Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas Employee Reviews

A company that cares about it's employees
Behavioral Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 14, 2015
The work culture is comfortable and facility is exceptional. I definitely enjoyed my co-workers and department as well as benefits.
Pros
Free Lunches, Benefits, Work Schedule
Cons
Short Breaks, Sometimes understaffed
Positive Culture
community outreach (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2015
It has been a privilege to work with BCBS. I enjoy the work life balance and overall positive work environment. I feel respected and valued by my team, upper management, and all BCBS departments.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Working weekends
Excellent Values and Mission
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 6, 2015
In my time with this company they are known for a great work life balance and they have more employees that have longevity with the company that any other company I have worked for. That speaks volumes to the integrity and value the company has for it's employees.
Pros
Great all around company
Cons
Honestly, I can not think of any right now
Provider Advocate
Buffalo Wild Wings Server (Current Employee) –  marshall texasSeptember 28, 2015
Its a good place to work. There is room to move around and you can work at home on some positions. I love it, it has good insurance and awesome support system.
Customer Advocate Specialist for Expedited Appeal Cases
Customer Service Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Abilene TexasSeptember 4, 2015
Provide concierge customer service to members and providers through working production with appeal requests (clinical, non-clinical, and third party) and with predetermination requests for service. Assigned primarily to Expedited Appeals, Pre-service medical and Medication requests with a 48/72 hour timeline of completion. Assigned to on call responsibilities on a rotational basis.
Expedited Appeals are for the potential for loss of life or limb circumstances.
Responsible for accurate research and documentation of information
Responsible for providing accurate information of inquiry
Responsible for research, compilation, and response from the Medical Review Unit to the members and to the providers
Responsible for communication to the patient and to the provider in appeal finalization of appeal determination.
Pros
I really enjoy the flexible shift and the ability to work from home as needed.
Cons
It is a high demanding job and can be stressful.
Good steady work and office enviroment
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 25, 2015
The company is a good one to work for. The benefits are good and the work is steady, always 40 plus hours a week. It is strictly computer entry work, I became efficient with word and excel. Management was hard working and caring about their employees. I got along with everyone I worked with. The hardest part of the job was working sometimes every Saturday during the month. I worked there for 16 years and enjoyed the company and the management.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Hard to get time off
wonderful place to work with family values
Behavioral Health Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 29, 2015
fantastic opportunities for growth. The company is very understanding and willing to work with you regarding family issues or schedule conflicts.
Fast-paced workplace environment with room for growth
BENEFITS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 28, 2015
Very structured, high energy inbound call center. Monthly evaluations made with emphasis on quality and speed of each call. Many opportunities for advancement within the company based on performance.
Pros
Good entry-level pay, periodic raises
Cons
Short breaks, timed bathroom breaks
Great company
QC (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 27, 2015
It's a great company to work for.
People that work for this comapny are graeet.
Hard to promote, somtimes you are not even giving a chance even if you have the qualifications.
Working with Providers and retaining information in order to process claims.
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 15, 2015
I really enjoy working for blue cross blue shield, my co-worker was like family. My hardest part of the job is the job is going away. The most enjoyable part of job the is everyone is working as a team to provide correct information for patients to get there claims process and paid.
Pros
healthy eating and flex time
Cons
no break rooms
Great Employer
Correspondent Advocate (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJune 25, 2015
BCBS is a great company to work for. I was promoted after a year of employment, and there is room to grow with this company. They offer an on-site workout facility, a large cafeteria that caters to people of various dietary needs, and a community atmosphere.
Diverse work environment
Developmental Claims Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJune 24, 2015
Typically I review employee reports to determine employee performance, produce and examine reports to show training areas individually, payroll, scheduling of time off. I also work with my peers to help identify training needs and learning opportunities within their own units so that my team may be able to assist in helping with additional training for any low performers.

I have served on many Divisional committees in which I have shown leading results.

During times of hiring, I am in charge of all job postings (both internal and external), including all applicant screening, interviews and making offers of employment.

I have great attention to detail and showed this capability both as an auditor and as the Quality Supervisor for both Claims and Inquiry Departments.

I can work both independently and on a team. I am very analytical, including changing of workflows to meet business needs, job placement, and both hiring and terminating employees. Our attrition level dropped significantly within our office once the hiring process was taken over by myself.

The biggest thing that I have learned is to identify and accommodate different learning styles and personality traits. By doing so, I have become much better at coaching and communicating with my employees in a way that reaches them. This enables them to grow and succeed in their positions so that they are able to promote and make a career with our company and it does not become "just another job". The return on that is the most favorite part of my job.

I would say that the most difficult part of my job,
  more... for me, is to say no. I like to learn as much as I can and be part of change and implementation. Sometimes this can cause me to have too much on my plate. I do enjoy having a fast and busy work environment, however I have also learned that having too much on my plate can cause me to work more hours in the day to ensure all tasks are completed timely and accurately.

I am looking for a professional position that allows me to use the knowledge base that I have acquired over the past several years. I am a loyal employee as you can see from my job history. I would like a career with longevity and room for growth.

Thank you for your time.

Stephanie Owen
Pros
Diverse work environment, flex time, a great work family
Cons
They are sending our claims to be processed offshore.
BCBSTX was an OK place to work
IT Lead (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJune 17, 2015
Typical day at work generally consisted of 1) work, 2) interuptions and 3) meetings. Progress was generally made by end of day. Learning new things occur daily. Management was generally good, not all managers were up to par. Not all coworkers were up to par as well. The hardest part of the job was finding quite time to work and focus. Small noisy cubes. Most enjoyable part was getting a thank you from a user.
Pros
generally good benefits, nice cafeteria, ok gym
Cons
noisy small cubes for office space
Outstanding employer
Customer Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Marshall, TXMay 26, 2015
At Blue Cross Blue Shield I am rewarded the right to work from home and a typical day consists of inbound calls from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. During my tenure I have learned the ins and outs of medical insurance practices including claims adjustments. My supervisor and management team are exceptional and incredible to work with. I am finding that telecommunications may not be my desired career choice as it is not difficult but the company as a whole has an increasingly difficult time and call goal to maintain and I exceed this goal regularly by 15 seconds which is causing corrective action. This stress is overall unhealthy for me. I love everything about this company as whole.
Pros
outstanding benefits
Cons
stressful goals
Older culture but a company with great possibilities
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 2, 2015
The culture can be a bit cut-throat. The culture is very old school, especially technologically, but they are slowly coming around.
Pros
Great campus
Cons
Advancement is limited
Flexable work hours for family needes.
Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 20, 2015
Great place to work with, wonderful co-workers, A very balanced work enviornment with very knowledgable managers and team leads.
Pros
Healthcare Benefits and flexable full time work hours
Lots of benefits
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Marshall, TXMarch 17, 2015
This job has many awesome benefits, but it seemed to change my home life. You have to be a very strong individual to not let angry people get to you. If things do not get to you easily, this would be an awesome job for you.
Pros
atmosphere, benefits, 401k, discounts
Cons
emotional
Excting and fun workplace
Sales Delivery Support Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXMarch 3, 2015
Excellent company to work for. I have enjoyed my time here. My position is being outsourced. I have learned a lot about the insurance enviorment. The flexibility in the work hours will be truly missed.
Overall, not bad, but you feel like you work for Initech...
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 4, 2015
Having an 8-5 job is very much a blessing, especially with a flexible schedule. The management could be much, much better. They're gonna need you to come in on Saturday...
Great workplace
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TexasFebruary 2, 2015
Awesome job, great supervisors, excellent opportunity for advancement, I loved this job and should have never resigned.