Blue Shield of California Employee Reviews

awesome
Administrative Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 17, 2017
The company itself is very strong and is heavily involved in multiple industries. The salary could definitely be higher, and the benefits could be better, but I feel that the management team is very strong at the moment, and the office culture is extremely inviting.
Great experience, Lots of chance for advancement
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN AND CLAIMS QUALITY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 13, 2017
What is usually seen in corporate America setting. Provides a chance of advancement and the peers I worked with were great to work with. Someone who is career oriented and concentrated on moving up the corporate ladder will flourish in this environment.
In turmoil still
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 6, 2017
Many big priorities and system migrations that thwart growth. Core group of dedicated individual contributors that keep organization on the move. Fractured leadership with political agenda.
Pros
decent PTO
Cons
lack of transparency from management
good company except for new management
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 2, 2017
professional atmosphere, 90% or so employed there are very hard workers and easy to work with, compensation is not the greatest, too much transition overseas without planning
Good
Provider Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAJuly 1, 2017
Mixed feelings, the perk from working at Blue Shield is that I worked remotely. I thankful I was able to work from home and raise my daughter. thank you
Pros
worked at home
Cons
mangment
workplace
Grievance Appeals Coordinator Intermediate (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAJuly 1, 2017
Not a good place to work always but i guess thy are trying to make it better. the culture for advancement is very little. it is not based on your work ethics.
Fun place to work with a lot of activities for the employes
Claims Specialist/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAJune 26, 2017
I had the pleasure of working for Blue Shield of California from 1989-
2016. Blue Shield supports their employees and is willing to guide them to achieve any goal they chose. I have always loved helping our members and leaving them with the feeling that their issues were taken care of. I learned so much over the years and feel very fortunate to have worked with them.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not having enough representatives to cover the phones properly
fast-paced but rewarding work environment
Senior Designer / Team Lead (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 21, 2017
Blue Shield of California takes healthcare seriously and the amount of effort put into every aspect of marketing and Brand reflect that. Amazing and hard-working employees make employment at BSC an adventure in achievement.
Pros
The people and the culture
Cons
uncommonly strict IT
Very productive, can be very fun in some departments
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAJune 20, 2017
Overall a great place to work. Claims department has changed dramatically. New management came in December 2014 and it has been very hectic ever since.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Weak leadership in claims department
I enjoyed working with the other employees
Privacy Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CAJune 13, 2017
A typical day at work included gap analysis, policy drafting as well as procedure development and Investigations documentation. The hardest part of the job was I ound the documentation software to be quite cumbersome and daunting
Pros
The work was light but fast paced
Cons
The work was light but fast paced
Not a lot of perks but a good place to work.
Technology Business Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAJune 12, 2017
Ethical, not much in the way of freebies. Work hard and many hours. Able to work from home within reason. People are great to work with. Couldn't pick a better location to work at. Facilities are nice. On site cafeteria. Have some fun stuff. Nice walking paths.
Pros
Able to telework
Cons
Not much in the way of perks
fast pace, productive call center
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAJune 7, 2017
Answer phones for customers and health care providers-minumum 65 per day. Helped with benefits and elibility. Made financial adjustments of the claim was processed incorrectly. Answered mail correspondance and appeals.
Pros
continual training, goal focused.
Cons
too far to commute
Production
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAJune 6, 2017
Spent almost 30 years there and was never appreciated. They were trying to go to younger people to bring them in at lower salaries. They did not appreciate the experience that those of us who had been there for years had. Management is a joke. They pretend to have an engagement process, but they don't walk what they talk. Would not recommend working there.
Start and Stop
Sr Director (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAJune 6, 2017
Too many priorities that its common to start on one project and never complete it due to constant re-priorioritization. Leaders are too concerned with looking good that they forget to care for the work of their employees. Innovation is not favored.
Pros
Pay and Benefits; location
Cons
Bureaucratic, very poor HR team
It used to be a good place to work
Provider Appeals Coordinator (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAMay 25, 2017
For a long stretch of time, it was one of he best jobs I ever had. Then they laid off half the department and bean asking other duties of the remaining employees, pulling many people out of their comfort zones, and causing several good employees to leave of their own volition.
Pros
Telecommuting, pay scale.
Cons
Cost of health insurance (ironic), management unresponsive to employee concerns
strong team environment and supervisors
Health Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAMay 19, 2017
Compensation varied significantly throughout the years. Very fast paced environment especially during open enrollment. I learned that I can adapt to just about any environment and succeed. I enjoy talking to people and assisting them choose the right plan for their family. Received constant feedback I always do "the right thing" for our customers. The most challenging part of the job was adapting to all the new rules and regulations of the Affordable Health Care Act. The most rewarding part was my customers gratitude for taking them through difficult process like Health Insurance in an efficient but easy to understand manner.
a regular day
Medicare Operations Installation and Billing Dept (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMay 19, 2017
When i was in this company at the time the company itself was a good company due to the benefits and compensations given by the company. The management in the departments were not good due to lack of communication and lack of professionalism.
Great company to work for
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAMay 16, 2017
I have no complaints about Blue Shield of California. It is a great company to work for with great leadership. I was able to work with P&L, claims, corporate recovery, customer service, etc. during my time there. The management trainee program is great for recent college graduates and I would highly recommend the program for anyone looking to get into health insurance as the knowledge gained during the year as an MT will give you a fast-track to higher positions within the company.
Do Not Work Here
Pharmacy Help Desk Prior Authorizations Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 15, 2017
The company does not appreciate good hard workers. There is always someone out there that they can hire for cheaper. They do not allow for a positive culture or atmosphere. Anyone promoting a positive workplace is removed.
good place
Blue Shield of CA. Partner (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAMay 12, 2017
BSC was a good place to work great benefits great people pay was ok bonuses were not fair for the work that was done the people were the best part of this job like family
benefits
Cons
some bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Shield of California. Our community is ready to answer.