BLUE VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Para Educator
Para Educator - Special Education (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 5, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the students progress in their goals! The students have IEP goals to reach. When they accomplish the goal I love watching their reaction. I am so proud and excited for them!
Pros
I love being around kids
Cons
not enough hours
Not a good place to work.
Lead Custodian (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 16, 2017
Job involved cleaning of schools late at night. Facilities were poorly kept. All cooling was turnred off in summer making for a very hot work place. Training of workers was a lacking. Pay was bad and worker turn over very high.
Custodian
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 5, 2017
The position of a Custodian is not a glamour job but is necessary to ensure the health and cleanliness of the buildings utilized by the public.
Stable work routine
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 22, 2016
This job was very much, show up and do the same thing every day. It was easy to remember everything, your hours are always the same and things don't really change once you're there. Teachers are honest about how they do or don't like the job you're doing.
poor management upper management
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 18, 2016
unrealistic goals, short staffed, treated like working around hs girls makes you a perv. talked down to ex told you eat out of the trash. high turnover leads to picking up more work then they wonder why you don't have spotless areas. expected to do grounds work in winter and shovel complete outside sidewalks around whole school. raises barely kept up with increases in insurance cost.
Pros
some nice co workers
Cons
most everything
Para Professional
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 9, 2016
Excellent place to work. The people are great. Wonderful work environment. Nice having summer's off and holidays. While it is nice to have the time off you will need to look for summer work.
Great Starter Job
Para-Professional (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 29, 2015
It was a great place to work, the owner was super nice and helpful as well as very understanding when stuff came up and I wasn't able to make it in to work.
The staff at my school is great to work with,I like that the job is physical, and like to be around the kids.
Day Custodian in a elementary school (Current Employee) –  Overland Park KSJuly 2, 2015
A typical day is I come in turn off alarm and open the building and put flags up and put out cross walk sign. We have YMCA in our building so I make sue tables are clean and the floor also. I sweep the gym and clean the staff restrooms and the music room and clean the lunchroom restrooms after school has started. I then make sure all outer doors are secured and clean front entrance and office windows if needed. I then set up my lunchroom which consists of setting out tables and getting stuff for cleaning the tables for lunch ready. I then take a lunch break right before lunch starts. I check restrooms during lunch and sweep in between lunches and clean tables and then take trash out. We have three lunch shifts at my school which take about 2 hours. When lunch is over I clean all tables and put them away and sweep the floor and run automatic scrubber over the floor and mop the areas a can't reach with scrubber. I take out all trash including the kitchen trash and all boxes and I also do this during lunch also. I then mop the kitchen and I also check the perimeter doors again after lunch is over to make sure building is secure. I take care of anything the office needs me to through out the day also like vomit and blood on anything or restroom clean ups.
Pros
I like this job because its very physical, and the benifits are good.
Cons
doesn't pay enough for the job expectations.
Controlled Chaos in the Lunchrrom
Lunchroom Monitor (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 21, 2015
I love my job! I consider each of the children as mine, and I'm just as concerned about them as my own, if they were to be hurt (physically, emotionally, psychologically). Typical day is monitoring the lunchroom during the various grade's lunch's....telling kids "keep your hands/feet to yourself; use your manners; make good choices; be respectful of your classmates; etc.
Pros
I get to see the kids daily, watching them grow and learn!
Cons
I just wish it was a full-time position such as, working as a para elsewhere in building or school district.
Consitently busy, but not exhausting (most days) and laid back work enviroment
Assistant Lead Custodian (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 14, 2015
I enjoy working with people and making customers smile. This job provides me with that opportunity on a daily basis. A typical day consist of me changing trash, vacuuming floors, cleaning restrooms, and wiping down tables. A slightly non typical day would include doing some form of event setup ex. (graduations or sporting events), which for me are part of what make this job fun. It's not the actual physical labor portion of it, but the people interactions that I enjoy the most.

The management staff here is not the best I've experienced but they aren't that bad overall. They encourage open communication but lack a bit in the discipline consistency area from what I've seen.

The only time this job gets to be difficult is if we are short staffed, or is the school has multiple events being hosted at once. It can be a bit straining trying to meet everyone's needs while still trying to get daily cleaning done.

I have learned to use a lot of the latest cleaning equipment and tools that aren't available to many districts, as well as some different cleaning techniques which is really cool.

Overall it's not a bad job or place to work for, I just wish the pay was a bit more competitive and the health insurance a lot less expensive for carrying family.
Pros
I get to be involved with a lot of different people, health care for the employee is free, and I'm fully vested after 5yrs
Cons
Health care for family is extremely costly, low pay compared to other school districts and cleaning up bodily fluids
Excellent work enviroment , very stable and awesome benefits!
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blue Valley School District 229May 12, 2015
Blue Valley School District has a great team working environment. Supporting staff and Teaching staff are great to work with and to work for. The benefits package has everything you could want or need as far as benefits. Lots of chances to work overtime and extra permits. You get a state retirement that's guarantied , no wondering if you lost money in your retirement account. Earn two weeks of vacation a year and with longevity have a chance to up to 4 weeks. Advancement opportunities available. Job security is great, I always know I am getting 40hrs a week. All the above is great to have in a job, but the most rewarding aspect is watching the kids learn and grow.
Pros
Lots of overtime availible, great benefits
Addressing Varied service tickets throught the day
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 13, 2014
I helped chart the technology changes with the School administration. Did break-fix troubleshooting, ordered and replaced parts as needed on both desktop and laptops. Troubleshooting on network connections and repaired anywhere from the switch in the closet to the computer. Maintained the network closet and the A/V connection from the projection system to the computer. Also handled the repair and/or replacement of networked printers and the digital document projectors as well.

What I learned is you can never ask enough questions or the same one several different ways to find out what the problem was and when it happens or started.I enjoyed my job so much, I found few things difficult except for when management changed their minds in the middle of a project which happened frequently. What I learned was to be a good listener and to be flexible.
Pros
The staff, students, and TSS workers
Cons
Hodge Podge management
good place
Para-Educator (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 10, 2014
Everyone is really great there. It was a fantastic place to work. All the teachers and students were amazing.
Pros
Nice scenery with certain teachers
Cons
Bratty kids
Enjoyable place to work
Assist students (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 2, 2014
I work in general education classes as well as one on one with students that need extra support in classes. I help teachers in their classrooms by being extra support for all the kids, not just those with special needs, in their class. I help students remain organized and on task with assignments and study for exams. The hardest part is when I am met with resistance from students, I then find a way to negotiate with the student to show them the benefit of what I am trying to help them achieve. The most enjoyable part is when I see a high school kid get excited about how well they did on a test or when or student has a problem and they know that I will listen to them.
Pros
Helping high school students
Cons
Room for advancement
Great kids, good benefits, but some staff issues
Educator (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 6, 2013
I worked as a para in the Blue Valley school district. My students were wonderful, as were many of my coworkers. Some of the regular ed students were a little disrespectful of the adults in the school but were, for the most part, good kids. I ran into some difficulty with a small minority of the staff. I was asked to do some things by superiors that went against my training by the school district (and that frankly made me uncomfortable). When I tried to voice my concerns for my students' well being and the potential conflicts between what I was taught by the district and what I was asked to do, I received zero support from the administration. I chose to leave the school district because of the conflict in values. However, the vast majority of my time at Blue Valley was wonderful and I would still recommend the school district for most potential employees.
Pros
good benefits, great students
Cons
Working lunches, some staff members
Christmas dinners
Custodant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 28, 2013
To offer cell phone and home phone service to clients with ssi and snap and low income..
Pros
Christmas dinners
Cons
No job security
Development of elementary-aged youth as well as staff
2nd and 3rd Grade Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 6, 2013
We have to multitask daily. I had to plan lessons, input data, communicate and build an online website. On the leadership team we had to create days for staff development where teachers learned about technology, writing, and reading. I love to help children, and our staff had a sense of community to help others. I learned the outside of my day-to-day skills was to build websites and to work on a team. Working on a team is essential to improve the needs of your job. Building a website was a wonderful communication source for parents and staff.
Pros
summers and holidays off
Cons
no compensation for longer hours working 50-60 hours per week
Can be an enjoyable work place but high stress
Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 25, 2012
Co-workers were great - loved what I did. Did not have near enough staff/training to provide the kind of service required by the employer.
job coach
Job Coach - Light Industry Enterprises (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 10, 2012
I currently hold the position of Job Coach in an Enterprise called Light Industry. This is a pre-vocational setting where we work with juniors and seniors in high school who have IEP's (Indvidiualized Education Plans).

We teach job skills, which include time on task, appropriate work behaviors, and appropriate social skills.

This job involves creating jobs for the students and working on selling products that the students make on site. We also fulfill orders for collating, shredding and die cutting.
Pros
the students and their growth and health insurance
Cons
wages
Stressful work environment
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 8, 2012
Working here is ok, but there is a great need for improving communication. It takes forever to get information from supervisors. Things seem to run at a slow pace and it gets in the way of doing your job.
Pros
front office and teaching staffs are friendly
Cons
lack of communication between departments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BLUE VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6