Bluegrass Oakwood Employee Reviews

It is not a good job, but I love the clients
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYSeptember 9, 2016
They make you stay over all the time, because they laid everyone off. The clients are the only good part. Managers do not care if you are at the point of delusion, they just want to make you stay. They do not care if you have health issue, and they will not assist anyone if they need help. The clients are so sweet and they just want people to be good to them.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Hours and management
Awful
Residential aide (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYOctober 16, 2016
Would not recommend. Employees go unrecognized, unappreciated, lose overtime if you must call in due to being hurt at work because of clients, mandatory overtime out of hand because of turnover, always ran short staffed which causes issues
Pros
Retirement, decent pay
Cons
Overtime, short staffed, unappreciayed
Working with mental retardiness
LPN (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYNovember 29, 2012
Working with mental disibilities and different types of phycological problems have improved my vision on this type of work.Some days were long and hard to see the different things and stages that these individuals go through in their life.Co-workers were excellent to come to your aide at anytime. I loved working in my area due to the fact the clients were used to me and they were easy to deal with for the most part. The most enjoyable part of this job was the smiles and their reaction when they were at their happiest times.I've learned to be more patient and understanding with this kind of work .
Pros
vacation and sick time that could be used at any time.
Cons
no raises for two of years that i worked there.
a good place to work
residential associate (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYDecember 14, 2012
I have the pleasure of impacting peoples lives everyday. I get to to teach disabled individuals life skills that are so imperative to our culture and our way of life; that the average person deems so little these clients make great strides in bettering themeselves and learning even the smallest of skills. I really appreciate the co-workers that i work with because we always make sure that the client is taken care of in a safe timely manner. The hardest part of the job is dealing with adaptive behaviors such as kicking, punching, etc. but for the most part i love my job and plan to stay in this business for the rest of my life.
Pros
work at my own pace
Cons
no raises
meet some of the best people there
RA (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYMarch 24, 2014
management sucks. The most enjoying part of the day is knowing you have made a difference in the lives of the clients. The love that you show them and the love you received from the clients. the hardest part of the job is the mental stress that goes along with the job. The not knowing what will happen or where you will be the next day.
Pros
45 min. supper break
Cons
stress
Great hours
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYSeptember 16, 2015
I feel like i learned alot at this company, no problems with management, enjoyed the patients and staff. Good hours and good pay.
Pros
good lunches
Cons
very physical job.
Great place to work just to many chiefs not enough indians
Residential Associate (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYMay 19, 2013
If management doesnt like you then you will not last... Thats all I can say about the job besides if you like helping others and cleaning then you will fit in great
Pros
Awesome Peer to Peer relations and Self To Low Lever Workers
Cons
Way to many managers to answer to u will see at least 6 daily
Extremely stressful and unsteady with job stabiltiy.
Residential Associate (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYMarch 27, 2014
In a typical day I take care of anywhere from 1-4 clients. There are 6 all together in my home. I help them get ready in the morning including showers and self cares. I assist with meal time if needed. I do light cleaning. I assist them to class and help them learn daily skills. My co-workers are extremely helpful. We always work together as a team. There's no way you would be able to work at Bluegrass Oakwood if you didn't work as a team. The hardest part of the job is dealing with extremely physically aggressive clients. It's extremely hard on my body and mind. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am making a difference in there lives. Some clients don't have any family or friends and it really brightens their day to know they have someone who cares about them and likes them.
Pros
great coworkers and staff
Cons
extremely stressful and unstable
not the greatest but a good place
SENIOR RESIDENTIAL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYOctober 31, 2013
a pretty good place to work, not the best pay and you only get 37.5 hours per week but its a job that you could do for a long time and potentially retire from.
Pros
good pay, reasonable hours
Cons
hours could be longer, sometimes the work can be tough.
Very rewarding job
Residential Associate (RA) (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYNovember 3, 2012
A typical day consisted of anywhere from 1-7 patients/clients to provide care for. I had great coworkers and learned alot about mental health and disability. The hardest part was seeing individuals leave that I had spent years caring for.
OKay for a short term
Case Management Services (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYAugust 31, 2012
Not conducive to long term work. Low job security. Shifts swap often without much notice which makes it hard for family oriented people to work there.
Pros
insurance and benefits
Cons
low job security
Loved my job
Resident Associate (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYMarch 27, 2015
It wasnt a bad place to work, it needed little improvement. The employees could have been trained more to deal with the type of clients we had to work with.
Decent Job
Residential Aid (Former Employee) –  Somerset KyApril 11, 2012
no job security. management doesnt hear your concerns. its not a place i would ever want to work again. You're put in very stressful situations and given no support at all.
Cons
everything
work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYApril 5, 2013
liked the job, Management was lost and used little common sense, but it was fun help residents.
Pros
working and helping residence.
Cons
lack of trust, respect, lack of common sense.
Was never a boring day.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYJanuary 14, 2015
Since I have to write a review I would say that this is a good place to work. The floor staff there are excellent and great to work with.
an okay place to work for the money
RA/CNA (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYDecember 20, 2014
a typical day at work included helping the residents live a life full of quality and improve their quality of life by helping complete daily needed skills. Assisted in feeding, bathing, toileting, learning, etc. The job taught me to never judge a book by its cover and just because they may not have the same mentality as I doesn't make them any less intelligent than any of us. It also taught me patience, compassion, love, and responsibility. My managers were busy working on things other than what they should have. To be a supervisor was a cake job where the employees were expected to do everything on their own and the manager very very rarely step in and help. Co'workers come and went fast and weren't always your favorite people, but everyone needed to learn how to work as a team because sometimes thats what it took to get the job done. The mental stress was the hardest part of this job because of some challenges you had to face and sit through with some patients on a routine basis.
Pros
pay when started, helping someone with their life, teaching, growing
Cons
management, priority of staff, no recognition, skills needed to be able to do this day in and day out, poorly stafffed
Decent pay, very stressful
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYJuly 1, 2013
One of the best paying jobs in the area, but very stressful with little rewards.
Rewarding and fun workplace.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYNovember 15, 2013
A fun and rewarding and sometimes challenging workplace, but, I truly enjoyed my time there. A typical day of work consisted of receiving and giving nurse report, narcotic count, checking 24 hour report to determine which client required follow up care, accuchecks, administering morning medications while performing some patient teaching, scheduling on ground appointments PRN, reporting to PA during his rounds, administering afternoon medications, as well as PRN medications, assessments of clients, charting, etc. Management was fine, but, could be stressful at times. The majority of my co-workers were team players and always willing to help each other out if needed. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the death of a client or a client transitioning out of the facility. It is hard not to come to truly care for these special clients and when one would be lost it was a sad time for me; but, never interfered with my ability to perform my duties pertaining to my job description. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with these very special clients, learning about different illnesses, and, most importantly, seeing a client achieve a certain goal that they had for themselves. That was always very rewarding to me.
Pros
Health benefits were average, but, probably better than other facilities, had a program to help pay for some schooling. Long lunches, scheduled breaks, but, extra ones if time allowed.
Cons
No holiday bonus, not much over time, no optical insurance.
A great place to work if you like to work with the type of individuals that reside there; very rewarding.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYAugust 20, 2013
Mornings would begin with recieving report from nurse from prior shift, reviewing the 24 hr sheet to see what patients needed to be followed up on, then accuchecks. Next, I would administer morning scheduled medications, chart in notes anyone who needed followed up on, escorted patients to on grounds appointments with staff members, conferred with doctors, attended any meetings if any scheduled. Approximately 11:00 am I would begin administering afternoon medications, then continue to chart in nursing notes, if needed. I was assigned to one cottage, but, usually was pulled to another cottage as well as mine; so most days I would have two homes. I worked with clients that had seizures, g-tubes, and cathaters, did patient teaching, and basic LPN duties. At the end of the day I would give report to the oncoming nurse, and then go home. I thouroughly enjoyed working with the individuals I did, they made my job so rewarding. They are very special people!! I learned to have compassion and to be grateful for a life without these disabilities. Honestly, the clients are what kept me there as long as I was, as I didn't agree with the way the facility was ran at times. My co-workers were wonderful and staff worked really real with the nurses so as to better care for the clients. The staff have an extremely difficult jobs at times and don't get the credit they deserve; in my opinion. The hardest part of the job was losing a client, whether it be to moving on to a new facility or passing away; it was always sad to me. Lastly, working one on one with the clients was the most  more... enjoyable part of my job; I felt I was the fortunate one to have worked with such remarkable clients.  less
Pros
Great co-workers; always working together for the best care of the clients. Some good benefits.
Cons
Not the greatest benefits, never recieved my sign on bonus, as I know other nurses that also didn't.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bluegrass Oakwood. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9