Blue Buffalo Employee Reviews

Fun and rewarding job
Lead Sale Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2016
I enjoy the position. find it very rewarding. Great for animal lovers. No opportunity for advancement. Immediate Management very supportive and great to work for. Management does a fantastic job.
Unprofessional
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  No whereNovember 6, 2016
I have applied two times for a position and both times had someone reach out via email and scheduled a pre-set appointment only to wait around and have them not call me. If your going to set a phone interview up atleast have the decency to call them or reach out via email if your no longer interested. This just shows what type of company they are and the sad part is my pets only eat Blue products but they seem to not care about the image they send out to the public. They want a Brand Ambassador but they do a poor job in promoting themselves as a good employer. Very disappointed in wasting my time in this company.
Pros
Cons
Waste of time
Wonderful company to work with.
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Throughtout the USAugust 12, 2016
I work as a Brand ambassador and Blue buffallo provides benfits such as allowance for food and reimbursement for adoptions. They provide support that most demo companies do not. One thing I enjoy is they have educational metting once every few months which keep you in the loop about changes in products and you get an opportunity to meet high ups. I would reommend working for this company to anyone.
Pros
Pet food allowance, Reimbursement for adoptions, tel a doc
Cons
Hour lunch includes drive to to other store
Independent work place talking with people about their pets.
Merchandising/Sales (Former Employee) –  Wilton, CTNovember 10, 2015
Love working independently with a great management team and good communication. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking with pet parents about their pets.
Pros
great benefits and hours
Cons
no breaks
Enjoy my work but there is not enough help leaving me to work 7 days a week.
Production Scheduling Manager (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOFebruary 3, 2015
I start my day by updating production reports for the previous 24 hours of production and send them out to management. I conduct an 8am production meeting to review the production status and go over any concerns with the schedule. I work closely with purchasing and the production clerk to make sure we have all the required components for upcoming production. I get along with and work very well with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is that I end up working 7 days a week. The most enjoyable part of my job is learn more about SAP and using the MRP system to better plan and schedule production.
Pros
Good Pay and Benefits
Cons
No Work Life balance. Working 7 days a week.
Blue Buffalo
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WANovember 1, 2016
Was working as a rep for the best dog food in the world. I love the life source bits. Very healthy for a needy animal with allergies. Try for your doggy.
Know Your Products
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 29, 2016
Working at Blue Buffalo was a first for me. It taught me to be more comfortable around different people.I truly enjoyed discussing opportunities and helpful tips/ ideas to other pet parents.
Wonderful Part-time work
Retail Manufacturer's Representative (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 20, 2013
Must love dogs! I enjoyed every moment of my time with Blue. My bosses were friendly and helpful and not overbearing. I always felt like the company was there to genuinely do good. A typical four hour shift consists of facing the product and then simply interacting with Pet Parents and sharing with them Blue's amazing product. You must seriously love animals to do this job, but if you do, it will make your work all the more enjoyable! There is nothing better than with gushing with people about their pets and hearing their stories. It was a perfect job to have when I was in college. The hours were very flexible and the bosses are typically very understanding that sometimes, life happens.
Pros
see many cool dogs, meet good people, good sales experience
Cons
only up to 20 hours a week, raises are few and far between.
By far the best leadership/management I have encountered.
Part Time Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilton, CTJanuary 23, 2015
This company is passionate not only about their pet parents/customers, but truly take pride in their employees. I only work their part time, and the way they treat their employees is impressive.
A typical day at work is the manager will coach employee on ways to develop their communication skills if needed and is always available if needed. We work independently and most communication is via email and Internet, so we are trusted employees who work alone in a retail store. The hardest part of the job for me is not having an opening to come on board full time. The most enjoyable part of the job are the pet parents and their pets. I absolutely love animals and love the products we demo.
Pros
Employee treatment, benefits, and the people we serve
Cons
No full time opportunity for Product Specialists
AWESOME Part time job
Pet Detective (Sales Representative) (Current Employee) –  INApril 15, 2014
Really great company. The products are top of the line and easy to talk about. You make your schedule in advance for the whole month. Its so easy. The report the hours online and get paid every week. The clients are the best part of the job, getting to pet and love on dogs and cats at work. You get the chance to make them healthier and live better which feels great at the end of the day. My manager is really great too; its nice cause she really loves her job too. She is quick to respond and always happy to help coach me along and give me ideas. I work by myself but the smart sessions are great... you get to work with teammates and share ideas. The other PDs are really fun and wish I could see them more often. The company does a great job putting things together. I only wish I could do it full-time! AND now there are benefits like 401K and pet adoption reimbursment.
Pros
pets - management - fun - rebates
Cons
only part-time hrs + limited advancdemnt

Want to know more about Blue Buffalo?

Ask a question
Fun work enviroment,great product
Pet Detective (Former Employee) –  Mansfield OhioOctober 7, 2012
I enjoyed helping people find the right product for their special pet and helping pets live healthier lives. Five years ago,when Blue was a newer company, we had to know a lot about the ingredients, now, they dont want their reps to be very knowledgeable.Reps are there to sell food(no mattter what they say) but there are many restrictions on the way you are allowed to do so.
Policies changed often and without notice.
Employees are not valued by the company at all.
Has rude,poorly trained and disrespectful management.
Other pet food companies pay their reps more.
Blue Buffalo, who makes the product is a wonderful company, but Great Plains Leasing that runs the rep program, is a disapointment, in too many ways to list here.
Pet Detective can be a great fun little part time, short term job.Just dont take it too seriously.
Pros
work with great people. meet people and their pets.
Cons
every weekend, no benefits
Excellent Company
Pet Detective (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLOctober 2, 2015
Blue Buffalo cares about its employees. Great benefits even for Pet Detectives. They offer TeleDoc for the employee and pet insurance and 401K after 6 months. Good communication with employees.
Great environment, just not what I was led to expect.
Pet Nutritional Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJuly 19, 2013
Part time work that was made available Friday-Sunday. Did retail sales in pet supply stores (Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, etc.) and informed customers of Blue Buffalo products and benefits.
I learned that nutrition varies widely in the different pet food brands and how brands can manipulate ingredients by renaming them.
I personally, got along with my district manager while most had a hard time dealing with her. She comes off very blunt and pushy to store managers and customers. This is a reason why I decided to leave the company.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that not all stores have the same amount of foot traffic, so it's hard to stay busy over a period of time.
However, the most enjoyable part of the job was helping people to realize what they were feeding to their pets. As well as informing them to do their own research on the web and through other resources that can be easily obtained.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
No benefits and management
I love my job
Vendor Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2012
Go to pet supply stores and educate consumers on the benefits of our pet food. Approach customers to establish pet parent relationships with them, give vendor demonstrations and presentations in an effort to get them and their families to switch to our food.
I've learned so much about pet nutrition and the plentiful benefits of feeding natural, holistic diets like Blue. The hardest part of this job is restraining from judging people for feeding less premium foods.
This food has changed my dogs' lives and I couldn't be happier about that
Pros
great pay, great hours, great people, pets, paid weekly, food rebates
Cons
low hours, weekends only
Enjoy being able to educate Pet Parents about my products.
Part time Pet Detective (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 31, 2014
I visit various stores in my area to promote Blue Buffalo products/ I discuss with the pet parent the benefits of feeding their fur babies Blue Buffalo Dog or Cat Food.
I also promote Blue Buffalo cat litter which is made from a natural product.
I face shelves and make sure that the product is in line with the proper SKU #. I also help the stores with keeping the products rotated to avoid out dated products.
Pros
Fun job!
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Part-Time Job
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  OhioApril 10, 2013
I enjoy this company. I have a wonderful supervisor. She responds promptly to issues or concerns and is very positive. My sales goals are realistic. I am a full-time student and this is a great job for me.
Pros
discounts on dog food flexible schedule
Cons
little to no room for advancement and no benefits
A great company that helps its employees sell a great product.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 10, 2012
Blue Buffalo was an ideal company for people looking for part-time weekend work. The compensation is competitive and there are no problems with getting paid as long as you're responsible enough to track your own personal schedules and payroll.
Great product - Lack of talent
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilton CtJuly 10, 2015
Founders/Originals are great. New management team is weak and socially awkward - in over their heads. Dogs are treated better than people. Finance group works in office 12 hour days. Inefficient and backwards. Company results are great yet bonus just over half target. Low paying and quick to let people go without developing them. Once originals leave God help them.
Pros
Casual environment. Great for dog owners - bring your dog to work.
Cons
No perks, summer hours, flex time, referral bonus, tuition reimbursement all looked down upon, No career advancement, No training, New management self centered
Fun part-time empolyment must love animals
Pet Decective / sales rep (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 25, 2013
I've worked for Blue for a couple of months now and I truly love this job. I'm aparently one of the lucky emplyoees with a great DM and I'm good at what I do. There are some issues that should be addressed as the way we track what hours we work. This is done on Sunday and can take up to an hour. Tracking new Blue feeders is fine but we have a quota to make on approaches which is easy. It is not easy changing someones mind to purchase a high quality ( Blue is a very good feed) but costly food. I drive an hour on Sat. to work at two stores and get no commensation for my time, milage or working over and we are the lowest paid reps out there. Like a $2.00 - $3.00 difference. That's a lot of money part-time, full-time what ever. They are the number one selling food but pay the least????Also, as reps also have way more to do then the other pet food reps. I love this job because I do know Blue is a very good food and talking with people that own pets is fun and not boring, but I'm finding the money issue a challange to deal with. I work twice as hard as the other reps for other pet food companies and get paid up to $4.00 less!!! That is not right. I guess I should be grateful I have a job!!
Pros
selling a great product and talking with pet parents. $20.00 rebate per month
Cons
low pay compared to other par-time reps, no compensationfor milage or working over
Not a Career
Pet Detective (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 7, 2015
While the customers were wonderful and the product is actually a good one everything else really sucked about this job.

It was pretty hard to ever contact management and by management I mean ONE person directly above you, you could literally not ever contact anyone else within this company. The hours were weekend only so not really anything to live off of. No benefits and no real discount on the products either.

If a store you are stationed in doesn't like you then watch out because they will file bogus reports weekly and your "boss" wont properly check in to it. For example I was accused of harassment and throwing things, I am a small female who was stationed in a store of males, there are cameras and proof of the lie, I still got in trouble. So watch out.

If you like this food/company then don't work for them because it will soil that that. Also if you don't like being yelled at about prices you have no control over i suggest staying away, that was the only thing I hated about the customers was the name calling and yelling about the price of the food even though they knew I had nothing to do with it.

there's no benefits and the pay is minimal at best, you're on your feet and there are no breaks or co-workers, there's is practically zero room for advancement, also the stores i.e Petco and Petsmart tend to treat you pretty poorly because you are essentially "competition" they will yell at you and walk all over you and call your food garbage right in front of you and you cant do anything but smile. its not a fun job it sucked, id rather buy the food then sell it
  more... for sure.  less
Pros
you meet some great pet parents
Cons
literally everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Buffalo. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8