Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island Employee Reviews

the worst company I have ever worked for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 29, 2017
No support, treated like dirt, expected to pander to customers while systems don't work. Premiums increased exponentially while Board and officers coast.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
It's only a job and you don't know how long it will last.
Workplace culture is awful
Finance (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 25, 2017
This is a tough place to work. People who work with you regularly will not even look at you as they walk by in the halls. I've never worked in such an unfriendly environment. Management is bad and getting worse. They have these one on one meetings but don't actually listen or care when you identify issues. They don't do anything to promote a sense of team and belonging. They do not care about the people. It seems there are some people who are happy to work here, but for the most part, the culture just brings you down. New people are ignored, it's not welcoming, people who are supposed to train you - just don't. There is no accountability. It's really demoralizing. They are not inclusive, not a cohesive team environment, just very demoralizing. It's too bad, I guess people view new-hires as competition and they do their best to make it an awful experience. Some areas (outside of customer service) experience a lot of attrition and it's easy to see why.
Pros
Vacation time, community involvement, some good people
Cons
Management just does't care - they don't value employees. Unfriendly staff.
UnOrganized Company
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 5, 2017
It was not what I expected it to be. The benefits are great but the Company is completely unorganized. Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI does not view Mid-Wives and Chiropractors "Real Doctors" according to them. I thought that was so rude and it affect pregnant women who see a Mid-Wife verses an MD. That will affect your benefits (STD). I felt this information was with held from the employees.
no reveiw
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 7, 2017
benefits were good when it was blue cross until it was bought by ntt dat / dell ... other then that I don't feel comfortable putting anything else . it is no longer blue cross but dell so things are now much different
Used to be a good company but now most of it is owed by Dell
Member/Provider Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 7, 2017
Worked for the company for 5+ years and loved it but after the company merged with Dell its just not the same. Everything is about money and no one cares about the customer or the employees any more. The provider call center was outsourced to the Philippines.
Pros
None anymore
Cons
Forced overtime, benefits are horrible, poor management
great place to work
Correspondence Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 14, 2017
great place to work , flexable hours, work from home. Great experience with outsourcing and training is available, Management is great too, Very friendly
An organization in tremendous flux
Sr Analyst (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 8, 2017
I worked in one of the major corporate departments, an area that saw four different managing executives in less than three years. Needless to say, this created a very difficult working environment as the areas goals changed with every new leader. During this same period the organization let over half of its workforce go by outsourcing positions to various vendors. This lead to an almost toxic work environment as everyone was constantly looking over their shoulder. It was also a job where you needed to make as few waves as possible, as speaking up was not looked as a positive trait. This is not to say that they were dishonest or nasty, they were not and always tried to maintain professional standards, it was just that those standards were becoming pretty threadbare during the time period I worked there. In the end, I left for greener pastures as I realized that just being hardworking and gifted in your role was not enough to ensure yourself a role or even job satisfaction once you accepted the tenuous nature of your employment.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Limited job security and strained company culture
Healthcare Payor Internship Role
Project Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 6, 2017
Hired as an intern I was learning each day as I went along during a very large implementation and the support and staff was undeniably helpful. This is a great position for anybody to get their feet wet as a PM in order to truly understand what they would like to continue with as a professional.
PMO Business Analyst, Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 3, 2015
Strong Governance throughout the product development life cycle. Procurement processes can be optimized with a stronger emphasis on holding employees accountable for charging billable time to active work placed on projects.
Good work environment, strong management support system
Member and Provider Customer Rep (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 7, 2015
I enjoyed working at BCBSRI, the management was very supportive. There were always new things to learn so that you were not doing the exact same thing everyday, The only downfall was that there needed to be more communication between departments.
Great diverse community with hard working people
Test Analyst Intern/ EDI Technology (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 22, 2015
I've learned how to use HP Quality Center, work in Healthcare insurance, use Facets, file claims, execute test case scenarios, create design steps, use Microsoft Office on a daily basis and send emails continuously throughout my day.
Pros
Multiple Projects
Cons
Downtime
A Great Learning Experience
Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 2, 2015
Although I learned a lot, there was not much room for advancement. Very low morale within departments and lack of team players. Not a positive or fun environment to work in. Training our offshore team my daily job duties that lead to my and many others layoff.
Pros
BCBCRI offers excellent benefits and good pay. The company offers excellent flexible hours.
Cons
Management/Supervisors major lack of professionalism. No room for advancement
I loved my job at BCBS, and was extremely disappointed when they decided to eliminate the Case Management Department.
Certified Nurse Case Manager (CCM) (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 7, 2015
I called an average of 10-15 patients per day, depending on their acuity. I provided patient education and emotional support. I was selected for this position because of my familiarity with Hospice/Palliative care. I believe I provided a valuable service, and was formally recognized several times by the CEO, due to the letters he received from my Clients, or their family members. The hardest part of the job was when BCBS started requiring Case Managers to assume more and more Clients. When I was hired, the average Client load was 20-22...by the time they began the lay-off, and eventual dismantling of the entire Dept., I had a Caseload of 70. This was very difficult, as most of my Clients were very high acuity, requiring more patient education, and emotional support (in the form of more telephone contact), than the average Client. Many of them were eventually deemed terminal, and I would facilitate their transfer to a Palliative or Hospice Program. I loved my job, and, frankly, felt quite devastated when HR called us in that day, without warning, and said our positions were eliminated. We went home that day. I never had a chance to call my Clients for Closure, many of whom I had worked with for over a year, as they went through their Chemotherapy and Radiation, surgery, etc. My co-workers all felt equally traumatized by the way it was handled.
Pros
Fully vested in Pension, after 5 years of service.
Cons
Was laid off just months before I became fully vested in the Pension. As a widow, this was very disturbing to me.
Government Program Reviewer
Government Programs Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 24, 2015
Blue Cross is working to make healthcare more affordable by tackling the primary drivers of healthcare costs—and health insurance premiums.
Good company
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 14, 2015
The focus is on customers and products are good. At times, the information given during training and by supervisors and during quality assurance monitors are contradictory. Depending on monitors you, you will either be complimented for handling the way you handled the situation or written up for the way you handled the situation.
loved it
Customer Service Representative Temp (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 11, 2014
great day to day experience, good to employees, nice enviorment
Great People Great Care!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 9, 2014
This job made me feel fulfilled! I was able to make a lot of people happy although came times when I had to say no, however the good times made everything well worth it!
Difficult Environment
Project Manager/Service Level Manager (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 5, 2014
Much confusion, short on staff, responsibilities not understood. Widespread lack of accountability.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Environment
A great learing experience
Customer and Provider Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 3, 2014
Although I learned a lot, there was not much room for advancement.
Pros
Great immediate supervisors
Cons
no advancement
Great third shift work environment
Windows 7 Migration (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 24, 2014
Worked third shift (re) imaging laptop workstations. Was a nice place to work since it was nice and quiet and did not have the pressures of face to face interaction with the users.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island. Our community is ready to answer.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island Reviews by Location