BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee

BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Employer Reviews

Great place in beautiful Chattanooga!
Manager, EDM Ops and General Services (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNJuly 21, 2014
Pros: flexibility for most employees
Cons: constant changes and several recent layoffs
I have been with BCBST in varying capacities for 21 years now. Obviously, I think it's a great place to work! There are times when the culture has not kept up with the marketplace, but with our new CEO, that is changing and quickly. Job security is a thing of the past in any industry right now and insurance is no different. You have to remain flexible – more... and willing to move around and learn new things if you want to stay on...anything and everything will eventually change and you won't want to be left behind when it does.
BCBST has fantastic benefits, excellent flexibility for employees and a strong management/executive team. The health and wellness benefits are far above their competitors as well. Stay fit, work hard and reap the benefits! – less
Great Place to Work
RN Case Manager (Current Employee), Knoxville,TNJuly 15, 2014
Pros: supervisor, benefits
I have worked for various managed care companies in the past and I can honestly say that this is the best company to work for.

My supervisor is great. The benefits are excellent. Do not be fooled by some of these reviews. The benefits,especially health insurance,are the best around. The health perks are awesome. Tuition reimbursement is superb.

Blue – more... Cross Blue Shield really does care about its employees. I know that you do not have to "kiss butt" at this company to get ahead. I recommend this company to everyone. – less
Not too bad
Consumer Advisor Expert (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNJune 25, 2014
Pros: compensation, job perks and discounts
Cons: strict policies and procedures
Pending you are not in customer service, this is not a bad place to work. Let me elaborate and say that customer service isn't necessarily fun anywhere, but the policies and procedures in place here made it downright hellish.
fairly decent
Pre-Existing Expert (Former Employee), ChattanoogaJune 11, 2014
Pros: great cafeteria, gym, benefits, flexibilty
Cons: trying to move up is nearly impossible
I worked for them for 10 years. My dept was very flexible, had a super easy boss who basically let us do anything. Never fought for time off, was always able to leave early to accommodate other obligations or just "not felt like working" days..I had many many internal interviews to move up in the company but was never chosen due to the fact they know – more... exactly who they want for the position but they have to interview cuz they have to.

I quit because I relocated. I hated the monotony of working there when I was there but I miss it now. I can't say much for job security (unless you're salary and make great money in the company already) because after I left the dept was eliminated. Employees that had been with them for 16 plus years were basically left to fend for themselves. Some of them are still jobless after 2 yrs. They don't really take care of loyal employees. And that's pretty sad. – less
Simple review
Senior Grievance Associate (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNApril 13, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: n/a
I loved the flexibility of the job as far as the working schedule. My co-worker's were great, in my opinion. I had really great managers. The things I learned over my 16 years there will benefit me forever.
Provides a good work environment with strong leadership
contractor for HEDIS audits (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNApril 12, 2014
Pros: the friendly work environment with gym access
Cons: currently there are no cons to the position
Currently doing HEDIS audit abstractions, where I have learned to utilize mutliple programs. I am provided excellent direction and support by management to accomplish the work. As I had worked there previously, I know a lot of the individuals and work well with them. The hardest part of the job is sitting 8 hours in front of multiple computer screens, – more... however, the most enjoyable part of the job is the accomplishment you feel upon completion. – less
Great People!
Lead Data Management Consultant (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNApril 7, 2014
BCBST is a relaxed place to work. The company takes care of its members and I'm proud to be an employee.
Great learning opprotunities
Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNMarch 18, 2014
Cigna was the first step in my line of professional Healthcare Careers. I appreciate everything that I learn and all the help that was provided by the staff.
Large Health Insurance Company
Change Technology Consultant III (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TennesseeMarch 11, 2014
Great place to start out your career. Overall a fine company
This is a wonderful company to be employed by.
BlueCard Host (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNFebruary 19, 2014
This company was one that I would recommend to anyone. They allowed me to grow as an employee with great benefits and job advancement.
Company highly invested in world class customer service
Learning Facilitator (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: bonosues
While with this company i received excellent training, wonderful work environment and highly motivated to promote employees within the company
education oriented
PRE-EXISTING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Chattanoga TennesseeJuly 28, 2013
Make sure and keep your own records to back you up.
Some management is helpful some is not. Cross Train as much as possible and have documentation to prove it.
Not a place I would recommend unless you are fake and know how to kiss butt
Expert Correspondent (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNMarch 16, 2013
Cons: extreme pressure, high-stress, inconsistencies, favoritism, partiality, discrimination, etc.
BCBST is a place for butt-kissers, 2-faced people who want to get somewhere by who they know and not what they know or what they can do.
blue cross blue shield is a great place to work for
PRE-EXISTING EXPERT (Current Employee), Chattanooga TennesseeFebruary 26, 2013
a typical day is learning something new to help you accomplish your position to best of your ability
Good working environment working with professional teams
Programmer/Microcomputer Specilist (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TennesseeFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: always provided new and exciting changes
Cons: collecting information in limited time to meet the changing needs
A typical day would review Project requests and approvals, determine if they meet all ITIL or best practice processes. Work with applications teams to decide no conflict in procession and testing and /or backout process completely consider.

The hardest part of the job was determining that all the correct stakeholds had signoff on assorted project and – more... insuring backout process was in place to meet production needs. Last assignment included reviewing testing documentation was complete and correctly encompass best practices. – less
Great Job
Data Processor (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: stability, pay, pto
Cons: insurance is not the greatest considering youre an employee, outside employers offer better insurance within the same company
Decent job with paid time off and holidays. Generally easy going although some days are worse than others but thats with any job. Its not a job that I personally want to retire from but you definitely have the opportunity to.
Good benefit package, holidays, etc.
Purchasing Specialist (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNDecember 8, 2012
BlueCross trains their employees well. The company has a great benefit package. Excellent team of co-workers. The position was very enjoyable. It was like running a small business with very little supervision.
Decent Place to Work- Fair Pay and Benefits
Customer Service (Former Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 6, 2012
Pros: the company offers fair pay and benefits to employees, especially tuition reimbursement.
Cons: there are very limited opportunities for advancement within the memphis regional office, the few positions that are offered are not filled by the most qualified individuals.
Spent several years working in various positions within the organization. Enjoyed working for the company for the first 8 years. But, the last 4 years became a nightmare.

Environment: Working in a smaller regional office (Memphis) offered the opportunity to know most of the people by name or at least by face.

Management: The front-line and middle – more... management staff needs a lot of work. Many of these individuals do not possess the knowledge or the integrity to provide adequate leadership. – less
Management trusts no one
Peon (Former Employee), ChattanoogaNovember 19, 2012
Cons: management
Micro-managing from top to bottom
Always looking for someone to blame
Salary employees are protected -- hourly folks are the "problem"
Great environment to work
Network Manager (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 23, 2012
I worked at BlueCross for 9 years and spent my time in Provider Network Contract division in the Provider Relations Department. My job was flexible. The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with the provider community and going out into the field to educate providers on BlueCross policy and procedure.

About BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee

BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee (BCBST) is the oldest and largest not-for-profit managed care provider in the state of Tennessee. – Read more