Blue Shield Of California Employee Reviews

Blue Shield
Buiness Processor (Current Employee) –  SacramentoOctober 20, 2015
I loved working for blue shield, my supervisors and trainers were amazing, very helpful. The company is an amazing company growing and takes care of there employees
The day in the life of a health coach
Health Coach / Clinical Educator (Current Employee) –  El Dorado HillsOctober 20, 2015
Most days are spent talking with members who have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, diabetes, hypertension, etc. Discussions may include learning how to count carbs, learning how to eat a meal balanced with protein and carbs; weight loss information; and exercise/activity information for diabetics.

As a health coach I work to inspire, motivate and help my clients create a lifestyle of making healthy choices. I view my role as a health coach as one who helps clients/members to identify and achieve their goals and overcome barriers.
Company is ambitious and in the middle of transformation
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 17, 2015
Leaders cannot easily know when people are merely great in managing up; rather, they reward them with opportunities and question the people who raises this observation to leaders. Leadership time is focused not in honing in on the positive aspect of one's work but rather, on the negative/constructive aspect.Demoralizing words are easily released as reprimand for outcomes not meeting standards, with lack of sensitivity on employee challenges and on the supposedly learning environment that are building. Executives tasked in interpreting and executing strategies are not agreeing with each other, so people in the organization will feel this tug-of-war especially as the matrix organization grows. If you can find another place to work for that has a better culture, please do so. However, if you are aiming for a Director, VP, SVP position, this company pays high, relocates people, and benefits are great for this level. Lots of expectation on you and you will have to deal with difficult people and with high pressure, and demoralizing words at times, but you will be very well compensated and this becomes worth it financially. For managers and below, pay is still good compared to competitors but eventually you will feel that the work, pressure, expectations on your shoulder is not worth it. Directors and above can tolerate it because they are paid very well, and provided with significant pay and benefits and professional/personal investment not offered to the rest of the organization.
Pros
Career opportunities in the midst of transformation, high pay and great benefits for directors and above that allows tolerance for high expectations
Cons
Inequality of treatment, Blind to people who manages up well, and low tolerance for people who are just learning
18 Plus years says it all
Administrative Sales Assistant - Large Group Sales (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAOctober 15, 2015
I already noted on previous review for same company. I enjoyed 18plus years of service. Team members always support each other. I have had a number of family emergencies, and management was always supportive. This is a rarity with a lot of companies. There is a family environment, several people run into a childcare issue and management was good with bringing their children into work if need be.
Pros
professional team members in the office.
Cons
Productive and structured call center
Customer Service Rep- Member Services (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAOctober 14, 2015
A typical day at work were talking back to back inbound calls helping members with ordering id cards, establishing eligibility and benefits, processing and reprocessing claims. The most enjoyable part of the job were the onsite Cafeteria that catered everyone needs and an onsite workout facility that was free to all that were employed with the company. Never a boring moment.
Great start to a career/knowledge of Healthcare and Policies
Senior Provider Appeals Processor (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAOctober 11, 2015
As one of the larger corporate companies that I have had the opportunity to work for, Blue Shield offered me the chance to learn the process of insurance claims, provider services, and business with the Health Insurance industry.

I was able to assist in solving inventory, provider contractual issues, and amended processing of insurance claims.

One of the better perks of the job was the flexible work hours which allowed me to maintain a work/life balance to suit my needs.

I am very thankful for the opportunity to manage inventory, sort out the policy and process questions related to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, and training and teaching employees across multiple departments on the requirements for claims processing and provider relations.
Great place to work.
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CASeptember 28, 2015
My experience at DMHC was phenomenal. I enjoyed my work everyday and was able to produce great result. My work and personal life was very balanced. Got an opportunity to learn new tools, techniques, business rules, strategies etc.
Moderate
Producer Services Rep (Current Employee) –  Redding, CASeptember 18, 2015
The training for BSC is moderate. The management seems fair.
Trying to move to different departments is difficult, they want you to stay where you are trained, which I do understand, however, I am looking to be back in data entry where I am very successful and have a lot of expertise.
Pros
Great fellow co-workers
Cons
Not where I what I want to be doing, I want to be back in data entry and possible leadership
Great place to work.
Business System Analyst (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CASeptember 17, 2015
I have had a great time at Blue Shield of California. My work day was always fun and exciting. I am honored to work in such a great place where I got to learn lots of skills in business management and technology.
Promotional opportunities
Senior CPC Representative (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CASeptember 16, 2015
Company provides an abundant amount of promotional opportunities providing the opportunity for advancement. Fosters an environment of "The Sky's the Limit".
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
nothing
It was great when the whole team would get together and have a potluck
Direct Sales Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CASeptember 14, 2015
My main objective was to provider assistance to the Sales Agents in the Sales Department. I took application over the phone for member's that wanted to roll their Medicare benefits over to be handled by Blue Shield/Blue Cross. I also scheduled appointment for potential members to sit in on presentations being given by representatives on how benefits will work.
I had a great Management team to work with. Great dependable co-workers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when we as a team enrolled many new member's to now become part of vast growing team of reliable medical health coverage.
Pros
I liked the fact that Administration would walk and give snack
Cons
really there were no cons
Comments about job
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CASeptember 10, 2015
Researched and adjudicated claims for the General Suspense Team.
Made phone calls to providers in order to adjudicate claims. Submit documentation in order to request refunds. Great working environment for being able to dress casual. The hardest part of the job was getting used to sitting for extended amounts of time. The most enjoyable for me was when I was able to work from home. Blue Shield provided all the equipment for me to work from home.
Pros
Telecommuting. Casual dress
Cons
Having to learn to work HMO claims
Work Life Balance - Great Management
Project Manager (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAAugust 26, 2015
Typical Day requires hitting the ground running and being able to juggle in a fast-paced environment with heavy workload.
Learned substantial amount about all areas
Mostly positive regarding co-workings
Pros
Remote work, meetings by WebEx
Cons
short- to no breaks, working as much as needed to get the job done
Productive fun place to work
Claims Rep (Current Employee) –  El Derado Hills CaAugust 26, 2015
Great place to work. Looking forward to hopefully become perm employee. Growing company with lots of work to be done.

Has a 2 compasses and they know how to take care of there employees.
Socially Responsible Company
Small Group Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAAugust 11, 2015
Great place to learn/develop skills. Management not really open as they say, received good severance pay after almost 25 years working for them, however had no warning my job was no longer needed. Lost it with no notice along with 10 other co-workers. They kept only new employees with lower salaries.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
salaried with long hours
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 23, 2015
The company was very involved with making sure employees had an enjoyable work environment and performed regular work reviews.
Nice people and nice culture
Concierge CSR (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, CAJuly 20, 2015
Typically everyone is happy everyday. Managment gives us updates that go with the day to day work. Their is a lot you can learn everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job was talk with my co-workers
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Short lunches
A decent place to work but not for everybody
Intermediate Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 16, 2015
This is a decent company to work for you would not want to be here forever but if you want to make money before moving on to better opportunities this is a decent place to start.
Pros
Work from home
High expectations but fun place to work.
Concierge Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAJuly 8, 2015
I love working for Blue Shield. From my understanding, other call centers in my area compensate their employees much better. I recently bought a home, got married and had our first child. My current wages will not allow my family and I to expand. I want to stay in the same field, the same career path but believe higher compensation is deserved and needed. I truly wish Blue Shield could compensate a little higher because then this would be my home away from home forever...guarenteed. It still may because the company is that great to work for.
Pros
Great environment, prizes for hard work/results
Great Work Place!
Business System Analyst/Migration Build (Current Employee) –  El Dorado, CAJuly 7, 2015
Great Company!

Not only are my Coworkers nice, I have the ability to climb the ladder quickly.My manager is an intelligent and fair person, that I don't mind working for!
Pros
Management is fair
Cons
Long commute to work.