Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama Employee Reviews in United States

A good place to work.
Claims Processing Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALNovember 18, 2015
Overall this is a good place to work. Management is dedicated to the well being of their associates. Some room for advancement. Always willing to provide training for associates to improve their abilities.
Lovely Place to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALNovember 5, 2015
I love working here. Great compensation. Great diversity. There are opportunities if you perform to the best of your abilities and are able to demonstrate great versatility.
Pros
Compensation, Perks, work life balance
Cons
Slow Advancement unless know the correct people, PTO earnings
FEP Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 14, 2015
My work consists of making telephone calls to members who have a complicated medical history or who are currently in hospital. I have to be familiar with their health benefits to ensure they understand what is available to them for their current clinical condition. I have worked with members who are undergoing or in need of a transplant to end of life care with hospice needs. I have to review their clinical condition to make determination of medical necessity. There are 4 nurses on a team and our work is collaborative. The hardest part of the job is having to inform members that they do not have certain benefits and trying to assess what other benefits they have to work within their condition. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with members and see outcomes.
Pros
CEU
Cons
productive goals
Caring management and caring associates
Management (Former Employee) –  Hoover, AlabamaSeptember 20, 2015
Great company, with exceptional leaders. Company is very progressive and affords the opportunity for advancement. Salary and benefits are extremely competitive with other employers within Shelby and Jefferson counties.
15 years of Service in Healthcare
Internal Representative (Current Employee) –  birmingham alabamaAugust 4, 2015
Provide support to provider/vendors for technical support for claims filing, rejection, audit report and access to BCBSAL web portal. Healthcare industry is always evolving, which means changes are inevitable. Management provide support as needed, along with co-workers. The hardest part of the job is playing phone tag with provider/vendors. I most enjoyable part of the job is how well we work together to reduce our backlog abdhow well we share information to work more efficient.
A very good place to work.
Inquiry Analyst (Former Employee) –  450 Riverchase Parkway E Birmingham, alAugust 2, 2015
I loved my job at Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I started in at the bottom and climbed my way up with my hard work and dedication.
Pros
benefits, learning experence
Cons
management, micro-management
Great company with amazing benefits
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 30, 2015
At BCBS AL I worked in a call center. A typical work day included signing in on the phone and then you start receiving calls. I would discuss the different benefits the plans have to offer to the members and also discuss claims and how they processed. Management was great, they always encouraged you to try harder and they were always willing to help. The hardest part of the job was the training. training for customer service took 12 weeks.
Very engaging company, offered excellent review opportunity for professional development.
Learning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 21, 2015
Typical day would consist of 10-12 hours of work; back to back meetings, with the opportunity to challenge and stretch your knowledge.
Management staff was very knowledgeable.
Enjoyable moments were watching others who were not familiar with insurance come to love and understand healthcare.
Cliff Note Summary Below
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 27, 2015
Great company who believes and practices performance management. Takes notice in high potentials and provides opportunities to strengthen their business acumen for future growth.
Healthcare
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  BirminghamJanuary 21, 2015
• Updated claims in suspense to ensure adjudication
• Researched information to determine accuracy in claims processing
• Keyed claims involving multiple lines of business
• Responsible for meeting production goals
Administrative assistant to Managers and Officers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AlabamaSeptember 23, 2014
Schedule appointments, manage calendars, made travel arrangements, prepared expensive reports, gathered information for meetings, filed and phone, routed work from ingoing mail.

I get satisfaction in helping and assisting others.

I have worked for many years and have learned to work well with others.
Pros
you are praised for good work. a fair and reputable company
Run, Run, Run if you can
Customer Service Liasion (Current Employee) –  Huntsville,ALJuly 23, 2014
When I was going through the initial interview process I was thinking to myself I have found the place I was going to retire from. The management team made everything GLORY in interview;but once you are through training and placed on the floor TRUE COLORS BLEED THROUGH. Now, working in Birmingham may be different, but working in Huntsville is HORRIBLE. We currently have employees leaving HSC and actually commute back and forth from Huntsville to Birmingham if that tells you anything. The management team in Huntsville, needs to be checked because they are not fair. The call center manager walks around all day talking to his favorites, and goes to the moon and back for them. If you are not walking around with your lips attached to someone's tail then you are written up, picked on and kicked out. It is extremely stressful and I also have a early shift and get off early. 7 1/2hours on the phone no bathroom break is horrid.its not worth it and I will be glad when I am blessed with another opportunity. The turn over is bad here so YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!
Pros
benefits and no weekends
Cons
no breaks, horrible management
Productive, team-oriented place to work.
Enrollment Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALApril 28, 2014
A typical day entails handling numerous internal customer calls, maintaining and updating billing and other enrollment information for individual customer accounts. Management is joy to work for. Management understands that. There really isn't a hard part to the job. While changes do occur and can be challenging at times, it did not warrant sever difficulties in performing job duties. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with a group of people with strong work ethics such as yourself and having a rapport with each of my co-workers.
Pros
affordable health care, on campus dining center, vacation accrurals, and availability to earn bonuses. on site work-out facility and nurses on duty.
Cons
no more free health insurance for employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 19, 2014
I was 19 years old when I started to work. They gave me my first "real job". I had some great managers and we would compete to see who could do the most work and actually had fun doing it.
Pros
great work hours
Cons
the drive to blue cross from my home
Excellent
Customer Service Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AlabamaSeptember 7, 2013
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama was an excellent company to work for. They provide their employees with the training, tools and support necessary to perform their jobs at the highest level. The Management is constantly striving to insure that Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama can provide the Employer and employee with best possible Health Insurance and the most affordable payment without sacrificing the patient's health and well being.
multi-task, time management,great customer service skills
CAHABA GBA PROVIDER ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  HWY 280August 28, 2013
I have received several company wide Kudos for providing great customer service skills at Cahaba GBA
I currently audit provider enrollment analyst and provider one on one /group training. I correct errors made on provider's records and handle provider complaints. I provide PECOS testing and training for CMS
Work well with management and co-worker(s) -Team Player
The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting the analyst to make there goals and to provider groups and providers with quality customer service, I also enjoy solving esculated issues directed from CMS in a timely manner. The hardest part of my job is informing an analyst that due to the lack of quality on their audit they will not receive a bonus on their pay check.
Pros
flexible schedule and bonuses
Cons
contracts may end therefore employment maybe sacrificed
corporate environment with advancement options
Customer Service and Credentialing (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 22, 2013
company has provided me with skills and education that will last a lifetime. The customer service skills I have acquired have been beyond measure.
Great company and environment
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 22, 2013
I enjoyed working here since it had so many
aspects of a great working environment. There was so much diversity and their values on excellent. My day typically consisted of a high incoming call volume but it was not overly stressful.
Think before you LEAP!
Provider Support (Current Employee) –  Huntsville ALSeptember 28, 2012
A typical day at work can be very stressful and hectic with no consideration from management. I have learned many things about the insurance industry to last me a lifetime and that is a PLUS! The management team is intimidating and consists of liars. Yes I said it, liars. They will tell you one thing to your face and communicate something different in an email. The policies always change, it is very hard to keep up. There is a bonus payout set up but the requirements are so ridiculous that many people NEVER meet their numbers, so they don't get a monthy bonus. The hardest part of the job is managing different calls. You are not told in the beginning that you will be doing the work of two or more people UNTIL you are employed. The enjoyable part of the job are my co-workers, they really help me through the tough days. I am thankful to have a job but I just wish a lot of the obvious would have been addressed in the beginning which would have allowed people to make a more conscience decison. For the record the location in Huntsville is completly different than the location in Birmingham. The differences are management and wages. If you become employed you will learn the difference soon enough, basically Huntsville is the "red headed step - child." Oh you MUST be signed on your phone for a minimum of 7 hours in order to make the minimum requirements but in order to receive your bonus you MUST be signed in for 7 1/2 hours. Signed in = no breaks/no personal time off the phone, you must be talking to a person or it will negatively impact your average. Just an FYI. If you are ok with  more... being confined to a chair for at least 7 hours a day and no flexibility then honey this is THE job for YOU!  less
Pros
the ability to form long lastting relationships with your co-workers. mine are awesome!
Cons
short/no breaks - no vision benefit coverage - management is not caring
Blue Cross Blue Shield of AL (HSC) - Huntsville
Not employed (Former Employee) –  HuntsvilleSeptember 19, 2012
Great place to work. It is a call center, so responsible for taking calls, but Management is kind and respectful to employees, work hours are always 8-5 (no more grave yard shift) and great working enviornment. Good salaries with opportunity for financial advancement. Would recommend to anyone.
Pros
work hours m-f, 8:5, no weekends

4.3