Blockbuster Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,816 reviews matching the search
The company didn't adapt
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Southeastern, PAJune 25, 2016
I loved and enjoyed this job but it did not adapt to the changing technology and closed down across the country. The company did a good a job of making sure you had the right product knowledge.
Pros
The people that I still call friends today
Cons
Short sighted
Fun
Shift Supervisor, Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Parma, OH 44134June 24, 2016
Interacted with many people.Learned and acquired new skills during my time there. Management was great as well. Unfortunate that the store closed along with the rest of the company.
fun work place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYJune 24, 2016
the benefits were well worth working there
my management was very supportive and helpful
large chose of services and easy to move up in the company
Constantly changing, Engaging, and Challenging
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 21, 2016
Initially, the job was quite exciting working with movies and games and helping patrons find just the right ones for them. Changing business world with regards to technology ultimately led to reduction in rentals and sales and changes in management style.
Pros
Working with movies, games, and the public
Cons
Continual reduction in labor and available support with an increase in sales demand
a great starter job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAJune 16, 2016
a young environment job made it fun. was trained right away for management and placed fast. Training was fun and always learning something new. Had the privilege to watch any movies for free.
Pros
always meet someone new
Cons
just a starter job not a future
Was a great place to work!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 14, 2016
Blockbuster was a great place to work during its peak growth. This job had several perks to include free rentals via VHS and DVD. The stores were usually relatively low maintenance and made for an easy nights work. Customers were pretty low risk unless they were late with a return.
Pros
Easy Position with little stress. Great pay during peak season
Cons
No more late fees promotion*
customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIJune 12, 2016
Target has good merchandise that may need to reduce some of there prices. I so not have any more to include about this position.
Pros
some better quality
Cons
need better compensation
Fun workplace
SHIFT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bastrop, TXJune 10, 2016
Typical day was coming in and doing a daily customer call to announce any new promotions to our vip customers or just a friendly customer curtesy call.
Pros
being able to take any new releases home to preview
Cons
no breaks
This job was unduly stressful thanks to unreasonable expectations of upper management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 8, 2016
One was frequently forced to work alone all day handling unusual amount of tasks while assisting customers. Co-workers were generally good spirited, but some store managers were given to bullying on an almost personal scale. The hardest part of the job was selling non-company related items. Hours were often based on how many satellite subscriptions and candy was sold rather than the customer service in finding movies. Previews of new titles was best.
Pros
Nice co-workers and free rentals
Cons
Too much micro-managing and schedule cancellations
Friendly First Job Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West New York, NJJune 7, 2016
- Very friendly management; very welcoming for my first real job

- Taught me the beginning responsibilities of having any job
The tale end of a dying company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CAJune 6, 2016
At first, Blockbuster was very rewarding and I felt successful there as I was able to move up to shift lead, assistant manager, and eventually store manager fairly quickly. But as Blockbuster began to dwindle, so did many of the pleasures of work. Incentives for sales and performance were eliminated and thus made work very unrewarding.
To save money, all store managers, including myself, were given extremely minimal hours to divide among staff and many days were understaffed.
Pros
free movie rentals, discount on movies, room for growth and advancement.
Cons
understaffed, no rewards.
My previous job was a fun workplace, got free dvd to watch for employees only.
Customer Service /Sales (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJune 6, 2016
I enjoyed my job cause I was able to have fun interacting with customers, and selling and giving my manager a good impression of me made me feel good about myself. The hardest part of the job was when the line gets long and sometimes it would take a long time for some customers to take care of their transactions.
Pros
We get free movies to watch, and discounts on food and candies
Cons
it didn't well
Blockbuster
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Desert Hot Springs, CAMay 31, 2016
Best job ever! I had an excellent boss that guided me well. I eventually became assistant store manager and was headed to having my own store but they closed after a while.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, staff, management
Cons
Low Pay
Co-workers
Salesperson CSR (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMay 31, 2016
Working here right before they all closed down was a wonderful experience. The group of people that surround this company was a true family. Couldn't have asked for much more.
great place to work
Computer checker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 29, 2016
great boss and workers. Would highly recommend this job to anyone. Would deffiately go back to work for this employer. The hours and work we done was amazingly easy and learned a lot from it.
Pros
loved working with the workers
Cons
no cons to add
Fun workplace, easy learning curve.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAMay 26, 2016
A typical day would include running the cash register, constant customer interaction & keeping the store clean/organized.

I gained a lot of experience running a cash register, interacting with customers & pitching promotional offers.

The management at my store were great people, were very kind & helpful, plus did a great job of training me.

My co-workers were an extremely varied lot, all of whom were very friendly and helpful.

The hardest part of my job was when I had to work shifts alone, customer lines would pile up & I had to learn how to keep my stress in check & to concentrate on one customer interaction at a time.

The most enjoyable part of my job was that the work environment in general was fun, my store had great people to work with, plus the job had great perks such as free movie/video game rentals for employees.
no longer in busines
District Manager (Former Employee) –  OregonMay 18, 2016
na went out of business. made bad decisions.
was a great company at one point, but took on a debt that could not be repaid and was bought out by Dish network.
Fun videos
Customer Sevice Representative (Former Employee) –  Asheboro, NCMay 10, 2016
Getting to watch tv while you work? Heck yes and get payed to play video games. Such a fun job but doesn't pay that well. Also they made me clock out for a 30 minutebreak if you work over 4 hours..
Fine business in a very competitive environment.
Senior Manager - Store Operations (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 5, 2016
Fine business in a very competitive environment. Management was fine to work for and were fair in all aspects of work life.
very productive work area
Cashier (Former Employee) –  YazooMay 4, 2016
love working at this place. I got to meet new people and see great movies. my manager was awesome and I learned so much from them.
Pros
watch movies before the were released