Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama Employee Reviews

Administrative assistant to Managers and Officers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, AlabamaSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: you are praised for good work. a fair and reputable company
Schedule appointments, manage calendars, made travel arrangements, prepared expensive reports, gathered information for meetings, filed and phone, routed work from ingoing mail.

I get satisfaction in helping and assisting others.

I have worked for many years and have learned to work well with others.
Run, Run, Run if you can
Customer Service Liasion (Current Employee), Huntsville,ALJuly 23, 2014
Pros: benefits and no weekends
Cons: no breaks, horrible management
When I was going through the initial interview process I was thinking to myself I have found the place I was going to retire from. The management team made everything GLORY in interview;but once you are through training and placed on the floor TRUE COLORS BLEED THROUGH. Now, working in Birmingham may be different, but working in Huntsville is HORRIBLE. We currently have employees leaving HSC and actually commute back and forth from Huntsville to Birmingham if that tells you anything. The management team in Huntsville, needs to be checked because they are not fair. The call center manager walks around all day talking to his favorites, and goes to the moon and back for them. If you are not walking around with your lips attached to someone's tail then you are written up, picked on and kicked out. It is extremely stressful and I also have a early shift and get off early. 7 1/2hours on the phone no bathroom break is horrid.its not worth it and I will be glad when I am blessed with another opportunity. The turn over is bad here so YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!
Productive, team-oriented place to work.
Enrollment Services Specialist (Current Employee), Hoover, ALApril 28, 2014
Pros: affordable health care, on campus dining center, vacation accrurals, and availability to earn bonuses. on site work-out facility and nurses on duty.
Cons: no more free health insurance for employees
A typical day entails handling numerous internal customer calls, maintaining and updating billing and other enrollment information for individual customer accounts. Management is joy to work for. Management understands that. There really isn't a hard part to the job. While changes do occur and can be challenging at times, it did not warrant sever difficulties in performing job duties. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with a group of people with strong work ethics such as yourself and having a rapport with each of my co-workers.
Fun workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), N/AMarch 16, 2014
Pros: three 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch break.
Cons: inconsistancy
Typical day: Answering calls for customers with problems and solving the issue(s) with them.
What I've learned working here is that there is a lot more to insurance then I thought.
Management and my co-workers were amazing! They are practically family to me now.
The hardest part of my job here was a few issue(s) that required getting a hold of hospitals/doctors offices/pharmacies etc.
The most enjoyable part was making an upset/angry/confused consumer happy and knowing they understand the situation fully.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: great work hours
Cons: the drive to blue cross from my home
I was 19 years old when I started to work. They gave me my first "real job". I had some great managers and we would compete to see who could do the most work and actually had fun doing it.
Excellent
Customer Service Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee), Birmingham, AlabamaSeptember 7, 2013
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama was an excellent company to work for. They provide their employees with the training, tools and support necessary to perform their jobs at the highest level. The Management is constantly striving to insure that Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama can provide the Employer and employee with best possible Health Insurance and the most affordable payment without sacrificing the patient's health and well being.
multi-task, time management,great customer service skills
CAHABA GBA PROVIDER ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), HWY 280August 28, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule and bonuses
Cons: contracts may end therefore employment maybe sacrificed
I have received several company wide Kudos for providing great customer service skills at Cahaba GBA
I currently audit provider enrollment analyst and provider one on one /group training. I correct errors made on provider's records and handle provider complaints. I provide PECOS testing and training for CMS
Work well with management and co-worker(s) -Team Player
The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting the analyst to make there goals and to provider groups and providers with quality customer service, I also enjoy solving esculated issues directed from CMS in a timely manner. The hardest part of my job is informing an analyst that due to the lack of quality on their audit they will not receive a bonus on their pay check.
corporate environment with advancement options
Customer Service and Credentialing (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 22, 2013
company has provided me with skills and education that will last a lifetime. The customer service skills I have acquired have been beyond measure.
Great company and environment
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALFebruary 22, 2013
I enjoyed working here since it had so many
aspects of a great working environment. There was so much diversity and their values on excellent. My day typically consisted of a high incoming call volume but it was not overly stressful.
Think before you LEAP!
Provider Support (Current Employee), Huntsville ALSeptember 28, 2012
Pros: the ability to form long lastting relationships with your co-workers. mine are awesome!
Cons: short/no breaks - no vision benefit coverage - management is not caring
A typical day at work can be very stressful and hectic with no consideration from management. I have learned many things about the insurance industry to last me a lifetime and that is a PLUS! The management team is intimidating and consists of liars. Yes I said it, liars. They will tell you one thing to your face and communicate something different in an email. The policies always change, it is very hard to keep up. There is a bonus payout set up but the requirements are so ridiculous that many people NEVER meet their numbers, so they don't get a monthy bonus. The hardest part of the job is managing different calls. You are not told in the beginning that you will be doing the work of two or more people UNTIL you are employed. The enjoyable part of the job are my co-workers, they really help me through the tough days. I am thankful to have a job but I just wish a lot of the obvious would have been addressed in the beginning which would have allowed people to make a more conscience decison. For the record the location in Huntsville is completly different than the location in Birmingham. The differences are management and wages. If you become employed you will learn the difference soon enough, basically Huntsville is the "red headed step - child." Oh you MUST be signed on your phone for a minimum of 7 hours in order to make the minimum requirements but in order to receive your bonus you MUST be signed in for 7 1/2 hours. Signed in = no breaks/no personal time off the phone, you must be talking to a person or it will negatively impact your average. Just an FYI. If you are ok with being confined to a chair for at least 7 hours a day and no flexibility then honey this is THE job for YOU!
Blue Cross Blue Shield of AL (HSC) - Huntsville
Not employed (Former Employee), HuntsvilleSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: work hours m-f, 8:5, no weekends
Great place to work. It is a call center, so responsible for taking calls, but Management is kind and respectful to employees, work hours are always 8-5 (no more grave yard shift) and great working enviornment. Good salaries with opportunity for financial advancement. Would recommend to anyone.
Call Center
CSR (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALAugust 26, 2012
When first starting with the company a wonderful picture is portrayed. Management is really nice and sweet. Then once you get out of training the stress begins. You sit and qoute benefit information all day as well as try to figure out how claims were processed. They will then train you to take a second call type in two days and throw you back out to the wolves. The management has their favs and they show it. The best part of the job was the pay and a few of the employees. I had a shift that got off early but I paid for it because I only had a 30 minute lunch. No breaks!! Imagine being on the phones for 7 1/2 hours with calls waiting all day and not having a break. Think wisely before accepting this position.
Very productive when you have help
Intern (Former Employee), Hoover, ALJuly 29, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: can't think of any cons
Most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people. all of my co-workers were nice