Blue Cross Blue Shield

•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Customer Service Advocate
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 26, 2014
Pros: assisting health care providers with in-depth questions on claims benefits and medical eligibility
Cons: working from home- although enjoyable, i prefer to assist people face to face experience in health care industry
Provided stellar inbound telephonic assistance to medical practices / providers insured members resolving all health insurance questions and concerns.
Assisted providers and members with North Carolina Medical claims as well as nationwide.
Reviewed policy and benefits with eligibility inquiries and resolved any additional health insurance concerns on – more... products and services.
Delivered Seamless energetic and innovative service solutions to increase stakeholder satisfaction and retain customers.
Supported Blue Cross Blue Shield provider/ member flex team, which exceeds 3.6 million insured members abiding by HIPPA Privacy regulations. – less
Productive and Organized Working Structure
Analyst (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 26, 2014
Pros: working in healthcare, gives me alot of knowledge and experience in this field.
Cons: walking to different buildings for meetings in the winter is very hard.
I enjoy working for Blue Cross as a Analyst/Project Coordinator. The enviornment is very open and people are very kind here. My boss is the biggest reasin why I have gained so much experience. I have worked on several projects so i dont get bored with the work. I like trying new things and learning new software and applications. I am a quick learner, – more... so I learn new software and processes on my free time.

The hardest part of this job is trying to multitask on several projects at once. That can become difficult, but I am trying to improve my timing and space out my tasks at certain times in the week. This is so that I can get my work done in a timely manner. I always believe that quality is better than quantity, because the deliverables is what upper management looks at and not so much the time you took to create or produce it. I am a team player and interact well with others. – less
Very good environment and work atmosphere.
Telecommunications Specialist I (Former Employee), North Haven, CTJune 25, 2014
Very good environment and work atmosphere. Fellow workers and management all excellent.
Great Company for advancement
Claims Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 25, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: salary
A great company for advancement, very flexible, and fit for working mothers.
Fast paced, but did your work without much direct supervision
Claims Examiner, COB Specialist (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 24, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, light supervision, could listen to radio/headphones
Cons: management declined in quality, causing department to close
I enjoyed working for this company for themost part, however, the management went downhill. I love auditing, and working insurance claims - would have liked to keep working there
The company was great they did alot for their employees
Medical Claims Processor (Former Employee), albuquerque NMJune 24, 2014
I enjoyed working here but did have a lil problem getting the hang of their system
Lack of solid management
Claims Customer Service Advocate I (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 24, 2014
Pros: on-site gym and cafeteria
Cons: low pay
One of the most stressful jobs, but quite rewarding to know that you are offering such an important service to many people who have no knowledge of insurance and what it entails.
Great start-up location
Senior Contract Analyst / Accountant II (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJune 24, 2014
I enjoyed my learning experience at this company. I learned a lot about Customer Service, telephone calls, claims processing and correspondence. It was a great foundation to deal with beneficiaries and provider. It also allowed me to obtain a great hands-on foundation in Contracts Management.
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 23, 2014
Loved working with this company and staff as well learned alot about health care coverage
Fast pace, friendly, great work ethic
Strategic Provider Relationships Consultant (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits, great pay, friendly coworkers and managers
Cons: healthcare, breaks, caring, committed
My work ethics is very good. I will research and work on a problem until it is resolved. I am a team player. I enjoy my workplace family.

My job can some time get very intense but I take each issue one step at a time. I do not allow the issues to overcome me. I overcome the issue.
Great company to work for ... wish I had been given a fair chance.
Voice Response Unit Clerk, Customer Service (Former Employee), Abilene, TXJune 21, 2014
Pros: great job, good people, benefits, overall enjoyable job.
Cons: lost job because co-worker was never replaced, coudn't handle three states by myself
I very much enjoyed working there and made sure that I kept on top of my responsibilities. The people, for the most part were very pleasant and the job was very demanding but I enjoyed taking care of the customer's requests. I worked alonside another co-worker who was pregnant and she was very proficient as well.

We were in charge of taking care of – more... three states ... Illinois, Texas, and New Mexico. The VRU - Voice Response Unit recorded all requests from these three states on a daily basis and we were reponsible for clearing those requests in a timely manner. Over all we did a great job as a team and kept the requests to a minimum.

Then my co-worker took maturnity leave and was supposed to return, but never did. The company never replaced the co-worker and so I had to handle all the requests by myself. Eventually I was unable to stay on top of the requests coming in and the company fired me.

I would have loved to keep working there and would go back if given a chance. I just wish I had been given a chance then. – less
Each day was a different day. Monday was image day, Tuesday was Blue Card day, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday was X,T,C claims
Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Rockford, ILJune 21, 2014
Pros: great medical benefits, flex time
Cons: had pto time and had no sick time, that was taken from your pto time.
Started at 7:00 am worked on claims till 12:00 lunch time to 1:00 worked back on claims till 3:30
Nice people and management had high expectations.
Adjudicator (Former Employee), Meridian IdahoJune 20, 2014
I learned that I do have a lot to offer a company because I am a go getter and do the best I possibly can, sometimes I just try too hard and defeat myself.
Claims Analyst (Former Employee), BirminghamJune 20, 2014
Great place to work! Claims analysts position was challenging yet enjoyable.
Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Computer Room Technician (Former Employee), Helena, MTJune 20, 2014
Pros: free lunch, christmas parties, and learning new skills
Cons: late shifts, team members who would not partiicipate in helping other team members
A typical day at work would be to monitor all IT systems upon arrival at work.

I learned some very critical functions of backing up data to tapes, running programs which would allow the running of certain jobs such as ZEKE and JES2. When these programs were ran certain out put was sent to the printer. This data was used to provide financial information – more... to clients of Blue Cross/Blue Shield

Management consisted of a Computer Room supervisor. Management was hardly ever present in the control room.

Co-workers were great! Everyone was willing to help everyone else.

The hardest part of this position was keeping certain programs from abending during the running phase. If a program did abend then the programmers had to come into the control room and fix the reason why the program is not functioning.

The most enjoyable part of this job is learning how programs ran and discovering the method of trying to fix programs if they did abend. Another enjoyable part of this position is working with all the great people at Blue Cross/ Blue Shield – less
security
senior transition rep (Current Employee), wilmington deJune 20, 2014
Pros: games free lunches and snacks great hours
Cons: lack of advancement since merger
heavy phone volume , heavy quality requirments, must know insurance coding billing , group benefits knowledge for over 200 groups
This position requires a person who must demonstrate an ability to work effectively with people and be a team member.
Member Service Representative I (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 18, 2014
This position was in a fast paced call center environment. A typical day consists of answering non-stop customer questions about processed and/or denied claims.The management team was very helpful and knowledgeable. My co-workers was reliable as well as helpful.
Flexibility and Innovative Technologies
Senior Java Developer/ Tech Lead (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 18, 2014
Blue Cross Blue Shield is a company which always gives a chance to use Innovative Ideas and always latest technologies. It also gives lot of flexibility for the employees and very encouraging.
strong team support and work from home
FEP professional claims specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 18, 2014
Pros: work from home and benefits
Cons: often required much overtime with little to no notice
I worked from home. I began work at 6:30am. I worked with little management interaction, although they were always available. I learned that working at home means that you must have complete and applicable skills to perform the required tasks. I have the self discipline for this because I have always been accountable for my actions. My co-workers in – more... the office were always there for me as part of the team even though I didn't see them but once or twice a year. We were a team that pulled together to be successful in all areas of our required services. Not being at team functions was probably the hardest part of my job. Knowing that I could achieve my required task on a daily basis as well as help others complete theirs was the most enjoyable part of being a team player. – less

About Blue Cross Blue Shield

Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC) is a licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. The mutually owned company – Read more

Blue Cross Blue Shield Photos