Blockbuster Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,832 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work.
CLIENT SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIJuly 20, 2016
Meeting and greeting clients. Suggesting movies, games, selling popcorn, candies, chips, etc.
I've learned cash handling, interacting with all different types of people.
I had great managers.
Fun co-workers.
The hardest part was standing and walking the floor for 6 to 8 hours a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was coming to work and seeing familiar faces and talking about movies and games they enjoyed.
Pros
Free movie rentals
Cons
Standing during your shift.
Good employees, horrible management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 22, 2016
Great people to work with, made good friends, horrible management and lack of empathy towards employees, most enjoyable was the people i worked with and really cool customers that came in that were my favorite people to work with, typical days were sort of busy in the evening and slow at night the most annoying part of the job is rude customers and parents/adults who don't pick up after their kids mess and people who just leave movies everywhere and dont put them back and also leaving isles a complete mess.
Pros
early access to movies.
Cons
rarely any breaks, bad management from store and company
Blockbuster movies
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJuly 27, 2016
A typical day would include many tasks, such as labeling and pricing, customer service, checking in items and stock replenishment as required. Putting up new Posters for the new movies.

Working at Blockbuster has taught me about the movie industry and how to critic movies in order to sell them.

The management staff was awesome as well as co/workers

The hardest part of my day was well there were none.

The most enjoyable part was previewing the new movies for the customers
Pros
watching the new releases before they hit the sales floor
Cons
This job was unduly stressful thanks to unreasonable expectations of upper management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 8, 2016
One was frequently forced to work alone all day handling unusual amount of tasks while assisting customers. Co-workers were generally good spirited, but some store managers were given to bullying on an almost personal scale. The hardest part of the job was selling non-company related items. Hours were often based on how many satellite subscriptions and candy was sold rather than the customer service in finding movies. Previews of new titles was best.
Pros
Nice co-workers and free rentals
Cons
Too much micro-managing and schedule cancellations
The tale end of a dying company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CAJune 6, 2016
At first, Blockbuster was very rewarding and I felt successful there as I was able to move up to shift lead, assistant manager, and eventually store manager fairly quickly. But as Blockbuster began to dwindle, so did many of the pleasures of work. Incentives for sales and performance were eliminated and thus made work very unrewarding.
To save money, all store managers, including myself, were given extremely minimal hours to divide among staff and many days were understaffed.
Pros
free movie rentals, discount on movies, room for growth and advancement.
Cons
understaffed, no rewards.
My previous job was a fun workplace, got free dvd to watch for employees only.
Customer Service /Sales (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJune 6, 2016
I enjoyed my job cause I was able to have fun interacting with customers, and selling and giving my manager a good impression of me made me feel good about myself. The hardest part of the job was when the line gets long and sometimes it would take a long time for some customers to take care of their transactions.
Pros
We get free movies to watch, and discounts on food and candies
Cons
it didn't well
Constantly changing, Engaging, and Challenging
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 21, 2016
Initially, the job was quite exciting working with movies and games and helping patrons find just the right ones for them. Changing business world with regards to technology ultimately led to reduction in rentals and sales and changes in management style.
Pros
Working with movies, games, and the public
Cons
Continual reduction in labor and available support with an increase in sales demand
fun entertaining work place movie kiosk provided
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 19, 2016
this was definitely a good place to work being so young and just entering the work force

it was cool to be able to take home free movies to to gain knowledge to give back feedback to the customers

the computer program used to cash people out was very easy to use .
Pros
free movies/ games/ discounted entertainment
Cons
lack of motivation from managment
Was a great place to work!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 14, 2016
Blockbuster was a great place to work during its peak growth. This job had several perks to include free rentals via VHS and DVD. The stores were usually relatively low maintenance and made for an easy nights work. Customers were pretty low risk unless they were late with a return.
Pros
Easy Position with little stress. Great pay during peak season
Cons
No more late fees promotion*
Fun place to work!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, OKApril 12, 2016
Fun, fun, fun! Required a great deal of commitment and hard work but I loved every minute of working for the company. Opportunity for advancement was always an option for anyone wanting more! Best job ever, but it took a toll on me once I started my own family. Managing any retail store is hard really, it requires your undivided attention much like a child and needs you to be there at the drop of a dime if needed too... Priceless experience!
Pros
Free rentals!
Cons
Public demand for entertainment
An amazing experience, right through to the end.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 12, 2016
Day sometimes start with opening and placement of promotional materials. From there, did everything from sweeping to customer account retention. Amazing and entertaining environent, and co-workers that would have considered friends, at the time. Was very sad to see it close down.
Pros
Co-workers, free rentals, early access to new media
Cons
Was not located in the best of neighborhoods, unruley customers, layout resets, shoplifters
Selling is not easy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAApril 5, 2016
Scan movies and try to sell and hit pre-sale and bundle goals
Ask every customer if they want to add candy or pre-buy a game/moive
I had one kind manager the rest were relentless with pushing sales and made work miserable
Great co-workers happy and helpful
Selling and hitting pre-sale and bundle goals
Interacting with customers
Pros
Free movie rentals and game rentals, easy work aside from selling
Cons
selling, management, hours, and pay
Fun workplace, easy learning curve.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAMay 26, 2016
A typical day would include running the cash register, constant customer interaction & keeping the store clean/organized.

I gained a lot of experience running a cash register, interacting with customers & pitching promotional offers.

The management at my store were great people, were very kind & helpful, plus did a great job of training me.

My co-workers were an extremely varied lot, all of whom were very friendly and helpful.

The hardest part of my job was when I had to work shifts alone, customer lines would pile up & I had to learn how to keep my stress in check & to concentrate on one customer interaction at a time.

The most enjoyable part of my job was that the work environment in general was fun, my store had great people to work with, plus the job had great perks such as free movie/video game rentals for employees.
fun job
Shift/Manger Leader (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJuly 18, 2016
Movie lover already so this job was excellent. Very fun environment. Enjoyed talking to customers and upselling movies off of the shelf. Was super easy to just walk up to a customer a recommend a movie. This job really worked on my selling ability. I would defiantly work for this company again if they were back in business.
Pros
free rentals
fun and got good experience in retail management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 16, 2016
I learned how to do inventory and locating shrink. I started as a cashier and worked my way to a Supervisor. I enjoyed the customer interaction. At first I wasn't so good in up-sale but I worked at it and became really good. I got a long with all my co-workers.
Pros
customers
Cons
hours and company closed
Archaic and nostalgic.
Dish Sales Manager/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMarch 8, 2016
Working at Blockbuster, at times, can be difficult. Due to the decline of the company, the computer systems were outdated and archaic. However, the company taught me the necessary tools to interact with people in a retail environment. Blockbuster shifts were often long hours but somewhat slow. Overall, Blockbuster was enjoyable and nostalgic.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, decent wage, and movie trivia knowledge.
Cons
Slow shifts, and outdated computer software.
step into the past of video renting
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 2, 2016
Saw people from difference states everyday who were surprised we were still around. Learned about new movies and old through customers and watching them myself. Although it was stressful at times, working there was something of a lifetime experience that you can no longer find.
Pros
10 free rentals per week, 15% off merchandise
Cons
not enough people to cover shifts if needed, short handed
Fun til the end came
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 18, 2016
started working in 2007 fun goal oriented atmosphere, until 2009 the end was coming the fun packed its stuff and went, leaving employees to be bullied into producing sales.
Pros
Free Movie rentals, Preview new movies before public can see
Cons
Impossible selling expectations
fun workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mexico CityApril 26, 2016
The typical day at work was to order the movies, cash register, cleaning, call for rent due dates, and offer the membership cards to clients.

There is a lot of competence among co-workers trying to obtain the bonus each month

The work is really tiring because you cant sit.
Pros
can't sit, low salary
Cons
free rentals
The company didn't adapt
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Southeastern, PAJune 25, 2016
I loved and enjoyed this job but it did not adapt to the changing technology and closed down across the country. The company did a good a job of making sure you had the right product knowledge.
Pros
The people that I still call friends today
Cons
Short sighted