Blue Buffalo

Blue Buffalo Employer Reviews

Not worth it
Pet Detective (Former Employee), Charleston, SC areaJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: pay, work with animals
Cons: scheduling, communication
I worked for Blue Buffalo for a little under 3 months and it's not worth it. My interview was in a hotel lobby. My "training" was 2 hours in a petsmart telling me about the food and that it was not a sales job. I was to be friendly with costumers and just be social. I felt like an outsider to the store employees. Then 2 months in I received an email – more... saying my job was terminated and I was not to contact the stores I worked at to find out why. Pay is very good, but communication with my manager who lived out of the state and came maybe one weekend every couple months along with the fact that you have to make your schedule a month and a half in advance make it not worth it. I was really disappointed. I thought it would be a cool fun way for me to make a little extra money and get to hang out with pets bc I love animals but overall this job wasn't worth the headache – less
Not very good
pet detective (Current Employee), rochester hills miDecember 15, 2013
Pros: good product
Cons: manager
Although I love the job itself, my manager is lazy and uncommunicative. I have to turn in my schedule a month and a half in advance, and if anything comes up, or if I get sick (I actually have had pneumonia but my manager never answered her phone for me to call out, or responded to emails when I sent her info from my doctor) and was expected to show – more... up for work. I was barely trained, I was interviewed in the middle of a pet store, and was told that it wasn't a "sales job" my job was to just connect with pet parents. I was told I was needed to switch stores for my Sunday shift and was never given the information, it's been almost three weeks since then and haven't heard a single word from my manager. – less
Phenomenal Company, Great Job, Wonderful Boss
Product Specialist/Pet Detective (Current Employee), Muncie, INNovember 14, 2013
Pros: working with pets, meeting amazing people, the hours, the pay, my boss
Cons: working by yourself
I love my job and have been doing it since Feb. 2013 and hopefully for a while longer. I currently work usually 16 (sometimes 20) hours a week at several locations. The pet parents couldn't be friendlier, the store employees and managers couldn't be more helpful and my boss/Regional Demonstrations Manager is always available for any questions, concerns – more... or training I have or may need.
I can help choose my hours or any time off when it is needed, the pay is great versus other part-time jobs and it is really fun getting to work alongside pets. I also learned everything really quickly from my training sessions, quarterly meetings and manual. I do not come from a sales background, but I am a sociable person. If you get along with people, and especially pets, this is a great job.
I am really proud to work for a company that is making a difference in the lives of so many pets and pet parents. When I am a stepping stone in in that process, it always puts a smile on my face at the end of the day. – less
Healthy Pet Food, Poor Management and Communication
Pet Detective-9mos (Former Employee), Southern CAOctober 12, 2013
Pros: working with real people who really care about their pets
Cons: company-wide void of contemporary.professional management
Talked to another Pet Detective today that is in the store I wanted to transfer to. I was told by the Regional Rep in that area that I wouldn't be a good fit after working 9 months faithfully and had a turn rate of 66 pets a month in 8-12 hours a week that gave me personal fulfillment in my job as well as constant pet parent thanks for my "intelligence" – more... about the product.
I was never given a quota to meet, therefore had no idea if I was in the upper or lower rung in sales.
I walked away from excellent management in the Pet Smart store I worked in who stated that they loved what I did there.
The regional managers seem to be in a numb and do not seem to have a realistic grip on reality as to what really takes place in front of the pet parents. Great Plains Leasing totally hides in all professional business sites on line. After numerous times of trying to get through one way or another, not a soul ever responded.
I am glad to know now that this is a company wide issue. So sad that I spent my money and time in a store far from my home because the regional manager was upset at the Pet Smart Manager for letting a boundary less Pet Detective go after two years. I paid the price....
Basically those of us who have done the right thing outweigh the Great Plains Mafia.
KARMA is going to be real interesting in the near future... – less
Preious employee
Pet Detective (Former Employee), monroeSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: work with pets
Cons: poor management
I have worked as an in store rep for 7 months. I loved the job until my hours were cut. Until today when i received an email stating my employment was terminated. No reason was given and had to come on a work site to see my job was posted to be filled yesterday.
good job
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 28, 2013
You make your own schedule, some travel. Compensation was okay, did not like the fact you had to fax a log to show your hours and have someone sign off on it at the location you were working at.
Blue buffalo
Pet detective (Former Employee), GlenmontJuly 30, 2013
Pros: dislike job
Cons: jobs sucks
You try to do the best at the store but i guess its not enough the store manager is nice its the blue buffalo manager sucks the job is easy talking to people is nice i love it i hate the blues manager
Like the Brand, but the Regional Manager in Chicago was horrible!
sales (Former Employee), cchicagoJuly 29, 2013
Cons: poor pay!
interviewed for position on phone first...she told me she was eating a cookie (very professional) I had to wait until she finished to start conversation. During the phone interview I was told to wear a blue shirt and bring Id and voided check at our meeting. When I did meet her I was interviewed in an aisle at the store. It was the worst interview I – more... have ever experienced! I was shocked when I saw her. She looked a mess. She took me straight to the dog food, then the cat section and said I would only be selling cat food. It was like pulling teeth to get any information out of her. Regardless, one would expect some sort of professionalism from a Regional Manager in any situation. – less
Overall a fun job but could have used a change of location.
Pet Detective (Spokesperson) (Former Employee), Muncie, INJuly 29, 2013
Pros: set schedule, coaching
Cons: working completly alone, long drive for few hours
It was fun to be working at pet stores and see animals. All shifts were four hours long and only on the weekends. I liked my manager and she couched me a few times. My job was to talk to customers, it became easier to talk to people. The downside was that after a few weeks I'd always see the same people (couldn't sell more products). I never met other – more... co-workers because we worked alone, I think it would be better if there was another person there. The best part is I had a good base pay, but over-time if I was doing a good job it would continue to rise. – less
Great environment, just not what I was led to expect.
Pet Nutritional Consultant (Former Employee), Kentwood, MIJuly 19, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: no benefits and management
Part time work that was made available Friday-Sunday. Did retail sales in pet supply stores (Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, etc.) and informed customers of Blue Buffalo products and benefits.
I learned that nutrition varies widely in the different pet food brands and how brands can manipulate ingredients by renaming them.
I personally, got along with – more... my district manager while most had a hard time dealing with her. She comes off very blunt and pushy to store managers and customers. This is a reason why I decided to leave the company.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that not all stores have the same amount of foot traffic, so it's hard to stay busy over a period of time.
However, the most enjoyable part of the job was helping people to realize what they were feeding to their pets. As well as informing them to do their own research on the web and through other resources that can be easily obtained. – less
Former Employee
Sales "Pet Decective" (Former Employee), South AtlantaJuly 9, 2013
Pros: working in the pet sstores and helping the pets and parents.
Cons: the entire blue organization. horrible dm's.
I thought this was going to be the best job. I did my work, was never late, met all conversion goals and sold a lot of dog and cat food.
I some how was shorted 19 hours over a couple of months. I had all my paper work in order, signed by store management proving I was at the store and worked my 4 hours shift. I spent $40.00 faxing all this info. to – more... my DM who said she never got it, I then mailed it all to her. She totally ignored the mail and proof, told me I could work extra to make up the 19 hours, then take a 2 hour drive for "cat" training which would help make up the hours they didn't pay me for. Now I had written proof from management of Petsmart and Petco about the hours and NOTHING was done. I quit. I have been in sales forever and have never been treated like I was at Blue. They could care less about their "Pet Detectives". It's a good dog food with HORRIBLE management and the worst pay in this field.
It's a shame because I loved being in the pet stores and interacting with the pets and parents. I'm moving to another company with a $4.00pay increase per hour. There is no sneaky sales pitch like Blue. Just facts and the truth. Don't waste your time at Blue. It's a terribly run company and the products are so overpriced, I believe Blue will not be #1 for long. – less
Fun Work place
Pet Detective (Former Employee), Springfield,July 7, 2013
Cons: not enough hours
This was a awesome job if you like pets, I talked to all sorts of people and seen all types of pets. The hardest part about this job is that you need needed to sell your brand of food to pet parents
Productive work place with a lot of social interaction
Product Specialist (Current Employee), KalamazooJune 19, 2013
Pros: very personal job, rewarding to help people
Cons: sometimes rejected, only a weekend job
A typical day of work required me to meet with pet parents and get to know them. I was encouraged to strike up conversation with anyone and everyone. From there, i listened to each person's concerns about their pets, and made a recommendation of a product that would best help them.

I love helping people, and it was very rewarding knowing that i could – more... introduce these people to a high quality product that I use myself and stand by 100 percent. – less
Not Honest Management
Pet Detective (Former Employee), NOT AVAIALBLEJune 18, 2013
Pros: great speaking to people about their pets
Cons: management
I was hired for this company recently with no discussion that sales was a priority. No mention that I had to speak to a certain number of customer in a set time period. Now have received an nasty email wanting to discuss my low numbers. Very disappointed in a company who has managers that can't convey all the required details when discussing hiring – more... you, but will after the fact, then you feel stuck. Soon as I can, will find another part time, job, not worth the being mislead. HORRIBLE REGIONAL MANAGERS! – less

June 26, 2013

I worked for Blue for almost two years and completely understood what was expected of me. If your numbers were really low you were not doing what you should have been doing.

July 6, 2013

The same thing happened to me. When hired, some papers were handed to me with the sales goals in bold print, but I did not see that until I had already worked a day and felt very confused and betrayed. It was a waste of my time and theirs that the manager could not relay that info in person. Later played "dumb" about their goals, which only made me more angry!

July 6, 2013

@Christina - Not necessarily. When I was first hired on, I had some very very poor training, and expectations were not made clear. I knew I had to make sales, but was not given the tools to do so. It wasn't until a year later I had a new manager that showed me how to do it right.

Making pets helthier
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Scottsdale, AZApril 30, 2013
Pros: pets, nice atmospher in the stores, weekend job
Cons: when the store is not busy
You have to be able to work independently and without supervision. Work inside Petsmart or Petco. Enjoy the different pets that come in; get to talk about pets and nutrition.
Great Part-Time Job
Product Specialist (Current Employee), OhioApril 10, 2013
Pros: discounts on dog food flexible schedule
Cons: little to no room for advancement and no benefits
I enjoy this company. I have a wonderful supervisor. She responds promptly to issues or concerns and is very positive. My sales goals are realistic. I am a full-time student and this is a great job for me.
Wonderful Part-time work
Retail Manufacturer's Representative (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 20, 2013
Pros: see many cool dogs, meet good people, good sales experience
Cons: only up to 20 hours a week, raises are few and far between.
Must love dogs! I enjoyed every moment of my time with Blue. My bosses were friendly and helpful and not overbearing. I always felt like the company was there to genuinely do good. A typical four hour shift consists of facing the product and then simply interacting with Pet Parents and sharing with them Blue's amazing product. You must seriously love – more... animals to do this job, but if you do, it will make your work all the more enjoyable! There is nothing better than with gushing with people about their pets and hearing their stories. It was a perfect job to have when I was in college. The hours were very flexible and the bosses are typically very understanding that sometimes, life happens. – less
I do not recommend it
Pet Detective (Former Employee), PittsburghMarch 4, 2013
Pros: good product
Cons: high turnover rate, management is spiteful if you want to leave, they have such a hard time filling the positions.
I worked for Blue Buffalo for several months while unemployed. I received a job offer for full time employment and informed my supervisor (who I never met or talked to - only texts and emails) that I was leaving the company.

One year later, I was denied my unemployment due to one month $400 job at Blue Buffalo - they claimed I never told them I was – more... quitting.

Shaky company and poor management - very little training and no positive feedback and no "face time" with management. – less

March 13, 2013

I couldn't agree more with your statements!!

Take the job only if you are desperate
Flunky (Former Employee), Palm Coast, FLMarch 4, 2013
Pros: none except perhaps receiving free dog food and coupons
Cons: everything else!
Pompous area supervisor played the waiting game and took his royal time to make a decision. Met for interview and then for in-store training. Was handed a pile of papers and then started the next day. It wasn't until I had completed one day and was getting ready to go to work the next day that I saw the unrealistic sales goals that he didn't even have – more... the guts to discuss!
In a small store, 4 sales an hour is ridiculous!
I like pets and like speaking with people, but in a small store with the store manager intercepting the majority of the clientele and selling his "favorites" or people knowing exactly what they want and not wanting to have their time wasted, it is impossible to do what this co. requests.
Also, they deny any claims of contaminated food, although there have been news reports of said contamination!
In order to have a clear conscience, decided couldn't do what they asked. – less
awesome place to work
Animal Nutritionist (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: fast pased
Cons: pay
I love this job. best job ever. meet all type of pet parents.
4hrs on your feet.

About Blue Buffalo

Just like you, we’re dog and cat lovers, pure and simple. We don't "own" our dogs and cats; they are family – Read more