Blue Shield Of California

Blue Shield Of California Employer Reviews

Fun place to work
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), El Dorado Hills, CASeptember 19, 2014
Great environment
good co-workers
great benefits
lots of learning potential
Every dept. is different, so maybe other depts offer better experiences...
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: some very nice co-workers.
Cons: some not so nice managers.
If you are looking for advancement and experiential growth, I would not recommend working for this organization unless you have a strong network relationship with someone with influence that will support you in your efforts. Mine was a pretty bad experience.
I&B Electronic Enrollment (Current Employee), El Dorado Hills, CAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule/benefits
Cons: short lunches
My typical day consists of:
Review of large group health plans
Member eligibility
Enrollments for new hires
Fixing discrepancies
Billing
Training

Blue Shield has excellent management with an open door policy. Very supportive in every way. I have a tremendous relationship with my co-workers and we are a very close knit unit.

The hardest part of my job is completing my tasks and duties when the systems malfunction. In my position I am required to know all facets of the Blue Shield business, which can be challenging.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the camaraderie that I share with my co-workers and the tremendous responsibility that is placed on me. I value being relied upon by so many people for their health benefits and the knowledge that I have gained.
Enjoyed working for BSC from beginning to retirement.
Lead Representative to present (Former Employee), Chico, CAAugust 20, 2014
Overall I learned all about the process of a claim from beginning to end when a claim is submitted for payment, etc. As shown in my resume. My supervisor was the best and the co-workers were a fantastic group to work with. I loved my job - I learned something new everyday. And whenever new processors were submitted to me i dug in and learned it from A to Z. Being a lead rep it was important to know the task in order to teach others. Best part was being admired by my peers.
This was my favorite employer ever
Customer Service Rep, IFP (Former Employee), Lodi, CAAugust 5, 2014
I have never enjoyed a job more than my job at Blue Shield. I was so heartbroken when I had to leave that on my last day it took me over two hours to make what was usually a ten minute drive home because I was crying so hard I couldn't see and I kept having to pull over. I absolutely recommend this employer to ANYONE.
Excellent team, management style.
STAFF TRAINER (Former Employee), Richmond, CAAugust 4, 2014
Pros: great working environment
Cons: acquisition
Acquisition was the downfall. Company unable to relocate employees to parent company in Germany.
was a good company to work for
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), Lodi, CAAugust 3, 2014
I liked working for blue shield. A lot of friendly people that were very welcoming and helpful. I learned a lot while there. this is a very fast paced kind of company and they are big on production.
Its a constant work in progress
Senior Marketing Strategist (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 31, 2014
Pros: periodic team activities
Cons: lots of complexity
Blue Shield can be an overly complex place to work. You'll enjoy your colleagues and the camaraderie that you'll establish. The management is a work in progress there vision is not always clear, but they are trying to improve morale.
SENIOR MANAGER OF BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 5, 2014
I worked at BSC for 35+ years. Good place to work, Great people...
Acceptable work environment
Lead Project Manager (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAJune 25, 2014
Blue Shield has acceptable work environment and mostly friendly colleagues.
Some good some bad
Self Funded Plan Design Analyst (Current Employee), El Dorado Hills, CAJune 22, 2014
Pros: good benefits, great coworkers
Cons: certain departments can make the job miserable
Some of the best people I have ever worked with, work/life balance depends on the department, lots of changes often, sometimes slow on responding to required changes, can be a toxic environment depending on management.
great training process
FEP Claims Processor (Former Employee), Redding, CAJune 9, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule, you can come in early and get off early too!
Cons: short lunch
Working with Blue Shield of California was a very enjoyable experience and I was pleased I was able to be an employee with this company.
A very productive and caring organization
Clinical Appeals and Grievances Supervisor (Former Employee), Woodland Hills, CAJune 2, 2014
Pros: flex time
Cons: over time is always a requirement.
Family oriented atmosphere and very caring about their members. Blue Shield is a great place to work at, and where employees are able to feel at home.
great company
Full Service Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Stockton, CAMay 27, 2014
Customer Care representative in charge of daily interaction assisting customers with benefits and eligibility.
• Assisting members and providers with benefits and eligibility.
• Researched HMO claims history.
• Thoroughly research member’s plan for eligible issues.
• Navigate various applications for providing assistance with authorizations and referrals
• Processing Kaiser request for assignment
• Assist customers in the office as well as on the phone
Administrative Assistant
Sales Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 21, 2014
long and challenging hours

staff is nice to work with. Management is nice.

enjoyed speaking with clients over the phone and helping them and their families seek immediate attention with our participating doctors.

enjoyed speaking and helping our brokers with new group rates and renewal rates and preparing documents and reports for brokers.
Very Productive place to work. State of the Art Facility.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), El Dorado Hills, CAApril 17, 2014
Pros: free coffee and donuts in the morning, and fitness center.
Cons: management expected you to know everything from the training period. overload!
Getting to my desk clocking in for the day, going to the Employee Hospitality Room to get coffee and maybe a Danish. Ready to start taking calls. I would handle 80 to 100 inbound calls Statewide a day. I learned a lot about Health Insurance, the cost, coverage, non coverage, HMO, PPO, what happens to your Policy if you loose your job, and how to get past Pre-Existing Conditions. Management at Blue Shield of California was not enough hands on in my opinion, it seemed that management expected you to know everything from the training period, and that made it difficult. It added pressure to perform certain task. Co-workers, were very friendly, and helped one another the best that they could. The hardest part of the job, was trying to be objective with a Policy Holder, that had to make a double payment to be Reinstated. They enjoyable part of this job was all the perks for working in this State of The Art Facility. The free coffee, and donuts in the morning, the beautiful cafeteria with great food, and a Fitness Center to work out.
Healthcare Company in Change Process
anonymous (Current Employee), El Dorado HillsApril 16, 2014
BSC is a typical traditional healthcare company with the expected quirks. Overall, people are really great here. There are your political agendas, but that exists everywhere.

BSC is undergoing massive change and will eventually settle down. Hopefully, it will be the better for it as some things have been rather siloed and not quite seamless.

They do want to attract top talent so they are undergoing Great Place to Work adjustments at this time. May be worth sticking around for...

My area has been great, so I think where you are and who you work for also factors into your experience.
Fast paced environment
AP Analyst Lead / Accountant Intermediate (Current Employee), CAApril 10, 2014
Manage and handle multiple task daily. Provide great customer service internally and externally. Adapting daily to constant changes and challenges. Management is approachable. Hardest thing about position is I have a passion for learning new task but not provided many opportunities to show my worth. Best part of position is we are allowed to telecommute periodically.
good pay and benefits
Producers Services Representative (Former Employee), Lodi, CAMarch 27, 2014
call center environment. daily duties repetitive but every call brings new challenge.
Culture change
Customer Service and PERS Enrollment Supervisor (Former Employee), El Dorado Hills, CAMarch 20, 2014
Great pay and advancement. When moved to EDH, culture changed. Old management replaced.

About Blue Shield Of California

Blue Shield of California, an independent member of the Blue Shield Association, is a not-for-profit health plan dedicated to – Read more

Blue Shield Of California Photos