Blockbuster
1,614 reviews

Blockbuster United States Employee Reviews

Great to Work at If they Still Existed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Glendora, CAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Free movie and game rentals
Cons: Doesn't exist anymore
The perks of free movie and game rentals were sweet while they lasted. Unfortunately,the business shut down. Goodbye Blockbuster! BBFL!
Technology is ancient
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNApril 23, 2015
Pros: Free Rentals
Cons: Always alone on weekdays
Weekdays the manager is working alone.
Computers are a bunch of dinosaurs, takes forever to get tasks done and require the user to do most of the computer's work.
Hardest part was being alone and trying to run to the bathroom before anyone else comes in... and someone always comes in...
Another hard part is trying to sell Dish Network to the customers, each employee gets 6 weeks to sell 1 dish subscription or they get fired, after the sale happens your 6 weeks reset and you are racing against the time again.
Most enjoyable part was the easy-going day and free movie/game rentals.
Fun place to work with a great staff
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburg, KSApril 16, 2015
Pros: Free movie rentals
Cons: none
Blockbuster was an extremely fun job with great people. The management was excellent. The pay wasn't the best, but it was made up for in the job culture.
Providing great customer service and staff management
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Loveland, COApril 14, 2015
A great job where I advanced quickly with a company that was unfortunately going under. Great environment and I was able to take away a lot of skills from my learning.
Fun, Fast paced retail environment.
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee), Patterson, CAApril 14, 2015
The operation of an advanced point of sales system helped me keep track of rentals and fees. I helped take massive inventories of the store at a fast pace and helped maintain the stores organized and professional look. The hardest part of the job was promoting our rewards club, and getting guests to join. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with media that everyone could relate to, and of course with the customers.
Goal was to be the leading entertainment provider of movies and games.
Manager - Store & Retail Operations (Former Employee), Waukesha, WisconsinApril 14, 2015
As Store Manager it was my responsibility to my team in the execution of sound operational practices while providing outstanding customer service and satisfaction.
Video market was dimensioning stores were not profitable
Store Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, MSApril 13, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Not able to evolve with the format change of the market
Blockbuster was a great company to work for. After the decline in video rentals, stores began to loose profit along with market share. Stores closed at a dramatic rate.
horrible company
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 10, 2015
I stuck here a long time, partially because it was all I knew, but because it was a fun job. Once I left there I went back to school and fell in love with the legal profession.
fun
Shift lead manager (Former Employee), columbus ohApril 9, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: money
help customer find and buy rent movies and games. sales of product and services. I learned the right way to give good customer service. management team was really good at development. the hardest part of the job was defusing
Enjoyed my team members
Store Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 6, 2015
Company closed it's doors after failure to see what the future held. Everyone wanted to be the millionaire but no one wanted to see the other end of the spectrum.
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIApril 3, 2015
It was a fun place to work. The hours were long, but it never felt like that. I enjoyed my time there but unfortunately they did close. So I had to move on.
freshly out of high school, newly married with children
Manger (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 2, 2015
Pros: knowledge of foreign and domestic cars, muscle car buff
Cons: dirty job but someone has to do it
I greeted customers with the utmost confidence and understanding of their situations in order to provide them with the most knowledgable advice that I had to give considering their compromising situation, gave out financial quotes based on service book assessments evaluates of repair and replacement efforts of the mechanics on staff, delved and reviewed financial statements to the penny even if having to stay the night to find the penny, national known company, confident in my assessments brought in more work than we could handle...
Customer Service
Cashier (Former Employee), Chino hillsMarch 31, 2015
A typical day consist of restocking dvds, assist customers, and cash register. The Supervisor was unorganized and the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers.
Free rentals.
Store Manger (Former Employee), S.Orange NJ,Metuchen, NJ Avenel, NJ Perth Amboy NJMarch 30, 2015
Until the company made a major mis-step and showed Reed Hastings the door when he came courting w/ his home rental (NetFlix) vision, we were 4500-stores strong, with a bright outlook. By the time the CEO realized his blunder, the culture change in how people received their home entertainment, had crippled us. We tried to play catch-up, but were woefully behind,and considered 'yesterday's news' by our former clientele. My last store closed, and sadly, I turned over the keys.
Like employees everone working as a team
Supervisor (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAMarch 29, 2015
Like the satisfaction of consumers when they get there movies are when they come in the store to rent a movie. Working with co workers as a team.
Awesome starter job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Canton, OHMarch 29, 2015
Working here was the best first out of high school job. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the benefits of having first dibs on rental movies as they first came out. I met some really great people working here and tell everyone that a video store is a great first job for anyone.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Manager (Former Employee), Branford, CTMarch 28, 2015
Pros: 5 free rentals a week, and store discount
Cons: Pay wasn't too great.
I enjoyed the fact that we would get to see the movies before they were out on the floor. I learned how to be a manager while working there. My co-workers were always fun to work with, we always had a great time together. The hardest part of the job was probably trying to sell a new product almost every week.
Movies!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Free movie and game rentals, Employee discounts, Tuition reimbursement.
Cons: Searching for titles for new employees was a difficult
A typical day was spent organizing movie titles and changing sales within the store. However, learning the different tastes of movie goers was interesting. I was to learn and appreciate all genres and locate movie titles with little descriptions given from our costumers. The experience gained while working is something I still use, especially during my film critic course. Understanding when and how movies were released for movie goers allowed me to develop a deeper connection to our members. Management was always willing to listen to new ideas and the co-workers where as varied as the movies. The hardest part of the job was locating a movie without the actual title, but after researching and watching the titles every week it became easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was the costumers and the benefits that came along with employment.
Great for ppl just entering workforce.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Pole, AlaskaMarch 25, 2015
This was a great first job. I learned to deal and interact with customers, while I also enjoyed the content of my work. Would say apply if you have interest. Good job.
Got to rent free videos.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Stafford, VAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Free Movies
Cons: 10 hour shifts
I worked for the best bosses I guy could ask for, I met my fiacee there, and still hang out with friends from there 20 years ago. Best working experience of my life.

1 2 3 4 5