Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,240 reviews matching the search
do not work here if you have young children
customer/provider service (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 12, 2016
not the ideal work place in if you have small children.you get written up for eveytime you leave early or do not come in.this is why the turn over rate is so high.you get a QA score 3x's a month a one on one with your supervisor once a month to see where your stats are and if you met quality for the month to be eligible for bonuses for the quarter which is nearly impossible your compared against the whole call center even if your a new employee.your QA score has to be above 90 to pass.no raises unless again your quality is good.the only good thing about this place was the benefit.but even that is gone since it was bought out by Dell.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance, management has too high of expectations.
CareFirst has room for improvement
Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2016
Overall CareFirst is truly a great company, it just depends on which department you work in. The benefits and additional perks to employees is superb by many business standards.

What I found most challenging is leadership and professional growth opportunities. A testament to this company's treatment of its employees is the number of CareFirst associates who have been with the company 10, 20, 30 + years. While this is awesome, the downside is it leaves little room for advancement. Newer talented staff are forced to leave CareFirst to explore professional growth opportunities, which is why the need for re-organization of leadership and business practices is necessary to maintain a younger more innovative employee.

I do believe the CEO rules with an iron-fist and NO ONE ever rocks the boat, even when it's obvious that the boat needs to be rocked. PCMH is not the answer to healthcare but NO ONE has the nerve to say it.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of corporate and professional growth
Difficult to move upward
Provider Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 16, 2016
The culture has changed a great deal since I joined the company 3 years ago. Where previously what I was excited about was the ability to spend time in a position, master it, and then start progressing to my next career goal, I am now seeing that upward movement has been difficult. The only way to advance would be to do a lateral move to another department and then try to advance within that other department, or to leave the company all together.
Pros
Flexibile work options (WFH), on-campus facilities
Cons
Declining benefits package, difficult to advance, no recognition for internal talent
Customer Service Department
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winston Salem, NCMarch 21, 2016
This is a great company to work with. The customer service department is overly stressful.. The rules for Quality Control were always changing. Agents cannot be taking phone calls back to back and working through emails that require vast amounts of reading. often times the representative was not aware of these changes. This would result in the representative getting a poor score on a phone call, and then threats of termination. The company culture is fun and upbeat. They provide plenty of paid time off and at some locations there are full service cafeteria's and celebrations for all different causes. The people for the most part are wonderful. The hardest part of the job was the unnecessary micro management of the representatives' phone calls. I do not believe this is true for every department from what other workers have shared.
Excellent. I had a 20 Year Tenure with this Corporation.
Sr. Systems Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 15, 2016
I started my career with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida in November, 1988. This corporation offered many job advancement opportunities especially for women. I progressed very quickly in my career and had an great opportunity for 20 years of employment. They offered an excellent benefit package and flexible work hours. I learned many job skills in 20 years that I have had the pleasure of using in my past positions since leaving. These skills have built my strengths as an individual.
Pros
Excellent Benefit Package. Flexible Work Environment. Most teams were great to work with.
Cons
Some of the management staff were not good leaders. However, that was over a 20 year time period.
Great pay& benefits, but some double standards apply
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 6, 2016
Management is usually never to be found, most times you will not get the real answers & things always were dragged out even though it is a production based environment. In the end, the moral is pretty poor when in the beginning they said they cared about you an your family but after a while you end up just seeing how they just kept changing things constantly and expected you to keep up with your numbers with little to no training. I learned so much in my time there which is forever valuable, but due to all the healthcare changes this market I fear will continue to struggle in terms of keeping employees up to date and happy along with balancing treating their employees right. It can be for some people just not for everyone. Better management I think will help in my opinion. The work is very interesting if you like to learn new stuff, I just wish they would give people a little more slack when expected to shift back and fort between projects and not take it out on your raises and reviews.
Pros
bonuses, flex hours
Cons
mandatory OT, limited time off around holidays
Nice working area which has tiny park for work out.
Sr. Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 13, 2016
Blue Cross Blue Shield at Texas recently laid off more than 175 employee because the new CEO wants to outsource the IT jobs to offside group and that's why impacted my career for over there which I've been working for over 10 years. My last day will be 02/19/2016.

In Blue Cross Blue Shield my job was maintain and develop the Mainframe systems - Electronic Claims Systems by using a lot of Mainframe tools.

I'm good team player and enjoyed working with my Co-workers in our group. The most enjoyable part is I met a lot different people in Blue Cross Blue Shield.

I don't remember there is any very hard part in my job because most job issues were handle properly and efficiency way. Our customers always satisfy our service.

Over all I have wonderful time in Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Thanks.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Cafeteria Salar Bar cost too much.
A really great place to work
Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 18, 2016
I absolutely loved working for BCBST; the work environment was amazing the people were friendly and management was very helpful. The work location had a fantastic view of downtown Chattanooga, Tn. Work life balance was wonderful because of the great hours and weekends off, however the work environment was so great that weekends were just the proverbial icing on the cake.
Pros
Wonderful work environment and the work load was reasonable, management and co-workers were phenomenal.
Cons
Although the scenery is amazing downtown, finding parking and 5 o'clock traffic were not so fun.
Great company, but poor middle-management
Manager in Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 12, 2015
BlueCross BlueShield of TN is a great company, and I'm grateful for my experience here. The company is ethical and truly cares about its members - I would have no problem recommending BlueCross to someone looking for insurance. However, middle-management is a problem, and lately there has been a ton of people quitting or getting fired. I don't have faith in my job security here and can't figure out how some people got to the levels they are. My department (Marketing) is just very unstable at the moment and I don't recommend anyone work in this area right now, especially if job security and job satisfaction are important.
Pros
Competitive Salary, Great Benefits, Genuine CEO
Cons
No Work/Life Balance, Poor Middle-Management
Bcbsga
Customer Care Representative I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 18, 2016
Management can ask a lot from you, but give only so much back.

Opportunities for growth is available for those who position themselves correctly. Initiative is important.

One has to be willing to serve above and beyond. It is all about the member, keep them happy.

As expected, the benefits are very good The most challenging part is keeping customers calm, when their claim did not process as they would prefer. It is at those times when tact and empathy are critical.
Pros
Performance Based Anxiety. I have seen people go to the hospital, due to excessive stress.
Cons
Pressure
If you know the right people, you'll go far
Provider Advisor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 16, 2016
Initially the job was pretty cut and dry, and for the most part enjoyable. However at a moment's notice, I was required to do the job of 3 people with no training and no pay raise. When I inquired about the increase in duties, I was told that everyone had to double up on work, which I later found to be not true. Also, each time I applied for promotions, I was denied. I was denied for jobs I was well qualified for, but the jobs always went to "friends" of managers of those positions.
Pros
Free medical insurance
Cons
Advancement not easily obtained
Great for employees, lousy for contractors
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 20, 2016
In my particular department, management was great and the team was very supportive. I would have stayed there a long time if I had been an employee. As a contractor, I always felt less than the regular employees: no entry card, ID, health insurance (go figure), vacation time, or sick time. The contracting agency was not forthcoming about the lack of benefits.
Pros
home-work balance, telecommuting, great team.
Cons
No vacation, no sick time, no health insurance, job instability, no opportunity for growth
Get as far away from the PMO office as humanly possible
Manager, Project Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2016
This organization seemed great at first, and it appears some departments have a fairly decent work environment, but the PMO office is a joke. The leadership is worse than incompetent - politics, backstabbing, managers that demean employees, favoritism and a fear culture are what day to day life looks like. There is never a compliment given that doesn't have an accompanying criticism. There is no development except for training developed in house by laughable Services Quality team. Management by sarcasm and bullying is par for the course. Every day at work is like being in an adult version of mean girls. The pay is ok, the insurance is nothing special and you are expected to work 50+ hours a week and volunteer on your free time. Stay away!
Productive and good work environment.
Claims Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCNovember 5, 2015
Great place to work. I was able to grow and develop even greater skills while employed there. Great team environment . Upper management did a lot to ensure compliance was being met and took fairly good care of its employees as well as clients. They also worked hard to see that contract goals were kept and met. Fairly good job security also. Learned so much while being there. Colleagues were helpful with each other. We were more like family which made work environment easier to carry out tasks assigned.
Pros
Insurance benefits and special incentives.
Cons
Need to take in account and value employee concerns in working environment.
Great place
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2016
From the moment I walked in the door, everyone was so nice and helpful. People usually retorr from this company, they dont leave. Management in government programs is great, the field is expanding and booming. There is so much room for upward mobility, people stay in positions for 6 months and get promoted. Excellent benefits and a great downtown work environment.
Pros
Good benefits, great work atmosphere
Cons
Downtown parking or take the L. You have to pay 134 a month for parking.
Nice environment
IT Testing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 13, 2016
Always new things to learn and team mates are always helpful. Most of management is professional. The company promotes team building and volunteer work.
Benefits
Cons
Politics
Amazing Place to work
Acct Implementation Spec/Enrollment Ops Analyst (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 6, 2016
I had an amazing time working at BCBSRI and wish my career could have continued here. The value that this company puts on work life balance is remarkable. I have never worked anywhere else that was so focused on making associates happy at home and at work.
Pros
Amazing co-workers, great cafeteria food, gym and close to mall
Cons
Being outsourced
Ok place, not enough pay for the work
Adjustments Processor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 8, 2016
The place is ok, you work much harder but you get paid the salary of a fast food place. They don't promote within the company. But its a decent place overall. It's not horrible. But I wouldn't make it my career choice. It's just a job until you find something that can actually pay your bills.
Pros
friendly, gym, healthy options, can work from home in certain areas
Cons
pay, can be stressful in certain departments
Okay place to work except for management.
Systems Analysts (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga TNOctober 24, 2015
Years ago this was a great place to work where the employees were important. Over the years top level management changed many times and so did lower and middle management. The newer leadership placed less value on employees and more value on their own salaries and benefits. People were being fired for even the smallest mistakes that in the past would not have cost a person's job. Many people were leaving as well because of poor leadership. Job security does not exist here. I would not recommend this company for anything.
Pros
Nice campus and great co-workers.
Cons
All levels of management.
Membership Enrollment/AR Reconciliation/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 18, 2016
This company has very good qualities. They believe in giving good service to both their customers and employees.
Management believed in promoting from within and did so on a person's skills and professionalism.

I worked in Several different departments when employed by this company and can say that my co-workers were great to be around on a daily basis..
Pros
great benefits-free parking