Blue Buffalo

Blue Buffalo Employee Reviews

I really enjoyed working for Blue Buffalo.
In-store Sales Rep, "Pet Detective" (Former Employee), Wilton, CAJuly 20, 2015
Pros: I got rebates on the Blue Buffalo pet food that I purchased.
Cons: I had to walk for 4 hours on cement floors of the pet stores. It's hard on the feet.
I really enjoyed talking to pet store customers about their pets, then telling them about the high quality Blue Buffalo pet products and which one would be best for their pet. I learned that I can succeed in a sales type job and that I liked it. My supervisors were wonderful. They would evaluate my sales pitch, then give me positive and helpful criticism. I only met my co-workers at the quarterly meetings, but they seemed nice. The hardest part of the job was selling some of the newer products. I had no trouble with selling the pet food. The best part of the job was that I got to talk to so many people about their pets.
Great product - Lack of talent
Manager (Current Employee), Wilton CtJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Casual environment. Great for dog owners - bring your dog to work.
Cons: No perks, summer hours, flex time, referral bonus, tuition reimbursement all looked down upon, No career advancement, No training, New management self centered
Founders/Originals are great. New management team is weak and socially awkward - in over their heads. Dogs are treated better than people. Finance group works in office 12 hour days. Inefficient and backwards. Company results are great yet bonus just over half target. Low paying and quick to let people go without developing them. Once originals leave God help them.
it's just a part time job. NO advancements or promise career
Pet Detective (Former Employee), WAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: quick to get hired, $40 pet food reinbursment, independent job
Cons: being in your feet, weekend job, temporary since money is crucial
I worked for the company almost a year. As any company, it has good and the bad sides. Now, you start with 8 hrs per week, however that could increase if manager likes you.Only weekends, so you don't have a life right there, however the weekends is where they make more money or expect more sales of you. Even they said sales experience isn't necessary, believe me! it is important! you have to start conversation with strangers who shop for their pets, know what their pets like, hear a little story of them and then boom! introduce their products, so yeah! it's definitely sells important.. It will be nice if they pay you per sale as well (I'd have made quite of money there).. but no... hourly is enough for them.
So, not career in this type of job, yes ! you have certain benefits but nothing compared to a FT job. It's a good experience if you need money quickly every week and loved pets (plus). Sometimes it's so slow that you don't know what to do since there is no customer, who to talk.. but you have to kill the time in some way... walking all the store and try to find a customer. It's a kind of lonely job but independent if you like that. Ah! you are in charge to submit your sales every week and look for the manager to sign up when you are done with te shift. Be on your feet all the time except when you go bathroom or take a break.
So there you got it! recommendable for spouses (mostly female) or elderly people (you see quite of them on meetings), student perhaps, but not for people who need a stable income. Whatever you make it the best or worst, it's up to you! Overall, you learned something of it. I did!
Not a Career
Pet Detective (Former Employee), Mesa, AZMarch 7, 2015
Pros: you meet some great pet parents
Cons: literally everything else
While the customers were wonderful and the product is actually a good one everything else really sucked about this job.

It was pretty hard to ever contact management and by management I mean ONE person directly above you, you could literally not ever contact anyone else within this company. The hours were weekend only so not really anything to live off of. No benefits and no real discount on the products either.

If a store you are stationed in doesn't like you then watch out because they will file bogus reports weekly and your "boss" wont properly check in to it. For example I was accused of harassment and throwing things, I am a small female who was stationed in a store of males, there are cameras and proof of the lie, I still got in trouble. So watch out.

If you like this food/company then don't work for them because it will soil that that. Also if you don't like being yelled at about prices you have no control over i suggest staying away, that was the only thing I hated about the customers was the name calling and yelling about the price of the food even though they knew I had nothing to do with it.

there's no benefits and the pay is minimal at best, you're on your feet and there are no breaks or co-workers, there's is practically zero room for advancement, also the stores i.e Petco and Petsmart tend to treat you pretty poorly because you are essentially "competition" they will yell at you and walk all over you and call your food garbage right in front of you and you cant do anything but smile. its not a fun job it sucked, id rather buy the food then sell it for sure.
Fun independent sales
Pet Detective (Current Employee), Springfield, ILMarch 4, 2015
Pros: pet food discounts
Cons: weekend hours only
The company prides itself on building relationships with clients rather than pushing sales. If you like animals, or have them yourself, this is a great job for you. There are only part-time weekend hours so it is a great job for a student or someone who needs a little extra monetary boost.
Enjoy my work but there is not enough help leaving me to work 7 days a week.
Production Scheduling Manager (Current Employee), Joplin, MOFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: no work life balance. working 7 days a week.
I start my day by updating production reports for the previous 24 hours of production and send them out to management. I conduct an 8am production meeting to review the production status and go over any concerns with the schedule. I work closely with purchasing and the production clerk to make sure we have all the required components for upcoming production. I get along with and work very well with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is that I end up working 7 days a week. The most enjoyable part of my job is learn more about SAP and using the MRP system to better plan and schedule production.
By far the best leadership/management I have encountered.
Part Time Product Specialist (Current Employee), Wilton, CTJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: employee treatment, benefits, and the people we serve
Cons: no full time opportunity for product specialists
This company is passionate not only about their pet parents/customers, but truly take pride in their employees. I only work their part time, and the way they treat their employees is impressive.
A typical day at work is the manager will coach employee on ways to develop their communication skills if needed and is always available if needed. We work independently and most communication is via email and Internet, so we are trusted employees who work alone in a retail store. The hardest part of the job for me is not having an opening to come on board full time. The most enjoyable part of the job are the pet parents and their pets. I absolutely love animals and love the products we demo.
Enjoy being able to educate Pet Parents about my products.
Part time Pet Detective (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 31, 2014
Pros: fun job!
Cons: not enough hours
I visit various stores in my area to promote Blue Buffalo products/ I discuss with the pet parent the benefits of feeding their fur babies Blue Buffalo Dog or Cat Food.
I also promote Blue Buffalo cat litter which is made from a natural product.
I face shelves and make sure that the product is in line with the proper SKU #. I also help the stores with keeping the products rotated to avoid out dated products.
First time being a Sales Rep/ Vender for this company. I grew close with customers returning to each three store locations in Brandon, FL.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Brandon, FLDecember 5, 2014
Pros: best job yet! close with regular cutomers
Cons: no cupons
A typical day at work: I show up 30 minutes early to greet customers; even though I didn't have to. Then once I logged into work after, I began to organize the shelves that has dog/cat food, treats and litter.

I've learned and study each product. I did not just bragged or lied about this product. I took the time to see if Blue Buffalo was the number one out of different other products. I grew close to customers and started having them return.

My hiring manager was horrible about communication and explaining about how we promote/sell our products. Eventually I contact someone higher than his title. I was very professional with the VP. My next manager was fantastic! He gave me examples and how to sell our merchandizes on a whole other level !

Hardest part of the job was to know and memorize why the product was number one in the dog/cat food area in the U.S.

Part of my job that enjoyably was adding to my resume for my Major ( Vet Technician ). However, I am changing my Major to Masters in computer science. I'm very intelligent at electronics and computers.
Management out of touch with the employees
Pet Detective (Former Employee), AtlantaNovember 19, 2014
I worked for Blue for and I truly enjoyed interacting with pet parents. However, my regional manager was horrible.
great opportunity's
Pet Detective (Current Employee), Glen Cove, NYNovember 18, 2014
Pros: the pay, presentations, the pets!, great staff meetings
Cons: standing, no real contact, everything's online
learn different things about animals, get to meet very nice people who care a value pets just as much as me. and this company treats their employees very above average
Great Company Great Product
Product Sales Specialist (Pet Detective) (Current Employee), Battle Creek MINovember 5, 2014
Pros: set your own schedule
Cons: unclear about advancement opportunities
You are provided with a great amount of training resources both in person and online. The management has a friendly and communicative approach. The ability to set your own schedule is absolutely amazing. A great opportunity for pet lovers to share a great product with consumers.
Exciting chance to interact with people
Pet Detective (Current Employee), Statesboro, GAOctober 29, 2014
Its a great job! I only wish I could get paid more and get more hours!
Promoting dog and cat food while answering questions
Service Representative (Current Employee), variedOctober 6, 2014
The involves standing in different stores and trying to promote Blue Buffalo food, litter, and treats. I talk to the pet parents and recommend a product that I think will work best for them. I also answer questions about different merchandise in the store. I've learned different techniques for approaching different people and I've learned when to back away. The hardest part job is when the store is slow and there's no one to talk you. But the most enjoyable is when I'm able to help a pet parent find the perfect food to help their pet.
Pet Detective
Manufacturer's Representative (Current Employee), Wantagh, NYSeptember 15, 2014
excellent part-time job for pet lovers. Flexible scheduling. Great products.
Fun and inpirational
PRODUCT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Carrollton, GaSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: very flexable
Cons: no breaks
Very fun job. I get to talk to people about their pets, and offer products to help their pets. The hardest part of the job is remembering all the products. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk with people about their pets, and getting to hear their stories.
productive and friendly
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 18, 2014
Very fast paced and alot to leatrn but very fun to work with the variety of peopl and the skills i got to deal with people was awesome
Deceptive smoke and mirrors
Analyst (Former Employee), Glendale, AZAugust 18, 2014
Pros: bring your dog to work when management is gone.
Cons: no management
Working for the corporate office was like military boot camp. I was constantly harassed, and screamed at in this position by a senior level analyst. When brought up the issue to HR I was let go. They expect you to sit in your cube all day and not talk or contribute ideas. Because I was a younger girl I was constantly looked down upon and put in uncomfortable situations, management is never around to prevent things from happening. I would not recommend this company for anyone young who is trying to grow their career
Great family company.
"Pet detective" Product representative (Current Employee), Whittier, CAAugust 11, 2014
Pros: meeting other pet parents
Cons: only a part time job
Not only am I passionate about their pet food, the company is awesome as well. Great pet parent perks, and nice people.
Great company with great perks
Pet Nutrition Specialist (Current Employee), Los Angeles CountyJuly 24, 2014
Pros: free pet food and other perks
Cons: only part time
The job is great. Get to go to pet stores and interact with pets and pet parents. The hours are flexible as well. The only down fall is it is only part time.
Headquarters