Bloomingdale's Employee Reviews

WorkPlace
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJanuary 10, 2017
Management is Horrible and Discriminative, took time to help employees, but only the ones they were friends with. (people of their color, white) its a great place to work in, only if you have tough skin.and if you ever go there, none of the managers are of Afro Amer. Decent.

Also their point system is horrible.
Pros
great discount
Cons
Point System, Management
Inconsistent organizational structure
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Inconsistent organizational structure due to experimental procedures that primarily end up hurting sales. Managers were treated poorly, working long hours with no over-time pay. Also, some associates were being over scheduled compared to other associates that were being under scheduled and wanted more hours.
Pros
Benefits, compensation pay, discount
Cons
Inconsistent organizational structure
busy retail environment w/opportunity to make commission,chance for advancement within thecompany
Fine Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYSeptember 9, 2016
Upscale retail environment with flexible scheduling, some departments offer commission in addition to hourly wages,very diverse workforce, knowledgeable management, encourage employees to work independently w/o constant supervision
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no holiday pay for part time
I didn't like working for bloomingdales
Logistics (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 2, 2017
Very unorganized staff and management. The hardest part about working at Bloomingdales was coming to work and not having anything to do because management had gone home for the day leaving no instructions for the evening shift.
Pros
Nice break area for employees
Cons
very unorganized staff and management
Enjoyed working with customers and being part of a fast paced and changing fashion industry
Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2016
A typical day at work involves merchandising, greeting and assisting customers, contacting clients for promotions and special events, finding new prospects to add to my client book, finding merchandise customers have ordered online, solving customer issues, learning about new fashion trends, writing reports on what is selling best and why, writing reports on what items need to be re-ordered.

I learned a lot about fashion trends, how products are made, how to work with a variety of clientele, how to effectively sell and persuade customers, how to work as a team and individually, how to negotiate with selling team, support team, and management.

The management is unprofessional and play favorites when it comes to internal promotions. The majority of management roles are hired externally. There is little to no room for growth. As a sales associate this is not a career path.

My co-workers all vary in age. The younger folks are hoping to gain experience in fashion while the older crew is looking for a stable and stress free job

The hardest parts of the job is the long hours on your feet, the lack of opportunity to grow with the company, and the customer complaints.

The best parts of the job are the co-workers, the customers, and the amazing fashion!
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No opportunity for growth. Not a career path.
Personal stylist
Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2016
A regular day at bloomingdales consist of opening registers, make sure the sales floor is up to par for a luxurious experience from start to finish. I have learned how to cliental and show the customer what the store has to offer from woman/mens clothing, shoes, makeup, and even home goods. This has also lead to understanding and dealing with customer issues in a way everyone leaves happy. My co workers are very helpful and supportive in becoming knowledgeable on luxury brands we sell at the store. The most enjoyable part of what i do is the satisfaction and happiness it brings my customers when they leave the store happy and more confident in themselves.
Pros
discounts
Cons
none really
A great environment where everyone worked as a team
Private client consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2016
I've always had a daily goal for myself. Everyday my job was to make sure all of my customers were happy and help them to meet their needs. Everyday I've learned something new and thats what I've mostly enjoyed at my job.I like to work as a team with my co-workers and always make sure to follow and meet the requirements set by the management.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
less paid time off
Typical day
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 13, 2017
Answering phones daily when the executives are not available. Assist customers regarding charge accounts questions. Actively listening and resolving customer questions and concerns. Answering Customer Credit issues, answering both Store Associate questions and Customer’s.
n/a
Executive to VP of Asset Protection/Safety (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2016
Good company with good work/life balance. People are friendly and summer Fridays are always a nice perk. Management can use a little bit more work on succession planning for their associates.
Great staff and funny customers, I love it!
Merchandiser/Stock, October (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2016
My typical day consist of maintaining my station as the Burberry Specialist. Stocking merchandise, inventory's, informing customers whats new and getting feed back on how Burberry can improve. Also scheduling meeting and attending staff meeting with multiple Burberry departments. I learn more about Burberry polices and how they work with Bloomingdale's polices and the important of making items available for customers and proper ways to interact with customers. My management were the best. Very straight forward and helpful. My co-workers and the staffs were all helpful, outgoing and pure definition of a team. I would say the hardest part was maintaining the table station since my department was on the children floor because the children like playing with the props/ decorations on the tables. I enjoyed very aspect of the job but the most was making sure my customers always got the right items at the right time.
Pros
Having a well organized management and helpful team.
Cons
N/A
Good Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLJuly 13, 2016
A typical day to work i always get there on time, responsible, go to the meetings every day to see whats going on on the store, promotions, etc, see my client book and call the ones who hasn't been in the stores for long time, try to give the best customer service to every single client, if a have any problem i try to always give them the answer without calling my manager. The hardest part of the job was opening credit card must of the people didn't like that.
The enjoyable was everyone work as a team and try to help others with everything we can, and they work with our schedule when we needed a day or hours to go to school.
Fashion industry
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2017
Great place to work if you love fashion. Right in the heart of downtown gets the experience so many different cultures and people. Very easy to maintain a flexible work schedule love working here.very diverse and easy to move up
Pros
Easy job
Cons
One feet all day
Wonderful
Beauty Advisor/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NY (Soho)November 14, 2016
Wonderfull and caring staff while I was there. Great pay/comission/insetives I have heard and seen that it has changed a lot due to management. Great insurance.. No bonuses unless you are a manager.
Pros
Treated well
Cons
no Bonus
Very Racist
Rag and Bone Specialists (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2016
This company is very unprofessional and racist. They will only help you move up in the company if you are not brown. They select a few to be in a better position but this is just hide their real intentions. The insurance they offer is too high. They also train you to racial profile and call loss prevention when some one of color come in to follow them.
productive an fun
Dot.com Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYNovember 11, 2016
bloomingdales is a great place to work especially during the holiday season,the management was great and the co-workers were good as well.It got very hectic at times but still a good job overall
Pros
1hr lunch discounts
Cons
very busy at times
great place to work part time
Expediter (Current Employee) –  Millburn, NJDecember 18, 2016
The people here are great to work with. The customers can be a lot to deal with at times though. The management is great, and every week there are new sales and discounts for the employees.
The opportunity for growth was implied however, never applied.
Trim Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2016
While I am sure Bloomingdales could be a great company. At the time of my seasonal hiring the Lenox store had just lose it's store manager and the store seemed to be very unorganized. Perhaps, because some leaders grew to an understanding of their positions as lead and filled in where needed. While others, were unprofessional causing monetary loses as well as valuable employees.
Pros
opportunity for growth
Cons
horrible management in housewares and children's departments.
Great
Lead sales/stylist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 1, 2017
Excellent job and has great opportunities cashier, stocking opening and closing
Doing mark downs helping customers
Management excellent job and pay rate is excellent
summary
Lead Visual Merchandise Stylist (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJFebruary 29, 2016
The company is fair. salary fair for position. Retail is in a transition and competing with eCommerce. It is definitely felt in the culture of busienss
Pros
fair
High end store, low end customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJanuary 17, 2017
Bloomingdales is fashion forward, high End and pays better than most retail stores. However their new HR woman is rude and condescending. They ask for a lot and don't give very much. The customers are entitled unruly and sometimes just disgusting. I don't miss it
Pros
Bonuses for opening accounts and getting donations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bloomingdale's. Our community is ready to answer.