Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Employee Reviews

Great company to work for! Excellent Benefits! Very Diverse!
Team Lead (Current Employee), New Hudson, MIJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, Benefits, Diversity, Salary, Employee Networks, Corporate Education/Development/Training
Cons: Cross Training & Mentoring program needs to be open to all levels of leadership
Typical Day at work:
Leading a team of Bargaining Unit employees, managing and monitoring production, quality inventory, machine maintenance, and scheduling implementations in a fast-paced operations environment.
Working with internal partners, coworkers, leaders and the team to meet deadlines and deliver a quality product to our customers and ensuring that we are following government mandates, association guidelines, CMS guidelines, meeting MTM standards, performance guarantees, ensuring the integrity of data and security of our members' protected health information.

What I Learned:
Experienced leader with a distinct combination of professional experience, positive influence, technical and analytical expertise; utilizing creativity and teamwork to execute solutions that create customer value. Comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization and public. Strong communication skills overall. Flexible stance to take on additional/non-routine tasks when necessary. Enjoys learning new programs and processes. Team-oriented professional with the ability to focus on the overall scheme of things, and be attentive to detail. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, research and problem solve quickly, accurately, and efficiently. Adept at multitasking to achieve team and individual goals. Committed to quality and excellence.

The hardest part of the job is having work/life balance in such a fast-paced, high stress department. However, it has gotten much better in the past year.

The most enjoyable part of the job is exceeding customer expectations, working with a diverse group of people and being graced with the privilege to lead a team of dedicated employees.
Fun
Digital Analyst (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 26, 2015
Working at BCBSM is great. You're solving problems and you have a positive impact on learning and process. I would recommend working here.
The freedom to do your job.
Project Coordinator for Multiple Assignments (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 18, 2015
Pros: Employee functions
Coming in to work and setting up my day for a smooth work flow. I learned how Project Coordinators function in the health care field. Management was very helpful in the learning process. Co-workers were exceptional in helping me to understand what I needed to get the job done. Coming in and learning all the new ways of creating reports for tracking of information for the Delivery Leads..
Productive Company and a Fun Place to Work
Health Care Analyst (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 12, 2015
Great Company to work for and to grow. Lots of incentives working for the company. Employees are great and the location in the Ren Cen is a great place to work.
Nice place to work
Senior Health Care Analyst (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 10, 2015
I have nothing negative to provide regarding BCBSM, The work is rewarding, management is great, I have learned a lot about working at a national health insurer, the harded part of the job is that their are so many processes in place to get something going. I enjoy very much being located in the heart of downtown.
Great Benefits, great pay, great work environment.
Procurement Analyst, Senior (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 8, 2015
Detroit is actually a great place to work!
Blue Cross Blue Shield is one of the premier places in Detroit to work.
The economy is picking up, the housing market is good, and the job market is hot!
Very fast paced
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMay 17, 2015
Position where you will always stay busy and constantly updated regarding new issues and insurance policies and procedures for different insurance plans.
Diverse environment and great opportunities for growth
Manager (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMay 13, 2015
Pros: diverse opportunities for career advancement
Cons: none
BCBSM is a great place to work. They offer a variety of career paths. Enjoy the people, customer focused company. We have a diverse work force. We have great employee network groups.
A great place for advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working here. Great training. Hands on development. Customer service oriented. Great benefits. Processes in place for help, and a good union.
Excellent place to work
Analyst (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 9, 2015
Pros: Holiday Gatherings, Lunch Provided at meetings
Cons: Short Breaks
An excellent opportunity to establish a career path to gain skills and knowledge.

Flexibility

I learned how to work better as a Team player with Directors, Managers, and Co-Workers.

Management and Co-workers were great building a relationship the environment felt like family.

There are always challenges of a job, there was no hard part of my job. I have the ability to maintain and meet all deadlines.

Interacting with everyone!!!!!
Very well compensated for your work with pay along with benefits.
Account Service Representative (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIApril 8, 2015
Pros: Health enviroment for learning.
Cons: Due to work load, often worked outside of 8 hours a day with no compensation.
A typical day at work started off with a brief meeting with supervisor to bring us up to date on any changes in procedures or problems that had been encountered by others. We were kept abreast of all problems that might occur and were given tools to cope.

My co-workers were easily tolerated due to the fact that we were all in a union environment and the concept of solidarity was very much encouraged.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with or being trained on several occasions by trainers from the other side of the state. Most often trainers did not come to us but we instead had to go to the Detroit, Lansing or Southfield office.

Management made every effort to make sure that we were happy and felt as stress free as possible.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
CQ5 Administrator, Change Controller (Current Employee), Detroit,MIApril 1, 2015
Weekly Calls to Review the status of Production and non Production Issues
Getting to learn new features and technologies
Involved in Root cause analysis
Long hours... Little advancement
Customer Service (Former Employee), BCBS of MichiganMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Not alot
Cons: Not enough room in field
Title says it all..... no advancement and salaries are under valued compared to same sized companies

Employees are not valued and are just numbers... Easily replaceable I was told
Teaching workplace with kind people
Intern to the Vice President (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 21, 2015
A typical day at Blue Cross consisted of sitting in front of a computer while logging in data and various information, with a team meeting scheduled during the later parts of the workday.
Stressful work environment
CSR II (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 21, 2015
Compensation & benefits were great, but the constant changes were stressful especially without team leader knowledge or support.
A Leader in the Health Care Industry
SENIOR ANALYST - PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (Current Employee), Detroit MIMarch 9, 2015
Fast-paced, project driven position. I've learned an extensive amount about project management. My coworkers work as a team. Developing BRDs can be a challenge and interacting will various key stakeholders is enjoyable.
Awesome place to work
Unit Lead (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 8, 2015
Great Team atmosphere, Leadership is very fair. Benefits and Compensation are Awesome. Career advancement is always there. We work under the UAW union.
Great compensation - little room for advancement
HEALTH CARE ANALYST (Current Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great compensation
Cons: unprofessional leaders, middle school mentality, inappropriate behavior permitted
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is a great place to work if you want to come in and do the same thing year after year. There is a considerable amount of backstabbing and people operating solely from self interest. I would not recommend this company if you like working in a collaborative environment where there is professional growth and development.
Would not recommend to other nurses
Nurse Case Manager, Precertification (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: learning the insurance side of healthcare
Cons: too much sitting with no breaks, poor compensation
I would analyze submissions communicating clinical scenarios to determine length of stay approvals.

I learned how to enter data into DOS, how to work in an office environment, and InterQual criteria.

My co-workers and immediate supervisor were very nice and easy to work with.

Hardest part of my job: observing how poorly my coworkers were treated as they routinely worked many hours of overtime with no compensation. We were not able to get up from our desks.

Most enjoyable: my coworkers and learning new systems and working in a different environment than I was used to.
Great place for additional training
Team Leader (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great hours, great training
Cons: company politics
I managed a group of service representatives who processed claims. I coached and managed performance, assisted with questions and difficult claims I worked on cross-functional teams to increase employee engagement.

I was the lead Gallup Employee Engagement Coach for the division.

The hardest part of the job was seeing claims not being paid due to insurance benefits and the best part of the job is when claims were paid reducing the financial burden for patients. .

1 2 3 4 5