Blockbuster Employee Reviews

Found 1,948 reviews matching the search
Fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CAFebruary 14, 2017
* A typical day at work was cooking meals throughout the day
* What I learned at work was something new everyday
* Management was awesome I was the manager
* Workplace culture was multi
* The hardest part of the job was making sure all orders were input
correctly.
* The most enjoyable part of the job was putting movies to play in
the store
Pros
Free movie rentals
Cons
no benefits
'Gives you a love of movies and customer service.'
Assist Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 25, 2017
The bond you create with customers is amazing, this area of work gave me confidence, super outgoing now, great salary, comfortable workplace.

The only challenging thing for myself was preparing myself to be able to perform my task as Assistant Store Manager perfectly.
It is sad that Blockbuster closed down.
remember blockbuster?
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INNovember 22, 2016
The job that forced you to sell people stuff with no other compensation other than your hourly pay.

The benefits were 10 free rentals a week; you could even preview the movies before they went on the shelves.

It was a fun and sometimes stressful job. I miss Blockbuster.
Pros
movie rentals
Cons
no commision for sales
Productive and fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Altus, OKJanuary 17, 2017
Great video store, fun atmosphere, awesome customer interaction. Able to discuss my favorite movies, offer suggestions. Helped members with purchases and gift ideas.
Pros
Fun, fast paced, great benifits.
Cons
Short breaks, small workforce.
Fun and productive work place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJanuary 2, 2017
Blockbuster was hands down the best job anyone could have. Great pay, great hours, and the work environment was never stressful. Benefits were also great.
Pros
Free movie rentals
Benefits
Low stress environment.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WINovember 14, 2016
Interacting with the public was the most rewarding part of the job. Renting videos allow people to briefly escape their life and provides entertainment at a reasonable price.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Poor benefits.
Great while it lasted
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 28, 2016
Had fun while I was there. Too bad the company didn't survive. Good benefits and free movies. Didn't keep up with the times
Fun job, sad they're not around
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXAugust 7, 2016
Incredibly fun atmosphere, with free movie and game rentals every week, free slushies and sodas, and an upbeat customer base. Unfortunately there was no room for growth in the company, nor was there any possibility of a raise.
fun work place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYJune 24, 2016
the benefits were well worth working there
my management was very supportive and helpful
large chose of services and easy to move up in the company
Assistant Manager
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEJuly 18, 2016
Blockbuster was an awesome job. I loved working there
They treat their employs great and they cared about their customers. They had great benefits as well!!!
Worked with great people, but worked with very difficult customers.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 3, 2016
This was meant to be a Summer position for me, but I ended up staying with the company for six years. However, I did not enjoy the way that the company was ran, corporately, I had the opportunity to work with some great people. Opportunities for advancement were far and few between, but all in all, I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Free rentals
Cons
limited advancement opportunities, frequent schedule changes
Review
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Martinez, GADecember 22, 2016
The movie busy was wonderful, you met so many different people. Some families you got know and watched the children grow up. There was no work/life balance. The pay was not great.
Pros
Management Experience
Cons
Hours and pay
Fun place to work if you are a movie buff like myself
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 24, 2017
Checking out customers and stocking shelves

How to use a difficult P.O.S system and adding new accounts

Management was friendly and always willing to get the work done.

Very fun workplace environment and very helpful.

Hardest part was being there until 1am and having to be at school at 8am the next day.

Most enjoyable part was that i had a vast knowledge of movies and could direct someone to a movie they were looking for everyday.
Nonproductive Workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 21, 2016
The company is out of business because it did not have vision.. It had an opportunity to do what Netflix is doing, but it turned it down. The management was not good, that is why it is no longer around!

I had commission with sales.

I was forced to talk to a person to get hours and not treated right overall!

There was not forethought in planning company. I saw some things that were "old school!" i believe that is one reason it is no longer in business! It was not a progressive company!
Pros
Meeting people to sale to was good!
Cons
Unethical things went on that were not good and an unhealthy background!
bad location
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 7, 2017
long hours and bad location for video store. there was way too much theft and nothing done by upper management to do anything about it. always understaffed, could not keep employees
Was a great place to work before closing down the stores.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, IL and Denver, CoDecember 15, 2016
The environment was always fun and friendly; co-workers were always helpful and caring. Even employees who graduated with their bachelors degree, still worked at Blockbuster part time. It was addictive and you wanted to go to work. You were expected to put in an 100% and you wanted too. I worked in five different stores and two states until the end. My daughter even worked for Blockbuster. It was super depressing when it closed. This company had the greatest manager I have ever met! She was very strict on certain rules, but fair too, you were allowed to explain your side if odd situations came up. She made you feel important and in return I wanted to give a 100% back.
Pros
Fun environment and lots of free movies, with pre-released movies too.
Cons
The corporate takeover by the satellite company shut down all the stores.
A great and fun place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 29, 2016
As a Blockbuster Supervisor for 7 yrs, I felt very challenged and excited to work for this company, it was a very fast pace job, I had to keep a balance between my employees, my projects, keeping the store looking nice and neat, making sure all the movies were checked in on time, and maintaining the best customer satisfaction service possible. My co-workers were great, always working as a team. It was not a hard job, it was just very challenging in the sense that they're were many tasks to cover. The most enjoyable part of this job I felt they were my customers and the service I provided to them, and to make sure they left the store happy.
Pros
we had insentives, for example; seven free movies per week.
Cons
it cold get overwhelming at times.
Was great while it lasted.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYSeptember 10, 2016
Everyone remembers Blockbuster! The location I worked at was filled with mostly happy customers and friendly workers. There wasn't much advance movement beyond becoming a shift manager for most, but the environment was usually a fun one. Unlike many retail jobs, Blockbuster was a place where workers interacted with customers with often common interests in entertainment, which helped make it easier to provide good service. Retail is generally thought of as frustrating because of constant minor complaints and low pay. Blockbuster included some of that, but the people I worked with handled such incidents with grace and fairness. As a former employee, I have fond memories. I know the business side was not dealt with as well as it could be, since the company no longer exists, but it was a good place to work for a decade of my life and I will always miss it.
Pros
Movies, friendly people, usually steady shifts
Cons
Low pay, retail trappings, limited advancement
customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIJune 12, 2016
Target has good merchandise that may need to reduce some of there prices. I so not have any more to include about this position.
Pros
some better quality
Cons
need better compensation
Always busy but in a good way.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 16, 2017
My day consisted of accepting returns first then moving on to filling the impulse area. Once done I would move on to fixing/aligning movies and video games on shelves. I would then start cashiering where I would take payments in the form of cash or credit/debit cards. Coworkers were friendly and very easy to get along with. The hardest part would have been the amount of customers on busy days as it would lead to shortages of movies or games that customers would be looking for. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we would get to spend downtime by watching movies.
Pros
Great environment.
Cons
Sometimes not enough items were ordered leading to angry customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blockbuster. Our community is ready to answer.

67%