Blockbuster Employee Reviews

Found 1,872 reviews matching the search
pay was pretty good but was a stressful place to work
HR Associate/Unemployment Services (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCFebruary 17, 2016
opened emails and prioritized, checked for incoming documents necessary to process my claims, made sure all documentation and information was scanned and emailed to state.
I learned and gained a lot of experience and knowledge on providing back up documentation on unemployment claims.

Management and co workers had their own duties in the work place, so not a lot of socializing.

The hardest part of the job was sometimes meeting the daily deadlines when the majority of claims were sometimes 50 claims due by 3:00pm. The rushing to get these out on time could very stressful.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I saved the company thousands in tax dollars each year.
Pros
lunches provided on certain occasions, bonuses, and gifts at parties
Cons
advancement, job security
Actually called Steve and Barry's
dr supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 3, 2016
Was only there for a couple of months. They drew me in as a new hire and promise of a new career, but I was pretty much there to help them close down. I quit after they stopped giving me work hours. nevertheless, it was a good place to work and they put me in a new position pretty fast.
Pros
nice clothes at a discount, good management
Cons
didn't tell employees that they were closing, not giving hours, ok compensation
Blockbuster Video
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Great company to work for, compensation was on the low end. However benefits were outstanding work life balance was outstanding. Management was supportive and helpful to those within the stores.
Fun place to work, great friendly job.
Cashier/Closer (Former Employee) –  Sylacauga, ALMarch 16, 2016
Great job. Due to competitive competition in the movie area, this company was unfortunately closed. I loved working this job, from my duties down to the staff and management.
Was great while it lasted.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYSeptember 10, 2016
Everyone remembers Blockbuster! The location I worked at was filled with mostly happy customers and friendly workers. There wasn't much advance movement beyond becoming a shift manager for most, but the environment was usually a fun one. Unlike many retail jobs, Blockbuster was a place where workers interacted with customers with often common interests in entertainment, which helped make it easier to provide good service. Retail is generally thought of as frustrating because of constant minor complaints and low pay. Blockbuster included some of that, but the people I worked with handled such incidents with grace and fairness. As a former employee, I have fond memories. I know the business side was not dealt with as well as it could be, since the company no longer exists, but it was a good place to work for a decade of my life and I will always miss it.
Pros
Movies, friendly people, usually steady shifts
Cons
Low pay, retail trappings, limited advancement
Selling is not easy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAApril 5, 2016
Scan movies and try to sell and hit pre-sale and bundle goals
Ask every customer if they want to add candy or pre-buy a game/moive
I had one kind manager the rest were relentless with pushing sales and made work miserable
Great co-workers happy and helpful
Selling and hitting pre-sale and bundle goals
Interacting with customers
Pros
Free movie rentals and game rentals, easy work aside from selling
Cons
selling, management, hours, and pay
Was good but feel down hard.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shelby Township, MISeptember 6, 2016
My typical day working at blockbuster mainly consisted working on the weekends at night. I worked as a cashier, that mainly helped with the customers check out their movies, check in movies that have been returned, and put them back out on the shelf. I would walk around and see if anyone needed help finding anything or to rate certain movies or games, and also try and sell their rewards programs they offered. The management was okay for the fact we rotated every few years getting new management. Every switch they do we seemed to get people that did not want to work at all.
Good employees, horrible management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 22, 2016
Great people to work with, made good friends, horrible management and lack of empathy towards employees, most enjoyable was the people i worked with and really cool customers that came in that were my favorite people to work with, typical days were sort of busy in the evening and slow at night the most annoying part of the job is rude customers and parents/adults who don't pick up after their kids mess and people who just leave movies everywhere and dont put them back and also leaving isles a complete mess.
Pros
early access to movies.
Cons
rarely any breaks, bad management from store and company
Fun workplace, easy learning curve.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAMay 26, 2016
A typical day would include running the cash register, constant customer interaction & keeping the store clean/organized.

I gained a lot of experience running a cash register, interacting with customers & pitching promotional offers.

The management at my store were great people, were very kind & helpful, plus did a great job of training me.

My co-workers were an extremely varied lot, all of whom were very friendly and helpful.

The hardest part of my job was when I had to work shifts alone, customer lines would pile up & I had to learn how to keep my stress in check & to concentrate on one customer interaction at a time.

The most enjoyable part of my job was that the work environment in general was fun, my store had great people to work with, plus the job had great perks such as free movie/video game rentals for employees.
Good Part Time Work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKMarch 2, 2016
Good place to work and learn the basics of good customer service and management skills. A fun job with entertaining benefits.
Archaic and nostalgic.
Dish Sales Manager/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMarch 8, 2016
Working at Blockbuster, at times, can be difficult. Due to the decline of the company, the computer systems were outdated and archaic. However, the company taught me the necessary tools to interact with people in a retail environment. Blockbuster shifts were often long hours but somewhat slow. Overall, Blockbuster was enjoyable and nostalgic.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, decent wage, and movie trivia knowledge.
Cons
Slow shifts, and outdated computer software.
This job was unduly stressful thanks to unreasonable expectations of upper management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 8, 2016
One was frequently forced to work alone all day handling unusual amount of tasks while assisting customers. Co-workers were generally good spirited, but some store managers were given to bullying on an almost personal scale. The hardest part of the job was selling non-company related items. Hours were often based on how many satellite subscriptions and candy was sold rather than the customer service in finding movies. Previews of new titles was best.
Pros
Nice co-workers and free rentals
Cons
Too much micro-managing and schedule cancellations
Blockbuster movies
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJuly 27, 2016
A typical day would include many tasks, such as labeling and pricing, customer service, checking in items and stock replenishment as required. Putting up new Posters for the new movies.

Working at Blockbuster has taught me about the movie industry and how to critic movies in order to sell them.

The management staff was awesome as well as co/workers

The hardest part of my day was well there were none.

The most enjoyable part was previewing the new movies for the customers
Pros
watching the new releases before they hit the sales floor
Cons
Great place to work - sorry to see that they are gone.
Director, HR Distribution and Corporate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 10, 2015
This was a highly collegial and collaborative environment. The employees were truly committed to the brand and each other. Everyone reached out and would offer assistance when needed. Very entrepreneurial and the CEO was willing to take business risks.
Pros
The employees and environment
Cons
Long hours worked but really worth the effort
Interesting workplace
Online Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2015
This wasn't a bad place it was just a bad period in terms of the market. Netflix had already taken most of the streaming market and Blockbuster tried download rentals and purchases but the Blockbuster software never worked properly and streaming was at times much slower than other services. The coworkers and management were fine though.
Pros
ability to work from home
Cons
low pay and no reward/raises for hard work, if one person did something wrong, the whole team would get threatened
The tale end of a dying company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CAJune 6, 2016
At first, Blockbuster was very rewarding and I felt successful there as I was able to move up to shift lead, assistant manager, and eventually store manager fairly quickly. But as Blockbuster began to dwindle, so did many of the pleasures of work. Incentives for sales and performance were eliminated and thus made work very unrewarding.
To save money, all store managers, including myself, were given extremely minimal hours to divide among staff and many days were understaffed.
Pros
free movie rentals, discount on movies, room for growth and advancement.
Cons
understaffed, no rewards.
fun environment with a great staff.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 9, 2015
I worked here for a year and it was fun. The best part is the co-workers and being able to check out movies before they came out on the shelves, plus having benefits to check out movies and catch all the latest movies. The hours were great and management was awesome and friendly as well.
Pros
movies
Cons
health coverage
Fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Talladega, ALAugust 30, 2016
A typical work day for me while working for this company was just getting through the day, but I never complained since I really did enjoy my job with the company. Learned a great deal about movies and games. The managers I worked with were really cool, even the district manager. Hardest part of my job as store manager was closing my store for good. The most enjoyable part was learning about what sort of genres of movies my customers liked and their recommendations.
Fun place to work.
CLIENT SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIJuly 20, 2016
Meeting and greeting clients. Suggesting movies, games, selling popcorn, candies, chips, etc.
I've learned cash handling, interacting with all different types of people.
I had great managers.
Fun co-workers.
The hardest part was standing and walking the floor for 6 to 8 hours a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was coming to work and seeing familiar faces and talking about movies and games they enjoyed.
Pros
Free movie rentals
Cons
Standing during your shift.
Would be awesome If I manage it myself.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln Park, MIAugust 15, 2016
Block Buster was amazing, it provided entertainment produced by the stars of the world. It provided online, in-store and digital cable products. Starting from movies to video-games, and even cartoons. It also carried snacks to accompany your over all experience of entertainment.
Pros
A fun way to work interacting with people who share common interest.
Cons
If managed poorly the overall experience is ruined!