Blockbuster Employee Reviews

Found 2,160 reviews matching the search
relatively better environment job
Warehouse Distribution Clerk (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 19, 2017
quite fast pace job, an average salary with relatively good benefit. Pity the company can keep up with new technology so that it shouted down completely by the end 2013.
Blockbuster
merchandising/shift supervisor/cash handling (Former Employee) –  long beach caAugust 18, 2017
I worked for them when I was in college. Great company. I moved movie boxes around, vhs , remember those? How bout lazerI discs? It was a company ahead of its time, at that time.
Red Box won
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAAugust 18, 2017
Finished Blockbuster with managing 3 stores in my area. Trained and managed a large number of employees. But our company went belly up and had to close stores.
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, UTAugust 17, 2017
This job was very enjoyable daily.
I learned management skills.
The culture was very satisfying
The hardest part of the job was scheduling and trying to make
the Customers happy after they are told they had fees
The movies were the most enjoyable
Pros
Watch a lot of movies free
Cons
The pay
No longer in business
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAAugust 17, 2017
While company had been open work life had been fun and intriguing. No two people thought the same on a movie or game. Teams were families and always had each other if something was wrong.
Business is closed
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAAugust 16, 2017
This job was very laid back and quite easy. Its just an average job. The business closed down as renting videos became obsolete with the release of things like Redbox and Netflix.
Pros
Discount on movies.
Cons
Boring job.
Manage employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CAAugust 14, 2017
Rent out dvd and videos to customer. Open and close store. Manage employees and monitor breaks. Help with customers questions. Sell direct tv units to customers
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Vaction time was easily not approved
Free viewing of movies
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 13, 2017
Get to the store in the morning and prepare the movies and/or set up the wall for preparation of new movies coming out. Process all of the returned movies and shelve them back on the wall.
Pros
Free Movie viewing
Cons
Not enough money
This is a very good company for a starter job or if you want multiple jobs.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 13, 2017
Very enjoyable with great staff and managers. Amazing customers. It was very fast paced and you always have something to do. Over all it was a very good choice for a first job.
I still miss the place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ferndale, MIAugust 13, 2017
As repetitive as the work was, it was almost never the same day twice. Always helping the Customer find what they wanted. New Memberships came in every day. I really liked it there. The hardest part of the job was telling a Customer that we didn't have their movie in stock, so I would recommend something else. Being a movie fan this was a lot of fun to me. This was my first job after getting out of The Army so I had a great time with everyone. The Customers and The Associates were all a good bunch. Management could be a little stiff at times but you learn to work with all types there. All in all, this little piece of American History was a fun, fast paced and all around great work environment. I was sorry to see it go.
Pros
Work all the hours you wanted, Plenty to learn, Help the Customer in any way you could, Fair Pay
Cons
Very few but sometimes there were Managers that I didn't get along with too well
Unstable work environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJAugust 12, 2017
Hard environment to work in. A lot of people lost their jobs. A lot of angry employees and unmanageable attitudes. The job was fine up until the company got bought out.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 11, 2017
Cool, lively co-workers. Easy, laid back environment. On time breaks and lunches. Decent pay. No benefits. All around, fun place to work. Easy to keep organized.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Not enough pay
Fun place to work for movie lovers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 10, 2017
A typical day would start with a drawer count and bank run. Then movies would get checked in and put back out so that as many titles as possible were available for that day's set of customers.
I learned that a love of your field was not always enough to make a good employee.
Field management was always ready and available to help out any way they could. Daily communications from corporate usually kept everyone in the loop.
Customer service was a key element of workplace culture. Store teams were also encouraged to have friendly competitions within the store and with other stores with incentive contests on a regular basis.
The hardest part of the job was the day that I closed my store for the last time.
I enjoyed everything about my job. I loved interacting with the customers and discussing movies and TV shows with other people with the same interests.
Great for Enterainment
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLAugust 9, 2017
You always got the chance to look at new movies before anyone else and see what was going on. You could find what movies worked for which groups or what kind of nights people wanted. The problem was that not all managers wanted to be responsible. Some did not remember who had off on what days or who could work when and schedules may not always be right. Sometimes you would be asked to work a store a ways a way from where you lived and you may not always have a choice to work. It was a little hard sometimes. But the people you worked with and the customers made up for it and the fun BEGAN!
Busy at all time
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXAugust 9, 2017
Well the warehouse is now closed and I barely remember it. But I can remember that Blockbuster had great medical benefits . And ther was always overtime work if you needed it.
Pros
Benefits, workloads
Cons
Went out of business
great starter job
Shift Leader/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newton, NJAugust 8, 2017
good job for college student. Worked for me as a mom to be able to work nights and be home with kids when they got off of bus. Fun work overall meeting new people
Pros
learning experience
Cons
working with difficult, uncooperative teens
It's gone now
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 8, 2017
It was really great to have worked there. I do miss talking about movies everyday. I still am a huge movie fan because of Blockbuster. I do missing shopping walls of movies. The streaming services are so disconnected.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
It's gone now
Out of Business
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ferguson, MOAugust 8, 2017
When DVD's were popular, the Blockbuster's went belly-up and no one had a need for VCR tapes anymore. The company could not adapt with the trend of New DVD's and went out of business!
Pros
Free weekly movie rentals
Cons
long hours and working holiday weekends
When it was in Business, it was great!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 7, 2017
If they still existed, I would recommend this employer to anyone. Unfortunately, this business is no longer in service. It gave me a good amount of Customer Service skills, was a great place to learn how to organize, as well as having the perks of free movie rentals! I miss them, and wish they still existed, I would still be working with them today most likely.
Pros
Free Movie Rentals
Cons
They are Closed
fun
Warehouse Laborer (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXAugust 7, 2017
Loved this place. The management was very friendly. Very calming place to work at . Work was very fast pace. I would recomend this place. The co-workers was friendly as well.