Blue Buffalo Employee Reviews in United States

Perfect for a pet lover!
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houton,TX and Glendale, AZJanuary 21, 2013
I've been with the company for 5 years, came in as a well educated nutritionist with an extensive background in dog training, ,management and care. My Manager, in Houston has to be one of the best people I've ever worked with. When I moved she helped me transfer and has stayed in touch. It's a competitive field, the customers and their pets assure no two shifts are ever alike and seeing pets get healthy and happy on the product is very rewarding! Good hourly pay, flexible schedule and it's not a high pressure sales position, we are trained to HELP not to push customers like other companies, and the positive approach just feels good. Great company to work for I am hoping to advance and turn my PT job into a FT career!
Pros
great training and fun environment
Cons
no product discounts for employees
Friendly and relaxed atmosphere
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 4, 2012
Growing company with excellent benefits. Dealing with Pet Parents provides for an entertaining and interesting environment.
Pros
flexiblity and benefits
Cons
angry customers.
Pet Dectective
Product Specialist/Pet Detective (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 22, 2014
The Job is an OK job if you have nothing to do, however DO NOT look into advancing with this position. They have strict guidelines on how they want you to sell the food by calling it, "Honor the Bond". I only do this when the Manager comes around to give you an evaluation, as it JUST does not work... I made the Blue Elite Award without the Honor the Bond technique. That is, talking to your customers like a NORMAL person and not like some Robot.

This position with Blue is a "Dead End" job. It will not go anywhere. How do I know this... Last year, they had a Territorial Demo Managers' position open, and I applied. ONLY to find out from my NEW Demo Manager telling me how he was hired without applying. Of course, he didn't know I had applied for the position... The position was listed on Monster.

The hours are undependable, and DO NOT get use to the same amount of hours each week. They will take them away from you without notice. The Max hours you can achieve with this Company is 20 hours.

The Positive side of Blue is, they do give you $40 each month towards any of their products. They now have a 401K and they help pay for Pet Insurance. I stay with them, even as I write this ONLY for the benefits, as I do not see any Future with this Company, and the turnover is high. It is great for those who wants some extra funds. Also, you must work at least one shift on a weekend....
Pros
pay for your dog/cat food each month
Cons
the hours are undependable. they can add or take away hours on a moments notice.
good job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 28, 2013
You make your own schedule, some travel. Compensation was okay, did not like the fact you had to fax a log to show your hours and have someone sign off on it at the location you were working at.
Nice pt job
PT Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 25, 2012
Nice pay and benefits for PT job, Get to meet pet parents and large variety of cats and dogs through job. Stand for 4 hour shifts but keep busy through conversations with pet parents.
Pros
flexible schedule
Ideal part time job
PET DETECTIVE (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAJanuary 31, 2013
This job is flexible enough for the average SAHM, retiree, and college student
Pros
pay
Cons
no benefits
Deceptive smoke and mirrors
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 18, 2014
Working for the corporate office was like military boot camp. I was constantly harassed, and screamed at in this position by a senior level analyst. When brought up the issue to HR I was let go. They expect you to sit in your cube all day and not talk or contribute ideas. Because I was a younger girl I was constantly looked down upon and put in uncomfortable situations, management is never around to prevent things from happening. I would not recommend this company for anyone young who is trying to grow their career
Pros
bring your dog to work when management is gone.
Cons
no management
Great Company Great Product
Product Sales Specialist (Pet Detective) (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek MINovember 5, 2014
You are provided with a great amount of training resources both in person and online. The management has a friendly and communicative approach. The ability to set your own schedule is absolutely amazing. A great opportunity for pet lovers to share a great product with consumers.
Pros
set your own schedule
Cons
unclear about advancement opportunities
I do not recommend it
Pet Detective (Former Employee) –  PittsburghMarch 4, 2013
I worked for Blue Buffalo for several months while unemployed. I received a job offer for full time employment and informed my supervisor (who I never met or talked to - only texts and emails) that I was leaving the company.

One year later, I was denied my unemployment due to one month $400 job at Blue Buffalo - they claimed I never told them I was quitting.

Shaky company and poor management - very little training and no positive feedback and no "face time" with management.
Pros
good product
Cons
high turnover rate, management is spiteful if you want to leave, they have such a hard time filling the positions.
Not Honest Management
Pet Detective (Former Employee) –  NOT AVAIALBLEJune 18, 2013
I was hired for this company recently with no discussion that sales was a priority. No mention that I had to speak to a certain number of customer in a set time period. Now have received an nasty email wanting to discuss my low numbers. Very disappointed in a company who has managers that can't convey all the required details when discussing hiring you, but will after the fact, then you feel stuck. Soon as I can, will find another part time, job, not worth the being mislead. HORRIBLE REGIONAL MANAGERS!
Pros
Great speaking to people about their pets
Unprofessional and Emotional Regional Manager
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2012
I gave a 2 week notice, and my Regional Manager asked me to work an additional 2 weeks. I worked the additional 2 weeks for her. I was moving back to my home which was a 2 day drive, but my Regionar Manager agreed that she would help me transfer with Blue Buffalo, so that I could be a Pet Detective back at home when I arrived. It appears that she has given me a bad reference, and I'm not sure as to why?! I have excellent references and reviews from ALL of the Petsmart and Petco stores that I worked at. In fact, I was offered full time employment from 4 of the stores! I emailed the Corporate office regarding the situation and challenge I had with this, and wad completely ignored.
Not worth it
Pet Detective (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SC areaJanuary 5, 2014
I worked for Blue Buffalo for a little under 3 months and it's not worth it. My interview was in a hotel lobby. My "training" was 2 hours in a petsmart telling me about the food and that it was not a sales job. I was to be friendly with costumers and just be social. I felt like an outsider to the store employees. Then 2 months in I received an email saying my job was terminated and I was not to contact the stores I worked at to find out why. Pay is very good, but communication with my manager who lived out of the state and came maybe one weekend every couple months along with the fact that you have to make your schedule a month and a half in advance make it not worth it. I was really disappointed. I thought it would be a cool fun way for me to make a little extra money and get to hang out with pets bc I love animals but overall this job wasn't worth the headache
Pros
pay, work with animals
Cons
scheduling, communication
Like the Brand, but the Regional Manager in Chicago was horrible!
sales (Former Employee) –  cchicagoJuly 29, 2013
interviewed for position on phone first...she told me she was eating a cookie (very professional) I had to wait until she finished to start conversation. During the phone interview I was told to wear a blue shirt and bring Id and voided check at our meeting. When I did meet her I was interviewed in an aisle at the store. It was the worst interview I have ever experienced! I was shocked when I saw her. She looked a mess. She took me straight to the dog food, then the cat section and said I would only be selling cat food. It was like pulling teeth to get any information out of her. Regardless, one would expect some sort of professionalism from a Regional Manager in any situation.
Cons
poor pay!
Promoting dog and cat food while answering questions
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  variedOctober 6, 2014
The involves standing in different stores and trying to promote Blue Buffalo food, litter, and treats. I talk to the pet parents and recommend a product that I think will work best for them. I also answer questions about different merchandise in the store. I've learned different techniques for approaching different people and I've learned when to back away. The hardest part job is when the store is slow and there's no one to talk you. But the most enjoyable is when I'm able to help a pet parent find the perfect food to help their pet.
I was terminated by email without being given a reason
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CaJune 29, 2012
I was hired as sales representative in October, 2009, and worked until now in north county, San Diego. On Monday, June 25, I emailed my supervisor, Lindsey, because I had not received my work schedule for July. I received a two sentence email advising me that "As of July 1st, we will not need your services anymore. Thank you for your service and best of luck to you in the future."

Until this email, I had no idea that I was in danger of being terminated. In the two and one half years that I worked for Blue Buffalo, I was a top producing sales person, having sold over 6,300 bags of pet food. I have also won many awards as a top producing sales person for Blue while missing only one shift because of sickness. I still have not been officially contacted and given a reason for my termination.
Pros
i loved the product and was passionate about selling it.
Cons
imposssibly rude and woefully under-trained supervisor
Overall a fun job but could have used a change of location.
Pet Detective (Spokesperson) (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 29, 2013
It was fun to be working at pet stores and see animals. All shifts were four hours long and only on the weekends. I liked my manager and she couched me a few times. My job was to talk to customers, it became easier to talk to people. The downside was that after a few weeks I'd always see the same people (couldn't sell more products). I never met other co-workers because we worked alone, I think it would be better if there was another person there. The best part is I had a good base pay, but over-time if I was doing a good job it would continue to rise.
Pros
set schedule, coaching
Cons
working completly alone, long drive for few hours
Great company to work for if you like pets
Pet Detective (Current Employee) –  Northglenn, COAugust 17, 2012
If you're self motivated and can manage yourself (for the most part) this a good job to have. Only being allowed to work so many hours/week kind of sucks, but it's a good part time job. I get to talk to people about their pets all day and help them live happy, healthy, long lives.
Pros
pets
Cons
pay, little chance for advancement
Fun independent sales
Pet Detective (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 4, 2015
The company prides itself on building relationships with clients rather than pushing sales. If you like animals, or have them yourself, this is a great job for you. There are only part-time weekend hours so it is a great job for a student or someone who needs a little extra monetary boost.
Pros
pet food discounts
Cons
weekend hours only
Not very good
pet detective (Current Employee) –  rochester hills miDecember 15, 2013
Although I love the job itself, my manager is lazy and uncommunicative. I have to turn in my schedule a month and a half in advance, and if anything comes up, or if I get sick (I actually have had pneumonia but my manager never answered her phone for me to call out, or responded to emails when I sent her info from my doctor) and was expected to show up for work. I was barely trained, I was interviewed in the middle of a pet store, and was told that it wasn't a "sales job" my job was to just connect with pet parents. I was told I was needed to switch stores for my Sunday shift and was never given the information, it's been almost three weeks since then and haven't heard a single word from my manager.
Pros
good product
Cons
manager
Take the job only if you are desperate
Flunky (Former Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLMarch 4, 2013
Pompous area supervisor played the waiting game and took his royal time to make a decision. Met for interview and then for in-store training. Was handed a pile of papers and then started the next day. It wasn't until I had completed one day and was getting ready to go to work the next day that I saw the unrealistic sales goals that he didn't even have the guts to discuss!
In a small store, 4 sales an hour is ridiculous!
I like pets and like speaking with people, but in a small store with the store manager intercepting the majority of the clientele and selling his "favorites" or people knowing exactly what they want and not wanting to have their time wasted, it is impossible to do what this co. requests.
Also, they deny any claims of contaminated food, although there have been news reports of said contamination!
In order to have a clear conscience, decided couldn't do what they asked.
Pros
none except perhaps receiving free dog food and coupons
Cons
everything else!

2.8