BloodCenter of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Stressful
Donor Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee AreaApril 8, 2017
Benefits are reasonable. Insurance cost very pricey for part time employee. Pay is probably reasonable for phlebotomy, but you are more than just a phlebotomist.

The hours are ridiculous with very early morning start times, always staying late if on late shift, and often working late one night and back early the next day. The day is long too and it is very hard to work anything in your life around these hours. Basically you work from the time you start until you leave with a 20 minute break only. You are not done until the last donor is out the door and all of your shut down tasks are done.

They do put effort into training you before you are put on the floor in a classroom type environment, but it is a lot of information thrown at you quickly. You are with a trainer your first two days on the floor and someone shadows you for your first 45 cases. This sounds good, but no one really connects what you learned in the class to what you are doing on the floor and those shadowing you have little patience for it and probably would rather be doing something else.

The people are basically like any job, some nice and some not, some helpful and some not, etc.

I didn't last long and I was at a place that supposedly was one of the better sites.

Between the donors, the coworkers, and the blood center way of doing things, it was a stressful experience.
Pros
It's a job with benefits.
Cons
Hours, stressful work environment, expect a lot for the pay.
Kiss family and well being goodbye
Donor specialist (Current Employee) –  WisconsinApril 7, 2017
PTO is a benefit but you'll be denied every time you ask. Learn to sleep in short spurts because you'll work until late one night and insanely early the next. 10-12 hour days are common but you'll only get 15 minutes to sit on a dirty floor wherever you're working and shove food in your face as fast as you can.
Think you learned the policies and procedures pretty well? Guess what? You're wrong, they changed without notice and it just knocked down your yearly review. You'll work your butt off while the next guy works at minimum and get paid the same. Negative reinforcement is all this company knows.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Feeling like a beaten dog
Outstanding Mission Driven Organization
BLOOD PROGRAM CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 4, 2017
The commitment of leadership, staff and volunteers in this organization is simply unparalleled to any other in the Milwaukee Community. The collaboration and dedication to pioneering life saving gifts is an industry leader. Without fail, BCW is a leader in the blood industry.
Research staff overworked understaffed with minimal support from management
Research (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIMarch 19, 2017
Management disorganized inconsistant . Lacking real time experience in the field of RESEARCH. Job responsibilities are overwhelming. In general. SALARY Staff members work HOURS are demanding. And require extreme flexibility.
Pros
Co workers are dedicated to the profession
Cons
Costly healthcare benefits, inconsistency with management, . Not enough hours in a day to meet the demands of the job
Bad company
Boss 1 (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 13, 2016
This company will set you up for failure every single day. If you want to be over worked and under payed this company is for you. I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Bad hours, no family life
Very demanding company for customer facing positions
Blood Drive Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 31, 2016
Employees are very dedicated and hard working but are being asked to work unreasonable hours and in understaffed conditions. In my opinion, management shows a lack of respect for professional and personal boundaries and time. Benefits are ok but not great and expensive to have considering this organization doesn't pay well for most positions. Retirement plan is about what other non-profits are offering. Their annual 'performance review' is supposedly based on performance but I believe really comes down to budget and are usually done late and by supervisors who themselves haven't been trained to do them properly. On boarding beyond a day long orientation, development and growth opportunities were non-existent for my position, this may not be the case for every department. Very top heavy organization driving the goals but little interaction with the field staff. They have a great mission and are doing amazing life saving work in the community but employees get very little in the way of recognition or care for their health and welfare. Volunteers are amazing and really provide the best customer service to donors. I think the employees do the best they can under the circumstances but would give better customer service if they weren't so stressed and overworked. My guess is there is probably a lot of important front line position turnover in this organization.
Pros
Volunteers, front line staff who are dedicated, mission of organization
Cons
Lack of appreciation and respect from management, long hours, low wages
Productive and working for a life saving mission
(Marrow) Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee WIOctober 12, 2015
It was an exciting place to work. The marrow department was overseen by an affiliate blood center, however, the work was important and offered a high level of satisfaction.
Pros
flexible scheduling, good pay, benefits
Cons
lack of management communication at some times
N/a
DONOR RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 24, 2015
I enjoyed working for the company. But there was very little variety I enjoy multi-tasking. The people were ok and it was fun but I just could not see myself there full time
Very demanding work place that does not always appreciate success..
Blood Program Consultant - Waukesha County (Current Employee) –  Waukesha County, WisconsinJanuary 23, 2015
Swings in variety of requirements, from fielding or making calls, to out-in-field meetings, booking events, ordering marketing materials for events, providing community sponsors with promotional tools to make events successful and being responsible for successful event execution every day. Speaking engagements are part of this day also.

I learned to handle pressure of building a budget of relationships to achieve successful blood collections to meet patient need. Learned also to speak more effectively, persuasively and clearly.

Management is very determined to achieve collection goals at all costs.

My co-workers are very intelligent, sensitive and determined folks, who are excellent at what they do.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the regular pressure of whether programs are going to perform successfully, when those people executing the programs are volunteers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working for the patients and motivating and partnering with those in the community to help me meet the needs of the patients.
Pros
Mission is patient care; Pretty good benefit package here.
Cons
Lack of appreciation for successes, poor customer service
You bleed for this place. Literally
Donor Specialist (Former Employee) –  WISeptember 19, 2014
It's almost impossible to schedule anything because you work schedule is never the same, and you don't know what you will be working more than two weeks out. They can change up your hours, or schedule a drive at the last minute abd you are expected to go along with it. This job is pretty much for single people with no life. As soon as you have kids you can forget about this place.
Pros
Pay was nice
Cons
No life outside of work, crazy schedules
Company only cares about bottom line, not people
Recruiting (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeAugust 3, 2014
For a company that is in the business of saving lives they care little about their employees. It is all about making money. I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Pay well
Cons
Treat employees horrible
Harsh schedules
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Marshfield, wiApril 25, 2014
If you have kids or a family don't expect to see them often. Work 12+ hr days with no breaks. Bend over backwards to help the company and get nothing in return. They say every other weekend but you will work 3 in a row. Put in for vacation 2 months in advance and they will take it away the day before it starts. Supervisors are amazing and understanding but are not given proper tool to do their job. Always understaffed and for a good reason.
Pros
Best crew of workers
Cons
Ridiculous schedules.
Great group of people.
Post doctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 13, 2013
Energetic and high level of competence. Dedicated and cutting edge research facilities. Management needs to support advancement of internal candidates who are well qualified.
A great place to work
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 15, 2013
The BloodCenter of Wisconsin provided a positive work experience overall. The company was very generous when it came to providing work/life balance to employees. My co-workers were very good to work with, everyone worked together as a team. Management lead by example and worked side by side with their employees.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Opportunity for growth
Very structured emviorment,I know I make a diffrence
Donor Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 31, 2013
A tipical day of work is calling our donors to try to get them to schedule their next blood donation. I also remind donors of appointments and take feedback from donors. Redirecting calls answering questions and providing great customer service. I've learned so much at the Blood center, Every job is critical for them to run as they do. It makes me feel my job is important and that im needed in the company. The hardest part of my job is hearing that donors have gotten terminally ill or that or inventory is too low. My co-workers are amazing! Everyone understands the team concept so we work very well together to acomplish our goal.One negative aspect is that as a company the blood center is closed minded when it comes to change. The feedback they get sometimes we use it and other times we don't. Overall great company!
Pros
paid holidays pto earned after ninety days
Productive and Fun place to work
Senior Donor Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, WIJuly 5, 2013
Fast paced environment but a lot of nice people to work with.
Management is over bearing and staff are over worked.
Donor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milw, WisconsinDecember 14, 2012
Been working for BC for years and the only true thing we do well is know how to change policies that do not support the true hard working people and that is the staff. We are so top heavy and yet they keep taking away our benefits to create more management jobs.
There is no work life balance and the work Ethic has gone out the window. We are understaffed on a daily basis and the quality has gone down.
Pros
donors
Cons
management, no breaks, no respect, 1 week schedules
Fast paced, busy, friendly environment
Donor Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Bend, WIOctober 11, 2012
Busy at site center or traveling to a mobile. I have learned how to draw platelets, plasma and red cells.
Co-workers are fun and dependable.
Pros
close to home, bright and cheery environment
Cons
unsteady schedules
A fast paced environment and friendly environment.
Components Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee,WIOctober 2, 2012
What I learned about working at the Bloodcenter is that its better to hepl others in need instead of thinking about yourself. I have worked with friendly coworkers and the management staff was very helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BloodCenter of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9