Blockbuster Employee Reviews

Found 1,948 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work if you are a movie buff like myself
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 24, 2017
Checking out customers and stocking shelves

How to use a difficult P.O.S system and adding new accounts

Management was friendly and always willing to get the work done.

Very fun workplace environment and very helpful.

Hardest part was being there until 1am and having to be at school at 8am the next day.

Most enjoyable part was that i had a vast knowledge of movies and could direct someone to a movie they were looking for everyday.
Always busy but in a good way.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 16, 2017
My day consisted of accepting returns first then moving on to filling the impulse area. Once done I would move on to fixing/aligning movies and video games on shelves. I would then start cashiering where I would take payments in the form of cash or credit/debit cards. Coworkers were friendly and very easy to get along with. The hardest part would have been the amount of customers on busy days as it would lead to shortages of movies or games that customers would be looking for. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we would get to spend downtime by watching movies.
Pros
Great environment.
Cons
Sometimes not enough items were ordered leading to angry customers.
Boring, for the most part.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah, PAJanuary 26, 2017
I'm sure back in the 90s and early 2000s this would have been a much better place to work. I landed my position as the company was on the brink of bankruptcy due to "renting" DVDs becoming less and less of a "thing". So needless to say it was boring to work there. Hardly any customers. Plus they were extremely adamant on "suggestive selling". Everyone has to meet daily quotas and... Eh. Just wasn't enjoyable.
Pros
Free rentals
Cons
Boring
A great and fun place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 29, 2016
As a Blockbuster Supervisor for 7 yrs, I felt very challenged and excited to work for this company, it was a very fast pace job, I had to keep a balance between my employees, my projects, keeping the store looking nice and neat, making sure all the movies were checked in on time, and maintaining the best customer satisfaction service possible. My co-workers were great, always working as a team. It was not a hard job, it was just very challenging in the sense that they're were many tasks to cover. The most enjoyable part of this job I felt they were my customers and the service I provided to them, and to make sure they left the store happy.
Pros
we had insentives, for example; seven free movies per week.
Cons
it cold get overwhelming at times.
Great face pace work enviroment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 14, 2016
Working at blockbuster was very enjoyable. It is a diverse work environment. You get to meet people from all types of backgrounds with different entertainment needs. The hardest part of the job was knowing all the product off the top of your head, from games to different genres of movies. The most enjoyable part was getting to rent movies and games then talking about your reviews with customers to assist them in making a great choice.
Pros
great incentives
Cons
opened 365 days a year
Worked with great people, but worked with very difficult customers.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 3, 2016
This was meant to be a Summer position for me, but I ended up staying with the company for six years. However, I did not enjoy the way that the company was ran, corporately, I had the opportunity to work with some great people. Opportunities for advancement were far and few between, but all in all, I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Free rentals
Cons
limited advancement opportunities, frequent schedule changes
Fun and enjoyable
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLDecember 1, 2016
This company was one of the best i have ever worked for. I loved working there, every day was fun and we always kept busy. I loved getting free movie rentals and being able to see the movies before they even got out on the shelf for everyone else. Everyone who worked there had a great personality and loved helping people find movies and/or getting into discussions about the latest movies or games.Its a shame they went out of business
Pros
Free movie rentals, fun work enviroment
Cons
They went out of business
Better than Warren Theatres
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 29, 2016
I would come to work and pre-thread movies. This is before the digital age. I learned a lot of industry specific skills to do my job well. My managers were hit and miss. Some were awesome and some were horrible. Just luck of the draw.The hardest part was building movies, again this was before the digital age. I loved free movies, popcorn, drinks, screenings, and getting movie posters.
Pros
free movies, popcorn, drinks, screenings, and getting movie posters.
Cons
You never know what manager you will be working with
Gone, but not forgotten.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 26, 2016
This was my first real, taxable income job. I enjoyed it greatly. I started out at $6.50 an hour, which was about eighty cents more than the minimum at the time. I worked part-time, and loved working with the people over me. I wanted to work with the company since I was ten years old, and was elated to be given the chance when I graduated high school.

Naturally, the minimum wage went up, and I found myself loosing that eighty cent lead, and going up to $6.55, and a few months later, after being sent to multiple stores for the chance at hours, I was laid off.
Pros
Free rentals
Cons
Company went under
No Longer in Existence, But It Was A Fun Job
Customer Service Representative (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HINovember 21, 2016
Blockbuster was the first company I worked for and I was an employee for 5 years. The first few years were great because of the people I worked with and the fact that I got to talk about movies and video games all day - a personal passion of mine.
Pros
Free rentals, Ability to constantly talk about movies and games with customers
Cons
Managers only cared about your sale numbers, odd schedules or low hours

Want to know more about Blockbuster?

Ask a question
Fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CAFebruary 14, 2017
* A typical day at work was cooking meals throughout the day
* What I learned at work was something new everyday
* Management was awesome I was the manager
* Workplace culture was multi
* The hardest part of the job was making sure all orders were input
correctly.
* The most enjoyable part of the job was putting movies to play in
the store
Pros
Free movie rentals
Cons
no benefits
'Gives you a love of movies and customer service.'
Assist Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 25, 2017
The bond you create with customers is amazing, this area of work gave me confidence, super outgoing now, great salary, comfortable workplace.

The only challenging thing for myself was preparing myself to be able to perform my task as Assistant Store Manager perfectly.
It is sad that Blockbuster closed down.
Great environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TX 78539November 2, 2016
This job was fun and i had an enjoyable time being part of a company that still prioritizes in renting movies because we live in an era where everything revolves around technology.
I loved my co workers and the customers that would go by to get a feel of nostalgia. i would assist customers in locating movies as well as cleaning movies that were damaged or scratched i would also work the cash register and count the box at the end of the night to ensure all daily earnings were there
Pros
I would rent movies and give feedback to customers on movies. great hours and great relationships
Cons
When hours were cut they were cut. i once worked 5 hours in one week and i had to resign
Used to be great.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 27, 2016
I started working part time but as i transfered cities walgreens dropped my hours. My manager just had an opening for management and offered it to me. Blockbuster was always a great place to work, even when Dish Network took over the future seemed pretty bright. Our store having a great staff seemed to be the last to close because we were a profitable store. But when dish lost thier cell phone contract we could no longer stay open.
Pros
Great working team, fun customers
Cons
Lunch during shift, company closure
No longer in business
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 25, 2017
A good starter job for a teenager getting used to working. They promoted from within if possible. You got five free movie rentals every week including titles about to come out. The mandatory inventories in the middle of the night were fun.
Pros
Good starter job, different schedules, free movies
Cons
Open every day of the year
Nonproductive Workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 21, 2016
The company is out of business because it did not have vision.. It had an opportunity to do what Netflix is doing, but it turned it down. The management was not good, that is why it is no longer around!

I had commission with sales.

I was forced to talk to a person to get hours and not treated right overall!

There was not forethought in planning company. I saw some things that were "old school!" i believe that is one reason it is no longer in business! It was not a progressive company!
Pros
Meeting people to sale to was good!
Cons
Unethical things went on that were not good and an unhealthy background!
Was a great place to work before closing down the stores.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, IL and Denver, CoDecember 15, 2016
The environment was always fun and friendly; co-workers were always helpful and caring. Even employees who graduated with their bachelors degree, still worked at Blockbuster part time. It was addictive and you wanted to go to work. You were expected to put in an 100% and you wanted too. I worked in five different stores and two states until the end. My daughter even worked for Blockbuster. It was super depressing when it closed. This company had the greatest manager I have ever met! She was very strict on certain rules, but fair too, you were allowed to explain your side if odd situations came up. She made you feel important and in return I wanted to give a 100% back.
Pros
Fun environment and lots of free movies, with pre-released movies too.
Cons
The corporate takeover by the satellite company shut down all the stores.
very tedious work but fulfilling
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDNovember 21, 2016
My typical work day varies depending on what exactly is going on in society, but generally, it is filled with tasks throughout the day and requires constant observation and asset loss protection. I learned how to work with people of varying nationalities and cultures.
Pros
discounts, extensive overtime
Most fun I've had at a customer service job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80209January 11, 2017
Not too strict, get your work done and no one bothers you. Too bad they went out of business it was a fun if low paying job. Got free rentals as an employee, which was pretty cool.
Pros
Easy going environment, entertaining product.
Cons
Company doesn't exist anymore.
Great workplace!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 6, 2016
Had so much fun at my 2 stores. With the likes of Jessica Alba, Tom Cruise, Halle Berry, Nicolas Cage, Clint Eastwood, Hilary Swank, and so many others coming into my 2 stores to rent movies it was great! Always upbeat just a shame technology caught up to this business and there are no more to be found.
Pros
Meeting a wide variety of people and having new doors open because of it.
Cons
Not open long enough.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blockbuster. Our community is ready to answer.