Blue Buffalo

Blue Buffalo Employer Reviews

awesome place to work
Animal Nutritionist (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: fast pased
Cons: pay
I love this job. best job ever. meet all type of pet parents.
4hrs on your feet.
Ideal part time job
PET DETECTIVE (Current Employee), Roseville, CAJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: no benefits
This job is flexible enough for the average SAHM, retiree, and college student

April 12, 2013

I agree with you, this is a flexible job, and great for someone who has other work or school during the week.

Fun part-time empolyment must love animals
Pet Decective / sales rep (Current Employee), GeorgiaJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: selling a great product and talking with pet parents. $20.00 rebate per month
Cons: low pay compared to other par-time reps, no compensationfor milage or working over
I've worked for Blue for a couple of months now and I truly love this job. I'm aparently one of the lucky emplyoees with a great DM and I'm good at what I do. There are some issues that should be addressed as the way we track what hours we work. This is done on Sunday and can take up to an hour. Tracking new Blue feeders is fine but we have a quota – more... to make on approaches which is easy. It is not easy changing someones mind to purchase a high quality ( Blue is a very good feed) but costly food. I drive an hour on Sat. to work at two stores and get no commensation for my time, milage or working over and we are the lowest paid reps out there. Like a $2.00 - $3.00 difference. That's a lot of money part-time, full-time what ever. They are the number one selling food but pay the least????Also, as reps also have way more to do then the other pet food reps. I love this job because I do know Blue is a very good food and talking with people that own pets is fun and not boring, but I'm finding the money issue a challange to deal with. I work twice as hard as the other reps for other pet food companies and get paid up to $4.00 less!!! That is not right. I guess I should be grateful I have a job!! – less

June 27, 2013

What are some of the other companies, which pay their demonstrators more money? I have met one from Authority and I was told they have no quota to meet. They just walk around and talk to anyone interested in their product. No cold approaches as with Blue. It can be uncomfortable shopping and having a stranger approach, when all you want to do is shop in peace! I know a couple people who have done this job, so I appreciate your stating the pros and cons, as I have entertained thoughts of applying for this company. Although, more money is always a good thing.

Perfect for a pet lover!
Product Specialist (Current Employee), Houton,TX and Glendale, AZJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: great training and fun environment
Cons: no product discounts for employees
I've been with the company for 5 years, came in as a well educated nutritionist with an extensive background in dog training, ,management and care. My Manager, in Houston has to be one of the best people I've ever worked with. When I moved she helped me transfer and has stayed in touch. It's a competitive field, the customers and their pets assure no – more... two shifts are ever alike and seeing pets get healthy and happy on the product is very rewarding! Good hourly pay, flexible schedule and it's not a high pressure sales position, we are trained to HELP not to push customers like other companies, and the positive approach just feels good. Great company to work for I am hoping to advance and turn my PT job into a FT career! – less

July 9, 2013

BB employees rec a discount monthly, and the u.s rebate once a month is higher than Canadians, so that is balony as far as not receiving anything from the company. Also there are training sessions and paid for as well as surprises!

Management was not the best.
pet detective (Former Employee), Bham AlJanuary 5, 2013
Pros: paid every week
I worked for this company mainly because I am a pet lover and wanted to earn an extra income. One of the manager at a pet store I work in had some problems with the product from some past customers. When I relayed the information to my manager she never did or respond back to the store manager. It left me in a bad position when I worked at that store.
Great for a part time job.
Pet Detective (Former Employee), Richmond, KYDecember 9, 2012
Pros: fantastic part time job, truly caring company
Cons: no full time hours, barely any weekends off.
Blue is one of the best companies I have worked for. If you genuinely care about the mission, which is helping pets find the best food to live on, it's phenomenal job and comes easy. The only down side was having very little flexibility in your shifts. The four hour shifts were not bad at all, but having them scheduled in the middle of every weekend – more... made going out of town or things of that nature incredibly difficult. – less
Perfect job for animal lover!
Blue Rep (Current Employee), Clarksville TNDecember 7, 2012
Pros: hours, being with animals, nice people
Cons: pt only
As a army wife and mom of two I wanted a job for me that I could handle with kids and hubby being gone a lot. I also love the product. I learned so much about dog food its amazing. The people are super nice, great pay, and wonder place to work! All around im happy...Animals are always around which is a plus for me
Friendly and relaxed atmosphere
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee), Glendale, AZNovember 4, 2012
Pros: flexiblity and benefits
Cons: angry customers.
Growing company with excellent benefits. Dealing with Pet Parents provides for an entertaining and interesting environment.
Fun work enviroment,great product
Pet Detective (Former Employee), Mansfield OhioOctober 7, 2012
Pros: work with great people. meet people and their pets.
Cons: every weekend, no benefits
I enjoyed helping people find the right product for their special pet and helping pets live healthier lives. Five years ago,when Blue was a newer company, we had to know a lot about the ingredients, now, they dont want their reps to be very knowledgeable.Reps are there to sell food(no mattter what they say) but there are many restrictions on the way – more... you are allowed to do so.
Policies changed often and without notice.
Employees are not valued by the company at all.
Has rude,poorly trained and disrespectful management.
Other pet food companies pay their reps more.
Blue Buffalo, who makes the product is a wonderful company, but Great Plains Leasing that runs the rep program, is a disapointment, in too many ways to list here.
Pet Detective can be a great fun little part time, short term job.Just dont take it too seriously. – less
A great company that helps its employees sell a great product.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Denver, COSeptember 10, 2012
Blue Buffalo was an ideal company for people looking for part-time weekend work. The compensation is competitive and there are no problems with getting paid as long as you're responsible enough to track your own personal schedules and payroll.
I LOVE MY JOB
Vendor Demonstrator (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 22, 2012
Pros: great pay, great hours, great people, pets, paid weekly, food rebates
Cons: low hours, weekends only
Go to pet supply stores and educate consumers on the benefits of our pet food. Approach customers to establish pet parent relationships with them, give vendor demonstrations and presentations in an effort to get them and their families to switch to our food.
I've learned so much about pet nutrition and the plentiful benefits of feeding natural, holistic – more... diets like Blue. The hardest part of this job is restraining from judging people for feeding less premium foods.
This food has changed my dogs' lives and I couldn't be happier about that – less
Great company to work for if you like pets
Pet Detective (Current Employee), Northglenn, COAugust 17, 2012
Pros: pets
Cons: pay, little chance for advancement
If you're self motivated and can manage yourself (for the most part) this a good job to have. Only being allowed to work so many hours/week kind of sucks, but it's a good part time job. I get to talk to people about their pets all day and help them live happy, healthy, long lives.
Nice pt job
PT Sales Representative (Current Employee), Morgantown, WVJuly 25, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Nice pay and benefits for PT job, Get to meet pet parents and large variety of cats and dogs through job. Stand for 4 hour shifts but keep busy through conversations with pet parents.
I was terminated by email without being given a reason
Sales representative (Former Employee), Temecula, CaJune 29, 2012
Pros: i loved the product and was passionate about selling it.
Cons: imposssibly rude and woefully under-trained supervisor
I was hired as sales representative in October, 2009, and worked until now in north county, San Diego. On Monday, June 25, I emailed my supervisor, Lindsey, because I had not received my work schedule for July. I received a two sentence email advising me that "As of July 1st, we will not need your services anymore. Thank you for your service and best – more... of luck to you in the future."

Until this email, I had no idea that I was in danger of being terminated. In the two and one half years that I worked for Blue Buffalo, I was a top producing sales person, having sold over 6,300 bags of pet food. I have also won many awards as a top producing sales person for Blue while missing only one shift because of sickness. I still have not been officially contacted and given a reason for my termination. – less

February 4, 2013

I have heard of this being done by other Blue Buffalo District Managers, hard to keep postive and promote the product when your Manger does not take the time to coach or assist, but can elimate you from the payroll without a blink. Sad thing, the product is wonderful, the Management is not, so really it reflects on the upper management and the company.

Unprofessional and Emotional Regional Manager
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 27, 2012
I gave a 2 week notice, and my Regional Manager asked me to work an additional 2 weeks. I worked the additional 2 weeks for her. I was moving back to my home which was a 2 day drive, but my Regionar Manager agreed that she would help me transfer with Blue Buffalo, so that I could be a Pet Detective back at home when I arrived. It appears that she has – more... given me a bad reference, and I'm not sure as to why?! I have excellent references and reviews from ALL of the Petsmart and Petco stores that I worked at. In fact, I was offered full time employment from 4 of the stores! I emailed the Corporate office regarding the situation and challenge I had with this, and wad completely ignored. – less
Difficult contacting managment
Pet food representative (Former Employee), Pittsfield, MAMarch 9, 2012
Pros: independance, interacting with the general public
Cons: difficulty contacting management, not enough hours
decent hourly pay, and very difficult contacting management in a different state, not enough hours
Good company to work for
Pet Detective (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 11, 2014
Pros: discount on products, gifts, good support system
Cons: none to mention
If you love animals Blue is a good company to work for. They are supportive and always available to discuss your job.
Fun sales position
Sales Representative/ Product Demonstrator (Current Employee), On site pet storesNovember 12, 2013
Pros: making your own schedule
Cons: part-time hours
Working for Blue Buffalo allows you the freedom to work for yourself. You get to determine your work schedule, and you given the responsibility self-manage without a direct manager on site.
Terrible Employer. Poor Management and intimidation tactics
Account Manager-Outside Sales (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: none!!
Cons: unappreciative management, lousy pay, threat tactics, poor training, long distance management from the united states, high turnover, poor morale, no perks, no discounts on product
Blue Buffalo is one of the worst condescending organizations. The job was the lowest paying compared to what competitors offered. Although I learned a lot about pet nutrition on my own accord, it was not appreciated. The hours were minimal consisting of 4-8 hours a week if I was lucky. It was an overall boring job standing around. Yet it was very competitive – more... selling against other brand manufacturers when business picked up. No bonuses were ever given for performance. I never met any of the staff except for my manager who I saw twice in two years. They never appreciated the extra hours I did when I had to assist a customer after my shift was completed. They had a very poor reporting system of faxing in time sheets causing miscommunication. This resulted in the manager threatening to fire people who could not get their reports in time because the fax was busy. Although the product is good the marketing and sales infrastructure is the worst I've EVER seen!
The only thing I enjoyed was working with the customers and helping make their pets healthy. Even that was overlooked my management. – less

March 20, 2013

I think because of us Pet Detectives is the absolute reason why BB is ranked #1 and not because of the commercials or that its the best quality food. There are so many other natural pet foods that are good and affordable such as Simply Nourish to name a few. Not to mention, I am in agreement with you that we should get a discount on the food. How can we afford that on our salaries right? The reporting software or GPL is a joke. I hate the fact that I have to email my manager everytime I put a store a date wrong when creating my schedule.

April 28, 2013

They want you to run around like a chicken with your head cut off to approach everyone. If you spend too much time bonding & educating a pet parent on nutrition they criticize you because there were one or two people you could have approached. The goals are impossible. NO POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT just constant brow beating. I have been with them a few years & have not gotten a raise even though I received a bonus for high sales. Now I see on their job site that they want people to agree to drive 25 mi. That's 50 mi round trip for a 4 hr shift on your dime. So if fuel is $3.50 a gal that's $7 fuel cost not counting oil, tires, insurance, your time etc. They don't pay for 3 hrs a month sending reports & reading & responding to e-mails either. The turn-over rate is phenomenal for a reason ! I am still there because I am hoping to move & it would be helpful to have a job at my new location & possibly a better manager. But from what others have said I doubt that will happen. There are other companies that are good & pay much better.

About Blue Buffalo

Just like you, we’re dog and cat lovers, pure and simple. We don't "own" our dogs and cats; they are family – Read more