Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,189 reviews matching the search
good benefits and 401 k ption
Membership Admin Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 17, 2015
I enjoy working for BCBST... my days are never the exact same. I may have billing most of the day, or talk to group administrators, or enroll employees in their health benefits. I have to recon payment, answer emails, solve billing or eligibility issues.
Pros
telecommute, flexible hours
Cons
consistently change with no prior warning
Customer Service Department
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winston Salem, NCMarch 21, 2016
This is a great company to work with. The customer service department is overly stressful.. The rules for Quality Control were always changing. Agents cannot be taking phone calls back to back and working through emails that require vast amounts of reading. often times the representative was not aware of these changes. This would result in the representative getting a poor score on a phone call, and then threats of termination. The company culture is fun and upbeat. They provide plenty of paid time off and at some locations there are full service cafeteria's and celebrations for all different causes. The people for the most part are wonderful. The hardest part of the job was the unnecessary micro management of the representatives' phone calls. I do not believe this is true for every department from what other workers have shared.
OK for someone who jus needs a job so they're not completely broke
Class processor (Current Employee) –  Florence, scSeptember 3, 2015
The atmosphere is relaxed and independent. No weekend work, and off on holidays. The perks stop there. The pay is not where I think it should be for a company of its caliber. I am currently a temp, and was told upon permanent roll over, I will still be making the same hourly wage.....what job doesn't give a raise once you become permanent? I like it well enough BC it allows me to pay bills, but not much else.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, holidays off, weekends off
Cons
No/low raises, unclear directions
Could be a great place
analyst (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 2, 2015
management thinks that they foster a heathy work environment when really what they do is nit pick about little details and micromanage. Communication is not timely or clear, managers inform you to do something and then forget what they told you to do months later and you are questioned for it. Onboarding was a joke, the onboarding process was not followed by management or anyone else. There was no training program, mentors told me to do things that were not standard practice and against the rules and I got blamed for it in the long run. I didn't know any better for a while because I was new and learned the hard way. Coworkers were very clique like hard to get along with. Benefits were really good.
Pros
benefits package
Cons
everything else
Community oriented
Outreach/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 13, 2015
Great working atmosphere
team efforts rewarded
community outreach projects to all employees benefits for volunteer hours
Great cafeteria and coffee shop banking in building along with a Gym
Pros
Excellent work conditions
Cons
Lay offs
claims processor II
Claims Processor II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 30, 2015
Adjudicating/Adjusting claims, while ensuring claims are handled appropriately; claim contains pertinent and correct information for processing. Ensure all claim lines post to the appropriate fund. Maintain departmental productivity goal by maintain a 97% payment accuracy rate. Maintain and follow-up on members accounts relating to coordinating of benefits.
Typical day
Agent Contact Representative I (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 7, 2016
Provide assistance with agent in regards to their members and or potential members in areas such as eligibility and benefits.
It's a job
Employee (Current Employee) –  Marshall, TXJanuary 8, 2016
Depending on the department there is flexibility available to employees. The cost of benefits are rising but not much of a pay increase.
Good work environment and support from co-workers
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 6, 2015
Good compensation, but has of late changed many of the company's staffing policies. They have begun some out-sourcing of jobs and thus, have lowered the workforce.
Pros
Very good insurance for employees at low cost. Generally good work environment.
Cons
Hard to move into management, Still has the "good old boys club" undercurrent.
Amazing Place to work
Acct Implementation Spec/Enrollment Ops Analyst (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 6, 2016
I had an amazing time working at BCBSRI and wish my career could have continued here. The value that this company puts on work life balance is remarkable. I have never worked anywhere else that was so focused on making associates happy at home and at work.
Pros
Amazing co-workers, great cafeteria food, gym and close to mall
Cons
Being outsourced
Productive and fun work enviroment
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 3, 2015
BCBSSC is a great place to work at! Good benefits and a lot of room for advancement within the company. I learned a lot about the healthcare environment and very much enjoyed my time with the company.
Very busy, fast paced job, just like I prefer
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Surfside Beach, SCSeptember 12, 2015
This company has been around for a very long time, of course. Unfortunately, they have never been known for treating their employees well on the job. The benefits were great, but there has always been a tendency to create an "everyone is replaceable at all times" attitude regardless of performance or tenure.

I had previously worked for them in the state of Illinois for 10 years and found that nothing has changed since then.
Benefits
Cons
No appreciation regardless of performance
Productive Environment
Member Services Representative I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 9, 2015
Plenty of career advancement available. Solid leadership and decent compensation benefits. Mostly contract jobs. Great training.
Pros
Job security, Cafe on site
Great benefits!
Claims Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 15, 2015
Working for BCBS of SC was an experience I will never forget! I worked with a great management team and outstanding coworkers at Palmetto GBA, subsidiary of BCBS of SC.
Benefits
Good steady work and office enviroment
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 25, 2015
The company is a good one to work for. The benefits are good and the work is steady, always 40 plus hours a week. It is strictly computer entry work, I became efficient with word and excel. Management was hard working and caring about their employees. I got along with everyone I worked with. The hardest part of the job was working sometimes every Saturday during the month. I worked there for 16 years and enjoyed the company and the management.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Hard to get time off
Family friendly environment
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 18, 2015
The company offered many job opportunities and was also able to provide benefits for personal development.

While at BCBSNC I was able to develop various skills in different fields of interest.
Excellent Benefits
Quality Onsite Audit Specialist RN (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2015
Good pay and benefits, but little opportunity for advancement. Encourage employees to become actively involved in the community through volunteerism.
Stay far away!!!
Member Associate-CHOICES (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TnSeptember 23, 2015
There is no room for advancement unless you are good friends with higher management. Most jobs are given to me people who know absolutely nothing about specific work area. Turn-over rate is high due to being understaffed.
Benefits
Cons
Micromanaged, No Advancements, Training department needs improvement.
Great company to work for
REFERRAL SPECIALIST/CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 17, 2015
Great company that offers good benefits and the ability to advance in your career. You have the opportunity to learn various medical terms, insurance codes and understand how to provide the customer with their benifits.
Work
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 3, 2015
There are no benefits with this job and you can work over 6 weeks full time hours but will still not get benefits. If this job were good to their employees as their good to their customers they would have results.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield. Our community is ready to answer.