Blockbuster Employee Reviews

Found 1,930 reviews matching the search
Fun workplace, easy learning curve.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAMay 26, 2016
A typical day would include running the cash register, constant customer interaction & keeping the store clean/organized.

I gained a lot of experience running a cash register, interacting with customers & pitching promotional offers.

The management at my store were great people, were very kind & helpful, plus did a great job of training me.

My co-workers were an extremely varied lot, all of whom were very friendly and helpful.

The hardest part of my job was when I had to work shifts alone, customer lines would pile up & I had to learn how to keep my stress in check & to concentrate on one customer interaction at a time.

The most enjoyable part of my job was that the work environment in general was fun, my store had great people to work with, plus the job had great perks such as free movie/video game rentals for employees.
Review
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Martinez, GADecember 22, 2016
The movie busy was wonderful, you met so many different people. Some families you got know and watched the children grow up. There was no work/life balance. The pay was not great.
Pros
Management Experience
Cons
Hours and pay
bad location
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 7, 2017
long hours and bad location for video store. there was way too much theft and nothing done by upper management to do anything about it. always understaffed, could not keep employees
Worked with great people, but worked with very difficult customers.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 3, 2016
This was meant to be a Summer position for me, but I ended up staying with the company for six years. However, I did not enjoy the way that the company was ran, corporately, I had the opportunity to work with some great people. Opportunities for advancement were far and few between, but all in all, I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Free rentals
Cons
limited advancement opportunities, frequent schedule changes
Nonproductive Workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 21, 2016
The company is out of business because it did not have vision.. It had an opportunity to do what Netflix is doing, but it turned it down. The management was not good, that is why it is no longer around!

I had commission with sales.

I was forced to talk to a person to get hours and not treated right overall!

There was not forethought in planning company. I saw some things that were "old school!" i believe that is one reason it is no longer in business! It was not a progressive company!
Pros
Meeting people to sale to was good!
Cons
Unethical things went on that were not good and an unhealthy background!
Was great while it lasted.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYSeptember 10, 2016
Everyone remembers Blockbuster! The location I worked at was filled with mostly happy customers and friendly workers. There wasn't much advance movement beyond becoming a shift manager for most, but the environment was usually a fun one. Unlike many retail jobs, Blockbuster was a place where workers interacted with customers with often common interests in entertainment, which helped make it easier to provide good service. Retail is generally thought of as frustrating because of constant minor complaints and low pay. Blockbuster included some of that, but the people I worked with handled such incidents with grace and fairness. As a former employee, I have fond memories. I know the business side was not dealt with as well as it could be, since the company no longer exists, but it was a good place to work for a decade of my life and I will always miss it.
Pros
Movies, friendly people, usually steady shifts
Cons
Low pay, retail trappings, limited advancement
Used to be great.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 27, 2016
I started working part time but as i transfered cities walgreens dropped my hours. My manager just had an opening for management and offered it to me. Blockbuster was always a great place to work, even when Dish Network took over the future seemed pretty bright. Our store having a great staff seemed to be the last to close because we were a profitable store. But when dish lost thier cell phone contract we could no longer stay open.
Pros
Great working team, fun customers
Cons
Lunch during shift, company closure
Was good but feel down hard.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shelby Township, MISeptember 6, 2016
My typical day working at blockbuster mainly consisted working on the weekends at night. I worked as a cashier, that mainly helped with the customers check out their movies, check in movies that have been returned, and put them back out on the shelf. I would walk around and see if anyone needed help finding anything or to rate certain movies or games, and also try and sell their rewards programs they offered. The management was okay for the fact we rotated every few years getting new management. Every switch they do we seemed to get people that did not want to work at all.
Fun job, sad they're not around
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXAugust 7, 2016
Incredibly fun atmosphere, with free movie and game rentals every week, free slushies and sodas, and an upbeat customer base. Unfortunately there was no room for growth in the company, nor was there any possibility of a raise.
Good employees, horrible management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 22, 2016
Great people to work with, made good friends, horrible management and lack of empathy towards employees, most enjoyable was the people i worked with and really cool customers that came in that were my favorite people to work with, typical days were sort of busy in the evening and slow at night the most annoying part of the job is rude customers and parents/adults who don't pick up after their kids mess and people who just leave movies everywhere and dont put them back and also leaving isles a complete mess.
Pros
early access to movies.
Cons
rarely any breaks, bad management from store and company
very tedious work but fulfilling
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDNovember 21, 2016
My typical work day varies depending on what exactly is going on in society, but generally, it is filled with tasks throughout the day and requires constant observation and asset loss protection. I learned how to work with people of varying nationalities and cultures.
Pros
discounts, extensive overtime
The state of Blockbuster towards the end of the companies run taught me to how to handle the struggles of retail at their most extreme.
District Training Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 17, 2016
The thing a loved most about Blockbuster Video was the loyalty from customers and associates. I was hired in 2002 just after the Viacom split and things were great. I received excellent education and training to move into my store manager position. The company rewarded its employee with parties, bonuses, and trips out of state for meetings. 4 years later and on it changed, I enjoyed the independence of being a store manager. I was able to hire my own people to build support and develop, however upper management was inconsistent and overworked. There were rarely bonuses, contests, parties and prizes needed to be managed at the store level with no company support. The loyalty of customers meant your traffic did not decrease however, you worked alone in a store for 5+ hours. Challenged of closing store announcements and fear of job security were a constant in the last 3 years. All this gave me experience in managing and motivating people in a constantly changing and desperate environment.
Blockbuster movies
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJuly 27, 2016
A typical day would include many tasks, such as labeling and pricing, customer service, checking in items and stock replenishment as required. Putting up new Posters for the new movies.

Working at Blockbuster has taught me about the movie industry and how to critic movies in order to sell them.

The management staff was awesome as well as co/workers

The hardest part of my day was well there were none.

The most enjoyable part was previewing the new movies for the customers
Pros
watching the new releases before they hit the sales floor
Cons
Fine business in a very competitive environment.
Senior Manager - Store Operations (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 5, 2016
Fine business in a very competitive environment. Management was fine to work for and were fair in all aspects of work life.
remember blockbuster?
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INNovember 22, 2016
The job that forced you to sell people stuff with no other compensation other than your hourly pay.

The benefits were 10 free rentals a week; you could even preview the movies before they went on the shelves.

It was a fun and sometimes stressful job. I miss Blockbuster.
Pros
movie rentals
Cons
no commision for sales
Was a great place to work before closing down the stores.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, IL and Denver, CoDecember 15, 2016
The environment was always fun and friendly; co-workers were always helpful and caring. Even employees who graduated with their bachelors degree, still worked at Blockbuster part time. It was addictive and you wanted to go to work. You were expected to put in an 100% and you wanted too. I worked in five different stores and two states until the end. My daughter even worked for Blockbuster. It was super depressing when it closed. This company had the greatest manager I have ever met! She was very strict on certain rules, but fair too, you were allowed to explain your side if odd situations came up. She made you feel important and in return I wanted to give a 100% back.
Pros
Fun environment and lots of free movies, with pre-released movies too.
Cons
The corporate takeover by the satellite company shut down all the stores.
A great and fun place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 29, 2016
As a Blockbuster Supervisor for 7 yrs, I felt very challenged and excited to work for this company, it was a very fast pace job, I had to keep a balance between my employees, my projects, keeping the store looking nice and neat, making sure all the movies were checked in on time, and maintaining the best customer satisfaction service possible. My co-workers were great, always working as a team. It was not a hard job, it was just very challenging in the sense that they're were many tasks to cover. The most enjoyable part of this job I felt they were my customers and the service I provided to them, and to make sure they left the store happy.
Pros
we had insentives, for example; seven free movies per week.
Cons
it cold get overwhelming at times.
Always busy but in a good way.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 16, 2017
My day consisted of accepting returns first then moving on to filling the impulse area. Once done I would move on to fixing/aligning movies and video games on shelves. I would then start cashiering where I would take payments in the form of cash or credit/debit cards. Coworkers were friendly and very easy to get along with. The hardest part would have been the amount of customers on busy days as it would lead to shortages of movies or games that customers would be looking for. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we would get to spend downtime by watching movies.
Pros
Great environment.
Cons
Sometimes not enough items were ordered leading to angry customers.
pay was pretty good but was a stressful place to work
HR Associate/Unemployment Services (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCFebruary 17, 2016
opened emails and prioritized, checked for incoming documents necessary to process my claims, made sure all documentation and information was scanned and emailed to state.
I learned and gained a lot of experience and knowledge on providing back up documentation on unemployment claims.

Management and co workers had their own duties in the work place, so not a lot of socializing.

The hardest part of the job was sometimes meeting the daily deadlines when the majority of claims were sometimes 50 claims due by 3:00pm. The rushing to get these out on time could very stressful.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I saved the company thousands in tax dollars each year.
Pros
lunches provided on certain occasions, bonuses, and gifts at parties
Cons
advancement, job security
If blockbuster was still around I would still be working there
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDSeptember 20, 2016
Blockbuster was just a great place to work, even though I had one store manager that was just horrid. Good news was that guy didn't last long and the new store manager was amazing. I'm super sad blockbuster went out of business
Pros
Amazing coworkers and management
Cons
Out of bussiness

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blockbuster. Our community is ready to answer.