BMO Financial Group

BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Terrible Place to work
contract specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, IllOctober 29, 2015
Run don't walk from any job interests for this company. They are cheap. Management is terrible and they do not care about employees. No mentoring or job advancement. Dead end job. Run as fast as you can from this company.
Pros
leaving for the day
Cons
everything
Fun Workplace
Associate, Independent Controls (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2015
A great place to work with very supportive management and colleagues. Personal growth and development is always welcomed. There is a decent amount of red tape and politics, but it is to be expected from a big company. The most enjoyable parts of the job is working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. With the many changes within the company, it's is always necessary and hard for everyone when mergers and acquisitions take place.
Pros
Supportive Management, Great Colleagues, Personal Growth and Development
Cons
Not much support and help for job placement within company when mergers and acquistions take place
Line of Businesses don't communicate, Canada & US are not connected
Retail Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 14, 2015
Great pay, Great hours.
They have cut back on expenses drastically, they no longer want the word networking in their vocabulary for the retail branches.
They believe business will come solely by making phone calls when they have minimal presence in certain markets.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Hours
Cons
Cheap, Non-beleivers in networking
Needs to connect with US better
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  NYAugust 31, 2015
• Strategic and Operational Balance
• Strong Execution
• Client Focused
Pros
Cons
From Canada
Large company. Difficult to move around within.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2015
Large company. Doesn't pay well. Makes it very challenging for employees to move around. Doesn't seem to invest much in it's current workforce. Old school banking culture.
Worst experience ever!
Contractor (processor) (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIAugust 22, 2015
They will NEVER be a top 5 bank in the USA because they lack all of the qualities to do so.

They are unorganized, unprofessional, everything is based on personal relationships when getting considered for advancement, and they use contractors/temp workers like they aren't even humans.
Pros
Hours
Cons
management, advancement options, the lies
Risk-adverse culture
Middle-Market Banking Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2015
Work-life balance possible at company; employee base typically worked 8-5. Employees are consistently nice people.
Good job while in school, don't stay longer than you have to.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 18, 2015
The job itself is pretty easy. Do accurate transactions, refer customers to bankers about products/services, give good customer service, keep a balanced drawer, and know all the rules.

The company has a really loose definition of "fully-staffed"

One manager was good, the other one wasn't. Some coworkers are really difficult to work with and would mess up the simplest transactions, leaving me to fix it all.

Management not entirely honest about performance expectations.

Hardest part of job is keeping up with all the new rules/regulations.

Most enjoyable parts are payday and leaving.
Pros
Good benefits, "bankers hours", solid work/life balance
Cons
Low hourly wage compared to other banks, really slow-paced
Not a good place to work
research (Former Employee) –  ILJuly 1, 2015
BMO does some things well and some things not so well. It's capital markets function is very profitable and has a successful sell side research group. The company is profitable. In my experience, the databases are a mess. You get different versions of the truth depending on which dept you ask and which server the data comes from. They tried to do servicing systems on the cheap and found that could not support some loans. Some customers found their accounts were suddenly open for no reason, some found they were closed for no reason. Tens of thousands of customers were simply cut off for no reason. I have yet to meet a customer who hasn't had a problem with their account. I found it very difficult to work there. The systems problems made it impossible to reconcile results. Communication was completely shut off. If you are in the inner circle, it's probably a great place to be. If you are not in the inner circle, people are unfriendly to the point of being mean. Recent pulse results showed that they were behind on technology. Instead of addressing technology, they are kicking off a marketing campaign to convince workers that the technology is great. New ideas are not welcome, so if your manager didn't think of it, the idea will never see the light of day.
Pros
Capital Markets, sell side research
Cons
data is a mess, lack of communication, people are mean
Recently terminated after 16 yrs. job was posted from personal banker to Universal banker.
Personal Banker 16 yrs (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WiMay 27, 2015
I went on medical leave for major foot surgery & 2 months into my leave I was informed my position of 16 yrs was being posted as they couldn't wait for me to get well & come back to the branch I so loved to work at. I would never see my old customers that I built great relationships with again. So I came back as a part-time teller as I had to learn this job first to try to get back to my old position but this time they changed it to a Universal Banker. They never fully trained me & wrote me up for minor mistakes, setting off the alarm accidentally, not getting signatures on slips, taking in a check that was written to a customer & his estate. There was no estate on file so they terminated me without me even having to fix my errors & keep my job. The manager & service manager were heartless & uncaring. They do not allow any mistakes at all. We are not human anymore. Please be careful with any jobs you get from now on at BMO! They are micro managed & very heartless with their employees!!! BEWARE!!!!!!!!
Pros
Nice benefits, health insurance, pension, 401
Cons
Unrealistic goals, unfriendly staff & management, uncaring, not willing to train.
Unrealistic Expectations and a cap on growth
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  ChicagoApril 2, 2015
While the Benefits and Vacation time are amazing, the length of time you spend at work, the grueling overtime due to short staff issues, the underpaying, overlooking, micro-managing with unrealistic continuous goal, competitive spirit heavily outweighs the good!
Pros
Benefits, Vacation, Your team becomes your family!
Cons
Too many to describe
Micro-managing, unrealistic goals
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  WIMarch 27, 2015
A typical day at work as a Universal Banker ...up at the teller line most of the day, while up at the teller line(which as a UB you will be up here A LOT) You will be called on to cover bathroom and lunch breaks etc. While up at the teller line you are to talk every customer into signing up for a product..ie: checking, savings, mortgage, ODP, CC etc. You are watched like a hawk and every conversation you have is listened to by the service manager , then you will be coached as in what /what not to say for the next time. Meetings, meetings, meetings. Unattainable sales goals. Have to stay 2 nights a week for call nights. Basically cold calling people during dinner hours to try and get them to come in for an appointment. And you do not get sales leads. You have to dig thru old work to find your appointments, calls, referrals etc. If you like being micro managed ...this is the job for you. Co-workers at my branch are rude,dry, and disrespectful. There is nothing fun about this job. The hardest part of the job...is coming into work everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving work for the day!
Pros
benefits, pay, bankers hours
Cons
poor management, unrealistic sales goals, verrrry slow paced
Productive, Excellent Career choice of employment
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2015
Work is a consistent, the management and benefits are amazing. I work with an excellent team. The hardest part of the job is increase in salary with internal promotions. The salary is not in line with other big companies.
Pros
benefits, employees, management
Cons
salary
Highly stressful work environment with lousy pay.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2015
I worked at a retail branch for 6 yrs. and things got worse every single year. Management expectations became increasingly unreasonable while cutting pay and benefits. When unattainable goals aren't met, you are micro - managed to death. You can never feed the starving beast enough in this highly stressful environment. While the bond and relationships with Co - workers is good, everyone shares in the daily pressure to produce; as what you do is just never good enough. I was glad to finally leave.
Pros
good people in the office
Cons
management expectations are unreasonable
Recommend you pass!
DS (Former Employee) –  CHICAGO, ILJanuary 8, 2015
Recommend you pass on this employer, especially if you're a DS. Not a place that understands work life balance. Professional courtesy and respect does not exist.
Mid size nice atmosphere nice people
Desktop Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2014
Great group of people to work with everyday. Keeping up with the busy workflow is challenging but enjoyable. Working as part of a great team is the best part of the job.
Exciting and productive
Retail Funding Analyst (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIAugust 21, 2014
My typical day would be getting my cup of hot chocolate logging on my system and getting my work organized for the day.
I've learned to be patient and turn every negative to positive.
All of my co-workers were great and a great team to work with.
The hardest part of my job was trying to find something to do when it slowed down.
The most enjoyable part of my job was problem resolution.
Pros
flexability with our time
Cons
healthcare
Fast paced work environment
Desktop Publisher / Graphic Design (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2014
There really wasn't a typical day, everyday was different which wasn't a bad thing. It was a very fast-paced environment with different types of projects to work on every day. I learned how to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment. I also learned many different types of programs while I was there. My co-workers were wonderful. We all worked great as a team and everyone helped one another. I enjoyed that there was always something new to do every day. It kept work interesting.
Excellent support
Collection Specialist / Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIJune 12, 2014
The work place was a nice and friendly environment. Superiors are really supportive.
Pros
great support
Bad Leadership
AML Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2014
The individual who also stated "Bad Leadership" could not have been more CORRECT! Terrible leadership, kissing up gets you to the top, very unprofessional, and management could use a few ethical classes on their own.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low pay!