Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama Employee Reviews

Employee
Employee (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 19, 2017
I continued to learn something different and trained on many different areas in the company. I became a very well rounded person while working here
Stuck in hostile, outdated work environment
Customer Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 11, 2017
I was a customer services representative. As far as the position, I loved my job. As far as the management, I couldn't imagine worse. I was in the position for right at 2 years. If benefits are more important to you than your actual mental wellbeing, then I would recommend this company. If you enjoy working for a private company who works under outdated work policies, then work for this company.
na
Customer Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 9, 2016
Every organization is different and offers certain cultures. The individual seeking employment or new hires will learn the custom and adjust to the fast pace and family oriented organization.
Productive and Fun place to work
Manager, Server Enginnering (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 9, 2016
Productive and Fun place to work. I would recommend anyone to work there. Good compensation package. Worked in several positions within IT and progressed to management level.
A good place to work.
Claims Processing Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALNovember 18, 2015
Overall this is a good place to work. Management is dedicated to the well being of their associates. Some room for advancement. Always willing to provide training for associates to improve their abilities.
Excellent workplace
Learning and Development Documentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 11, 2015
Excellent place to work and advance in the healthcare insurance industry. Supportive management and friendly co-workers.
Pros
on-site amenities such as cafeteria and great health initiatives to participate in
Lovely Place to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALNovember 5, 2015
I love working here. Great compensation. Great diversity. There are opportunities if you perform to the best of your abilities and are able to demonstrate great versatility.
Pros
Compensation, Perks, work life balance
Cons
Slow Advancement unless know the correct people, PTO earnings
FEP Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 14, 2015
My work consists of making telephone calls to members who have a complicated medical history or who are currently in hospital. I have to be familiar with their health benefits to ensure they understand what is available to them for their current clinical condition. I have worked with members who are undergoing or in need of a transplant to end of life care with hospice needs. I have to review their clinical condition to make determination of medical necessity. There are 4 nurses on a team and our work is collaborative. The hardest part of the job is having to inform members that they do not have certain benefits and trying to assess what other benefits they have to work within their condition. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with members and see outcomes.
Pros
CEU
Cons
productive goals
Caring management and caring associates
Management (Former Employee) –  Hoover, AlabamaSeptember 20, 2015
Great company, with exceptional leaders. Company is very progressive and affords the opportunity for advancement. Salary and benefits are extremely competitive with other employers within Shelby and Jefferson counties.
15 years of Service in Healthcare
Internal Representative (Current Employee) –  birmingham alabamaAugust 4, 2015
Provide support to provider/vendors for technical support for claims filing, rejection, audit report and access to BCBSAL web portal. Healthcare industry is always evolving, which means changes are inevitable. Management provide support as needed, along with co-workers. The hardest part of the job is playing phone tag with provider/vendors. I most enjoyable part of the job is how well we work together to reduce our backlog abdhow well we share information to work more efficient.
A very good place to work.
Inquiry Analyst (Former Employee) –  450 Riverchase Parkway E Birmingham, alAugust 2, 2015
I loved my job at Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I started in at the bottom and climbed my way up with my hard work and dedication.
Pros
benefits, learning experence
Cons
management, micro-management
Great company with amazing benefits
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 30, 2015
At BCBS AL I worked in a call center. A typical work day included signing in on the phone and then you start receiving calls. I would discuss the different benefits the plans have to offer to the members and also discuss claims and how they processed. Management was great, they always encouraged you to try harder and they were always willing to help. The hardest part of the job was the training. training for customer service took 12 weeks.
Very engaging company, offered excellent review opportunity for professional development.
Learning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 21, 2015
Typical day would consist of 10-12 hours of work; back to back meetings, with the opportunity to challenge and stretch your knowledge.
Management staff was very knowledgeable.
Enjoyable moments were watching others who were not familiar with insurance come to love and understand healthcare.
Cliff Note Summary Below
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 27, 2015
Great company who believes and practices performance management. Takes notice in high potentials and provides opportunities to strengthen their business acumen for future growth.
Healthcare
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  BirminghamJanuary 21, 2015
• Updated claims in suspense to ensure adjudication
• Researched information to determine accuracy in claims processing
• Keyed claims involving multiple lines of business
• Responsible for meeting production goals
Administrative assistant to Managers and Officers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AlabamaSeptember 23, 2014
Schedule appointments, manage calendars, made travel arrangements, prepared expensive reports, gathered information for meetings, filed and phone, routed work from ingoing mail.

I get satisfaction in helping and assisting others.

I have worked for many years and have learned to work well with others.
Pros
You are praised for good work. A fair and reputable company
Run, Run, Run if you can
Customer Service Liasion (Current Employee) –  Huntsville,ALJuly 23, 2014
When I was going through the initial interview process I was thinking to myself I have found the place I was going to retire from. The management team made everything GLORY in interview;but once you are through training and placed on the floor TRUE COLORS BLEED THROUGH. Now, working in Birmingham may be different, but working in Huntsville is HORRIBLE. We currently have employees leaving HSC and actually commute back and forth from Huntsville to Birmingham if that tells you anything. The management team in Huntsville, needs to be checked because they are not fair. The call center manager walks around all day talking to his favorites, and goes to the moon and back for them. If you are not walking around with your lips attached to someone's tail then you are written up, picked on and kicked out. It is extremely stressful and I also have a early shift and get off early. 7 1/2hours on the phone no bathroom break is horrid.its not worth it and I will be glad when I am blessed with another opportunity. The turn over is bad here so YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!
Pros
Benefits and no weekends
Cons
No breaks, horrible management
Productive, team-oriented place to work.
Enrollment Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALApril 28, 2014
A typical day entails handling numerous internal customer calls, maintaining and updating billing and other enrollment information for individual customer accounts. Management is joy to work for. Management understands that. There really isn't a hard part to the job. While changes do occur and can be challenging at times, it did not warrant sever difficulties in performing job duties. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with a group of people with strong work ethics such as yourself and having a rapport with each of my co-workers.
Pros
Affordable health care, on campus dining center, vacation accrurals, and availability to earn bonuses. On site work-out facility and nurses on duty.
Cons
No more free health insurance for employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 19, 2014
I was 19 years old when I started to work. They gave me my first "real job". I had some great managers and we would compete to see who could do the most work and actually had fun doing it.
Pros
Great work hours
Cons
The drive to Blue Cross from my home
Excellent
Customer Service Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AlabamaSeptember 7, 2013
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama was an excellent company to work for. They provide their employees with the training, tools and support necessary to perform their jobs at the highest level. The Management is constantly striving to insure that Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama can provide the Employer and employee with best possible Health Insurance and the most affordable payment without sacrificing the patient's health and well being.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2