BLUE VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Controlled Chaos in the Lunchrrom
Lunchroom Monitor (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 21, 2015
Pros: I get to see the kids daily, watching them grow and learn!
Cons: I just wish it was a full-time position such as, working as a para elsewhere in building or school district.
I love my job! I consider each of the children as mine, and I'm just as concerned about them as my own, if they were to be hurt (physically, emotionally, psychologically). Typical day is monitoring the lunchroom during the various grade's lunch's....telling kids "keep your hands/feet to yourself; use your manners; make good choices; be respectful of your classmates; etc.
Consitently busy, but not exhausting (most days) and laid back work enviroment
Assistant Lead Custodian (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 14, 2015
Pros: I get to be involved with a lot of different people, health care for the employee is free, and I'm fully vested after 5yrs
Cons: Health care for family is extremely costly, low pay compared to other school districts and cleaning up bodily fluids
I enjoy working with people and making customers smile. This job provides me with that opportunity on a daily basis. A typical day consist of me changing trash, vacuuming floors, cleaning restrooms, and wiping down tables. A slightly non typical day would include doing some form of event setup ex. (graduations or sporting events), which for me are part of what make this job fun. It's not the actual physical labor portion of it, but the people interactions that I enjoy the most.

The management staff here is not the best I've experienced but they aren't that bad overall. They encourage open communication but lack a bit in the discipline consistency area from what I've seen.

The only time this job gets to be difficult is if we are short staffed, or is the school has multiple events being hosted at once. It can be a bit straining trying to meet everyone's needs while still trying to get daily cleaning done.

I have learned to use a lot of the latest cleaning equipment and tools that aren't available to many districts, as well as some different cleaning techniques which is really cool.

Overall it's not a bad job or place to work for, I just wish the pay was a bit more competitive and the health insurance a lot less expensive for carrying family.
Excellent work enviroment , very stable and awesome benefits!
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee), Blue Valley School District 229May 12, 2015
Pros: Lots of overtime availible, great benefits
Blue Valley School District has a great team working environment. Supporting staff and Teaching staff are great to work with and to work for. The benefits package has everything you could want or need as far as benefits. Lots of chances to work overtime and extra permits. You get a state retirement that's guarantied , no wondering if you lost money in your retirement account. Earn two weeks of vacation a year and with longevity have a chance to up to 4 weeks. Advancement opportunities available. Job security is great, I always know I am getting 40hrs a week. All the above is great to have in a job, but the most rewarding aspect is watching the kids learn and grow.
Addressing Varied service tickets throught the day
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSAugust 13, 2014
Pros: the staff, students, and tss workers
Cons: hodge podge management
I helped chart the technology changes with the School administration. Did break-fix troubleshooting, ordered and replaced parts as needed on both desktop and laptops. Troubleshooting on network connections and repaired anywhere from the switch in the closet to the computer. Maintained the network closet and the A/V connection from the projection system to the computer. Also handled the repair and/or replacement of networked printers and the digital document projectors as well.

What I learned is you can never ask enough questions or the same one several different ways to find out what the problem was and when it happens or started.I enjoyed my job so much, I found few things difficult except for when management changed their minds in the middle of a project which happened frequently. What I learned was to be a good listener and to be flexible.
good place
Para-Educator (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJuly 10, 2014
Pros: nice scenery with certain teachers
Cons: bratty kids
Everyone is really great there. It was a fantastic place to work. All the teachers and students were amazing.
Enjoyable place to work
Assist students (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: helping high school students
Cons: room for advancement
I work in general education classes as well as one on one with students that need extra support in classes. I help teachers in their classrooms by being extra support for all the kids, not just those with special needs, in their class. I help students remain organized and on task with assignments and study for exams. The hardest part is when I am met with resistance from students, I then find a way to negotiate with the student to show them the benefit of what I am trying to help them achieve. The most enjoyable part is when I see a high school kid get excited about how well they did on a test or when or student has a problem and they know that I will listen to them.
Great kids, good benefits, but some staff issues
Educator (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSAugust 6, 2013
Pros: good benefits, great students
Cons: working lunches, some staff members
I worked as a para in the Blue Valley school district. My students were wonderful, as were many of my coworkers. Some of the regular ed students were a little disrespectful of the adults in the school but were, for the most part, good kids. I ran into some difficulty with a small minority of the staff. I was asked to do some things by superiors that went against my training by the school district (and that frankly made me uncomfortable). When I tried to voice my concerns for my students' well being and the potential conflicts between what I was taught by the district and what I was asked to do, I received zero support from the administration. I chose to leave the school district because of the conflict in values. However, the vast majority of my time at Blue Valley was wonderful and I would still recommend the school district for most potential employees.
Christmas dinners
Custodant (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 28, 2013
Pros: christmas dinners
Cons: no job security
To offer cell phone and home phone service to clients with ssi and snap and low income..
Development of elementary-aged youth as well as staff
2nd and 3rd Grade Elementary Teacher (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMarch 6, 2013
Pros: summers and holidays off
Cons: no compensation for longer hours working 50-60 hours per week
We have to multitask daily. I had to plan lessons, input data, communicate and build an online website. On the leadership team we had to create days for staff development where teachers learned about technology, writing, and reading. I love to help children, and our staff had a sense of community to help others. I learned the outside of my day-to-day skills was to build websites and to work on a team. Working on a team is essential to improve the needs of your job. Building a website was a wonderful communication source for parents and staff.
Can be an enjoyable work place but high stress
Admin. Assistant (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSSeptember 25, 2012
Co-workers were great - loved what I did. Did not have near enough staff/training to provide the kind of service required by the employer.
job coach
Job Coach - Light Industry Enterprises (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJuly 10, 2012
Pros: the students and their growth and health insurance
Cons: wages
I currently hold the position of Job Coach in an Enterprise called Light Industry. This is a pre-vocational setting where we work with juniors and seniors in high school who have IEP's (Indvidiualized Education Plans).

We teach job skills, which include time on task, appropriate work behaviors, and appropriate social skills.

This job involves creating jobs for the students and working on selling products that the students make on site. We also fulfill orders for collating, shredding and die cutting.
Stressful work environment
Custodian (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMarch 8, 2012
Pros: front office and teaching staffs are friendly
Cons: lack of communication between departments
Working here is ok, but there is a great need for improving communication. It takes forever to get information from supervisors. Things seem to run at a slow pace and it gets in the way of doing your job.
Fun Workplace with any staff.
Special Education Job Coach (Former Employee), Blue Valley Access HouseDecember 1, 2011
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: no job advancements in that position
Blue Valley School District is the place where they provide the best benefits and compensation that will covers you for years and years. Most staff who I worked with are very friendly, willing to work with what you need and help you find what you need to do with students.