Blue Lake Casino Employee Reviews

Reasonable in the back of house, unpleasant on the floor
Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAAugust 24, 2017
The culture among employees was always rather pleasant, but players can be quite the opposite. That is the nature of the business, but security and managerial oversight often felt rather lax. You work the shift you're given in many departments, often dependant on seniority. Health benefits are those of the tribe and as such are very generous. Also, offers a 401K.
Pros
Work culture can be pleasant if you work back of house
Cons
The casino floor is not a fun place to be for 8 hours a day every day
Very fun workplace!
Cocktail Server (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAAugust 4, 2017
Blue Lake Casino was a very fun work environment full of young, eager employees. Management was very good about working around your schedule and flexibility. Great place to work if you are in school. You are constantly on your feet and moving so the shifts go by very fast. I would definately recommend working here to others. If I were to move back to this part of California I know that I could go back and work for this casino.
Pros
health benefits, employee discounts, flexible scheduling
Cons
no paid vacations
Guest Room Attendant
Guest Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAJuly 28, 2017
This is a good job for students. Management will work around your school schedule and always make you feel appreciated at work (e.g. star cards, sharing goodies, free BLC stuff).
It's not a fun job and it's not for everyone. When I first started, there was a high turnover rate. In this job, you will be walking, bending, and lifting a lot.
Shift starts at 10 a.m. and ends whenever you are done with your rooms. The latest is 6:30 p.m.
A typical day at work involves with clocking in, getting your room chart (arrivals/checkouts/stay overs), stocking your cart, and then cleaning your rooms. Management gives you 30 minutes to clean each of your standard rooms (queens/kings) and 45 minutes to clean the deluxe rooms. If it's busy, you should expect to get 10-13 checkouts and if it slow, you should expect to get 5-9 checkouts. If you are cleaning stay overs, you should expect to get 12-36 rooms depending on how busy the day is.
The hardest part of the job, is trying to finish all of your rooms as quickly as you can in 8 hours or less. However, if you are behind in your rooms, management will send your co-workers to come and help you finish your rooms.
The most enjoyable part of this job is spending time with co-workers.
Pros
$0.30 raise every 3 months
Cons
manual labor
Very good job, I would go back and work for them if I still lived in California.
Small Engine Mechanic, landscaping (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAJune 20, 2017
I picked up trash for an hour and then I checked in with my supervisor and did whatever she needed done. I then went to the maintenance shop and worked on equipment. I had lunch at one o' clock. I helped move desks from the warehouse and I then finally watered plants till the end of the day. I also had to mow.

I learned how to make bio-diesel and made a large garden and managed it. I learned how do irrigation and warehouse management.

Management was excellent and I liked everyone I came in contact with and I especially enjoyed my immediate supervisors and learned a great deal from them.

I didn't like the bad language some people used but all in all I made a lot of good friends.

The hardest part of the job was to learn to drop everything I was doing and go start another job, sometimes I wouldn't get back to my first job for another couple of weeks. So all in all multi-tasking.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working on the small engines and being able to do different things everyday.
Pros
Good benefits and close friends I still keep in contact with.
Cons
Wages weren't very good.
Do Not Work Here
Employee (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAJune 2, 2017
I worked at blue lake casino for many years. They do not treat their people well and turn over is extremely high. You will not be respected or valued for the time and effort you put into your job nor at times will they respect you as a person. Management can't make up their minds and frequently changes what they say from one minute to the next. There are some good points to working there, but honestly looking back on the experience it was mostly not so good, and I wish had never set foot in that place. I could go on, but ultimately I would not recommend this place even as a temporary job.
Pros
None that out weight the cons
Cons
I've said enough on this point
Horrible management
Guest Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAMarch 23, 2017
Miscommunication is the biggest problem they tell you one thing then 5 minutes later they will ask what are you doing and act like they didn't just tell you to do
A fun and interesting place to work
Pit Boss (Current Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAFebruary 16, 2017
A safe, interesting, and fun customer service environment. Being a casino it has the occasional low life, otherwise it's a fun environment with good employees and regular guests.
Labor-based, no advancement.
Guest Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CANovember 12, 2016
Shift starts at 10AM.
You get a list of rooms to clean or provide stayover service for.
Go to your cart, stock it with terry and linen and room supplies.
Clean rooms in a timely manner and up to hotel standards.
In the summer, expect to stay until 6-7pm. In the winter, you're looking at 6hr days.

Overall, great place, with some great co-workers. There is always room for improvement though.
You will be on your feet ALL DAY. Lots of lifting, bending, running, pushing, etc. it's great to get in those cardio hours.
Slackers usually don't fare well. High turnover rate due to the nature of the job.
Pros
Cardio exercise, nice people.
Cons
Little, to no breaks. On your feet all day.
easy job but not what i want
Players Club Hostess (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAMay 27, 2016
A typical day at work would star out by coming in and setting up your computer. Opening the programs you will use throughout the day, then checking your work email. Then you just wait until guests come to you and you give them what they need and/or answer any questions they may have.
I learned how to use the programs specific to the casino.I feel that this job really strengthened my ability to calm guests down when they are angry as well as taught me how to deal with situations like like that.
The hardest part of my job was not having the ability to make sure that all my guests left my window happy and feeling like they got what they want and deserve. Most things where completely out of my hands and that made it difficult to satisfy a good amount of my guests.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the fact that i got to see new a multitude of people every day. I loved getting to know the regulars and becoming acquainted on a more personal level as well.
Fun environment and staff members
Beverage/Food Server (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CASeptember 17, 2015
A very fun, fast paced environment to work in. Also, very positive staff members. A very efficiently ran business. A good opportunity to move up.
Not enough pay for the job
Cashier / Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Blue Lake, CASeptember 17, 2015
the management is completely incompetent and unable to complete normal management functions. I could rant, stories on stories about this place and how the management sucks, but I'm literally tired of doing so.
Pros
free soda/coffee
Cons
everything else.
Great Management and Active Work Environment
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CASeptember 2, 2015
I cannot say enough positive things about the work environment while working for the Blue Lake Rancheria. The team environment is welcoming and supportive. I would recommend working for them to anyone.
Pros
Free continuing training, Good benefits, Supportive leadership
It was working through the sift to keep up with the washing.
DISHWASHER 2006 ā€“ 2010 (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAApril 22, 2015
I learned to use the conveyor belt dishwasher and clean it. I was aloud by management to work my own system in the dishwashing pit. My co-workers would chip in where ever in was not working. The rush at the end of the shift was not easy to finish. The free lunch was the most enjoyable part of the job until it was taken away.
Pros
Lunch ws an hour long and free.
Cons
Lunch was no longer provided and reduced to a half hour. They kept cutting corners.
Supervisor Security
Supervisor Security (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAOctober 20, 2014
As a Supervisor Security at Blue Lake Casino, Iā€™m responsible for a lot of things such as training to new security employees, protect the company asset, write accident reports, review schedules and time cards for accuracies. I also serve customers service and solve issue when occurred.
Fun Workplace!
Cocktail Server (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAOctober 3, 2014
A typical day at work entailed Greeting patrons, taking down food and drink orders, serving food and drinks, cleaning casino floor of any glass wear, emptying ashtrays, cash handling, credit card transactions. This was my first job as a cocktail server so I learned everything there was to know about being a cocktail server, from how to approach a customer to how to count back their change on the spot, and I instantly fell in love with this job. My co-workers for the most part were all friendly and all got along. Their were a couple of girls that would come to work with a bad attitude and were later on weeded out by management. Other then that everyone got along great. The hardest part of the job was taking drink orders and coming back to the patron to then find out they were no longer at their original spot and had either moved tables or slot machines. The most enjoyable part was getting to meet new customers and build good patron relationships. It was a very fun environment to work in and made my job so easy for me.
Pros
Health benefits, free gym membership, discount on hotel rooms
Cons
Short breaks, no discount on food
Always something exciting going on
Players Club Host (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAAugust 23, 2014
I worked at 6am so I dealt with the people who have been there all night and are still likely to be drunk. I loved that if management saw you standing there not doing anything the were on it. Everybody was doing something productive. Always working. I worked with a small group of people everyday it was enjoyable. We were like a family and could depend on each other for anything. The hardest part was when your dealing with peoples money. they have an opinion on what they deserve and what they end up getting. Your yelled at on a daily basis. many complaints. Although when you have to call a supervisor or a manger they are on it t fix or at least make the customer happy. Someone was always there for support. I was the middle man so if I gave them an answer from someone else and they didn't like it I got to hear them complain about it. Thank god for Security
Pros
Always some type of entertainment; great structure
Cons
healthcare and no discounts on anything
Employee Events/ Birthdays
Drop Count Team Member (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CADecember 20, 2013
Up and early at 2:00am get to work by 2:45am start shift at 3:00am drop slots/greet guest until 6:00am then return from break and count revenue until finished between 12-1:00pm. I learned a lot about casinos and how they operate, being a better team leader. All the employees including the managers were all very fun to work with even under stressful situations. My co-workers were a fun bunch. The hardest part of the job were the hours getting up that early was a little tough to get use to. The most enjoyable part was everyday there was always something new to do.
Pros
Good pay, benifits, lunch breaks, good people
Cons
to much cigarette smoke on the casino floor
fun and friendly workplace
Hostess/Cocktail Waitress (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAOctober 16, 2013
I always enjoy going to work because it takes my mind off from home and my mind is focus on helping others. My experience I gained is more customer service, having to remember a list of drinks order and remembering faces. I absolutely love the people I work with, they can turn your frown upside down and that is why i enjoy working there. The hardest part is when events are held and you have to remember a entire list of drinks and remembering who order what. What I loved about my job is that I love meeting new peoples and the friendly co workers.
Pros
discounts on foods
Fun place to work
Security - Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blue Lake, CASeptember 5, 2013
Our mission was to serve our clients entertainment needs. I was part of the security team, but was open to help in any department. I had great co-workers and even better customers. Helping people and making them happy was our goal.
Pros
They provided all meals.
Cons
Smoke in the casino.
Would rather not state.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Blue Lake, CAAugust 26, 2013
I would rather not state anything about my experience working for the casino. There are great parts to it like any job, and also not as great parts. I would not want to post anything to bash the company or cause somebody to believe it's not a desirable place for them to work. Every employees experience will be different as will every department.