Blue Cross Blue Shield

Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Reviews

Found 3,514 reviews matching the search
WorkPlaces
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 18, 2017
My typical day at work was to be the team leader over numerous projects. I prioritize all my work by put the most to the lease important task first. I set my work up so I can meet my guidelines to ensure that all projects deadlines are met. I typical work more than one project and some time I have a very busy day where some days are not as busty. I am not micro-managed in my projects; I take steps to ensure I understand all my projects so I don't have to redo them. The hardest part of this job is testing all the changes within the system. I work well with all my co-workers. I enjoy learning new things within the company.
Pros
Working with new people on projects
Cons
Not enough time sometime to work on projects
Productive, Serious minded and hard workers.
New Business Coordinator/Quoted (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, IllinoisJanuary 4, 2017
A typical day at work includes using various software in order to accomplish my job. Normally I use about 5-6 different screens in order to perform. I solve problems, input data, quote rates for ongoing and perspective clients, renew existing customers when their policy's are ready to renew or make changes to their policy when needed.

I learned that when you work in a healthy environment it makes your day go by with ease and problem solving becomes less stress.

Management team at BCBS is very informative and the training is phenominal. No part of my job is hard. I most enjoy the day when I have someone say "Thank You".
Benefits
Cons
Job security is not promised
Claims Customer Service Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 2, 2017
A typical work day is 11am-8pm. I've learned how to read and adjudicate medical claims. The management is pretty good. They're always willing to help with any issues. My co-workers are awesome! The ones who've been there for a while are definitely a big help. Sometimes the hardest part of my job is trying to explain benefits to the beneficiaries. A lot of times they'll call to complain about things because they're unaware of their plan coverage.
Facilitator of call center training...
Contract Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILJanuary 4, 2017
The contract training position was for 8 weeks and was to encompass three states. Using 27 different software programs to do their job of servicing the clients of Blue Cross nationally.

They ended the program early, once they realized that unless they were to place the facilitator through "trainers training" before taking on a class of new associates - the results would be much better.

Again, the uncertainty of the Health care market nationally was and is uncertain.
Excellent Place to Work
Sr. Front End Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 9, 2017
By far the best job I've had in my career. The company cares about its employees and goes above and beyond to create a positive work environment. Lots of room for advancement and growth within the company. Bi-weekly happy hours, weekly company lunches provided, flex hours available, work from home available, and super casual atmosphere.
Pros
great comp plan, flexibility, company sponsored lunches and happy hours
Cons
work from home is limited
Average place to work
Consumer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 2, 2017
There are better companies to work for.
A majority of the employees think it is the best place to work so the atmosphere is mostly positive.
The benefits are below average for an insurance company as they are the same benefits you can get at any large company.
Upper management communicates well and is proficient at running the company, low level management (i.e. department supervisor), in my experience, lacks sufficient skills to manage anyone.
Company overall is cold and uncaring.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Company is cold and uncaring
Educational and highly influential opportunity
Intern Community Relations (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 15, 2017
BCBS was a decision I could not be more proud of. During my time as an employee, I was given the opportunity to attend local community events which were mainly targeted to the less fortunate, I was given the opportunity to enhance my portfolio by taking photographs of events and by designing our social media posts, and I was also fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to study under our Public Relations Specialist.
Disappointed
Costumer service rep (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 27, 2016
I was going through a very rough time in my life with my mother and helping her with my siblings my supuvjor was aware of it and I was coming in late a few times a week because I had to bring my siblings to school I'm talking 3 minutes late and she terminated me at the end of my training 2 months of learning for nothing ! It was horrible they are very poor at really getting to know there workers and understanding that we are all just people it's all about doucments in there eyes well I don't have any documents to provide you when it's my life
Pros
Cons
Everything !
Very progressive and productive place to be employed.
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJanuary 18, 2017
My time with Blue Cross Blue Shield was very valuable in developing my interpersonal skills, typing skills, and customer service approach. The assistance provided when help was needed was very effective in aiding employees to properly assist health care providers with their patient needs.
Pros
The pay was great, The benefits provided were great, The environment created by management was very personal and warming
Cons
No cons at all
Skills
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 14, 2016
I typically start my day checking my calendar, emails and how I want to start. I have been in management and I had an open door policy so my employees know I am always available to listen. My customer service skills includes a medical collections agency where I was the supervisor and had to handle the irate patients to listen to them, help them with their issue, and empathetic to their medical issues. I had to handle patients when working as a Director of the business office with their accounts, how they were treated, and explain to them costs of a procedure. My co-workers would say I am a team player and I listen to their complaints or if they are just venting. My most enjoyable part of any of my jobs is when I am able to help someone.
I was a Casemanager looking at rehab cases and really loved it
Insurance Case Manager -Rehabilitation Team (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working there. I left to be closer to home. I would return to work there. The only thought that I had was that decisions were made based on criteria and one did not see the actual patient. The coworkers were nice and the supervisors supportive
Pros
It was a nice environment
Cons
The case load was large and sometimes stressful to review all before the end of the day.
Excellent for Veterans and older more experienced Insurance Professionals
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCDecember 5, 2016
Difficult to be heard, recognized, and awarded (as compared to the tech industry which honors youth) unless in the Corporation with several facilities throughout the Carolinas alone (a state with only 5 million people); but an excellent experience for a professional who wants accountability, transparency, and awe at how insurance sales, finance, accounting, actuarial sciences work.
Pros
5am to 4pm hours possible. Weekends Open unless in Sales
Cons
Extremely Political
Good in earliy years of job.
Nurse case manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 5, 2016
This was a newly created job for a product line called Primary Plus Care which back in the day BCBS had a contract with the state of NE to implement and case manage the states Medicaid population.
It was challenging at first trying to get the different segments of the program started and assigned to each case manager.

As the enrollment grew each of our jobs intertwined with each case manager as well as our own division of customer service.

I enjoyed the early years very much..
Pros
Great teamwork at the start of the program. Great salary . Decent retirement benifits
Cons
MICRO MANAGEMENT after 5 yrs made this job unbearable
Excellent team-based management.
Life and Health Insurance Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasNovember 30, 2016
BlueCross BlueShield is a very successful team based company that strives to give each of its employees the goals and steps for success through its training programs, testing, and on the job training. The salary was both fair and commensurate with production and experience with opportunities for promotion and overtime.
Pros
Opportunity for overtime.
Cons
Some lapses in compensation based on commission.
Great pay and that's it
Strategist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 23, 2016
I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

The pay here is great. However, most of the time you'll have to go through a contract house which is very annoying.

Management is awful. They are awful at planning. I had one project change directions 4 times in 4 months. We were able to get 0 things done because of management's lack of planning and focus. They also fire people by not inviting them to certain meetings.

If you want to work on the real-world "Office Space" then work here.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Awful management, Little-to-no time off
Day to day working with members
Sr. Member Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILDecember 17, 2016
I really liked the way we use to care and assist our members. Everything now seem to be more about numbers, not the care that we use to have as a company. I have to aunts that retired and still love the company, it has truly changed through the years. Production is good in some things but when it comes to helping our members production should not be the most important.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Micro Manage
BlueCross Blueshield of Tennessee maintains a professional, ethical work environment.
Social Worker Advocate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 18, 2016
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee provides workers all necessary space and equipment to perform their jobs. Management is readily available to workers. Co-workers behave in a professional, supportive way toward one another.
Pros
On-site services such as exercise equipment, large well-equipped break room, annual biometric screen on-site, telecommuting option available for some positions
Cons
No real cons experienced
Wonderful Place To Work
Small Group Member Level Processor (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CANovember 16, 2016
I loved working here. My supervisor's were amazing and the staff in my department were very helpful. Management consistently cross-trained us so we were able to stay flexible with job positions. I was there for only only 2 months and was able to meet the CEO and VP of the company and was constantly praised by my supervisors for the work I was doing for the company. Work was steady every day but nothing over-bearing
Pros
Steady work b/c of medical insurance open enrollment, Supervisors cross-trained, Cafeteria on-site
Cons
Permanent positions take time to attain, Lay-offs when work is slow
Excellent Company, Great Training
Clerk D (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 25, 2016
Continual data entry and review of documents and coding. I was impressed with the amount of care the company took in keeping their customers satisfied, management was very supportive to team, co-workers were also supportive, the most difficult time was new enrollment season, I enjoyed the co-workers the most.
Pros
Could come in earlier and leave earlier
Cons
I was a temp and usually had to stay when they needed me to.
Critical Thinking Skills
Membership Professional (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 7, 2016
I have been a contractor working for Blue Cross Blue Shield for over a year. The work load is very challenging but I love it because it allows me to use critical thinking skills to the max. While dealing with insurance, there are constant changes so I have to be attentive to all policies and procedures. Overall, this is a great job but I wish there was availability for contractors to grow with the company.
Pros
Informative emails regarding the company and new policies
Cons
Lack of communication and proper instructions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield. Our community is ready to answer.