Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,280 reviews matching the search
Horrible Environment
customer service (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCJanuary 25, 2016
Horrible leadership from the bottom up. There's no desire to be in the 21st century. Believing that they are the top health care provider in NC with no worries- simply ridiculous, while other companies are moving on in. From low level management to VPs, this entire company needs a complete revamp. There's no accountability, people come and go as they please. Very unprofessional, toxic environment. Workers come in as if they just left a nightclub. On top of that, manager's sleeping with staff, along with bullying workers. Managers who've been in trouble dozens of times and still allowed to be in leadership. Shame for the ignorance of those higher ups.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 22, 2016
Begin the day with quick stand up meeting among team members and setting a goal for each day to make progress in projects. Everyday was a learning day for me. Everyday I got new idea to make our project better and more functional. At BCBS all co- workers were like family. we all enjoyed working with each other and shared out thoughts about projects to make better.
It is really hard for me think about hardest part of my job because when we needed someone was there to help us out to solve the problem. Our meeting were most enjoyable part of the job. Our team leader always made sure that his/her team members stay happy with each other without criticizing anyone. I really enjoyed working at BCBS, IL.
Good workng environment
Case Registrar (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 1, 2016
Liked the training and working culture. People are nice. Provided me a solid foundation. Won't forget the invaluable experience.
Pros
salary.
Claims Examiner, BCBS Abilene TX Office
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 3, 2016
Pro: Amazing 401K benefit, flexible hours so I do not need to use PTO for appointment or miss any of the kids event at school, paid holidays, overtime, and fair PTO accrual. The company provided raises, and performance bonuses. I was lucky to have amazing supervisors who does not micromanaged, and gave me room to managed my daily tasks and assignments. The unit gave a lot of feedback on performance and support.

Con: Training is limited for other tasks such as Medicad, Dental. Limited overtime. Pay.

This place is based on individual effort and teamwork, if a person slack off, everyone has to suffered for it (bonus, flexing out on Friday). I enjoyed this job and the challenges it has to offer.
productive working environment with great people
claims examiner (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 11, 2016
great working environment with great people, if you can handle sitting in a chair for long periods of time. benefits and compensations are great reasons to work here. can be stressful but company does what they can show appreciation for their employees and the work they do
Pros
benefits, good working environment, compensations
Cons
sitting in a chair for long periods of time, can be stressful
Good Company Benefits/Management NOT Desirable
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 16, 2016
High Call and Fax Volume. Management lacks experience in knowing how to staff department appropriately. Manager can be curt and abrasive when dealing with others which accounts for low morale within the department. There is a lack of trust in the department. Management does not lead by example and often fails to exhibit the core competencies the company stands for. I often over hear other employees complaining about the management team. The hardest part of job is not having good management within the department Others feel If they speak out they will be retaliated against. The most enjoyable part of job is working with supportive coworkers.
Pros
Good Company Benefits
Great job, great benefits
Web Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 2, 2016
A company that large has multiple different work environments depending on the department you work in, so catogorizing them is difficult to do. Overall the work was challenging and fun, and the folks I worked with became good friends of mine. Healthcare Reform "upgraded" the company, bringing in new tech needed for the exchanges like Service Oriented Architecture. A typical day involved a full day in office on development tasks, with frequent time after hours from home supporting overseas work and batch processes. The hardest part of the job is the time involved. The most enjoyable part of the job is your co-workers, but again, that's the group I was with, the IT department is international in scope.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits, Great People
Cons
long, long hours.
Excellent Company to work for
Sales Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 27, 2016
This company gave me a start into a new career that allowed me to advanced to a Finance team. Which lead me to obtaining more on the job training and advancement in salary and experience,
Great benefits and pay!
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 31, 2015
Company truly is a great company! The CEO is very friendly and willing to help any way he can. Advancement is hard! Management in certain department is awful!
Pros
Benefits, pay, work atmosphere, co workers very friendly and willing to help
Cons
Management, opportunity for advancement
Business Driven but Fun Work Environment
Agent Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 10, 2016
A typical day at work was taking calls from 8am until 5pm from Health Insurance Agents asking questions about their potential clients health information. I utilized several different internal systems in order to get the correct information to the Health Insurance Agent. My co-workers were very friendly and we all collaborated well together to keep all call volumes down. The hardest part of the job was speaking with Agents that were unreasonable, occasionally disrespectful, and nonnegotiable. Nevertheless it was a great job especially when the opportunity was given to speak with a familiar agent that made me laugh.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Contingencies
Treat temps like they are bothersome and very quick to remind you that you are a contractor.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 27, 2016
Training was supposed to be 8 weeks.It turned out to be 5 weeks classroom and 3 weeks on the phone.We were told we would learn more as we got on the floor.Calling the mentor line was stressful because there were very little people working on it and when you called your team lead for help after waiting for help on the mentor line,they didn't want to be bothered..Knowing that we were not trained to handle the mass load of situations that would come up,you would think the team leads would want to help especially when we were trying to help the customers.They gave also hated gating a call where a customer wanted to speak to a supervisor as if it is the agent who is at fault.Not very empathetic but always demanding that we on the phones are.
Pros
A job
Cons
Too much favoritism and it willing to help when lines are backed up.
Blue Cross Blue Shield, Flowood, MS
Sr. UI Developer (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSMay 23, 2016
Blue Cross Blue Shield, Inc. provides health insurance that offers a variety of insurance products for all segments of the population. BCBS is a primary care market leader with an innovative philosophy, unique physician culture and end-to-end customized technology. The Corporate enrolment service system is an internal tool developed mainly for the employees of BCBS. It mainly maintains data of the various corporations and the employee data that are enrolled through the corporation. The data is divided based on corporation group and division level. The system also includes the health information of various employees enrolled from various corporations. As a UI developer my role is to redesign a website, interactive plugins and widgets for UI.
Blue Cross Blue Shield is a very productived company
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 27, 2016
I met very interesting people working for Blue Cross Blue Shield. The management and staff were a blast to work with. Day to day functions were very palatable for anyone to partake of. Everything was pretty much on autopilot once I learned my duties. I loved the fact that I was not micromanaged and the my supervisors trusted me to exceed what was expected of me. There wasn't really anything that was hard about the job. The only challenge that I can remember was just washing a large amount of dishes when we had special events. Other that that, I truly enjoyed the time I spent working at Blue Cross Blue Shield.
The most fun part of my job was investigating claims
Investigator Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 19, 2016
While working with Blue Cross Blue Shield, I have gained a lot of knowledge in clerical duties. I have become a team player, also there is a lot of times I was responsible for pre production reports. There is a variety of jobs to be completed in one day, and dead lines to met. Everyone in my department had to investigate every claim to make sure the claim did not have any mistakes. if a mistake was found on the claim, we had to fill out a info, and send back to provider. We also dealt with Certified mail, making sure we had enough claims were set aside for in house keyers, and making sure all claims were imaged and ready to keyed. The most enjoyable part of the job was variety. I love working with people, but I also like working by myself, in the quiet, we had times set aside for both.
Intake Specialist - Horrible Management
Intake Speciaalist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 23, 2016
People are treated with little to no respect. People are treated like a number rather than a person. I would not recommend this place to work to anyone. Knee jerk reaction management. Move on quickly from this job if you are hired. All management needs some sensitivity training. Co-workers are great to work with. Being able to help others is the best part of the job unfortunately the management there does not appreciate it.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Poor Management
Great company to work for
Customer Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Midland, GAFebruary 24, 2016
Good company to work for. The work loads can be extremely varying in customer service and go from mind numbingly boring to extreme amounts of work in the blink of an eye depending on what the issue is. Very high turnover but if you can hang it is not that bad. I would recommend the job to anyone outgoing but it will wear you down after a while.
Pros
Good benefits, decent pay, friendly environment
Cons
Sometimes not enough help for certain situations. Short breaks.
Blue Cross Blue Shield is being tested by Obamacare
Statistical Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 18, 2015
Currently in a period of change brought on by ACA. Many of the staff are facing layoffs and replacement by outsourcing.
Updates to both hardware and software is required in order for the company to be competitive.
Culturally as a mutual company it has been slow to respond to market changes. Decisions are made by committee often with underskilled individuals in management positions.
Pros
Reasonable hours
Cons
Lack of training. The employee must seek out training on their own time.
Name exceeds culture
Sr. Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2016
BCBS of IL management is something to be weary about before joining the company. It seems that most of their mangers do not have the experience needed to really be effective in the role. They hire from within, which could be a good thing, but in many cases they hired based on relationships, instead of best fit for the role. This causes poor leadership and support for employees wanting to gain knowledge in their fields in order to advance. It seems you don't have to know much; You just have to know someone to get a leadership role. If your'e looking to advance and make a difference in healthcare, BCBS may not be the right choice.
Great Company with excellant benefits
Consumer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 21, 2016
Blue Cross Blue Shield is an excellent place to work. They offer stellar benefits, including paid time off, paid holidays and bonuses.

The hardest part about my job is sitting in one place all day but this is because I am use to a different type of work environment where I had the freedom to move around all day.

The most enjoyable thing about my job is being able to help our members resolve their issues.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and Compensation
Cons
No set schedule in my department, No freedom to get up and move around in my department, You must sit at your desk 8 hours a day and can only get up on breaks.
Don't work in the Credentialing Department
Credentialing (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 24, 2016
This is the type of job that looks great on paper, great benefits and a nice building, etc...but don't fall for it. The management and the type of people they keep on staff are terrible. No one cares about you as a human, you're solely just a body to fill a seat. The only motivational method is "do it or you'll get fired" and they like to have random meetings every month or so to remind you how replaceable you are. Heaven forbid you make a mistake, or you will pay. Over the course of three years I personally went through 5 managers, two of whom walked out one day and never came back. It's just bad.
Pros
Nice facility, good medical insurance
Cons
Terrible work environment, terrible management