Blue Shield Of California

Blue Shield Of California Employer Reviews

Good pay, no promotions
Pharmacy Services Representative (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: m-f with weekends and holidays off
Cons: no management support
Hours are great and pay is above standard.
Management is disconnected from employees and does not understand the needs of the department.
After years of above average work and tons of volunteering for special projects and overtime was let go because new manager "didn't think I could fit in with the directions I'm taking this department" on the last – more... Friday for the year at 4:00pm. – less
Think Twice before working here
Medicare Operations (Former Employee), Woodland Hills, CAFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor management, low morale, low pay, low raises, poor work environment and lack of support from management
I must say I had the worst job experience of my career was at Blue Shield of California. I'm not going to write a long explanation, but I will put it like this: Management is extremely poor and they are quick to point out all of your wrongdoings without adequate training and not providing sufficient staffing. Work piles up and also distributed unevenly – more... but you are still expected to have little or no errors. I'm all for taking responsibility, but Management never takes responsibility.

I've never reviewed previous jobs because I left with no negative feelings. So, if you are applying for a job here, I strongly advise keeping your options open before accepting any offers. They will make you feel part of the team in the beginning but that quickly diminishes where you will feel powerless and ignored. – less
A Great Place To Work
Senior Customer Operations/ Claim Rep (Former Employee), Lodi, CAJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: cafe onsite
Cons: n/a
Job Culture, Job Secruity, A great place to work,I am a team player working hard to secure a position that offers room for personal and professional development and growth. I desire to become part of a strong team environment which will allow me to grow and add to the knowledge of the company.
Challenged
Clinical support (Former Employee), El Dorado HillsJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: great employees and job security
Cons: poor health coverage and management that does not support their people
For a health insurance company you would think that the employees would be offered good health insurance. However Blue Shield have forced many of their employees into one plan and no consideration for what impact it would have. Many employees had sutter doctors and they were forced into the Mercy health system and there were not enough providers and – more... they quality of care was way down. – less
Senior - Clinical Support Coordinator (Current Employee), El Dorado Hills, CAJanuary 27, 2014
My typical work day starts at 8 o'clock in the morning. I currently process piror authorizations for inpatient / and outpatient services. I have learned a lot about health care benefits PPO/HMO/EPO/ASO etc. Also how to process authorizations in a timely manor.
One big happy family
Claims Research Representative (Former Employee), el dorado hills, caJanuary 16, 2014
Its important to have a positive outlook in order for a productive work place. Creating a friendly and professional environment is paramount to a productive business. Being a team player is thus very important ,I am always there to help my co workers when they need help. Blue Shield was one such work place where everyone helped and got along with everyone.
I was a Business Analyst for the Sales Department
Plan Design Analyst (Former Employee), El Dorado Hills, CAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: flexable hours, working from home.
Cons: work life balance
My most recent position with Blue Shield was in the sales department. This position was a fast pace position. The position required many hours of extra time.

My day was composed of creating benefits for each individual group. Advising sales of the legalities of medical benefits. This was a cross functional job working with legal, benefit programming, – more... benefit implementation.

This position was a multi faceted job, very busy but very rewarding, especially when our sales area won the business that we had worked as a team to win.

I found that I had wonderful co-workers and we all had common goals. We genuinely cared about our work and the company we worked for.

***There is a glitch in the rating tool above. I wanted to rate Blue Shield with 5 stars for the over all rating, but it would only allow me to rate it with 1 star. – less
Great Work-Life Balance and job advancement
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), El Dorado Hills, CADecember 31, 2013
Can require long hours but the management truly appreciates the work.
Lots of opportunity for advancement
Trainer/Senior Trainer (Former Employee), El Dorado Hills, CADecember 31, 2013
In the 13 years I was at Blue Shield of CA, I had several opportunities to advance. We had fun team meetings each month and yearly team building workshops that were always informative.
Management changed several times in my years at Blue Shield but for the most part they were all reasonable to work with.
The hardest part of being a trainer was having – more... all of the material ready for a class and then having it delayed for an uncertain amount of time. It is understandable and I would work on course ware until informed of the start date.
The most enjoyable part was working with the new hires. I loved the challenge of teaching and watching the concepts come to life in my trainees. – less
Very good and exciting company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Lodi, CaDecember 20, 2013
Pros: the company showed appreciation to the representatives and great benefits
Cons: lunches not long enough
A typical day at Blue Shield of CA is mainly handling a high volume of calls and production work as needed.

I learned new software, different lines of business and a call strategy to assist the customer and make them feel like their issues were resolved.

The management was great. There were very helpful, motivating and fun.

The hardest part of the – more... job was sometimes not being able to resolve the member's issue on the first call.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to provide quality customer service to the members. – less
Currently experiencing positive culture shift and transformation
Vendor Management Specialist (Current Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 16, 2013
Over the past 3 years, Blue Shield of California has made significant strides to improve the overall culture of the company and transform it into a market leading organization. However, outdated systems negate productivity and create strains throughout the organization causing many inefficiencies.
not worth it
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 14, 2013
see above if you dont care about people and like commuting for hours a day and being told 8 hours a day how everything you do is wrong then go work there
Member focus on quality and satisfaction
Lead Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), El Dorado Hills, CADecember 12, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: finding a balance with member satisfation and company goals.
A typical day at work is member focus on retention, satisfaction, resolution for calls received. I learned that a lengthy call does not mean a good call. Offering exceptional soft skills with timely resolution. Management was undergoing change and the effect on the call center was dealt with minimal employee impact. For the most part the call center – more... was a family who provided an atmosphere for working together and working together to create fun, satisfaction and everyone working towards the greater goal of meeting expectations. The most enjoyable part of the job was in creating member satisfaction. – less
A great comany
Customer (Current Employee), Lodi, CADecember 4, 2013
This company is great ot work for, they spend a lot of time and money training the employees
good leadership
director (Former Employee), san franciscoNovember 20, 2013
Pros: salary
Cons: work/life balance
Hard working group of folks with excellent leadership. a typical day at work involved many things
Appeals and Grievance Department
Senior Appeals and Grievances Coordinator (Current Employee), Woodland Hills, CANovember 14, 2013
Pros: flexable schedule
Cons: management
Poor Management, and supervisor who do not know the product.
Great company with decent health benefits.
Senior Provider Dispute Resolution Coordinator (Former Employee), El Dorado Hills, CANovember 4, 2013
Pros: great benefits, excellent team support.
Cons: gossiping employees.
I worked at Blue Shield of California for five years. During that time I learned a lot about the world of health insurance. I worked directly with multiple departments within the company, as well as medical groups and physicians. For the most part my co-workers were great. As with any job, some employees put more energy into gossiping rather than working. – more... The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily challenge. There was always something different and complex about the cases or projects I worked on. – less
I totally agree with the hostile work environment poster in EDH - were you in Provider Services?
Provider Services Operations Processor (Former Employee), El Dorado HillsOctober 30, 2013
Pros: weight watchers at work, gym on campus
Cons: management, little to no raises, no advancement
I couldn't agree more with this person. Zero room for advancement and the supervisors play favorites. They only advance the employees that brown nose. I worked so hard and had nothing to show for it as far as being promoted. There are a lot of bad office politics and the previous poster was right about creating teams to fix problems. Nobody knows what – more... they are doing. You can't go to leads for help because they don't know what they are doing either and the supervisors don't have the slightest clue. At Blue Shield, the only way you will survive is if you like to brown nose, no joke. It is disgusting. They have a very poor merit increase (raise) system where you have to fill out this packet and answer tons of questions of how you tried to make the company better. I always dreaded when that time came. I never received even a 25 cent raise. They pile and pile and pile work on you and expect you to do it with little to no direction or training. The computer system is always having problems. I really can't say too many positive things about the company at all. Some of my co-workers were ok but in the end, everyone was miserable. Some just hid it better than others. The training is awful and the auditing process is not fair. What will be incorrect one day will be correct the next, it just depends on who is auditing your work and what kind of a mood they are in on any given day. They have way too many meetings that don't accomplish anything but making you get further behind on your work. I could go on all day but I think you get the idea. No bueno. – less
Hostile work environment
Employee (Current Employee), El Dorado Hills, CAOctober 23, 2013
I have been here for a decade, and it is a miserable place to work. Management tries to improve things with special "teams" to work on the issues, but these projects always fall apart. I was on one of the "teams" last year, and we stopped meeting. The problems we were trying to resolve are still there, but they are not being worked on anymore.

Supervisors – more... have favorites, and do not handle issues. There is a no retaliation policy if you report these issues, but I know of two people who reported problems. One person was terminated, and the other person was called into a one on one meeting with the supervisor that was reported and lectured on back stabbing. It is a miserable place to work.

Equipment does not function (printers, computers, the network, etc).

Also, despite the fact that it is an insurance company, you have to pay for your medical/dental/vision coverage. I understand paying to cover my spouse and children, but having to pay for my own coverage is crazy.

On a positive note, the pay is decent. – less
Build great friends and family
Install Processor (Former Employee), Lodi, CAOctober 10, 2013
Pros: long term workers
Cons: position transferred over sea, so man employee were laid off, position came back to the state but repeated itself transferred and laid off every year.
People that I work with were great. its a family work environment..

About Blue Shield Of California

Blue Shield of California, an independent member of the Blue Shield Association, is a not-for-profit health plan dedicated to – Read more

Blue Shield Of California Photos