Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Employee Reviews

A complex but worthwhile place to work..
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 22, 2015
You can't beat the benefits offered at BCBSM. You can beat the rate of advancement, the political culture within office, and the high-school drama feel, however.
Great experience.
Intern (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Great people.
Cons: At times I did not feel challenged.
I have nothing but positive things to say about my time spent as an Intern for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
The majority of my work experience prior to the internship was factory and general labor. It was a bit of a culture shock and at times I felt like a fish out of water but after a few months I came out of my shell and really appreciated the people I was surrounded by.
I was lucky enough to observe relationships between management and employees that defined what it means to be a leader.
Great benefits and opportunity for education growth is available
Senior Analyst (Current Employee), Detroit, MI 48226July 10, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: Corporate Politics
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is a nice place to work. It provides opportunities for advancement in education. The workload can become overwhelming at times, however it provides challenges to meet goals. The majority of the people are welcoming and it is not unusual to start a life long friendship with co-workers. The most enjoyable part about my job is meeting challenges and some of my co-workers. The challenging part is understanding the culture and the ever-changing dynamics of the health care industry
A
Onsite RN Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 8, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: disorganized management
Average Place to Work. Sometimes a negative atmosphere. Work overload creating stress
Hardest part of job was keeping up with demand. coworkers were good to work with. most enjoyable was working at home
Compensation needs to reflect the amount of work that is required.
Registered Nurse Analyst / Discharge Planning (Current Employee), Detroit, MichiganJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Benefits and flexible work schedules.
Cons: Caseloads and time frames.
Very busy work days. I learned about case management from the health insurance perspective. Management needs to be more forthcoming. Co-workers are great. Hardest part of this position is working your caseload productively. The most enjoyable part of this position was being able to teach members about their health care concerns and preventive measures to reduce their hospitalizations.
Great company to work for! Excellent Benefits! Very Diverse!
Team Lead (Current Employee), New Hudson, MIJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, Benefits, Diversity, Salary, Employee Networks, Corporate Education/Development/Training
Cons: Cross Training & Mentoring program needs to be open to all levels of leadership
Typical Day at work:
Leading a team of Bargaining Unit employees, managing and monitoring production, quality inventory, machine maintenance, and scheduling implementations in a fast-paced operations environment.
Working with internal partners, coworkers, leaders and the team to meet deadlines and deliver a quality product to our customers and ensuring that we are following government mandates, association guidelines, CMS guidelines, meeting MTM standards, performance guarantees, ensuring the integrity of data and security of our members' protected health information.

What I Learned:
Experienced leader with a distinct combination of professional experience, positive influence, technical and analytical expertise; utilizing creativity and teamwork to execute solutions that create customer value. Comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization and public. Strong communication skills overall. Flexible stance to take on additional/non-routine tasks when necessary. Enjoys learning new programs and processes. Team-oriented professional with the ability to focus on the overall scheme of things, and be attentive to detail. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, research and problem solve quickly, accurately, and efficiently. Adept at multitasking to achieve team and individual goals. Committed to quality and excellence.

The hardest part of the job is having work/life balance in such a fast-paced, high stress department. However, it has gotten much better in the past year.

The most enjoyable part of the job is exceeding customer expectations, working with a diverse group of people and being graced with the privilege to lead a team of dedicated employees.
Fun
Digital Analyst (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 26, 2015
Working at BCBSM is great. You're solving problems and you have a positive impact on learning and process. I would recommend working here.
The freedom to do your job.
Project Coordinator for Multiple Assignments (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 18, 2015
Pros: Employee functions
Coming in to work and setting up my day for a smooth work flow. I learned how Project Coordinators function in the health care field. Management was very helpful in the learning process. Co-workers were exceptional in helping me to understand what I needed to get the job done. Coming in and learning all the new ways of creating reports for tracking of information for the Delivery Leads..
Productive Company and a Fun Place to Work
Health Care Analyst (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 12, 2015
Great Company to work for and to grow. Lots of incentives working for the company. Employees are great and the location in the Ren Cen is a great place to work.
Nice place to work
Senior Health Care Analyst (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 10, 2015
I have nothing negative to provide regarding BCBSM, The work is rewarding, management is great, I have learned a lot about working at a national health insurer, the harded part of the job is that their are so many processes in place to get something going. I enjoy very much being located in the heart of downtown.
Great Benefits, great pay, great work environment.
Procurement Analyst, Senior (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 8, 2015
Detroit is actually a great place to work!
Blue Cross Blue Shield is one of the premier places in Detroit to work.
The economy is picking up, the housing market is good, and the job market is hot!
Very fast paced
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMay 17, 2015
Position where you will always stay busy and constantly updated regarding new issues and insurance policies and procedures for different insurance plans.
Diverse environment and great opportunities for growth
Manager (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMay 13, 2015
Pros: diverse opportunities for career advancement
Cons: none
BCBSM is a great place to work. They offer a variety of career paths. Enjoy the people, customer focused company. We have a diverse work force. We have great employee network groups.
A great place for advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working here. Great training. Hands on development. Customer service oriented. Great benefits. Processes in place for help, and a good union.
Excellent place to work
Analyst (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 9, 2015
Pros: Holiday Gatherings, Lunch Provided at meetings
Cons: Short Breaks
An excellent opportunity to establish a career path to gain skills and knowledge.

Flexibility

I learned how to work better as a Team player with Directors, Managers, and Co-Workers.

Management and Co-workers were great building a relationship the environment felt like family.

There are always challenges of a job, there was no hard part of my job. I have the ability to maintain and meet all deadlines.

Interacting with everyone!!!!!
Very well compensated for your work with pay along with benefits.
Account Service Representative (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIApril 8, 2015
Pros: Health enviroment for learning.
Cons: Due to work load, often worked outside of 8 hours a day with no compensation.
A typical day at work started off with a brief meeting with supervisor to bring us up to date on any changes in procedures or problems that had been encountered by others. We were kept abreast of all problems that might occur and were given tools to cope.

My co-workers were easily tolerated due to the fact that we were all in a union environment and the concept of solidarity was very much encouraged.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with or being trained on several occasions by trainers from the other side of the state. Most often trainers did not come to us but we instead had to go to the Detroit, Lansing or Southfield office.

Management made every effort to make sure that we were happy and felt as stress free as possible.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
CQ5 Administrator, Change Controller (Current Employee), Detroit,MIApril 1, 2015
Weekly Calls to Review the status of Production and non Production Issues
Getting to learn new features and technologies
Involved in Root cause analysis
Long hours... Little advancement
Customer Service (Former Employee), BCBS of MichiganMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Not alot
Cons: Not enough room in field
Title says it all..... no advancement and salaries are under valued compared to same sized companies

Employees are not valued and are just numbers... Easily replaceable I was told
Teaching workplace with kind people
Intern to the Vice President (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 21, 2015
A typical day at Blue Cross consisted of sitting in front of a computer while logging in data and various information, with a team meeting scheduled during the later parts of the workday.
Stressful work environment
CSR II (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 21, 2015
Compensation & benefits were great, but the constant changes were stressful especially without team leader knowledge or support.

1 2 3 4 5