Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX

Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX Employee Reviews

WorkPLace
Market Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 17, 2017
Being a Market Analyst has been one of the most rewarding positions I have had. I feel that I can accomplish my goals and revent the wheel. I enjoy my peers and management is really good and work with you to help you meet and exceed your goals.
Productive fast paced, high expectations and goals
Provider Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILSeptember 7, 2017
Extremely fast paced recquiring exceptional attention to detail. High expectations on prrformance and adherence to schedule. Thorough research recquired. Knowledge of medical terminology, insurance policies, and HIPPA. Provider/Facility support via phone intake. Customer satisfaction priorities. Responsible for Benefits and Elegibility, claims processing, prior authorization requests and predetermining medical necessity in accordance with BCBS guidelines.
Horrible place to work
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILAugust 20, 2017
You are micro managed. The supervisors don't really seem to have a job. They do a lot of coloring and acting stupid in between writing up employees for aanything they can. Expect to get several errors that you can't get out of. They love to give errors. Only way to advance is to be related to someone hire up. See specially in Danville. IL
Disorganized chaos
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXAugust 12, 2017
The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and you were expected to to make decisions on the fly with little clear support. When concerned were addressed with management they were either ignored or you were placated with words to make the complaint go away.
don't get sick
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 30, 2017
I recommend not getting sick when you work for this health insurance company. I got sick 2 different times and had a doctor's appointment and was let go for "too many hours missed". The number I was given to not reach when it came to hours missed was 42 hours. I was let go for missing 34 hours. I quickly learned from other former employees afterward that they are notorious for letting people go for not being more specific about their attendance requirements.
They complain about training costs...
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILJuly 25, 2017
And then fire you for any (or no) reason. They also fail to comply with the Americans with Disabilities act. For example, have major surgery, recovery takes time, sorry, you're fired, too bad your benefits cost 2000.00 per month to continue and you only made 1800 a month to begin with. Yes, they suck.
Pros
Good benefits if you can afford them.
Cons
Management, micro management, being assigned 17 areas to handle with 2 hours of training.
All work
Provider Services, Broker Services, Member (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJuly 12, 2017
Busy call center it is mirco manage job everything is timed and monitored. Depending what location your at it has its perks like work out area, rest..
Pros
Benefits, Bonus, Advancements
Cons
Micro manging
work enviroment
Customer Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Quincy, ILJune 23, 2017
they have no care about the smaller people in the company
change happens often and quick
when you voice a concern they over look it
raises are not many or often and is a company percentage.
Fast paced environment with many opportunities
Customer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 20, 2017
Staying busy was never a problem. There were over-time opportunities for most everyone; there were some mandatory Saturdays that were over-time. The required training was easy to understand. The management cared for the workers and tried to compensate for any hard times. While difficult at times, the rewards and recognition felt adequate for the hardships.
Cons
Super busy at times
Dishonesty abounds as does favoritism
CM (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 24, 2017
Lack of acceptance of responsibility by supervisors. Entire new group in training were told about a benift we would be getting, which never happened. Utterly unreasonable performance requirements. On the surface, CM is about providing a service. In reality, the job is to save BCBS as much $ as possible. Dishonest hiring. Told job pay and hours, but required work not close to possible in a 40 hour week, 50 at least but salaried position
Pros
Food good but pricy
Cons
No free anything! Not even coffee. Not even during orientation and required meetings
Politics
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2017
Do not expect to go very far working here, unless you know someone higher up. This company is very political, and the managers show favoritism towards kids and other relatives of higher authority figures. Expect to be passed up on a job after working here for years because the boss's daughter finally got her degree. Stay far away from this place
Pros
Beautiful building, nice cafeteria
Cons
Very great company to work for great benefits and incentives
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 11, 2017
I loved this company. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a great place to work. Friendly people and employees. Great training as well as perks
advocate on behalf of physicians
Provider Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2017
I recently retired from BlueCross BlueShield of Illinois after 24 years of service.

During my tenure at BCBSIL, I held various positions across the organization, but my last 10 years of service I acted as a Senior Physician Provider Representative.

In this role, I acted as an advocate on behalf of physicians with billing and claim issues to ensure a speedy reimbursement resolution.
Great Company
Analytics Consultant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Blue Cross of Texas is a great company to work for. The stability of the company at this point is ever changing do to the ACA, however I think the future is bright for the company within the next few years after recovering from such massive profit losses.
Pros
Caferteria
Houston Office- Horrible Politics\ Racial Tension
Disease Management Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2017
The HCSC office in Houston,TX is like no other office environment.
Managers often pick a target and take turns harassing them employee until they either leave to 'snap'.

After more than 8 years with the company, I threw in the towel.
The wrong people are promoted and leads to total leadership failure.

The plan will continue to suffer until senior management takes back the reigns, instead of turning a blind eye.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Office Politics, Managers want to make things a race issue, Gloomy work enrvironment
Chasing the next best thing
Sr Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2017
Little commitment to prehire representation of responsibilities and opportunities. Too many place individual recognition over personal accountability. Shell game of sorts.
Pros
Clean modern facility
Cons
Limited ability to deliver on opportunities described prehire.
My favorite job so far.
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Blue Cross has allowed me to grow as an LVN. I was given the opportunity to teach face to face, in a classroom style setting, about various health conditions to a client's employees, and it was very rewarding. Management is pretty good. the most enjoyable part of my job is hearing from pt's that they learned alot from our interactions.
Pros
Great place to grow professionally
Cons
We could use more vacation time as the job can be demanding.
Department dependent
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2016
Everything depends on who your manager is. On my team there is absolutely no flexibility in your schedule, and if you work from home more than once a month you are grilled about it. My manager is constantly creating unneeded pressure and unrealistic deadline and micromanaging every little thing. Merit is not used to choose management, it is all about who you know.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, great building
Cons
Long hours, micromanagement, no flexibility in schedule, very little work from home, terrible middle management
Great place
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2016
From the moment I walked in the door, everyone was so nice and helpful. People usually retorr from this company, they dont leave. Management in government programs is great, the field is expanding and booming. There is so much room for upward mobility, people stay in positions for 6 months and get promoted. Excellent benefits and a great downtown work environment.
Pros
Good benefits, great work atmosphere
Cons
Downtown parking or take the L. You have to pay 134 a month for parking.
Get as far away from the PMO office as humanly possible
Manager, Project Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2016
This organization seemed great at first, and it appears some departments have a fairly decent work environment, but the PMO office is a joke. The leadership is worse than incompetent - politics, backstabbing, managers that demean employees, favoritism and a fear culture are what day to day life looks like. There is never a compliment given that doesn't have an accompanying criticism. There is no development except for training developed in house by laughable Services Quality team. Management by sarcasm and bullying is par for the course. Every day at work is like being in an adult version of mean girls. The pay is ok, the insurance is nothing special and you are expected to work 50+ hours a week and volunteer on your free time. Stay away!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7