Blue Cross Blue Shield
1,488 reviews

Blue Cross Blue Shield United States Employee Reviews

Claims Processor (Former Employee), Surfside Beach, SCFebruary 18, 2015
I enjoyed the benefits that were offered. I also enjoyed having flex time, which greatly helped me with being a mom to small children.
This was temp job.
Credentials Assistant (Former Employee), Newark, NJFebruary 18, 2015
Although this was a temp job I really enjoyed working at BCBS. The staff was very knowledgeable and I learned a lot in the short amount of time that I was there.
very much a LEARNING experience
customer service (Former Employee), AtlantaFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: fun
Cons: needed more hours
I loved this job....I was one of the last to come, so I was one of the first to go...I did love this career job.I found this job to fun and it taught me lots about empathy and sympathy with the elder.
The position was assisting an important project, to streamline the processing of insurance claims using a National Provider Identification process.
Provider Enrollment NPI Analyst (Former Employee), Hingham, MAFebruary 17, 2015
Blue Cross Blue Shield is an enormous company with many different types of insurance plans and participants and providers. This project enabled the company to streamline the processing of claims with a much lower error rate
Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies offer a variety of insurance products
Senior SQL Server DBA (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2015
 Installed SQL server 2008, 2005 and SQL Server 2000 and applied service pack.
 Installed HP OVPI on different servers.
 Extensive experienced with HP OVPI (Open View Performance Insight) in an HP OVPA environment
Very Good Working Environment
Customer Service (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 16, 2015
Great working environment with positive people and low stress situations. Very routine job, nothing that will leave you exhausted. Great learning experience.
Excellent Security
Analyst (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 15, 2015
I worked here for 21 years, and I was practically raised with this company. I loved my co-workers and the chance for advancement. The pay here was exceptional. The benefits were also great.
Fun place to work
Box Truck Driver (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: good benfits
Cons: layoffs
This was a great place to work, I love the people and benefits, I was not micro manage and had a lot of responsibility on a daily bases. I had to make timely deliveries to different dept. through the company.
Internship
Reimbursement Analyst Intern (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 12, 2015
Lots of hands on experience in all facets of Microsoft office and data mining. There is lots of autonomy and room for growth at BCBSLA
A company that cares about their employees
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits
I started at the company many years ago, and I was afforded opportunities to advance several times. While my management team changed throughout the years and was not always perfect, overall it was a very good experience for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing information with co-workers through training or just answering questions when needed. I enjoyed working in a team setting and I learned how to positively interact with different personalities.
I loved my time spent with BCBSNC!
Liaison between members and providers (Former Employee), Durham NCFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: i got to work with an amazing group and then went to work from home.
Cons: sometimes training was done long before we actually needed it
I worked in the inbound call center, primarily with State employees and their retirees. Every call was different, and it was great to be able to teach them about their benefits, how to save money by using a different place of service.

A typical day was answering incoming calls from members and providers giving them benefits and eligibility and checking on claims to see if they had been processed, denied, or needed additional information. I was the liason between the members and the providers.

The hardest part of the job was letting a member know that there was nothing else I could do to help them.
Good pay/benefits but tough
Texas, Federal Employee Program (Former Employee), Abilene, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits, lots of training
Cons: penalized for unplanned absences
Having to be yelled at by members, but also being able to explain to them and calm them down. Some can't be reasoned with. Good length of training, however not a lot of room to take time off. Management can be less than forgiving at times, however try to take care of their people.
Working for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Carolina was the job of a lifetime.
Business Testing Analyst II (Former Employee), Florence, SCFebruary 11, 2015
Working for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Carolina was the job of a lifetime with their incentive program to succeed and competitive salary but more than that, the management really knew their staff and even upper management was very in touch with their employees and on a daily basis would walk by and greet them and knew them by name which created for the most enjoyable atmosphere and desire to go the extra mile for our company. This was unique for a company that employs over 20,000 people.
Advancement was often done in-house so that employees could be molded to fit the position they were promoted to and had an extensive familiarity with the job, the company and what was expected.
Leaving the best company that I ever worked for was the hardest decision that I ever had to make, but I needed to in order to move closer to my aging mother who needed me closer to her with her health deteriorating.
Sr. SQL Developer (Current Employee), Newark, NJFebruary 9, 2015
 8+ Years of IT experience which includes System Analysis and Design, Development & Support of MS SQL Servers 2008 R2/2005/200 in Production, QA and Development Environments.
 Strong experience with T-SQL(DDL & DML) in Implementing & Developing Stored Procedures, Triggers, Nested Queries, Joins, Cursors, Views, User Defined Functions, Indexes, User Profiles, Relational Database Models, Creating & Updating tables and checking the database consistency by executing DBCC Commands.
 Ability to work in all stages of System Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
 Experience in Error handling and debugging coding issues and troubleshoot production problems.
 Extensive Experience in RDBMS concepts such as Tables, User Defined Data Types, Indexes, Indexed Views, Functions, CTE’s, Table Variables and Stored Procedures.
 Experience in using tools like Database Engine Tuning Advisor, SQL Profiler, Index Tuning Wizard and Windows Performance Monitor for Monitoring and Tuning MS SQL Server Performance.
My Time working at Blue Cross Blue Shield as a Subpoena Clerk
Project Search Intern (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: free lunches, gaining more knowledge
On September 2013 through January 2014, I started working at Blue Cross Blue Shield only as an intern working at two job placements during Rotations. Rotations, in the internship, means that you work in job placement for the total of 5 months before being placed into another job for another 5 months. My first job placement was working as a Subpoena Clerk. It was a very serious and confidential workplace because I had to be careful and precise dealing with customers cases involving other companies and families. My mentor taught me the importance of keeping people's files safe and secure by entering their data into the computer system and entered the payroll of how much the customers owed them for the company's files. It was a fun experience for me because being a Subpoena Clerk required me to be fast-paced yet careful. My co-workers were always nice to me because they would help and show me what I have done right or wrong and I would always fix the problem. The most enjoyable part of my job experience was making new files while terminating old files and receiving scanned files from other companies from different cites. The management was kind of like a "here today, gone tomorrow" situation because I would rarely see my mentor but she would have meetings and events with her other co-workers and she would leave me notes telling me what to work on today and tomorrow if she did not come in to work that day.
A very busy place. Great Pay and Benefits!
Customer Service Professional (CSP) (Current Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits!
Cons: very busy
A very busy place. Great Pay and Benefits! Management sucks. They serve sugary and fattening foods as rewards. Great moral though.
Data Entry
Data Entry (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: nice work envorinment
Cons: temporary
Did data entry for Blue Cross blue shield, Entered data into the system. Got to learn new things so I enjoyed it. Friendly work environment.
compensation/benefits
Provider Automated Services (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 6, 2015
BCBS was very generous toward employees by paying fair compensation which included health benefits, retirement savings.
Not a good place to work.
Claims Analyst II (Former Employee), Lewiston, IDFebruary 6, 2015
While I can't speak about any other BCBS companies, Regence has about the worst management I've ever encountered in my professional life.

They aggressively and blatantly play favorites amongst their subordinates. It's fine if you're one of the favorites, but if you aren't, or if you are one and fall from grace, you're assigned the worst work available.

A favorite can even get permission to work from home while serving a house arrest sentence for drunk driving. A non-favorite gets written up just in time to mess up a transfer to another department, then terminated.

Also, since I've left, they seem to have entered into a routine of hiring new people, training them, and then "laying them off" after a few years so they can hire more new people for lower wages.
Excellent
Java Developer, Project (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 6, 2015
Web Based Health Insurance application is the preferred choice for Employee benefit products and services for Employers with 2 or more employees. This application has different frames as of Benefits Manager, Members & Providers etc.

About Blue Cross Blue Shield

Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC) is a licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. The mutually owned company – Read more

Blue Cross Blue Shield Salaries