Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Reviews

Found 3,965 reviews matching the search
High volume, stressful workplace
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2017
High volume, stressful workplace. Management may be located off site. Benefit package is typical of most large organizations. Typical office environment.
Extremely competitive and biased company
Tennessee/Pre-Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 18, 2017
While they claim to promote diversity, BCBS of TN is almost too open with policies. The dept managers are like overlords, constantly whipping their peasants into shape, and upper management lives in a tower, over looking their handy work while counting their gold coins. Once you land in a department, it's nearly impossible to advance or move to another area unless you know someone, and even then, the chances are slim. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. A work/life balance is nonexistent, and sadly, the cost of insurance, even for employees, is outrageous.
Pros
Onsite fitness center
Cons
Everything else.
Great Company
Sr. Technical Solutions Architect (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 18, 2017
Great people. The company is in dire straits due to the ACA. All insurance companies have pulled out except BCBSNC. The pressure is immense. Work / Life balance is difficult at best.
Great Place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 18, 2017
Blue Cross Blue Shield is a professional environment where everyone works together to make sure business runs smoothly. There are great perks and it has a good work/life balance. This place respected my time and effort, unfortunately certain business decisions make it so that they will go through waves of hiring and layoffs. I survived multiple waves of layoffs, but seniority and proficiency at the job are usually both needed and hard work may not always mean a permanent position. I would strongly recommend employment to those looking for temporary work, or to those who have special skills that can set them apart from the tough competition (bilingual, medical coding ect.).
Pros
Perks, balance, friendly environment.
Cons
Incredibly competitive, and little job stability.
leadership and culture has changed
Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 18, 2017
tough business leadership has changed and not bh friendly anymore. I would not recommend anymore as it is now cutthroat there unfortunately. It used to be a good co.
It's a productive and modern work place
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2017
It has good management which thrives to provide developers the most practical and the elite work culture. It has culture of implementing the most advanced technologies in the market enhancing the individual growth.
Great company to work for
PDM Specialist (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 17, 2017
I enjoyed working for Blue Cross and Blue Shield. The company cares about the employees. When I first come in my work is in a cue. I read my emails and proceed to work each account. I learned how to be productive at Blue Cross. The workplace culture was good and fair. The hardest part of the job was trying to do several jobs at the same time and we were short of help. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients.
Pros
Great lunches
Cons
Great supervisors
Great Place to Work with many amenities.
Information Systems/Business Intelligence Intern (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 17, 2017
I am only an Inter, but this place is great! Schedules are flexible with the option to work from home. Also the culture here is fabulous. There is a huge gym which offers instructor lead classes and financial incentives are given to those who take advantage of them!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
a lot of red tape just to do a little work.
There is nothing that I can say about Blue Cross Blue Shield that is not nice. They are the best company that I have ever worked for.
RN. Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMay 17, 2017
The days are pleasant due to such nice coworkers. Training is through especially after you get into the field. The managers are knowledgeable and helpful. Everyone is just so very nice. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co workers and the hardest part of the job was having to say goodby when the job ended.
Very stressful environment with NO job security
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 16, 2017
If at all possible, I would encourage individuals to take a position here ONLY if they are desperate. Even if you accept a position, plan to seek other employment immediately!! This company is unstable and has proven that they do not care about their employees. They feed you lies from day 1 about growth and development when the goal is to replace, replace, replace! This is done to avoid paying hard working employees what they deserve for fixing their MESS on a daily basis.
Pros
Benefits, Decent salary
Cons
Work/life balance, Job security, Stress level
Great Company, Bad Experience with Management
Provider Interplan Operations Correspondent (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 16, 2017
I loved working for this company, however changes with my direct supervisor caused me to seek other employment. Outside of that one person, my experience was very good.
very productive
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 16, 2017
I had a great experience at BCBS. I learned how to process and price VA claims. The training you receive is structured and understanding. My typing skiills became very excellent from having to do data entry. I would recommend this job to my fellow friends.
Pros
Educated well in job training
Cons
temporary position
was also a fun place to work but the management was not good
Processor 2 (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 16, 2017
a good place to work if your in the right department great benefits and profit sharing but some of the management is not knowledgeable and are don't care about there employees.
a job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCMay 16, 2017
A very stressful place to work. some of the managers take their position to the limit and make your day working here a mess. the most enjoyable thing about the job is helping the veterans
Competitive, Productive, Growing
Agent Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 15, 2017
Managed projects, schedule adherences, answered calls and for agents and customers. Provided accurate information at all times. Management is always willing to help people grow.
What work is like for me
Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 15, 2017
I get on the computer everyday, educate the members regarding their disease and conditions, pre- op and post- op, Facilitate home health services, and community resources. Then I help the members with consults and referrals. If they would like they can talk to a behavior health nurse, exercise physiologist and dietitian. If there are any complex cases we have to bring it to the medical director.
I learn how to educate members and patients about how to solve their problems. I also Help my co-workers increase their knowledge. I learned to work together with other people to help the company progress further. I have learned to be patient with others.
Everybody helps each other and works together. We can tolerate each other and fix things ourselves. If not we ask our managers for advice and we end up working things out.
the hardest part of my job is the work load is a bit much, but I do manage to get through it and over achieve their standards.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I educate the members, they turn their life around and have healthier life choices.
Pros
Satisfaction on helping others.
Cons
Not enough hours in a day.
Productive work place
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Camden, SCMay 15, 2017
Every job has it's good and bad days.
While there I learn more Codes.
Management overall was good.
There was no hard days working there.
Being around positive vibes was the most enjoyable part of myjob.
Positve atmosphere and good people
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 15, 2017
The organization has a very positive, employee friendly atmosphere and does value work life balance. Facilities are clean, safe and provide fitness center, café and non-traditional areas to work or consult.

However, there has been a change over the past 3 years in the quality of leadership. There has been a push toward hiring managers and leaders with very little practical, hands on leadership experience to bringing on those with MBA's and very little to no leadership experience. The result is a poorly lead workforce that is not as engaged and effective as before.

This is a good company with a good product and a good atmosphere but the lack of experienced leadership at all levels is going to degrade the level of excellence previously experienced there.
Pros
Onsite cafe, fitness center, covered parking
Cons
Lack of experienced leadership
Great benefits and good company
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 15, 2017
This company offers great benefits and competitive compensation. They have a lot of incentives for their employees. They have extras that are very entising, including an onsite workout facility.
Pros
Onsite workout facility and cafeteria
Senior Supplements (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2017
I enjoyed every minute working for my dream job at BCBS of AZ. My days went fast and I was always grateful to work there. If I could I would still be working for them.
Pros
Fellow employees, benefits packages, human resources
Cons
The chairs and office set up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield. Our community is ready to answer.