Blockbuster Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,832 reviews matching the search
Blockbuster Video
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 19, 2016
Blockbuster Video was a great job while my children were young. It provided a flexible work schedule along with a fun work environment.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No longer in business
The state of Blockbuster towards the end of the companies run taught me to how to handle the struggles of retail at their most extreme.
District Training Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 17, 2016
The thing a loved most about Blockbuster Video was the loyalty from customers and associates. I was hired in 2002 just after the Viacom split and things were great. I received excellent education and training to move into my store manager position. The company rewarded its employee with parties, bonuses, and trips out of state for meetings. 4 years later and on it changed, I enjoyed the independence of being a store manager. I was able to hire my own people to build support and develop, however upper management was inconsistent and overworked. There were rarely bonuses, contests, parties and prizes needed to be managed at the store level with no company support. The loyalty of customers meant your traffic did not decrease however, you worked alone in a store for 5+ hours. Challenged of closing store announcements and fear of job security were a constant in the last 3 years. All this gave me experience in managing and motivating people in a constantly changing and desperate environment.
Very sad company didn't keep up with technology.
Store Manager and trainer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 1, 2016
I worked a total of 12 years for BBV. Great fun atmosphere!! I credit BBV with my training that has help me in every other job I've ever had.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Closed
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMarch 4, 2016
We would get the movies before anyone else did. We would watch them and tell the customers what the movie was about. Got into movies that i didn't think i would care for.
Loved this job
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Selmer, TNJanuary 11, 2016
I had so much fun at work. This was the job I loved the most. Helping people talking with people it was the best job in my opinion. I loved everyone I worked with. Unfortunately, we just didn't have enough business.
Pros
Free rentals
blockbuster
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2016
Start the shift with a meeting, with the crew to delegate job responsibilities and roles for the day. Interact with the customers to ensure they have a good experience. Receive in new merchandise.
Fun work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boaz, ALApril 1, 2016
Blockbuster provided a great place to get to help people and get to now there interest and tastes. Great team based atmosphere.
Why bother? Their gone.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 4, 2016
Blockbuster disappeared through no fault of my own. I worked hard. I got paid poorly. I increased the volume of my location and yet the company still failed because the World passed them by. Not my fault and not my problem.
productive and fun work place
Assistant Store Manager; Supervise Staff (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 27, 2015
stocking, displaying merchandise ,management was great,coworkers were willing to help hardest part was trying to prevent theft,the most enjoyable was free movie rental , learned to be a store manager. the only reason not there is redox came out and we lost to the competition
Pros
free movies
Cons
went out of business in my area
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 8, 2016
The people were nice and I was able to move up within the company. Unfortunately, the company closed and I was laid off. I enjoyed my job while at Blockbuster and was sorry to see them close.
Pros
People, Hours
Cons
Company closed
Blockbuster is out of business
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSMarch 26, 2016
Blockbuster is out of business, therefore there is nothing I can say about this job that would matter to any one out there.
na
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39209April 5, 2016
great company hate they closed down would prob still be there loved the employees as well learned a lot there on that job very nice play
used to be the place to be
store manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 13, 2015
I loved working for this company 15 years ago, however the last few years were just a nightmare. Policies changed daily, along with management. They were scrambling so hard to stay in business they lost total focus on their customers and employees.
Pros
pay, benefits, fun environment
Cons
business is gone
Small Store Blues
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 6, 2015
I was hired as a sales floor representative. The job in itself wasn't terrible but I was often doing things no one ever mentioned i was hired to do. Was even scolded for not knowing/wanting to do them.

I was going to college at the time but they constantly scheduled me to work when I couldn't.

I was brought on as only a part-time employee so maybe they were trying to juice me for every cent.
Had to clean windows, toilets, floors on top of my cashier duties.

None of that was too bad but they called me in often to work shifts that others would call-in from.

They also wanted me to work during my lunch breaks but never forced me to do so.
Pros
Free games to play
Cons
store usually only had two employees
Blockbuster Video
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Great company to work for, compensation was on the low end. However benefits were outstanding work life balance was outstanding. Management was supportive and helpful to those within the stores.
Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 26, 2016
I would help people order or check out movies and games. It was a great place to work before they went out of business. The downfall was always staying open even when the store would have no power
This place was amazing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 2, 2015
Very laid back job I learned a lot of movies it was well managed until it got close to going out of business then the management became horrible. The co-workers were all great people who I would work with again any day. There was nothing hard about working this job. The best part of that job was just being able to work there I loved every second of it until the management got bad.
Pros
you to take a break whenever you wanted
Cons
No cons the job was fine
Great place to work. Fun and entertaining.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaDecember 5, 2015
Trended in the wrong direction within the industry carrying heavy debt from due to over aggressive contracts with studios.
Pros
Entertaining environment and exiting place to work.
Cons
Products became undesirable due to technology
fun place
shift manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, MOApril 14, 2016
Great place to work while they were opened. Very friendly management. Good work/life balance and very nice co-workers.
Great first time job
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hollister, CASeptember 30, 2015
I became familiar with customer service, and learned about counting back money. This was my first job, so it was a great learning experience. I had a lot of responsibility for still being in High School. The only down fall was that they had a lot of management changes, and were constantly developing a new set of job standards, which at the time was no big deal, however now that I am able to look back I see that it was unprofessional. The company was always putting more duties then the staff was able to maintain, due to being under staffed.
Pros
free movie rentals, gained experiance
Cons
problems with maintaining functions with in the company