Blue Buffalo Employee Reviews

Wonderful company to work with.
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Throughtout the USAugust 12, 2016
I work as a Brand ambassador and Blue buffallo provides benfits such as allowance for food and reimbursement for adoptions. They provide support that most demo companies do not. One thing I enjoy is they have educational metting once every few months which keep you in the loop about changes in products and you get an opportunity to meet high ups. I would reommend working for this company to anyone.
Pros
Pet food allowance, Reimbursement for adoptions, tel a doc
Cons
Hour lunch includes drive to to other store
Independent work place talking with people about their pets.
Merchandising/Sales (Former Employee) –  Wilton, CTNovember 10, 2015
Love working independently with a great management team and good communication. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking with pet parents about their pets.
Pros
great benefits and hours
Cons
no breaks
Know Your Products
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 29, 2016
Working at Blue Buffalo was a first for me. It taught me to be more comfortable around different people.I truly enjoyed discussing opportunities and helpful tips/ ideas to other pet parents.
Great product - Lack of talent
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilton CtJuly 10, 2015
Founders/Originals are great. New management team is weak and socially awkward - in over their heads. Dogs are treated better than people. Finance group works in office 12 hour days. Inefficient and backwards. Company results are great yet bonus just over half target. Low paying and quick to let people go without developing them. Once originals leave God help them.
Pros
Casual environment. Great for dog owners - bring your dog to work.
Cons
No perks, summer hours, flex time, referral bonus, tuition reimbursement all looked down upon, No career advancement, No training, New management self centered
Enjoy my work but there is not enough help leaving me to work 7 days a week.
Production Scheduling Manager (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOFebruary 3, 2015
I start my day by updating production reports for the previous 24 hours of production and send them out to management. I conduct an 8am production meeting to review the production status and go over any concerns with the schedule. I work closely with purchasing and the production clerk to make sure we have all the required components for upcoming production. I get along with and work very well with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is that I end up working 7 days a week. The most enjoyable part of my job is learn more about SAP and using the MRP system to better plan and schedule production.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
no work life balance. working 7 days a week.
Perfect for a pet lover!
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houton,TX and Glendale, AZJanuary 21, 2013
I've been with the company for 5 years, came in as a well educated nutritionist with an extensive background in dog training, ,management and care. My Manager, in Houston has to be one of the best people I've ever worked with. When I moved she helped me transfer and has stayed in touch. It's a competitive field, the customers and their pets assure no two shifts are ever alike and seeing pets get healthy and happy on the product is very rewarding! Good hourly pay, flexible schedule and it's not a high pressure sales position, we are trained to HELP not to push customers like other companies, and the positive approach just feels good. Great company to work for I am hoping to advance and turn my PT job into a FT career!
Pros
great training and fun environment
Cons
no product discounts for employees
AWESOME Part time job
Pet Detective (Sales Representative) (Current Employee) –  INApril 15, 2014
Really great company. The products are top of the line and easy to talk about. You make your schedule in advance for the whole month. Its so easy. The report the hours online and get paid every week. The clients are the best part of the job, getting to pet and love on dogs and cats at work. You get the chance to make them healthier and live better which feels great at the end of the day. My manager is really great too; its nice cause she really loves her job too. She is quick to respond and always happy to help coach me along and give me ideas. I work by myself but the smart sessions are great... you get to work with teammates and share ideas. The other PDs are really fun and wish I could see them more often. The company does a great job putting things together. I only wish I could do it full-time! AND now there are benefits like 401K and pet adoption reimbursment.
Pros
pets - management - fun - rebates
Cons
only part-time hrs + limited advancdemnt
Wonderful Part-time work
Retail Manufacturer's Representative (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 20, 2013
Must love dogs! I enjoyed every moment of my time with Blue. My bosses were friendly and helpful and not overbearing. I always felt like the company was there to genuinely do good. A typical four hour shift consists of facing the product and then simply interacting with Pet Parents and sharing with them Blue's amazing product. You must seriously love animals to do this job, but if you do, it will make your work all the more enjoyable! There is nothing better than with gushing with people about their pets and hearing their stories. It was a perfect job to have when I was in college. The hours were very flexible and the bosses are typically very understanding that sometimes, life happens.
Pros
see many cool dogs, meet good people, good sales experience
Cons
only up to 20 hours a week, raises are few and far between.
Fun work enviroment,great product
Pet Detective (Former Employee) –  Mansfield OhioOctober 7, 2012
I enjoyed helping people find the right product for their special pet and helping pets live healthier lives. Five years ago,when Blue was a newer company, we had to know a lot about the ingredients, now, they dont want their reps to be very knowledgeable.Reps are there to sell food(no mattter what they say) but there are many restrictions on the way you are allowed to do so.
Policies changed often and without notice.
Employees are not valued by the company at all.
Has rude,poorly trained and disrespectful management.
Other pet food companies pay their reps more.
Blue Buffalo, who makes the product is a wonderful company, but Great Plains Leasing that runs the rep program, is a disapointment, in too many ways to list here.
Pet Detective can be a great fun little part time, short term job.Just dont take it too seriously.
Pros
work with great people. meet people and their pets.
Cons
every weekend, no benefits
Excellent Company
Pet Detective (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLOctober 2, 2015
Blue Buffalo cares about its employees. Great benefits even for Pet Detectives. They offer TeleDoc for the employee and pet insurance and 401K after 6 months. Good communication with employees.
Great environment, just not what I was led to expect.
Pet Nutritional Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJuly 19, 2013
Part time work that was made available Friday-Sunday. Did retail sales in pet supply stores (Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, etc.) and informed customers of Blue Buffalo products and benefits.
I learned that nutrition varies widely in the different pet food brands and how brands can manipulate ingredients by renaming them.
I personally, got along with my district manager while most had a hard time dealing with her. She comes off very blunt and pushy to store managers and customers. This is a reason why I decided to leave the company.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that not all stores have the same amount of foot traffic, so it's hard to stay busy over a period of time.
However, the most enjoyable part of the job was helping people to realize what they were feeding to their pets. As well as informing them to do their own research on the web and through other resources that can be easily obtained.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
no benefits and management
Deceptive smoke and mirrors
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 18, 2014
Working for the corporate office was like military boot camp. I was constantly harassed, and screamed at in this position by a senior level analyst. When brought up the issue to HR I was let go. They expect you to sit in your cube all day and not talk or contribute ideas. Because I was a younger girl I was constantly looked down upon and put in uncomfortable situations, management is never around to prevent things from happening. I would not recommend this company for anyone young who is trying to grow their career
Pros
bring your dog to work when management is gone.
Cons
no management
Enjoyed promoting a healthy pet food alternative
Sales Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAOctober 12, 2015
My work with Blue Buffalo began when the company was in its infancy and I had the opportunity to watch it grow. My position of promoting the product in pet stores provided me with the opportunity to interact with other pet owners and offer a product that I believe in as well as feed to my own pets. I had to end my employment with Blue Buffalo as their policies for part-time workers changed which created schedule conflicts with my full-time job.
Not a Career
Pet Detective (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 7, 2015
While the customers were wonderful and the product is actually a good one everything else really sucked about this job.

It was pretty hard to ever contact management and by management I mean ONE person directly above you, you could literally not ever contact anyone else within this company. The hours were weekend only so not really anything to live off of. No benefits and no real discount on the products either.

If a store you are stationed in doesn't like you then watch out because they will file bogus reports weekly and your "boss" wont properly check in to it. For example I was accused of harassment and throwing things, I am a small female who was stationed in a store of males, there are cameras and proof of the lie, I still got in trouble. So watch out.

If you like this food/company then don't work for them because it will soil that that. Also if you don't like being yelled at about prices you have no control over i suggest staying away, that was the only thing I hated about the customers was the name calling and yelling about the price of the food even though they knew I had nothing to do with it.

there's no benefits and the pay is minimal at best, you're on your feet and there are no breaks or co-workers, there's is practically zero room for advancement, also the stores i.e Petco and Petsmart tend to treat you pretty poorly because you are essentially "competition" they will yell at you and walk all over you and call your food garbage right in front of you and you cant do anything but smile. its not a fun job it sucked, id rather buy the food then sell it
  more... for sure.  less
Pros
you meet some great pet parents
Cons
literally everything else
Blue Buffalo is fantastic
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Falmouth, MAJanuary 6, 2016
Everything is great, but limited hours are available. Great product, and very easy to sell. It is a quality dog and cat food.
Great Company Great Product
Product Sales Specialist (Pet Detective) (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek MINovember 5, 2014
You are provided with a great amount of training resources both in person and online. The management has a friendly and communicative approach. The ability to set your own schedule is absolutely amazing. A great opportunity for pet lovers to share a great product with consumers.
Pros
set your own schedule
Cons
unclear about advancement opportunities
By far the best leadership/management I have encountered.
Part Time Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilton, CTJanuary 23, 2015
This company is passionate not only about their pet parents/customers, but truly take pride in their employees. I only work their part time, and the way they treat their employees is impressive.
A typical day at work is the manager will coach employee on ways to develop their communication skills if needed and is always available if needed. We work independently and most communication is via email and Internet, so we are trusted employees who work alone in a retail store. The hardest part of the job for me is not having an opening to come on board full time. The most enjoyable part of the job are the pet parents and their pets. I absolutely love animals and love the products we demo.
Pros
employee treatment, benefits, and the people we serve
Cons
no full time opportunity for product specialists
I really enjoyed working for Blue Buffalo.
In-store Sales Rep, "Pet Detective" (Former Employee) –  Wilton, CAJuly 20, 2015
I really enjoyed talking to pet store customers about their pets, then telling them about the high quality Blue Buffalo pet products and which one would be best for their pet. I learned that I can succeed in a sales type job and that I liked it. My supervisors were wonderful. They would evaluate my sales pitch, then give me positive and helpful criticism. I only met my co-workers at the quarterly meetings, but they seemed nice. The hardest part of the job was selling some of the newer products. I had no trouble with selling the pet food. The best part of the job was that I got to talk to so many people about their pets.
Pros
I got rebates on the Blue Buffalo pet food that I purchased.
Cons
I had to walk for 4 hours on cement floors of the pet stores. It's hard on the feet.
Flexible scheduling, good hourly pay for part-time work, great benefits
Pet Detective (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2015
Great opportunity to put sales and a passion for animals together in one job. Some days are fast paced, others are slower. Fun job with the perks of talking to many different people and meeting many different pets. Good hourly pay.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Standing for long periods of time, may have to drive distances of up to 25 miles to get to stores.
A great company that helps its employees sell a great product.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 10, 2012
Blue Buffalo was an ideal company for people looking for part-time weekend work. The compensation is competitive and there are no problems with getting paid as long as you're responsible enough to track your own personal schedules and payroll.

2.8