Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island Employee Reviews

A Great Learning Experience
Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee), Providence, RIJune 2, 2015
Pros: BCBCRI offers excellent benefits and good pay. The company offers excellent flexible hours.
Cons: Management/Supervisors major lack of professionalism. No room for advancement
Although I learned a lot, there was not much room for advancement. Very low morale within departments and lack of team players. Not a positive or fun environment to work in. Training our offshore team my daily job duties that lead to my and many others layoff.
I loved my job at BCBS, and was extremely disappointed when they decided to eliminate the Case Management Department.
Certified Nurse Case Manager (CCM) (Former Employee), Providence, RIApril 7, 2015
Pros: Fully vested in Pension, after 5 years of service.
Cons: Was laid off just months before I became fully vested in the Pension. As a widow, this was very disturbing to me.
I called an average of 10-15 patients per day, depending on their acuity. I provided patient education and emotional support. I was selected for this position because of my familiarity with Hospice/Palliative care. I believe I provided a valuable service, and was formally recognized several times by the CEO, due to the letters he received from my Clients, or their family members. The hardest part of the job was when BCBS started requiring Case Managers to assume more and more Clients. When I was hired, the average Client load was 20-22...by the time they began the lay-off, and eventual dismantling of the entire Dept., I had a Caseload of 70. This was very difficult, as most of my Clients were very high acuity, requiring more patient education, and emotional support (in the form of more telephone contact), than the average Client. Many of them were eventually deemed terminal, and I would facilitate their transfer to a Palliative or Hospice Program. I loved my job, and, frankly, felt quite devastated when HR called us in that day, without warning, and said our positions were eliminated. We went home that day. I never had a chance to call my Clients for Closure, many of whom I had worked with for over a year, as they went through their Chemotherapy and Radiation, surgery, etc. My co-workers all felt equally traumatized by the way it was handled.
Government Program Reviewer
Government Programs Reviewer (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 24, 2015
Blue Cross is working to make healthcare more affordable by tackling the primary drivers of healthcare costs—and health insurance premiums.
Good company
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 14, 2015
The focus is on customers and products are good. At times, the information given during training and by supervisors and during quality assurance monitors are contradictory. Depending on monitors you, you will either be complimented for handling the way you handled the situation or written up for the way you handled the situation.
loved it
Customer Service Representative Temp (Former Employee), Providence, RIOctober 11, 2014
great day to day experience, good to employees, nice enviorment
Great People Great Care!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Providence, RIAugust 9, 2014
This job made me feel fulfilled! I was able to make a lot of people happy although came times when I had to say no, however the good times made everything well worth it!
Difficult Environment
Project Manager/Service Level Manager (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 5, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: environment
Much confusion, short on staff, responsibilities not understood. Widespread lack of accountability.
A great learing experience
Customer and Provider Service Representative (Former Employee), Providence, RIJune 3, 2014
Pros: great immediate supervisors
Cons: no advancement
Although I learned a lot, there was not much room for advancement.
Great third shift work environment
Windows 7 Migration (Former Employee), Providence, RIApril 24, 2014
Worked third shift (re) imaging laptop workstations. Was a nice place to work since it was nice and quiet and did not have the pressures of face to face interaction with the users.
Good place to work.
Analyst II (Current Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 2, 2014
Good place to work for. Work from 8am-4pm.
Pay is good. Benefits are good. More than 20 paid time off days per year. Parking in the city is always expensive.
good work environment, flexible hours, good benefits.
Case Specialist (Former Employee), Providence, RIOctober 29, 2013
BCBCRI offers excellent benefits and good pay. The company offers excellent flexible hours, a comfortable team work environment.
especially loved my Medicare members
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Providence, RIOctober 17, 2013
Worked with an excellent team where we all loved being team players which is my priority.
Toxic Environment
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 18, 2013
Pros: standard hours - supports work life balance
Cons: standard hours - constrains ability to get things done timely.
Key people who can make a difference typically leave within two years of joining. The management team do a fair job of communicating to the organization.
Telecommuting position Good work conditions
Medical Underwriter (Former Employee), Providence, RIMay 8, 2013
Telecommuting position Good work conditions Clean working areas, good guidance
Low morale and inept management
EPMO Analyst (Former Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: lunch rooms; providence location
Cons: no support or respect for one another
Beautiful building with all the office necessities but very low morale and the lack of team players.

March 7, 2013

I worked for 3 months at BCBS and it was a nightmare. I was treated so poorly from day one. Like the other person wrote, the morale is very low and the management is completely inept. Also, there are very few team players... you feel like everyone is out to get you. No one mentors, supports or guides. You are left on your own to figures things out which I did very well but it was not recognized.

Difficult
Provider Service Representative (Former Employee), Providence, RIDecember 12, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: pay
Need a great deal of patience dealing with members, providers, calls are timed