Blockbuster Employee Reviews

Found 1,903 reviews matching the search
Great environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TX 78539November 2, 2016
This job was fun and i had an enjoyable time being part of a company that still prioritizes in renting movies because we live in an era where everything revolves around technology.
I loved my co workers and the customers that would go by to get a feel of nostalgia. i would assist customers in locating movies as well as cleaning movies that were damaged or scratched i would also work the cash register and count the box at the end of the night to ensure all daily earnings were there
Pros
I would rent movies and give feedback to customers on movies. great hours and great relationships
Cons
When hours were cut they were cut. i once worked 5 hours in one week and i had to resign
Gone, but not forgotten.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 26, 2016
This was my first real, taxable income job. I enjoyed it greatly. I started out at $6.50 an hour, which was about eighty cents more than the minimum at the time. I worked part-time, and loved working with the people over me. I wanted to work with the company since I was ten years old, and was elated to be given the chance when I graduated high school.

Naturally, the minimum wage went up, and I found myself loosing that eighty cent lead, and going up to $6.55, and a few months later, after being sent to multiple stores for the chance at hours, I was laid off.
Pros
Free rentals
Cons
Company went under
Better than Warren Theatres
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 29, 2016
I would come to work and pre-thread movies. This is before the digital age. I learned a lot of industry specific skills to do my job well. My managers were hit and miss. Some were awesome and some were horrible. Just luck of the draw.The hardest part was building movies, again this was before the digital age. I loved free movies, popcorn, drinks, screenings, and getting movie posters.
Pros
free movies, popcorn, drinks, screenings, and getting movie posters.
Cons
You never know what manager you will be working with
Fun and enjoyable
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLDecember 1, 2016
This company was one of the best i have ever worked for. I loved working there, every day was fun and we always kept busy. I loved getting free movie rentals and being able to see the movies before they even got out on the shelf for everyone else. Everyone who worked there had a great personality and loved helping people find movies and/or getting into discussions about the latest movies or games.Its a shame they went out of business
Pros
Free movie rentals, fun work enviroment
Cons
They went out of business
No Longer in Existence, But It Was A Fun Job
Customer Service Representative (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HINovember 21, 2016
Blockbuster was the first company I worked for and I was an employee for 5 years. The first few years were great because of the people I worked with and the fact that I got to talk about movies and video games all day - a personal passion of mine.
Pros
Free rentals, Ability to constantly talk about movies and games with customers
Cons
Managers only cared about your sale numbers, odd schedules or low hours
Used to be great.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 27, 2016
I started working part time but as i transfered cities walgreens dropped my hours. My manager just had an opening for management and offered it to me. Blockbuster was always a great place to work, even when Dish Network took over the future seemed pretty bright. Our store having a great staff seemed to be the last to close because we were a profitable store. But when dish lost thier cell phone contract we could no longer stay open.
Pros
Great working team, fun customers
Cons
Lunch during shift, company closure
Worked with great people, but worked with very difficult customers.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 3, 2016
This was meant to be a Summer position for me, but I ended up staying with the company for six years. However, I did not enjoy the way that the company was ran, corporately, I had the opportunity to work with some great people. Opportunities for advancement were far and few between, but all in all, I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Free rentals
Cons
limited advancement opportunities, frequent schedule changes
Nonproductive Workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 21, 2016
The company is out of business because it did not have vision.. It had an opportunity to do what Netflix is doing, but it turned it down. The management was not good, that is why it is no longer around!

I had commission with sales.

I was forced to talk to a person to get hours and not treated right overall!

There was not forethought in planning company. I saw some things that were "old school!" i believe that is one reason it is no longer in business! It was not a progressive company!
Pros
Meeting people to sale to was good!
Cons
Unethical things went on that were not good and an unhealthy background!
Was good but feel down hard.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shelby Township, MISeptember 6, 2016
My typical day working at blockbuster mainly consisted working on the weekends at night. I worked as a cashier, that mainly helped with the customers check out their movies, check in movies that have been returned, and put them back out on the shelf. I would walk around and see if anyone needed help finding anything or to rate certain movies or games, and also try and sell their rewards programs they offered. The management was okay for the fact we rotated every few years getting new management. Every switch they do we seemed to get people that did not want to work at all.
Great workplace!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 6, 2016
Had so much fun at my 2 stores. With the likes of Jessica Alba, Tom Cruise, Halle Berry, Nicolas Cage, Clint Eastwood, Hilary Swank, and so many others coming into my 2 stores to rent movies it was great! Always upbeat just a shame technology caught up to this business and there are no more to be found.
Pros
Meeting a wide variety of people and having new doors open because of it.
Cons
Not open long enough.
Fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Talladega, ALAugust 30, 2016
A typical work day for me while working for this company was just getting through the day, but I never complained since I really did enjoy my job with the company. Learned a great deal about movies and games. The managers I worked with were really cool, even the district manager. Hardest part of my job as store manager was closing my store for good. The most enjoyable part was learning about what sort of genres of movies my customers liked and their recommendations.
Would be awesome If I manage it myself.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln Park, MIAugust 15, 2016
Block Buster was amazing, it provided entertainment produced by the stars of the world. It provided online, in-store and digital cable products. Starting from movies to video-games, and even cartoons. It also carried snacks to accompany your over all experience of entertainment.
Pros
A fun way to work interacting with people who share common interest.
Cons
If managed poorly the overall experience is ruined!
very tedious work but fulfilling
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDNovember 21, 2016
My typical work day varies depending on what exactly is going on in society, but generally, it is filled with tasks throughout the day and requires constant observation and asset loss protection. I learned how to work with people of varying nationalities and cultures.
Pros
discounts, extensive overtime
If blockbuster was still around I would still be working there
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDSeptember 20, 2016
Blockbuster was just a great place to work, even though I had one store manager that was just horrid. Good news was that guy didn't last long and the new store manager was amazing. I'm super sad blockbuster went out of business
Pros
Amazing coworkers and management
Cons
Out of bussiness
Blockbuster movies
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJuly 27, 2016
A typical day would include many tasks, such as labeling and pricing, customer service, checking in items and stock replenishment as required. Putting up new Posters for the new movies.

Working at Blockbuster has taught me about the movie industry and how to critic movies in order to sell them.

The management staff was awesome as well as co/workers

The hardest part of my day was well there were none.

The most enjoyable part was previewing the new movies for the customers
Pros
watching the new releases before they hit the sales floor
Experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 15, 2016
Blockbuster I enjoyed working there because every employee was very helpful with customers and associates. I had the chance enhanced my management skill in different in different areas of the business. At one time I had the chance to manage 2 stores at one time it was hard but my time management skills were helpful.
Pros
Free Rentals per week
Cons
Blind Recieving product/ Stores Closing
My first retail job!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJNovember 10, 2016
I was 17 when I began working at blockbuster and I worked there for almost three years. Literally my favorite job I've ever had. Free movie rentals every Tuesday, 20% of purchases, and really chill work environment.
Pros
30 minute break, or two 15's, cool vibe, great for movie lovers
Cons
Really tough upsells, but doable
Good employees, horrible management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 22, 2016
Great people to work with, made good friends, horrible management and lack of empathy towards employees, most enjoyable was the people i worked with and really cool customers that came in that were my favorite people to work with, typical days were sort of busy in the evening and slow at night the most annoying part of the job is rude customers and parents/adults who don't pick up after their kids mess and people who just leave movies everywhere and dont put them back and also leaving isles a complete mess.
Pros
early access to movies.
Cons
rarely any breaks, bad management from store and company
Fun place to work.
CLIENT SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIJuly 20, 2016
Meeting and greeting clients. Suggesting movies, games, selling popcorn, candies, chips, etc.
I've learned cash handling, interacting with all different types of people.
I had great managers.
Fun co-workers.
The hardest part was standing and walking the floor for 6 to 8 hours a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was coming to work and seeing familiar faces and talking about movies and games they enjoyed.
Pros
Free movie rentals
Cons
Standing during your shift.
remember blockbuster?
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INNovember 22, 2016
The job that forced you to sell people stuff with no other compensation other than your hourly pay.

The benefits were 10 free rentals a week; you could even preview the movies before they went on the shelves.

It was a fun and sometimes stressful job. I miss Blockbuster.
Pros
movie rentals
Cons
no commision for sales