Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Employee Reviews

Backward and Stagnant Culture Along with Very Poor Management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit and Southfield, MIFebruary 21, 2018
Antiquated methodologies, unwillingness to change, horrible management, backstabbing, lack of integrity. Toxic environment that does not support a healthy, transparent, and collaborative place to work in.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Poo
Wouldn't recommend working for BCBSM or BCN
Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 8, 2018
Management can accuse you of anything and HR will not back you up or listen to your side of the story. If your manager doesn't like you, you may get fired. HR doesn't support the employees, only the management.

There is little to no formal training. You are usually left to figure things out for yourself. They provide online training but good luck finding the time to take the training.

Work loads tend to be heavy.

Management does not consult with employees before making decisions that directly affect the employees or their work load.

Rules and corporate culture changed from department to department. The only consistency in BCBSM is the lack of consistency in numerous areas.
Pros
Good benefits, usually work only 40/week
Cons
Poor management, depressing work culture, no comp time or recognition when you have to work on the weekends or evenings.
Okay Temp Job
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 7, 2018
I was a temporary CSR during Open Enrolllment at Blue Care Network. This was an extremely busy time for BCN therefore the all volume was very high. The atmosphere was stressful most of the time. There was a LOT of info available to answer customer inquiries and resolve customer issues, but you had to know where to find it. The training was approximately 8 weeks long. I learned a LOT about the health and dental insurance industry, the Affordable Care Act, medical procedures, and prescription drugs. I truly enjoyed helping BCN subscribers. the least enjoyable part about the job was being tied to the phones all day and the somewhat "clique-y" culture (all the supervisors had their favorites and some of them were very unprofessional). The environment was very competitive. There was NO work life balance.
Pros
Great training ground for the Health Care Industry
Cons
Unprofessional atmosphere, stressful, No work-life balance
No thank you
Case Manager/Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 5, 2018
As this is my current employer I do not wish to complete this section. I have not had a good experience with the company and that is the extent of what I wish to divulge.
Great atmosphere with collaborative helpful individuals
Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 4, 2018
Training was short and not very helpful. Sink or swim environment with regard to management. .........................................................
Pros
Parking garage, work in GM rencen building
Cons
commute and team leaders
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 1, 2018
Company offers a lot of benefits for their employees outside of healthcare. Good opportunity to learn healthcare that offers a ton of lateral movement.
Worked there as a contractor 3 years
Contractor Coordinator/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 1, 2018
Worked with Legal Attorney and Corporate Compliance office who gave me 100% support!!! Procedure area my last year where I worked I was considered a outsider due to issues between departments who were paying my salary!
Pros
Flexible work schedule, Great Legal and CC group support.
Cons
To many meetings
Both sides of the spectrum: good and bad
Healthcare Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 23, 2018
The good:
Competitive Pay
Amazing benefits

The bad:
Lays off people while still hiring people. Does not care about the person, only the bottom line. If they're in the green, you have a job. If not, they're cutting people.
Senior Facility Analyst/ Auditor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 23, 2018
Always searching for a better and faster way to provide Quality Health Care Products to the public. When you work in a productive environment you tend to produce.
Pros
Education opportunities
Cons
Top heavy with Upper management positions
Fun place to work
CONTRACT PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 21, 2018
Going to work everyday at BCBS was always exciting and rewarding. The future vision is phenomenal for the company to become the number one Insurance company in the world.
Fast paced productive place to work
Grievance and Appeals Coordinator/Complaints (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 18, 2018
A typical day a BCBSM consisted of investing appeals and grievances, and dealing with customer's complaints. I learned to be very detailed while working this assignment. There is little room for mistakes. The work place culture was very diverse, and everyone seemed to keep to themselves, I am a people person so this took some time to get use to. The hardest part of the job was having to deny appeals, and grievances for reason's the customer just couldn't seem to understand. I enjoyed the perks of working in executive services, Tiger games, concerts, etc.
Company is Department scpecific.
Grievance and Appeals Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 18, 2018
This is an awesome company but your time there could be miserable if you pick the wrong department. The management style of your area may cause you to hate your job.
Depends on your manager
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 17, 2018
Your experience on your manager. I had the experience of working for one really great boss and one really bad boss. The bad boss wasnt by my choice and that was a big part of it.
Very rigid and old-fashioned culture
IT AUDITOR (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 17, 2018
The company culture is very rigid and extremely dated. There is little collaboration and a tremendous focus on the corporate structure. Everyone must be careful to use the hierarchy, bcc assistants, and even address letters to the highest ranking individuals before others can be listed.

There is also a strong corporate culture of diversity, but it seems to be extremely one-sided. There were diversity events nearly every month, most basically mandatory, but they only seemed to ever focus on the African-American culture. I did learn a lot, which was a benefit, but I also believe that there was a lot of missed opportunity there.
The Blues
Sr. Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 10, 2018
typical work day=putting out fires
what did I learn=how to dummy down to engage with senior leaders
management=AIM
workplace culture=cut-throat
the hardest part of the job=understanding what management wants
the most enjoyable part of the job=my boss
Pros
Great boss, insurance, Pto
Cons
lack of leadership thus mentoring
Poor work culture!
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 8, 2018
The Detroit location was the WORST work culture ever. The women are disrespectful and condescending. I was harassed and bullied on more than one occasion by leadership, and people in leadership are not held accountable for their actions. They also turn their heads when someone who they favor does something wrong. I have yet to meet someone trustworthy. Very cut and dry and the Union Reps don't care much in certain departments.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Rude management, Rude team leaders, Hostile Environment
Productive and complex
Senior Information Designer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 8, 2018
Overall, the biggest positive was the team I worked with. They sought to overcome challenges within health insurance. The team was always enthusiastic.
Cons
poorly organized
Strong corporation
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 5, 2018
It was exciting to work for the largest, best-known health insurance provider in the state. It was a typical corporate setting with plenty of meetings.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
poor job security
Pleasant environment with nice people
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 4, 2018
Worked as contractor. No job security. Contractors added and letgo on a regular basis within this department. Communication on a "need to know" basis. Contractors not included in corporate or departmental activities. However, there were contractors within other departments that had worked there for many years as contractors.
Very poor communication within department.
While it was difficult working as a contractor, employees were wonderful to work with and seemed satisfied in their work.
I would recommend working at BCBSM as a direct hire.
Pros
Supportive, friendly people
Cons
no job security
Potential for advancement in a fast-paced culture
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 3, 2018
Potential for advancement in a fast-paced culture. Typical workday consisted of analyzing client data for cross-selling opportunities; recommending best product that met client need. I enjoyed most customer interaction and problem-solving.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Our community is ready to answer.