs.
Fun place to work.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Sherman Oaks, CAJune 24, 2015
I would go in and get the money, paperwork and everything else ready for the day to start. During the day I would check in movies, help customers, work on projects, clean and anything else that needed to be done that day. I always had pretty good managers that I looked up to and then I became one of those store managers. Hardest part was having to deal with problem customers. People who didn't want to pay their late fees and things like that. Most were fine, but occasionally there would be that one person that just wanted to try to start an argument. Best part was getting to talk about movies. I love watching movies, so it was great when I got to recommend them to people and talk about them.
Went Bankrupt Slowly
Customer Service Rep & Key Holder Manager (Former Employee), Olean, NyJune 23, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: Open Every Day, Even Holidays!
Our Store Was Fun. Alot Of Good People. Just Didn't Have The Business To Keep It Open Anymore. Sad That It Wasn't Taking Care Of With More Help From The Company.
Active, Customer Service Position
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Addison, TXJune 22, 2015
Pros: Free movie rentals, flexible schedule
Reaching daily sales goals, exceptional customer service experience. Ability to spark conversation with strangers and offer recommendations. Restocking and controlling inventory.
Rewards for successful mangers (Recognition & Money)
Manager (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAJune 19, 2015
Pros: Amazing District Manager
Cons: Have to put in extreme amout of hours to be successfull
• Daily operational duties to include opening and closing, count tills, prepare deposits, cash management, prepare work schedules and corrective actions, execution of marketing and visual programs, inventory, account maintenance, loss prevention, payroll, purchase orders, shipping/receiving and ordering stock
• Recruit, hire, train, evaluate and counsel store employees
• Develop future managers and employee performance improvement plans
• Maintain store facility while staying within store budget
• Assisted customers with purchase needs utilizing product knowledge and terminology
• Stock and maintain merchandise
• Building lasting relationship by offering superior service
• Maintained accurate records while under intense time constraints.
Awful Place to Work
Assistant Store Manager-Several locations (Former Employee), Sewell, NJJune 18, 2015
Pros: 5 free rentals a week
Cons: Every aspect of the job was awful...with the exception of the crew
It was no wonder why they went out of business it was a awful company. People who worked for 5 years or more made minimum wage including managers.
Productive and fun
Help in customer service and sales (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 17, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere
Cons: no management
Wonderful job, work flow was easy, customers were nice, management was dicey, but it was a great job. Co workers were a joy to be around. The hardest part was figuring out scheduling.
I loved this jon wish it never closed!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Schertz, TXJune 17, 2015
Pros: free rentals
Cons: none
I loved my job here. We were like a family there. It was fun and laid back. Loved my managers and co-workers! I absolutely loved everything about this job and I learned alot and moved up very fast.
movies
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fargo, NDJune 16, 2015
blockbuster was a fun and enjoyable place to work. the co workers were awesome and the customers were for the most part nice to talk with. not only giving our review to the customers it was fun to hear what they had to say about the movies as well. unfortunately with todays technology blockbuster's fargo franchises were unable to make it anymore and closed their doors in 2013
Fun job with many forms of entertainment
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Denver, COJune 15, 2015
Pros: Five free movies each week
Cons: not easy to move up within the company
Start the day by running the start of day on the computers and counting money, checking in movies dropped in the drop box. Made sure the store looked good and was ready for customers. Make sales and stock shelves while handling customers and employees. I learned much about entertainment and selling products. Management was difficult at times yet we always found a way to make a day full and successful. Co-workers were at times hard to deal with but we found a way to make each day work out. Hardest part of the job was learning the correct ways to lead and finding the best way to follow. I enjoyed the customers and the environment.
Fun workplace, flexible hours.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Milford, ConnecticutJune 14, 2015
Pros: Rewards for performance, flexible hours., nice staff.
Cons: low pay, company went out of business.
The training was decent, my co-workers were pleasant, my manager was very nice and offered us rewards for our performance which made work more fun.
Work Day
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Laredo, TXJune 14, 2015
Pros: It showed me to be a good customer service representative.
Cons: The stores closed and was left without a job.
Since I was a shift leader, a typical day would be to check the tills for the correct amount of currency there should be, check if the store was clean, and deposit money before opening the store. After doing that I would greet the customers as they would come in. Instruct my employees on what to do as well as train them. It was a great working environment while it lasted because all the stores closed after a while due to the new redbox renting. I would always help customers even when they were upset, I would calm the situation and have my customers leave with a smile on their face and being a happy customer.
Fun workplace, enjoyable people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hingham, MAJune 14, 2015
Pros: Free movie rentals
Cons: no healthcare, low pay
A typical day at work included helping customers find what they needed, checking them out, and checking movies back in. As well as restocking movies and candy. I also helped check in and register new movies into the system when they would come in, and helped promote movies and programs for the company. I mainly learned how to get along with people and how important it to have a good attitude everyday. Management was great and I never had any problem with it. I had little to no problems with my co-workers, the only problem being when a manager was rude and overly bossy. I do not feel like the job at Blockbuster was too difficult and the most enjoyable parts of it were interacting with the people.
Friendly work environment
Manager (Former Employee), Tyler, TXJune 10, 2015
Pros: Was a great Job!
Cons: Closed down
Consciously created a workplace culture that was consistent with the overall organizations principles , and values of the that emphasizes the identified mission , vision, guiding principles, and values of the organization
schedules, money management. Shipping and orders. Managing front office operations and inventory.
Summer Job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Owensboro, KYJune 10, 2015
This was a summer job for me while I was attending WKU, I had many regular customers and closed the store most nights by myself.

1 2 3 4 5