Blue Acorn Employee Reviews

Making the necessary, logical choices
Brand Team Member (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 27, 2016
As companies grow, there are always periods of strain. Blue Acorn has seen a lot of changes in the ecommerce world, and from adjust their strategies internally and externally, they've continued to thrive. On a day to day basis, teams here are often finding a healthy mix between productive and fun activities. Sure, there are perks that are commonly associated with appealing to younger team members, but for the rest of us having a great work-life balance and ideal benefits are great as well. Over the past few months the company has made some necessary and logical choices in order to position us for success. They are not always easy, but as a team we continue to come together and knock down barriers in our path. As a result we constantly pull in awards and recognition for the hard work and great results we produce.
Pros
Work-life balance, respect for employees
So much potential wasted
Architect (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 18, 2016
Blue Acorn has changed a lot since I came on board three years ago. Too many short sighted decisions from upper management, ill - managed rapid growth motivated by greed (followed by big layoff by the way), and basically hiring people off the street. There is a *severe* lack of talent and everybody is frustrated by it, but no one is paying enough to attract more talent. Way too many people get by by just showing up at their desk 9-5, not doing anything, and logging 40 hours to general overhead. (Our company is based around billable hours and nobody likes it.) For the record, I think our CEO is great, but he is surrounded by incompetence and doesn't know it.

The project managers are hired by what seems like a process of picking names out of a hat. They have no expertise, they don't know what development is, and they certainly can't manage a client relationship. Well, at least the vast majority of them fit into this category. Now we are in the phase of coming up with new titles for these people to see if that makes them better at client relationships.

If you are a developer, run away. If you lack any experience or skills but want to cut a decent paycheck, and don't mind being overworked, apply for a project management position.
Pros
add ecommerce to your resume
Cons
bad management
Run, run away!
Aspiring Alcoholic (Former Employee) –  Charleston. SCSeptember 29, 2015
Do you ever wonder why this place is always hiring?

Maybe it's because they encourage drinking at work and make references to the movie "Road House" in their job descriptions.

I am not sure how a company like this retains any clientele at all with their sophomoric attitudes.

They think that by providing you with free alcohol, it will provide an incentive for you to eat lunch at your desk and work late.

If you are stuck in 1989, or are an aspiring alcoholic, this is the place for you!

If you need a pay check really bad, go for it!
Pros
You get a paycheck every week
Cons
working with drunks, sophomoric attitudes and Patrick Swayze
Great teammates and rewarding work
QA Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 18, 2014
Working at Blue Acorn has been a great experience since I began here. We recently completed a move into a second office since I started, because of our growth, and the new facility is fantastic. What makes me happy when I look back at the the last few years at Blue Acorn, despite drastic growth and changes, is that our CEO has managed to maintain a great team environment.

Blue Acorn has hired a lot of really intelligent people, that are enjoyable to work with. I'm happy when I sit in meeting rooms, I still see familiar faces from the day I interviewed. I'm happy to look back and see that not only do we have a lot of new, high profile clients, but we also have some clients that were with Blue Acorn before I started.

I would recommend Blue Acorn to anyone, that wants to work in an environment where you get to work on exciting e-commerce projects, and enjoy the rewards of seeing your efforts, directly affect our clients success.
Pros
Awesome coworkers, relaxed dress code, bring dog to work, catered lunches, option to work remotely, benefit package is competitive and has improved over time
Blue Acorn is a great place to work!
Manager of Technical Account Managers (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 22, 2014
If you're interested in eCommerce and Optimization, Blue Acorn is the place you want to work. A producing company with a great culture. We're young and we're growing, but there's a great plan in place to manage us as we go.
Pros
catered lunches, kegerator, new office

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Acorn. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2