Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,280 reviews matching the search
Decent place if you have no life
Corporate Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 25, 2016
Hard place to work with heavy workload, decent pay. It is a union workshop with a weak union and unfair union agreement.Great benefits is the only perk!
BCBS was a fun place to work...friendly staff.
Insurance Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 25, 2016
A typical day consisted of friendly smiles, great team work among my co-workers. The job was pretty easy. Supervisor was very laid back & flexible.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks
I can only speak for the customer service department for members.
Customer Service Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 24, 2016
This can be a very rewarding job if you enjoy helping people. You can also make a great paycheck. You will however, have to put up with a lot, I MEAN ALOT of bs. A lot of the ways that make sense to help people will be restricted. The most common sense answers, you cannot give. There are also certain things you have to give called transfer campaigns, if you do not transfer the people to these departments whether they want them or not, you are penalized because the big shots have sold this feature to the companies they insure and could ultimately cost you your job. The quality department that is responsible for reviewing your work, does not even know what is correct anymore due to the constant changes in the company. Like any company some of the supervisors are great and some not so much. The computer systems that have been implemented to make it a better place are terrible. This year started paid time off was reduced but you can buy a week if you would like, what a deal!!! You can only still use the time when they allow it. You will get to take calls from not only BCBSIL, but Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Montana. Some times you will be given access to the information you need and other times not so much, it is really a great feeling to need to know something as simple as a dental carriers phone number yet have no idea where it is due to this. Good luck if you go this route. It can be rewarding just like any other job has good and bad, more stress than what I believe it is worth though.
Pros
helping people comprehend things when they really need it most. paycheck
Educational and fun workplace
HR Strategies & Practices (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCAugust 24, 2016
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC has wonderful career opportunities. I feel like in the years that I worked there I was continuously learning new things. To list a few, I learned and advanced in professionalism, team work, problem solving, time management and organization. The people there were always friendly and worked as a team. I enjoyed this company very much. Left due to transferring to a different state.
Productive and fun
Senior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 24, 2016
I switched from Family option to Self plus one and the cost is 12 dollars less a month! Unbelievable! And they advertise this as something new! I have been paying 460dollars plus my company matches the same amount - so almost 1000 dollars for no 12 years! Premiums too high plus deductible. Cannot wait to change the provider in the open season.

Honolulu, HI57 Year Old FemaleCustomer for 5+ Years
Help others find the most helpful reviews
Great benefits
Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 23, 2016
great health and dental benefits, team oriented, encouraged and supported training workshops, opportunity for advancement was good
Ideal situation for long term employment
Adjustment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 23, 2016
Management was always knowlegable at every level. Training was constant and required for all employees. Benefits were excellent. Opportunity for advancement was always available. It was a pleasant experience for me in all facets.
Pros
security
Cons
sometimes excessive overtime
Not the same company that it used to be and impossible to get ahead.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI- Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 23, 2016
This used to be a wonderful place to work but has declined significantly in the past few years. benefits are not what they used to be and are no longer paid for by the company. It is impossible to get ahead and every department is being outsourced. Lack of available parking is also a major issue when you are also paying for your health benefits.
Pros
Benefits are decent
Cons
Lack of parking is a major issue
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 22, 2016
Begin the day with quick stand up meeting among team members and setting a goal for each day to make progress in projects. Everyday was a learning day for me. Everyday I got new idea to make our project better and more functional. At BCBS all co- workers were like family. we all enjoyed working with each other and shared out thoughts about projects to make better.
It is really hard for me think about hardest part of my job because when we needed someone was there to help us out to solve the problem. Our meeting were most enjoyable part of the job. Our team leader always made sure that his/her team members stay happy with each other without criticizing anyone. I really enjoyed working at BCBS, IL.
great job
LPN Health Navigator (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 19, 2016
My typical day involved outreach to members assisting with chronic conditions and offering education and support. Thru working at blue cross blue shield there new hire training was amazing and Motivational classes help is all aspects of life. The hardest part of the job was keeping people on the phone people do not like there insurance company calling them.
Pros
Amazing training and advancement
Cons
not enough work at home alot of meetings
Self-Motivated, self-taught, willing to learn, creative and resourceful problem solver, strong organizational skills
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 19, 2016
I build and maintain working relationships both internally and externally. I can and will take the lead on projects and actively participate on working teams.
Poor work life balance
Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Marshall, TXAugust 16, 2016
Great company to work for but advancement does not occur from lower level departments. The only perk was the benefits offered. Some policies and practices should be reviewed by the company
Benefits
Cons
Salary raise/bonus criterias
Great place to work with opportunites for growth and advancement.
TPA Edit/Repricing/Claims analyst (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 16, 2016
I have worked there for a total of almost ten years and loved it. Te last time I was there I had to make a decision to look for another job due to my children starting school and needed to be closer. At the time I had the opportunity to work from home a couple days a week which was great and ideal for me but at the time I did not have anyone to help with getting the kids on in office days from school so I had to make the decision to apply elsewhere. I am now looking to go back to Blue Cross or find other at home opportunities to balance work and family and be able to be there for my children. I enjoyed working with everyone I have encountered. My job was flexible and challenging. I learned a lot about claims processing and have more knowledge to know how to read my own claims and explanations. My manager was always there with open door policy and understood if we ran into difficult situations. I would highly recommend anyone to apply and work there.
Pros
cafeteria, fitness center, wellness
Too much management turnover
Trainer - Benefit (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 16, 2016
I had at least 15 managers in less then 15 years in the same department. Each time the new manager knew nothing about your job, but still tried to tell you how to do it.
People are very nice and helpful at BCBS
CUSTOMER ADVOCATE (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILAugust 16, 2016
I was only there a very short time but I did love the atmosphere and the coworkers. My supervisor was awesome he always was very understanding and helpful.
Pros
Can take hour lunches and even work from home
Cons
sometimes you can't help customers and it is upsetting
Fun place to work-People excellent felt like Family
National Accounts (NASCO) Cash Adjustor (CCA-III) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2016
Day at Blue Cross GA, I processed all CASH on the NASCO Processing System, adjusted claims worked in the Customer Service Department so I sometimes served as a fill in for the customer Service Benefits line(100 calls holding) Processed Accounts receivables. Collected on delinquent payments due to BlueCross Blue Shield due to overpayments.
Pros
Worked very independtly and loved the Job
Cons
No work life balance
Claims Processor I
Claims Processor I (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 15, 2016
Work on the document return team to ensure that all claims that are deleted are researched and are correctly deleted. Also send letters to the provider or beneficiary on what corrections is needed for processing. If not correction are needed the claim is sent back the associate that deleted for processing.
Pros
Flexibility of work hours
Cons
Working on production
n/a
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 14, 2016
I enjoy working for the company. My fellow peers are great to collaborate and communicate with. My manager is diligent at her job and loves to communicate with employees to look for opportunity for improvement.
BCBSM was a very nice company to work for very exciting environment.
Automated Insert Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 11, 2016
There was room for advancement, based on seniority not by your knowledge of the job or experience. worked as an automated insert operator for 8 years. an a mail clerk for 2 years, Blue Cross Blue Shield was a very nice company to work for.
Insurance Company
Medical Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 11, 2016
Good insurance company, where I assist veterans with the Veterans Choice Program by finding them providers that they could go to to get the medical attention they desire.