Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Employer Reviews

Love the job but things have changed
HCC Risk Mitigation Auditor (Current Employee), Hingham, MAOctober 11, 2014
Overall a great place to work.

The only bad thing is there is no chance for advancement even though you are well qualified
Great opportunity for clinicians to gain business insight
Manager (Former Employee), Quincy, MAOctober 10, 2014
The Behavioral Health Team I managed were hard working, dedicated professionals.
Culture and Management Change --For the Worse
Marketing (Former Employee), Blue Cross Blue Shield of MassachusettsOctober 7, 2014
Pros: well educated employees, benefits, salary, product offerings
Cons: senior leadership complete detached and clueless
I worked at BCBSMA from 2007-2013 and I saw a slow decline in the level of cooperation and teamwork across most of the divisions I interacted with on a daily basis. The biggest culprit to why this negative transition occured was our slow decline in membership. To shake things up and try to improve the overall company, senior leadership was changed. – more... The leaders all seemed to come from the same 2-3 organizations and their people skills and human touch were completely lacking in all areas of management. Ironically they did not come from a sales background or seem to even care about membership growth or interacting with people to build bridges. I specifically was astounded to see so many come from a disease management firm and then hire their friends to work for them. In the end half of my department was re-structured and without regard to skill set and potential for contributing in other areas of the division, people were let go. This is not an indictment on the company for laying me off; I have worked for 25 years for various small and large companies and seen many changes in the corporate culture of the insurance industry and the financial sector. The problem is the "trickle-down effect". If the senior executives are disinterested in getting to know the middle-managers (or those in the trenches), and do nothing to improve sales, I see no way the company as a whole will improve. In the time since I found a new job, I have heard this story told over and over at BCBSMA. It is a shame because I loved working there for the most part and were surrounded by very intelligent, hard working people. – less
enjoyed working with the members and coworkers of the fep dept,
Federal Employee Program Service Representative (Former Employee), Hingham, MAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: nice dperks
Cons: call regulations
I would arrive, set up to start my day, I enjoyed the work, as a customer service rep, It can be overwhelming always feeling like you're taking too much time with one member, as long as member was satisfied then I did what I was being compensated for.
Even if you're a temp, it's a great place to work!
Temporary Associate (Current Employee), Quincy, MAJuly 31, 2014
Pros: easy to get to, good work environment.
Cons: hard to get on permanent in certain departments.
I really don't like the fact that I have to search for a job elsewhere, as I actually enjoy the job I have now. I work in a nice setting, the cafeteria has great food, my supervisors are fun and considerate, and the job itself is right up my alley.

If you can get on full-time, the benefits are really good. Plus it's easy to go to even on public transportation.
I would not advise anyone able to think and reason independently to work here!
Member Service Representative (Current Employee), QuincyJuly 27, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: short breaks and unprofessional management
There is entirely too much micro-managing. Managers and supervisors are condescending, manipulative, accusatory and ill-prepared to deal with anyone able to think on their own. There is an illusion of professionalism, however, managers and supervisors gossip and pass along information about employees coming onto their "teams" then treat them accordingly. – more... It seems that in order to get along and advance one must act the exact same way as management; in other words, as a robot. – less
Dental information Center
Dental. Claims (Current Employee), HinghamJune 28, 2014
Cons: supervisor
The only way you will go far in that company is if you don't have a supervisor who doesnt discriminates against you
Great Experience
Temp (Former Employee), Quincy, MAApril 28, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
My experience working here was good, I taught myself mostly everything because the training was pretty weak. Hours weren't flexible and management was unorganized but overall the company seemed like a great company to work for. Maybe no the department I worked in.
Massive company with lots of room for advancement
Administrative Assistant to Sr VP & Two Directors (Former Employee), Quincy, MAApril 23, 2014
Pros: cafateria in building & garage attached to building was easy for parking.
Cons: none.
Great company to work for. Worked for Sr. VP & 3 Directors of large department. Sr. VP was only in Quincy, MA 2 days per week & had back to back meetings throughout entire day which made things difficult to make all attendees available for all meetings. Co-workers were great & they had cafeteria in building which was nice for lunches.
A fine job with not fine management staff
Contractual Maintenance Team Associate (Former Employee), Hingham, MAApril 19, 2014
Pros: great food at the building cafeteria
Cons: poor direction from supervisors on my team
Working on a team is all well and good, my co-workers were always helpful and able to answer questions that I had.

The team management did not seem to know how to conduct themselves. I found them to be unprofessional and indirect with requests and projects.
Excellent place to work!
Member Enrollment Processor (Former Employee), North Quincy, MAApril 4, 2014
I very much enjoyed working for BCBS of MA. They promoted a culture of learning, support and achievement. Management fostered a team work atmosphere and rewarded employees for doing excellent work.
Great place to work with friendly co-workers
Data Analyst (Current Employee), BostonMarch 11, 2014
Great atmosphere to learn, especially for a recent graduate.
Great company, few opportunities
Medicare Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Hingham, MAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great hours
Found Job through PSG a staffing agency. Overall enjoyed the position but they did not have an opening at the time for permanent employees.
Stellar company whose vision aligns with their committment to building a better community.
Case Registrar (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: service level positions are stressful and do not match the pay.
In various positions within the company, I have become a healthcare guru, my level of professionalism continues to be increased along with my skill.
Strong institution
Manager - Threat & Vulnerability Management (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 18, 2013
Good benefits. Dynamic and rapidly evolving work place. Many major technology initiatives underway.
Great upper management.
Freelance Consultant (Current Employee), Quincy, MAJuly 31, 2013
Way too much middle management. Very conservative. My co-workers were all afraid to speak or promote new ideas.
Overall Experience
Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 8, 2013
BCBSMA promotes a work life balance, competitive benefits and up holds a strong reputation through out the healthcare industry
Great company
Project Manager/Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 9, 2013
Great company to work for. Excellent benefits. Great environment to work in.
Great Company but Manager are not supportive
Provider Receivable Analyst II (Former Employee), Quincy, MAMay 8, 2013
A typical work day for me was Invoicing and collecting payment from Doctors, Hopitals and Medical facilities. DId have a supportive manager. I felt like it there was no room for growth and no career path at BCBSMA.
summer intern (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 27, 2013
I worked here briefly while still being in high school as a summer internship. It was fun. I learned a lot about being in an office setting, how to behave professionally, and how to be organized.

About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts

If you're looking for a challenging work environment, opportunities to continually develop your skills, and be part of an organization – Read more