Blue Diamond Growers

Blue Diamond Growers Employee Reviews

A very decent job.
Truck Scales Attendant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 7, 2017
I don't think there is a such thing as a perfect company, but Blue Diamond is probably as close as it gets. The pay is generous, the working environment is positive.. Holiday time is wonderful, plenty of time off to spend with loved ones. They're pretty considerate. You learn a various amount of skills in whichever department you work. Management teams seem to work well together and get things across efficiently. I don't think you'll have any real complaints working here.
Pros
Enjoyable work
Cons
No pension plan
Beware of ineffective management
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CaliforniaFebruary 11, 2017
BDG is the poster child for the "good old boys" club. One Site Director is a great admirer of self-help books on manufacturing and leadership so he can mask his shortcomings in both areas. Director of Engineering is an autocrat and his inept management of both contractors and scope creep is costing the growers big time. If you can check out your brain and leave your integrity at the door this is the place to work so go for it!

The best thing I can say is that the Turlock maintenance department is the only bright spot in this entire organization.
Pros
Good pay and benefits for hourly employees
Cons
Lots of drama, office politics are rampant, management is weak and ineffective
Horrible managment team that has no care in the world for their employees.
Advanced Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAOctober 18, 2016
Great pay, poorly managed facility in Turlock. This place pays well so they expect you to work extra hard, even unsafely! They fire employees for any reason, like asking too many questions or someone else was fired because he took too much time after his father died! The management creates a very harsh work environment. My co-workers were the best part of this place.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Hostile management creating a horrible work environment.
Got performance review early
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 19, 2016
Same like last year. How is it no matter how hard you try, the result same and I was told my merit before I finished my review? Saving grace, most people I work with and see regularly are pretty decent, long time employees who are my family.
Pros
Good long time employees
Cons
No longer happy place, no more future opportunities
Decent pay and benefits with the worst management I have ever encountered.
Maintenance Mechanic B (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 4, 2016
The work was not bad, but the mandatory 6-7 days a week really leave you no room for any sort of life. Management in maintenance keeps people against each other in order to cover their own short comings. I never received any sort of training or coaching. Lot's of family working under family members and are given a free pass on a lot of things. The Favoritism is rampant with management promoting the people who talk bad behind peoples backs and bring them food or just generally suck up. Blue Diamond as far as maintenance jobs go is the bottom of barrel, I would highly recommend not taking a job with this company.
Pros
some co-workers, pay/benefits.
Cons
Management, Favoritism, Inept shift leaders, Lack of job security.
Top heavy
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 23, 2016
This company hires too many chiefs not enough indians. Long time employees are overlooked from what i was told. I see high turnover certain areas.
Pros
Day to day people are pretty nice, pay ok
Cons
High turnover, no advancement :(
Productive and fun with happy people
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 23, 2015
Typical day at work: Working as a team member has been very beneficial. Learning different tasks from management on the importance of sanitary conditions. What I learned: Learn to sanitize properly. The hardest part of the job is: There is none
The most enjoyable part of the job is learning different chemicals for sanitation.
Working with my co-workers has been fun. Getting to know who they are and they things they did in their life.
Management has been a lot of fun to work with because of their personalities.
Pros
Christmas bonus, free safety dinners
Cons
High turn over rate

Comment – February 21, 2016

THERE IS A LOT OF DRAMA AND EXTREMELY UNHAPPY PEOPLE THAT WORK AT THE BLUE DIAMOND COMPANY. IT'S REALLY SAD THAT MONEY IS MORE IMPORTANT TO THE COMPANY THAN IT'S EMPLOYEES. WHEN I FIRST STARTED THERE I WAS A VERY HAPPY PERSON. THEN AFTER SEEING HOW PEOPLE TREAT OTHER PEOPLE I BECAME VERY UNHAPPY AND WANTED TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER JOB. SURE THE MONEY ISN'T BAD, BUT FOR ME IT WASN'T WORTH DEALING WITH THE DRAMA AND THE STRESS THE PEOPLE PUT ON OTHER PEOPLE.

General Labor/sorter (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 3, 2016
I love working for this company, there is always things to learn and do I find working in the diverse atmosphere is good great place to work.
Pros
Good Pay, and benifits
Cons
seasonal work for the first few seasons
Great Company, more than fair with its employees
Shipping & Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 5, 2015
In the short time I worked with BD, I found it to be the ideal company especially given the times we live in now.

BD is not one of those companies driven by profit. they pay well, benefits are outstanding and job/life balance is outstanding
Sanitation
Sanitation (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 6, 2015
Learned a lot got certified as a forklift driver and transporter. Worked graveyard which was hard on our family. enjoyed the work and pay. The hardest part was the shift. I enjoyed my coworkers. Management was not that great they totally overlooked good employees who always showed up on time for any type of advancement. Me being one I tried to move up and they would shoot me down
Pros
great health insurance
Cons
overlooked good employees and wouldnt give a chance to advance
The Best Place to Work!
Employee (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CAAugust 28, 2014
Blue Diamond Growers continues to experience double digit growth because it provides a high quality product. The Company has a values-rich environment; integrity, partnership, quality, and innovation are a way of life and they are attributed to our success. Sure, there are times when you work long days, but it is production and the increasing volumes and customer orders have to be completed. The Company is growing and it's great to be associated with a name-brand product.
Pros
Personal and professional growth for those who work for it.
Cons
Absolutely nothing!
Hope you like to kiss butt.
production (Current Employee) –  ModestoJuly 25, 2014
Work hours subject to change at a moments notice. Forget a home life, unscheduled overtime & stress are the norm. Get used to it.
Management is possibly the worst aspect of the job. Harassment, retaliation, lies. None of those are Blue Diamond core values, though they are practiced on a daily basis.
The one and only enjoyable part of the job is your co-workers. Everything else just blows. Too bad we all need a paycheck.
Pros
you get to leave
Cons
you have to show up
This job is a three star job
Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 12, 2014
tpyical day is clock in and have brief outline
on what going for that day and proceed.
I learned is not to be in one area long because
other ares need attention for moving the fright
smoothly and not to damage the if possible but
some of the fright comes already slightly damage
then i have it to quality control.I work alone
most of the time so i get to talk noone until
lunch time or after work.
the hardset part is getting the fright off the
loading track when come around to me. the enjoyable is set down and relaxing.
Pros
A Desent job
Cons
Not to damage the fright if necessary
poor management... some good working people.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  ModestoJuly 4, 2012
BDG does have some opportunity for advancement, but management is full of condescending, arrogant, old people. Not all of them, but certaintly most of them. Blue Diamond offers a good benefits package and decent pay, but you're subject to working seven days a week during the busy season. I'm glad I worked there for as long as I did. Training wasn't great but i still learned a lot. If it wasn't for terrible managing in some departments this may actually be a good place to work.
Pros
very few
Cons
many... bad culture and values
Terrible place to work.
Maint. Mech (Former Employee) –  Sisk Rd. Modesto, Ca.April 7, 2014
This place has the worst management I have ever encountered in my career of 45 yrs. as a maintenance mechanic. Favoritism is rampant. Harassment happens daily to those not in good with the boss.If you want to save your job here you have to curry serious favor.You will be fired at the smallest instigation, without prior knowledge of the problem, for the most trivial things. People are to be used and abused here, so dont think about working here.
Good Job
Talent Acquisition Manager/Internal Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 16, 2013
• Leads hiring managers and hiring teams through the recruiting/talent acquisition process; works to identify personnel needs, workforce planning strategies, and search assignments.
• Formulates recruiting strategies and goals.
• Analyzes and tracks staffing and business unit trends; makes appropriate recommendations that will positively impact the organization.
• Advises hiring managers and HR representatives on recruiting policies and regulations; works to clarify and resolve recruiting questions or problems.
• Functions as a member of the candidate interview team; uses of face-to-face behavioral-based interviewing methodologies.
• Oversees the post-interview debrief/feedback with the interview team and candidates
Poor Management
Operations (Former Employee) –  ModestoJuly 1, 2013
BD Growers overall has poor management. From Corporate Sacramento to newest facility in Turlock. Management operates in "silos' and uses old school managerial techniques to bully employees. Operating moto is: "The only two departments that matter are operation and sales. Sales because they sell the product and operations because they make the product...the rest of you are jock straps...here for support!!!!"

Let me get my homework done and payed really really well
Recieving Associate (Current Employee) –  Sanger, CAOctober 29, 2014
Aside from the fact this was seasonal work and we started working sundays, it was probably the best job I have had yet. However, being a college student planning on getting married in the near future, I need something a little more solid.
Pros
Plenty of down time, pay, benefits
Cons
I was bored a lot, late nights, and only seasonal
Overall A Great Learning Experience
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CaApril 12, 2012
I was greatful for this postion and having it last as long as it did. It was a pleasure working for this company! Though in all honesty, I need to be working in a position offering more challenges and an environment where my skills, strengths and talents can be fully utilized.
Pros
free almonds!
sorter role
Sorter, consumer packer, general labor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 16, 2015
seasonal work, ok co-workers, fair supervisors
very long days kind of difficult for single parents.
a lot of departments
Pros
great pay
Cons
no challenges

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Diamond Growers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7