Job Opening: CNC Plasma Operator
Blu Homes, a leading clean-tech company, is seeking qualified applicants for full-time CNC Plasma Operator position in its Operations Group. The position is located in our Vallejo, CA factory. Blu engineers, manufactures, and sells high-tech, ecofriendly modular homes that are designed to take advantage of smaller spaces and intelligent design for more responsible ecological and economic footprints.
The Plasma/ Waterjet CNC Operator has technical skills and is responsible for the complete and independent set-up and operation of computerized numerically controlled machine tools.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Reads daily workloads to determine what parts and shafts are required, and prioritizes according to constraint and shipping buffers.
- Performs all functions associated with operation of the CNC shape cutting machine. Start-up and shutdown procedures.
- Transfer of programs to and from the host computer, setting up the programs to produce required parts, originating programs from standard shapes, modifying programs from oxy-fuel to plasma and from plasma to oxy-fuel, adjusting kerf settings.
- Understands all functions on CNC, i.e. plasma cutting tips/nozzle size and speed charts, oxy-fuel cutting tips and gas pressures, kerf settings, amperage settings, standard shapes, keyboard to computer, and appropriate instruction manuals.
- Determines what materials are needed, checks materials on hand, and orders any other materials needed from stores.
- Instructs material handler on what material to load and/or unload, which material to return to stores, how to load table to maximize productivity.
- Checks material for grade, thickness, and size.
- Color-codes parts as required per routing.
- Reads prints, determines tolerances, and checks parts against prints to ensure quality of parts being cut. Based on the appearance and quality of parts being produced, makes appropriate adjustments to the processes, such as travel speed, tip size, tip replacement, gas pressures, kerf compensation, torch height, and other factors as needed to produce the desired quality.
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly operator preventive maintenance.
- Communicates problems with CNC shape cutter or any other equipment to lead man, supervisor, and/or maintenance to ensure problem resolution.
- Uses knowledge of the machine and its characteristics to assist maintenance personnel in maintaining and trouble-shooting its system.
- Determines optimum plate utilization to minimize scrap.
- Maintains housekeeping in assigned areas.
- Responsible for safety and environmental issues regarding assigned area, i.e. material handling of material, crane use, vacuum lift use, cutting torch, hot parts, lifting weight limits, proper eye protection, and proper level in water table to minimize smoke generated during cutting process.
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrate ability to read and write English of a level required in company shop documents.
- Must demonstrate and be capable of applying mathematical operations using fractions, decimals, trigonometry and geometry as required by machining operations.
- Generally equivalent to journeyman trade school graduate.
- Demonstrate Math and English proficiency through company testing as required.
- Knowledge and expertise in the set-up and operation of computerized numerical control machines, tools and equipment which are similar or comparable to those used by the company and which are necessary to fulfill job requirements.
- Must have demonstrated the capability to set- up and operate the CNC machines required to the level of journeyman.
- Must be able to use precision measuring instruments such as comparators, indicator, calipers and micrometers.
- May be required to perform other jobs as needed by the company.
- Personable, friendly, and down to earth manner;
- Strong work ethic, analytical approach & intellectual curiosity;
- Collaborative team player; able to work in a startup environment;
- Handles difficult situations in a relaxed and proactive way;
- Self-confidence, tact, and respectfulness in dealing with people.
- Must have at least 2-3 years of experience.
- Able to read blueprints and use various measuring tools for inspection of parts.
- Plasma and Waterjet experience is highly desirable.
- Experience operating a CNC Router or Mill is preferred.
- Good communications skills and able to work well independently.
- Basic understanding of G-Codes a plus.
Application Process: Please Email applications. Please write “CNC Plasma Operator” in the subject line of the email and attach your resume, list of projects and a cover letter (important) detailing your interest in working with Blu and why your experience and skills would make you well suited to the position. Resume and applications may be FAXED to 707-638-0442. To request an application call: 707-563-6452.