Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Reviews

Found 3,615 reviews matching the search
Productive, Serious minded and hard workers.
New Business Coordinator/Quoted (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, IllinoisJanuary 4, 2017
A typical day at work includes using various software in order to accomplish my job. Normally I use about 5-6 different screens in order to perform. I solve problems, input data, quote rates for ongoing and perspective clients, renew existing customers when their policy's are ready to renew or make changes to their policy when needed.

I learned that when you work in a healthy environment it makes your day go by with ease and problem solving becomes less stress.

Management team at BCBS is very informative and the training is phenominal. No part of my job is hard. I most enjoy the day when I have someone say "Thank You".
Benefits
Cons
Job security is not promised
Great employer in Richardson area
Sales Operations (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 5, 2017
Though times are currently tough in healthcare insurance, BCBSTX (under Healthcare Service Corp. HCSC) is finding new ways to continue competing in the industry while retaining talent. The Richardson headquarters houses the Marketing, Underwriting, Network, and ITG resources as well as other support areas. Most management positions report to Chicago headquarters. Benefits, work environment, etc. are top notch.
Pros
Above-average benefits, highly competitive pay, well-maintained building, excellent location.
Cons
Smaller workforce following tough financial times in insurance field.
Used to be a great place to work
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILNovember 1, 2016
But outsourcing or offshoring much of I.T. has really caused this place to have as much appeal as a morgue.

While certainly some systems needed upgrading, as with most companies, this has devastated many people's lives, all due to the greed of those set to bonus from the bottom line.

Over 300 VPs in a company of 22k employees, and they'll have just under 6k by the end of the first quarter of 2017. How many VPs will they need?

Very political, so be prepared for that. Not judged on skill, but who you know.

It USED to be a great place to work. Benefits have gotten very average, and don't think you'll be saving a lot on health insurance, especially if you don't select the HMO.
Pros
Work/life balance is pretty good, depending on your management
Cons
16k jobs lost/outsourced/off-shored.
Geared toward youth.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 23, 2016
Great company to work if you are under 50. I currently have a provider service position which is very fast paced. I gained knowledge of health insurance benefits, claims processing and how they function together. Co-workers are wonderful and very diverse. The hardest part of the job is watching every word you say to the provider when giving benefits. The slightest mistake can be devastating to the provider, the member and to you. The most enjoyable part of my job is talking with the pleasant provider reps and they are more abundant than the ones who aren't so pleasant. I am a telecommuter and enjoy working from home. I appreciate my job.
Pros
Bonuses, good health insurance benefits, 401K company match, good place for advancement for the younger generation.
Cons
Breaks and lunch are monitored closeley, Your phone calls are recorded and monitored, You have to be logged in on the phone and ready to start on the minute, Also, you have to be able to take a lot of criticism from upper management and from the callers.
Wonderful Place To Work
Small Group Member Level Processor (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CANovember 16, 2016
I loved working here. My supervisor's were amazing and the staff in my department were very helpful. Management consistently cross-trained us so we were able to stay flexible with job positions. I was there for only only 2 months and was able to meet the CEO and VP of the company and was constantly praised by my supervisors for the work I was doing for the company. Work was steady every day but nothing over-bearing
Pros
Steady work b/c of medical insurance open enrollment, Supervisors cross-trained, Cafeteria on-site
Cons
Permanent positions take time to attain, Lay-offs when work is slow
Blue cross blue shield
Linux / Build and Release Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 21, 2017
I loved working here. My supervisors were amazing and the staff in my department were very helpful. Management consistently cross-trained us so we were able to stay flexible with job positions. I was there for only-only 2 months and was able to meet the CEO and VP of the company and was constantly praised by my supervisors for the work I was doing for the company. Work was steady every day but nothing overbearing
Great Work Place
Trainer II (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 29, 2016
Finally an organization that gets it. Anthem promotes and supports a work life balance along with a culture with employees consideration. As with any company there are areas for growth, but Anthem invest in their employees. Compensation, Benefits, and room for advancement are among its highest qualities.
Pros
Cons
HR Department
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 18, 2016
I have worked at Blue off and on for the past 7 years. Great benefits, good work culture-they work hard to promote a good work/life balance. Involved in community. Encourage growth and promotion from within.
Pros
Really seem to care about employees
Cons
Some management not as supportive as others.
Okay job great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNFebruary 2, 2017
I would say just an okay place to work. The benefits are great but working in a call center is frustrating. This place is very disorganized. In my role I deal with mainly insurance agents, who complain how downhill the company had gone in recent years daily. Issues never get resolved and management is unwilling to help. When I took the position I was under the impression that bonuses would be adequate (possibly an extra couple thousand dollars a year). Not the case at all.bonuses are maybe an extra $150-$200/quarter if you're lucky. My first "bonus" was $80. Really not worth all the bs you deal with. Also told you can advance and move into a different role within a year, it's more like 2-3. There's a really high turn over rate and training is a bit over the top, considering most of my knowledge was gained on the job. Training was about 18 weeks, which is ridiculous for this type of position. Attendance policy is based on a points system. An absence is 1 occurance, tardies are on a 1/4 of an hour basis. If you accrue 12 you are terminated. I have gained a lot of knowledge in the healthcare field and have decided to pursue a career in that fiend, so that is one of the positives.
Benefits
Cons
Attendance policy, bonuses, management
Bc bs of sc
Provider Enrollment Analyst (Temporary Position) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 20, 2017
BC BS of SC is a great company to work at with the right department and management. I had a wonderful training experience and the overall attitude of the training department is informational.

My first 4 months were wasted by sitting around waiting on my computer, training and direction on what exactly I was going to do be doing daily.

The workplace culture is in need of extensive overhaul with a new management line up including professionals that really care about their employees and what the company stands for in regards to mission/vision in addition core values.
Pros
Great traning
Cons
Some members of management is unprofessional and overall job culture needs some extensive work
Management is Not Flexible
Prior Auth Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 8, 2017
Blue Shield provided three weeks of class training for temp hires, which in essence is not only necessary, but is a great idea. The only problem is, since there's only one instructor, for both the Bay Area and Roseville offices, it was apparent that the trainer was irritable with questions regarding PBM training. Also, the class was under the impression that management, specifically supervisors, were approachable enough for any questions regarding PBM that we have. Found out the hard way, not only were our respective supervisors difficult to reach, they only make time when they have time. Plus, we can not ask just any supervisor, we can only ask our respective supervisor of questions regarding PBM, unless we have the permission of our supervisor through email. We cannot voice our opinions or disagreement, as this context will be taken as insubordination.
Pros
Camaraderie, assisting each other with problems on pharmacy benefits questions
Cons
short breaks, paranoia with supervisors
Productive place to work with plenty of employee engagement
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 15, 2017
Prepare meeting materials, attend meetings, record minutes. Support 2 VP's. Support Pharmacy Management team. Coordinate lunches, department move and prepare/send correspondence. I learned about the process for determining rates of new drugs. Excellent management team that worked together. Culture was professional. Hardest - coordinating department move to off-site facility during month end and Medicare changes involving correspondence to hundreds of providers. (It was awesome).
Most enjoyable - Involvement in company activities for employees and vendors.
Pros
Corporate was very aware of employee importance and often rewarded employees.
No problems with blue Cross
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 8, 2016
Competitive benefits and salary. I enjoyed working for this company. I never had a problem with management or the staff. I loved the fact that they had a cafeteria on site. And I also liked the flexible schedule if needed.
Pros
Cafeteria on site and the bonus incentive
Cons
Advancement foe employees
Temp Role
Pharmacy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MADecember 23, 2016
I began my career at Blue Cross Blue Shield in October as a Temp. The job it's self is very easy. I manage 30+ calls a day, multi-task between different interfaces. I speak with doctors, nurses, pharamists, and deal with approving memebers medications and verfying medical information
Pros
cafeteria with cheap options, 10-6 M-F schedule, very open with management
Cons
commuting, pay, no benefits, understaffed
Teamwork encouraged, Educated and supported,
RN case Manager - Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 6, 2017
They encourage free thinking. Employees are valued. Open door communication with management. Support and teamwork environment. Advancement opportuny,
Pros
competitive salary; teamwork; employees valued
Cons
long work hours
Management is horrible!!!
Negotiator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 31, 2017
The only thing good about this company other than the pay & benefits is that MOST of the employees are kind, friendly and always willing to help. Supervisors are known to have favorites and unless your a favorite you won't go far or get promoted no matter how hard you work or how talented you are. If you speak out about supervisors doing wrong or what the company does wrong or even ILLEGAL then they find a way to get rid of you or make your life miserable so that you will quit. Don't waste your time with this company if your a honest & hard working person!
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management turns their head to everything wrong that goes on
It was just a job for me.
IS Testing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 22, 2017
I worked in a lot of different areas to learn as much as I could so I could advance. I got to a certain point that my work experience was not considered because I did not have a degree. I helped implement 2 claims systems while I was there because of my knowledge. I enjoyed training and working with employees. Most of the management was easy to work with. The part I liked the least was doing reviews on my employees because you had to put rate them from high to low. I had employees that I thought were equal in their performance.
Pros
Flexible work schedule and some work from home
Cons
Work experience was not considered for advancement in my later years.
Productive family oriented workplace with great benefits.
Customer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXDecember 30, 2016
Blue Cross Blue Shield is a close-nit group of employees whom welcome you and treat you like family. A typical day at work would consist of answering customer inquiries and benefit questions, as well as scheduling doctor appointments. I learned a lot regarding the healthcare industry and how healthcare benefits work. The Management staff were very professional, yet personable. They did a wonderful job overseeing the call center and maintaining a comfortable work place. My co- workers were my family, we took individual calls, but worked together as a team to give the best customer experience. The hardest part of the job were diffusing escalations, but became easier overtime with the guidance of management. The most enjoyable part of the job were the calls that I was able to go above and beyond, and complete the customer inquiry with no effort on their part. By helping others when they needed it most, made the job feel that much more rewarding.
Good in earliy years of job.
Nurse case manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 5, 2016
This was a newly created job for a product line called Primary Plus Care which back in the day BCBS had a contract with the state of NE to implement and case manage the states Medicaid population.
It was challenging at first trying to get the different segments of the program started and assigned to each case manager.

As the enrollment grew each of our jobs intertwined with each case manager as well as our own division of customer service.

I enjoyed the early years very much..
Pros
Great teamwork at the start of the program. Great salary . Decent retirement benifits
Cons
MICRO MANAGEMENT after 5 yrs made this job unbearable
Very nice place to work.
INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN, DEVELOPER/TECHNICAL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 31, 2017
BCBSLA has a very good upper management that keeps all employees up with what is happening in the healthcare industry. The culture is one where people join the workforce and stay until they retire 35 years later. The culture and management technique is handed down from generation to generation.

The workload is comfortable and the pay isn't the best, but far from the worst too! BCBSLA what ranked in Louisiana has one of the best places to work.
Pros
Bonus, Free employee insurance (not family), nice building and cafe'.
Cons
Cubicals everywhere!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield. Our community is ready to answer.

85%