Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,231 reviews matching the search
CareFirst has room for improvement
Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2016
Overall CareFirst is truly a great company, it just depends on which department you work in. The benefits and additional perks to employees is superb by many business standards.

What I found most challenging is leadership and professional growth opportunities. A testament to this company's treatment of its employees is the number of CareFirst associates who have been with the company 10, 20, 30 + years. While this is awesome, the downside is it leaves little room for advancement. Newer talented staff are forced to leave CareFirst to explore professional growth opportunities, which is why the need for re-organization of leadership and business practices is necessary to maintain a younger more innovative employee.

I do believe the CEO rules with an iron-fist and NO ONE ever rocks the boat, even when it's obvious that the boat needs to be rocked. PCMH is not the answer to healthcare but NO ONE has the nerve to say it.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of corporate and professional growth
do not work here if you have young children
customer/provider service (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 12, 2016
not the ideal work place in if you have small children.you get written up for eveytime you leave early or do not come in.this is why the turn over rate is so high.you get a QA score 3x's a month a one on one with your supervisor once a month to see where your stats are and if you met quality for the month to be eligible for bonuses for the quarter which is nearly impossible your compared against the whole call center even if your a new employee.your QA score has to be above 90 to pass.no raises unless again your quality is good.the only good thing about this place was the benefit.but even that is gone since it was bought out by Dell.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance, management has too high of expectations.
Great company/position to learn to gain valuable knowledge about the health insurance industry
Customer Service Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 3, 2016
Being a customer service advocate allows you to gain valuable knowledge about not just one but several policies. This position allows one to gain experience with premiums, coverage and benefits, and health claims. This is a great role to become well-rounded in a variety of aspects related to BCBS. I have seen several advocates become full-time employees based on their performance and skill set. I have also witnessed multiple co-workers advance from this position to other roles within the company simply because the role as an advocate equipped them with such knowledge and skills that they were able to apply in other departments.
Difficult to move upward
Provider Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 16, 2016
The culture has changed a great deal since I joined the company 3 years ago. Where previously what I was excited about was the ability to spend time in a position, master it, and then start progressing to my next career goal, I am now seeing that upward movement has been difficult. The only way to advance would be to do a lateral move to another department and then try to advance within that other department, or to leave the company all together.
Pros
Flexibile work options (WFH), on-campus facilities
Cons
Declining benefits package, difficult to advance, no recognition for internal talent
Bcbsga
Customer Care Representative I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 18, 2016
Management can ask a lot from you, but give only so much back.

Opportunities for growth is available for those who position themselves correctly. Initiative is important.

One has to be willing to serve above and beyond. It is all about the member, keep them happy.

As expected, the benefits are very good The most challenging part is keeping customers calm, when their claim did not process as they would prefer. It is at those times when tact and empathy are critical.
Pros
Performance Based Anxiety. I have seen people go to the hospital, due to excessive stress.
Cons
Pressure
If you know the right people, you'll go far
Provider Advisor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 16, 2016
Initially the job was pretty cut and dry, and for the most part enjoyable. However at a moment's notice, I was required to do the job of 3 people with no training and no pay raise. When I inquired about the increase in duties, I was told that everyone had to double up on work, which I later found to be not true. Also, each time I applied for promotions, I was denied. I was denied for jobs I was well qualified for, but the jobs always went to "friends" of managers of those positions.
Pros
Free medical insurance
Cons
Advancement not easily obtained
Great for employees, lousy for contractors
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 20, 2016
In my particular department, management was great and the team was very supportive. I would have stayed there a long time if I had been an employee. As a contractor, I always felt less than the regular employees: no entry card, ID, health insurance (go figure), vacation time, or sick time. The contracting agency was not forthcoming about the lack of benefits.
Pros
home-work balance, telecommuting, great team.
Cons
No vacation, no sick time, no health insurance, job instability, no opportunity for growth
Unfair - Unprofessional
Enrollment and Billing specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 2, 2016
Supervisors and Managers do not listen to what others have to say, supervisor very messy and unprofessional. "Clicks" on the job will lie on you and report you to human resources. Human resources do not care what you have to say, i witness bulling going on within my department and nothing was ever done. I stop participating in pot lucks and the supervisor told me that i am not being a team player. I felt as if its not work related i shouldn't have to participate. One of the messy click members put in her two weeks notice and applied in another department and blue cross hired her back. Director really don't know her job. The supervisor keep up mess among the employees and will throw you under the bus. Work load is over whelming. Supervisor always late, never on time for work. Staying to myself not talking to no one the supervisor said that was a problem. I only talked when a questions was work related.
Pros
Great benefits for the employee
Cons
Unfair, unprofessional, and not a great company to work for.
Great pay& benefits, but some double standards apply
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 6, 2016
Management is usually never to be found, most times you will not get the real answers & things always were dragged out even though it is a production based environment. In the end, the moral is pretty poor when in the beginning they said they cared about you an your family but after a while you end up just seeing how they just kept changing things constantly and expected you to keep up with your numbers with little to no training. I learned so much in my time there which is forever valuable, but due to all the healthcare changes this market I fear will continue to struggle in terms of keeping employees up to date and happy along with balancing treating their employees right. It can be for some people just not for everyone. Better management I think will help in my opinion. The work is very interesting if you like to learn new stuff, I just wish they would give people a little more slack when expected to shift back and fort between projects and not take it out on your raises and reviews.
Pros
bonuses, flex hours
Cons
mandatory OT, limited time off around holidays
Great place
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2016
From the moment I walked in the door, everyone was so nice and helpful. People usually retorr from this company, they dont leave. Management in government programs is great, the field is expanding and booming. There is so much room for upward mobility, people stay in positions for 6 months and get promoted. Excellent benefits and a great downtown work environment.
Pros
Good benefits, great work atmosphere
Cons
Downtown parking or take the L. You have to pay 134 a month for parking.
loved talking with the members and my coworkers
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 3, 2016
Come into work, sign into all my programs for the day, check on open cases to see what else needs to be done, take calls and handle the members issues, submit claims, have claims reprocessed, reviewed and analyzed, go over member benefits in detail, send letters to members if requested or needed, take with third parties to resolve the members issues.
Pros
great cooks in the cafateria, love my coworkers
Cons
company downsized
Pleasantly surprised
Level III Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 10, 2016
We were under a government contract division to administrate health benefits, so success had a set ceiling. There was nothing really to shoot for but to honor and maintain our current contracts, but other than being under that ceiling, we still found ways to compete with each other. They invest in their employees more than one would expected from a contract company, almost to the level of a large, private enterprise company.
Pros
Powerful, well thought-out computer programs.
Cons
under the glass ceiling of government contract, company ambitions seemed manufactured.
Fast Paced
Field Group Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 16, 2016
I would produce rate quotes for different sized companies. These quotes would sometimes be for new groups or companies, and sometimes with would be existing groups or companies that were renewing their benefits.

In this position I learned about marketing and customer service as I would get many phone calls from members of these groups that would ask me questions about their benefits.
Pros
Customer Service and speaking to members
Cons
Angry members that were not happy about their increased rates
Ok place, not enough pay for the work
Adjustments Processor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 8, 2016
The place is ok, you work much harder but you get paid the salary of a fast food place. They don't promote within the company. But its a decent place overall. It's not horrible. But I wouldn't make it my career choice. It's just a job until you find something that can actually pay your bills.
Pros
friendly, gym, healthy options, can work from home in certain areas
Cons
pay, can be stressful in certain departments
Membership Enrollment/AR Reconciliation/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 18, 2016
This company has very good qualities. They believe in giving good service to both their customers and employees.
Management believed in promoting from within and did so on a person's skills and professionalism.

I worked in Several different departments when employed by this company and can say that my co-workers were great to be around on a daily basis..
Pros
great benefits-free parking
Cons
Great company to work for
Customer Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Midland, GAFebruary 24, 2016
Good company to work for. The work loads can be extremely varying in customer service and go from mind numbingly boring to extreme amounts of work in the blink of an eye depending on what the issue is. Very high turnover but if you can hang it is not that bad. I would recommend the job to anyone outgoing but it will wear you down after a while.
Pros
Good benefits, decent pay, friendly environment
Cons
Sometimes not enough help for certain situations. Short breaks.
Depends on department
customer service call center (Former Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 10, 2015
This company, like most companies tend to have the wrong individuals in management positions. It's about who you know. You are told, that if you want to succeed you must network within the company, otherwise you will find yourself in a dead in job. Management is so busy trying to make sure know one takes their position. You are not given the proper development to really succeed in your job. Management is sneaky, two faced and unprofessional. Job descriptions are overly described. The company offer good benefits and good yearly incentives. Management sucks.
Pros
benefits, bonus
Cons
management will hire a friend before hiring internally
productive working environment with great people
claims examiner (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 11, 2016
great working environment with great people, if you can handle sitting in a chair for long periods of time. benefits and compensations are great reasons to work here. can be stressful but company does what they can show appreciation for their employees and the work they do
Pros
benefits, good working environment, compensations
Cons
sitting in a chair for long periods of time, can be stressful
A great job for those who don't like money and being treated poorly
claims advocate (Former Employee) –  Surfside Beach, SCDecember 15, 2015
I've been with this company for 3 years. I was trained in one department where I worked very well and made lots of friends. The work was stressful but with the help of my awesome manager and co-workers we were able to become one of the most productive departments. We worked so well that most of us were allowed to work from home. Then later in the year we were told via an email that our positions were being moved to another office and we would be answering phones for a new healthcare contract. We only received 3 days of training and did not get a raise. Our job changed from answer correspondence to giving bad news to wounded veterans about their health coverage.

This company cares only about making money and does not care about its employees let alone the veterans who call in. Take this job if you need to pay bills. But as soon as something better comes along leave and don't look back.
Pros
Weekends off and a free turkey
Cons
low wages, no room for advancement, they don't care about veterans
Micromanaged!
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAMarch 21, 2016
All that matters is quantity NOT quality. Doesn't matter if you really know what you're doing as long as it's done quickly. It can be done wrong by different reps many times. But as long as you meet the quota you're good. If the customers only knew.
Benefits
Cons
Management only cares about production.