Blockbuster
1,497 reviews

Blockbuster Employer Reviews

Good place when open
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Arlington, TXDecember 18, 2014
Company closed. Good work environment, great customers. Video review program better than any other. Managerial freedom with respect to customer issues. Well thought out work dynamics and plan-o-grams.
Never a dull day at this job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), St. Louis, MODecember 16, 2014
A typical day consisted of greeting customers and meeting sales goals at checkout. I learned how to actively sale. Management was fair. The hardest part was meeting goals. The easiest part was having fun.
Great Hours and Great Benefits
Asst. DC Manager Online Subscription (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 15, 2014
Opened the warehouse and closed the warehouse. Processed online orders, rentals, and returns. Never a bad day, working with films was fun.
Daily winning
District Sales Manager (Former Employee), south floridaDecember 15, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: company financial
Winning in customer care and achieving sales goals. Recruiting and hiring great teams with passion to win.
Fun workplace
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Pikeville, KYDecember 10, 2014
Pros: great employee/customer dynamic
Cons: short breaks
It was great to be able to work around movies all day. I would get to have deep discussions with customers about different movies,and it was even encouraged. All of the employees were very close and I felt like I was going to work with my friends every shift.
Very fun place to work
head cashier (Former Employee), Foley, ALDecember 9, 2014
This place is now closed but was very fun to work at.The atmospher was great and just enjoyable tp work for
Out of Business
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Plano, TXDecember 9, 2014
Cons: terrible corporate involvement bordelining on a big game of passing the buck.
What can I say, the business practices did not adapt with the changing market and their management style reflected so.
Great job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VADecember 7, 2014
Too bad the blockbusters didn't last for a while. This was one of my best jobs
Very fun place to work an customers where great
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 3, 2014
Pros: free movies, friendly enviroment and great customers
Cons: bad business model, closing stores/out of business
Typical day at work here was just make sure the store was open and clean and customers where happy. Enjoyed my managers and always helped when they where called upon. Co-workers where friendly and respectful. There truly was not a hard part to this job but if had to pick something would be the monthly physical inventories. I enjoyed the customer interaction – more... and getting to know them personally. – less
They are no longer in business in my city
Store Sales Associate (Former Employee), san antonio txDecember 2, 2014
Day consisted of checking customers out, offering programs and new deals; I learned to keep everything organized by title and release dates of movies and games; very little supervision as managers treated us like friends and supported our decision making skills.
Terrible
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Lee's Summit, MODecember 2, 2014
Terrible, terrible, turrible. Its making me write more. I have nothing good to say.
Great Job
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 29, 2014
Pros: it was working with movies
Cons: no cons at all
It was a great job orienting customers in which movies to watch when they asked for a movie to watch, the management was pretty strict in store organization and schedule, co-workers were helpful with each other, the hardest part of the job was getting used to how to answer the phone not saying just Hello! and the most enjoyable part of the job was that – more... we could get new releases home for free as long as we return the video the next day – less
Good job for part time, no longer relevant.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Bonney Lake, WANovember 23, 2014
Worked at Blockbuster while in high school, and the work and environment was nice. Irrelevant now considering they are out of business.
Fun, entertaining environment, movies and games
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Olney, MDNovember 22, 2014
Pros: 5 free movie or game rentals per week
Cons: working friday and saturday nights until 1am
Opened and closed store, supervised a diverse staff of young and middle-aged people. Enjoyed the free movies and games weekly. Management was very hands-on, the management training sessions were excellent, as well as the training store before you were placed into your actual store. The hardest part of the job was having to work Friday and Saturday nights – more... until 1 am because this was high traffic time, but it was understandable. Doing inventory counts were strenuous as well, having to scan each and every product in store. Overall a fun experience. – less
Good
Shift Leader>Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 22, 2014
I thrived working in this fast pace environment. I was quickly promoted to a shift leader and then an assistant manager. this allowed me to keep my job and gain experience in the working world .
Working at a doctors office
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Springfield, VANovember 22, 2014
I learned that all people are different when it comes to helping them. I also learned that if you can not find out what is wrong with someone then let the doctor try to find out whats wrong
Wouldn't Rent again
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Bayonne, NJNovember 20, 2014
Pros: free rentals, social rapport with customers that left me pleased
Cons: poor working conditions, no benefits, no room for growth
Unfortunately this Company was no longer relevant. What with Netflex taking over the conditions worsened with each day. There were no benefits and advancement was practically impossible. Pay compensation was abysmal and employee moral was horrendous.

I wish I had been able to see what this Company was like during its heydays, but sadly those days are – more... gone and so is Blockbuster.

It wasn't all bad, it was nice to talk to customers about movies and watch a lot of new films I never would have picked up ordinarily to better service them only to be pleasantly surprised by their quality. – less
Great company great people
Store Manager (Former Employee), Park Ridge, ILNovember 18, 2014
fantastic place to work its a shame they closed down. When the new ceo took over there was a great sense of direction for the company sadly it was too little too late.
Fun but low pay
Customer Service Representative / Game Adviser (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCNovember 15, 2014
Pay is very minimum but a very fun place to work at. Free rentals is a plus!
Great opportunity while it lasted
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORNovember 14, 2014
Pros: loved working in the environment, discussing movies and games.
Cons: business eventually closed its doors.
This job was an excellent way for me to get a glimpse of management techniques and daily operations. Daily operation included money counts and deposits, inventory of store, meeting with personnel to discuss sales goals and other essential operations. The hardest part of the job was the control of inventory.

1 2 3 4 5