Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Employer Reviews

Typical day
CSR II (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 22, 2014
BCBS was a work day filled with excitement as a team with my co-workers
BCBSM encourage diversity and excellence in their employees
Intern (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 21, 2014
-Great place to work.
-Everyone is there is nice and willing to work together to achieve the company goals.
-Working in Downtown Detroit is attractive, because are many restaurants to choose from and 3 major sport teams there.
-Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is a prestige's and well known company
PRODUCTVE, FUN WORK PLACE
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Southfield, MIMay 29, 2014
Pros: excellent compensation & location
Cons: very stressful
I LOVED WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY. OVERALL, THEY CARED FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES. ALOT OF ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT & GROWTH
Constant changes, numerous meetings daily, stressful one day, laid back the next day.
Auditor I (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 22, 2014
Pros: flex time
Cons: training not provided
Its hard to say what a typical day at work was, but if I had to , i'd say a typical day for me consisted of 2-4 meetings a day...Everyday was different. One day was more laid back, while the next day wasn't at all. Job load would be heavy one week, and light the next.

Management at BCBSM could use more training as well as providing some kind of formal – more... training for new hires. The job culture could use some improvement as well. The culture is what I would call old fashion and not with the times.

The hardest part of the job for me was having to pretty much learn the job on my own. There was no job shadowing, coaching or any form of training. I believe that if new hires were provided those essential needs, work life for all would have improved significantly.

My co-workers for the most part were delightful to be around and work one-on-one with. – less
Large organization going through performance transformation
Director - Strategy, Pop Health, Data Analytics (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 28, 2014
Pros: nice downtown detroit facilities
Cons: parking is a hassle for most
Lots of changes at BCBSM. Solid commitment to Michigan and downtown Detroit revitilization
BCBSM
Director, Sales Force Development (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 11, 2014
The Michigan Blues are truly dedicated to fulfilling their social mission.
Needs management overhaul
clinical (Current Employee), Detroit, MIApril 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything else
Too many managers with their hands in the pot (and very few actually know what they are doing). My dept. went through 3 directors and two re-organizations within 14 months. Overwhelming amount of work in a highly stressful environment. Very poor morale with no recognition and the dept goals are impossible to meet, therefore affecting merit raises and – more... bonus potential. No work/life balance. Salaried employees are EXPECTED to work an "over 40" hour work week. Good employees are leaving left and right and being replaced with sub par contractors. Only good thing I can say: Benefits are unbeatable! – less
Productive fun place to work
Outreach Representative (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 31, 2014
Productive fun place to work. I have had many opportunities while working with Blue Cross Blue Shield.
nice place to work for a beggining csr
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Highland Park, MIMarch 12, 2014
• Accepted 40 - 60 calls inbound phone calls per day
• Provide superior service via phones
• Answer customer inquiries about Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan product and services
• Submit request for add/delete members and cancellations/reinstatement of policies
• Update personal information (i.e. address, DOB, etc.)
• Keep records of customer interactions – more... or transactions, recording details of inquiries, complaints, or comments, as well as actions taken
• Accept payments utilizing checking/saving account and set up automatic deduction
• Review claims, determine if process correct, submit request to have them reviewed
• Navigate through multiple systems and met or exceed goals – less
Very Productive,with a very enjoyable place to work
Case Management Assistant (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 7, 2014
Pros: great work environment, great benefits, room for growth.
Cons: none...just do your job
To pass out work in the department or collect work to be processed for that day; Add claims or clients information to modules to create cases for home bound Nurses, I've learned to be self motivated, without supervision. I know with every job in life there will always be a person are persons you must receive guidelines from, and u must be able to work – more... with and for whom ever is placed in that position. When it comes to my co-workers I make sure it's known I here to work not to make friends but their nice to have but my job and the work on my desk is far more important. There is never a job to hard if you have all the job syllables, always ask questions, and get help when you need it. but the most enjoyable part of doing or having a job with me was knowing that it was done right and with speed and accuracy, that's a must in my book. – less
Poor management philosophy and ineffective communication
Con. Senior Healthcare Analyst for the CoE (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 6, 2014
Pros: the view
Cons: poor management and communication structures
This was, by far, the worst professional working experience I have ever had. My experience working with BCBSM suffered from exceptionally poor management and virtually non-existent communication. The hardest part of the job was filling my day with things to do. After several meetings with management, no clear goals were set or documented and no expectations – more... were ever set. A typical day at work was spent reading relevant medical journals to pass time. The most enjoyable part of my job was the 30 minutes I spent away from my desk for lunch. There was absolutely no sense of urgency and far too much hierarchical bullying. Truly not a place to go for an exciting career, quick opportunities for growth or anyone under the age of 65 who is actually looking to make something of themselves. – less
A great work environment.
Temporary Office Support Clerk (Former Employee), Southfield, MIMarch 3, 2014
Working for this company was great even though is was a temporary assignment. The manager and supervisors were very much into their employees. The company offers great benefits and pay upon hiring in. Work environment was very impressive.
A nice place to work, with great benefits
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 12, 2014
Very diverse with employees which is great to see. Offers many training classes and incentives.
Productive fast paced enviroment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: the lack of decison making power i have over my clients benefits and benefit packages.
I currently work in a call center with 102 bargaining unit customer service representatives and 7 leaders reporting to me. We service members of all of the Auto groups (Ford, GM, UAW, and Chrysler) and administer their helath plan policies.

This position not only has helped me with my leadership skills but because the company is heavily impacted by – more... the health care reform rules I am well versed on how health care reform impacts members.

I have learned that consistent timely follow up is key when dealing with clients and frank pen conversations are very important when leading a team.

The hardest part of the job in priortizing my day and ensuring that I am able to effectively coach my team. The most enjoyable part of my job is the assistance I can offer to my clients and my teams. – less
Great Place to work
CSS - New Software Prod Develop (Former Employee), South Lyon, MIFebruary 8, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at BCBSM. I really learned a lot and like the people.
Purpose driven work
Secretary to Director (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: very good health insurance coverage and low premium share
Cons: long distance to drive to work
The health insurance business is an interesting, very competitive and progressive business. The co-workers were good employees to work with to accomplish my daily work.
Professional, Clean Work Environment
Group Billing Production Clerk II (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: professional environment
Cons: commute to downtown is expensive
I work in the Renaissance Cen building. The work environment is very beautiful and clean. We have a circular view of the downtown area and Canada. The employee lounge for dining is at the top of our tower and we enjoy relaxing during our lunch time.
Diversity, Team Oriented, Great Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: opportunities for advance, great health care benefits, union.
Cons: layoff and outsource in customer service departments
Inbound call center, review and providing client benefits, claim correction as well as provide help desk assistance for website.
Productive/educational fun place to work
Processor II (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 22, 2014
Enjoyed working for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan would like to return as a permanent employee. Enjoyed working with my co-workers and had a wonderful team leader. Learn a great deal regarding AFA/Obamacare.
Intern (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 14, 2014
Learned a lot
Experienced a ton of information
Co-workers were helpful