Blue Ridge Community and Technical College Employee Reviews

Good place to work.
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 27, 2017
It has been a good place to work despite compensation packages and mangement latter. If you want great work life balance, this is the place for you. Press on!
Great Educational System
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 8, 2017
My responsibilities were preparing and presenting class room instruction in the cyber security program as well as providing teaching in the business classes to train in skills with Microsoft Office. I taught various cyber security courses, including basic network security and wireless security. Work place culture was great. I enjoyed most seeing the look in eye of a student when they learned something new. The most rewarding moment was a student sent me an email, saying that the skills she learned in the Microsoft Office classes helped her get a new job with better pay.
You have to put the college's needs above your own.
Lab Assistant/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVApril 20, 2017
A typical day at work is that you are given a bunch of assignments and no matter how long it is going to take you, you have to get it done that day. What I've learned from this job is that this line of work is what I don't want to be doing for the rest of my life.
Pros
Lunch time
Great Environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVFebruary 13, 2017
Great environment to work in. Excellent communication with advisers. New, clean building to work in. There is room to move around occupationally.
Growing EMS program
Paramedic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVFebruary 10, 2017
Blue Ridge strives to be the best EMS education in the area. Class sizes are manageable. Equipment is top of the line.
It can be difficult when taking on a new class, as there is little direction, however, this gives you the freedom to teach the class however you like.
As this is a community college, students are often directly out of high school, making the student population young.
Compensation is based on your education level and the amount of class hours taught.
Pros
flexible schedule, top of the line equipment, small class sizes
Cons
young student population
Very wonderful and caring staff
Adjunct Clinical Nursing Professor, RN-BC, MSN (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVNovember 9, 2016
The staff is very concerned about the students and work in every way to ensure that they help to create the best nurses possible for the future of health care.
Best Job Ever
STUDENT OFFICE ASSISTANT - HUMAN RESOURCES (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVFebruary 12, 2016
I loved this job with a passion. Every day was a fun adventure even though I was only making copies, faxing, answering phones, and filing paperwork. I couldn't have enjoyed it more. All of the people in the office were welcoming and considerate. I did any work they'd hand me without question. I loved learning how they wanted things filed and to file them, I learned to fax, scan, and type more quickly. They liked me too. When my first semester ended I stayed on and ended up doing summer classes to finish my degree. Once I finished I could no longer hold my position as it was for students. I still wish I could go back and just stay there.
Pros
Long lunches if slow; great co-workers and supervisors;
Cons
Student postion only
Growing, dynamic community college with appropriate challenges including staffing, balance within workforce, and retaining quality educators.
Professional (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVSeptember 20, 2015
Change in this organization seems to be inevitable in many areas. With significant growth, the structure and composition of the organization changes, including but not limited to funding sources and staffing needs. Generally, a good place to work with the usual challenges facing a growing organization.
Pros
Benefits; co-workers; enjoy challenges of new systems, programs, etc.
Cons
Workload excessive in some areas; much less in others
Very positive work environment. As an Intern I was given the opportunity to get the experience I needed before graduation.
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJanuary 7, 2015
I really appreciated the time that was taken by the instructors to teach me what I did not know and reinforce the skills that I learned in my college courses. I worked in a office with seven professors. I managed the reception desk, student inquires and the switchboard. At any given time I was working on grading, updating databases, basic office duties such as emailing and faxing documents, making copies and inventory of supplies and textbooks.
Very Sociable and Get to meet a lot of new people
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVAugust 12, 2014
I assist students struggling in various computer classes. I really enjoy helping others and I love that my job requires me to be social. It has really brought me out of my shyness. I learned how to use Replicon to log my hours and how to log who I tutor using various paperwork. I would say the hardest part of my job would be figuring out the person's learning style and how best to approach the problem. My boss is also the best. She is very understanding and quite helpful.
Pros
Helps me to pay for college, Fulfilling
Cons
Not many hours per week
Bad management!
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  MartinsburgJanuary 7, 2014
The management protects and encourages bullying! If you report it, you experience retaliation. HR will not help you but rather will lie for and protect the bully and his/her mob. Run!
Great Place to Work.
Classified Staff (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVDecember 12, 2013
I love working at Blue Ridge CTC. Of the employers I have worked for Blue Ridge offers competitive pay compared to like organizations and the benefits package is awesome. Coming from a private sector employer to Blue Ridge has shown me what work/life balance truly looks like. Staff and faculty are enjoyable and overall it is a great team environment with all employees focused on building the college.
Pros
Excellent time off policy and exceptional benefits program
I have a better chance in getting a caareer of my choice.
Math Lab Assistant and College Algebra Tutor (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVDecember 11, 2013
I was adapted to all skills needed to go to the next level of the work field in state, Federal, and city jobs. I learned a lot of Liberal arts, Paralegal studies, and Criminal Justice studies.
Pros
It seperated me from being a high school graduate to a college graduate.
Cons
waiting for the next semester to start.
It was fun, interesting and a learning experience.
Peer Tutor,Lab Asst,Grader,Assistant to Instructor (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVNovember 23, 2013
Working for Blue Ridge was fun. I met alot of different people, age ranging from 17-70. There was never a dull day. The days could not be predicted because everyone needed help in different areas. I learned how to manage a schedule and come up with a system to keep track of the students and assignments they needed help with. The hardest part of my job was having to concentrate with all the noise coming from people passing by. I learned while I taught. I learned that everyone has their own thought pattern on how they learn different subjects. I had little or hardly any supervision. There was no training. I had to start from scratch. I was successful. It made me happy to be able to make a difference just by helping students pass difficult classes.
Growing College, Administration Only Worries About Bottom Line
Adjunct Instructor, Developmental English (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 21, 2013
Pay is below average for the area. Administrative bodies interfere with education assessments created by educators. Limited desire to build up departments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Ridge Community and Technical College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5