BLUELINX

BLUELINX United States Employee Reviews

Stressful
Territory Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 22, 2014
Pros: benefits (ie, insurance, company car, etc)
Cons: stressful
Wholesale distribution requires maintaining great relationships on both ends - suppliers and customers. The company is highly leveraged, thus struggles with both ends. In addition to this handicap, the company is top heavy and inflexible - upside down pyramid. As a result, they have lost a wealth of talent - people who could have altered the coarse of less than mediocre.

In most cases, the company's successful competitors are the opposite - upright pyramid. These companies are broader where "the rubber meets the road."

Because the company has a nationwide footprint, it has tremendous potential. The major customers are looking for providers/vendors who have the potential to establish national programs. Because of the issues listed previously, the company only scratches the surface.
A normal day at BlueLinx
Truck Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee), National City, CASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: bluelinx san diego has good equipment.
Cons: we no longer have overnight runs.
Typically I start my day between 4:30-6:30 a.m. by first logging into the truck then doing a thorough pre-trip inspection. Then I check my load for accuracy prior to securing the load. Most of our loads are multiple stop from 2-13 businesses each. At some point during the day I log out for a 30 min. lunch before resuming my route. During the day I talk with the dispatcher or branch manager if any problems arise or if there are any changes to my route. The hardest part of my job are the occasional unexpected unusually long wait times at a customer yard to be unloaded. The most enjoyable part of my job of course is driving. I have been driving trucks for close to 35 years and I still love to drive.
refection
MATERIAL HANDLER/UTILITY (Current Employee), Bridgeton, MOAugust 25, 2014
Pros: first in and last out, hard working and always try my hardest and best. very reliable and always a team player
Cons: over strive
in my time in the work field i have had a lot of experience in many different areas, i typical am a go getter and a hard worker, i always strive to be early to the job and get right to work. i would say that my co-workers and i get along and work together very well.
Management position with a nationwide building products warehousing and distribution company.
Logistics Manager (Former Employee), Denver, COJanuary 5, 2014
I prefer not to write a review at this time. If need be, I will answer any questions asked of me by a prospective employers.
customers
Driver (Former Employee), Frederick, MDDecember 17, 2013
Cons: having to tarp load on rainy days
drove around and delivered building products to lumber yards around Md,
Company in flux
VICE PRESIDENT / DIRECTOR, SUPPLY CHAIN (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 15, 2013
Pros: - there are a lot of good people working there who respect each other.
Cons: - uncertain future
BlueLinx Co. brings a lot of value to the market place and has a lot of room to grow. Unfortunately right now the company's management is going through reorganization which creates uncertainty.
Difficult working environment
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Denver CoJuly 10, 2013
Pros: i am able to in a way run my own business by managing product lines
Cons: budget constraints, changing commission structures every year.
Typical day at work is 30 to 70 sales calls a day outbound to current customers while taking inbound sales calls. Managing inventory of 4 major product codes with over 100 items. Working with vendors to insure prompt delivery and quality customer service. The job has been difficult the past 6 years due to the economic down turn in the housing market. It is not an enjoyable place to work but I enjoyed dealing with my customers. My account base was around 120 customers. I enjoyed my co-workers and they could count on me to have the products they needed in stock and to provide them with prompt answers about product knowledge. I have quickly learned to be a problem solver when problems arise.
ZERO Strategic Planning
Prefer not to say (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 2, 2012
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management, training, scorecards
This company is all over the place. I bounced from position to position without proper training or warning and then was offered a F/T job. The manager was unpredictable and put up a facade. One of the worse employers I have yet to come across!
EWP Designer
Engineered Lumber Designer (Current Employee), Bellingham, MAMay 7, 2012
I provide design services for Engineered Lumber products. I provide engineered calculations for customers along with full framing plans and designs for residences and small commercial buildings.
One of my best jobs yet.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GAMarch 16, 2012
Pros: the work place itself
Cons: the weather change
Enjoyed the team work and the employees were very helpful in teaching proper procedures and saftey.