BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2017
Great place to work. Great benefits. They allow a lot of discreation on the job. The company is doing wonderful so the job security is amazing. Really laid back atmosphere.
Great Place to work
Private Mortgage Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 7, 2017
Great pay, benefits, and work environment! Management is awesome. Great Recognition programs. A ton of opportunities to grow and develop more skills within the organization
Presentation Designer
Presentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2017
Contract position: Work with multi-facet groups. Deadlines are short timed. Technology taken back. Branding varies in international and domestic styles cause errors.
Pros
International communication
Cons
No benefits
Unequal and unfairness
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILMarch 1, 2017
I felt so much unfairness and unequal treatment everyday at BMO. Management was never helpful about my career planing. Management behavior at work at BMO was so negative and inappropriate.
A lot of great people, but chronically undermanaged
Sales (Former Employee) –  MidwestFebruary 17, 2017
I loved working with my former colleagues, but BMO, like many financial services firms, is undermanaged. Managers too often rely on outside consultants to make decisions, and these decisions as well as firm targets/goals are often crammed down from Toronto HQ and elsewhere with little input from the field as to their ability to be achieved.
Pros
Great people to work with, wonderful clients
Cons
Cost cutting your way to prosperity doesn't work over the long-term
Hectic workpace env.
Senior Database/ETL Developer (Former Employee) –  First Canadian PlaceFebruary 13, 2017
Hectic work pace environment. As a contractor, not got opportunity to participate in other activities. All factors vary from team to teams.
Great company and excellent co-workers
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2017
Overall this is a very bitter-sweet situation moving from this company as it is an incredible bank and my co-workers are amazing people, but I am ready to move home to New York/Connecticut as soon as I find a new opportunity in the area that I can see myself enjoying long-term and helping to grow my career.
Contract position only no chance to work as permanent
Network Support Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 30, 2017
Not chance to work beyond 18 mo. I did know that upfront but it seems a waist to keep retraining new people. Over all BMO not bad to work for. Nice work spaces, Quit and a Cafe on 1st floor. Many of the permanent people are deadwood and should be weeded out. Contract employee's seem to carry the work load there.
Pros
Some WFH oppertunities
Cons
18 Mo contract only no staying around here
Unstable
Senior Counsl (Former Employee) –  chicagoJanuary 23, 2017
Management in Toronto has no idea of real-life work environment in Chicago. Decisions are made that have significant affect on teams, yet no one is consulted. Pay increases are a joke.
No trust in its employees
Risk Model Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2016
After doing a great job for multiple years, I was still unable to make small decisions. I was assigned the work of a senior manager while being just a manager with no additional help.
Pros
Good place to start your career
Cons
Management that doesn't care
Warning signs...pay attention.
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2016
People write reviews when they have had a really good or really bad experience. Believe what you read below. The purpose 's to prevent anyone else from making what has been the biggest mistake in my life.

I have more than 10 years of financial experience and have progressed steadily at each company where I've been employed. Here's what happens at BMO for experienced and non-experienced employees.

Typical day: Extreme micromanagement by an insecure, untrained manager. Upper management ignores/allows this behavior.

What I learned: Not to work for someone that has no management training or experience. Manager was hired as an intern and moved up because she reported to the same person year after year. When he moved up, she moved up. AKA, cronyism. This is common throughout BMO.

Management: See above.

Co-workers: Very good people with lots of patience and stamina for extreme verbal abuse and professional torture.

The hardest part of the job: Management and the fear of career death.

The most enjoyable part of the job: Getting another job offer and getting out of BMO.
Pros
Pleasant co-workers.
Cons
Poor management infected throughout the company.
Perfect example of Work/Life Balance
AML/KYC Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CADecember 6, 2016
Amazing place to work and work/life balance is given the utmost priority which makes it even much better place to work.
Management always understands the needs of their employees and makes the improvements for the betterment of employees and productivity. Working was always fun and enjoyable.
Bureaucracy
Equity Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 14, 2016
Great co-workers, although most of them have been downsized. Had a good work/life balance. Management was poor in that too often politics drove decisions rather than common sense.
Good company. Work/Life balance depends on your role, and line of business
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 13, 2016
Typical week was 55+ hrs. The area I worked in was much more reactive than strategic. Sr. mgmt was unable to lay out a clear path of how we were going to get to where we needed to be, but they demanded positive progress and good news. Executive mgmt outside of my area seemed to have their act together.
Pros
worked with a good team. project work was interesting (learned alot)
Cons
conflict with direct manager (micro-management), work/life balance not good
Do NOT Bother
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 9, 2016
Do yourself a huge favor and go work somewhere else unless working for a bad company is something you want.
BMO is full of gossipy, negative, number pushing people.
Cons
Large company with lots of potential to grow
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 24, 2016
Great company, very diverse and has great sense of corporate responsibility. This bank also values great work- life balance and gives some opportunity of working remotely.
Dont do it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILOctober 15, 2016
The worst organization I have ever worked for! Managment gossips and lies and plays employees against each other. Overtime is mandatory or they want you out! Unrealistic goals. Very stressful! If you have a family, do not work here because you will be expected to eat, sleep and breathe Bmo and if you dont then eventually you will crack or they will find a way to make u uncomfortable and force you to leave.
Pros
Leaving to go home
Would not recommend
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2016
The people I worked with were great. Some good leadership, but many have no clue on what leadership is and just were out for themselves and accepted no responsibility. There's a Canadian presence and you feel it. Things change daily are very poorly communicated, total chaos. Application development is outsourced, very costly and takes a lot of time to get anything done. Vendors has a lot of control and that is not the way it should be.
Benefits
Cons
Some really bad management
Productive and goal oriented place to work
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  West Allis, WISeptember 18, 2016
The work itself is enjoyable and I feel that the direction is always given to complete your day. I enjoy working there. In a typical day at work I underwrite files, I learn new things every day. I have a manager and co workers. The hardest part of the day is getting everything done.
Pros
Great Bank benefits
All that matters is sales
Teller (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, INSeptember 5, 2016
Constantly nagged about sales and quotas. Customer service isn't really important unless the customer is wealthy. Management only cares about money and getting people to sign up for everything. If you ask and they say no, it's your fault. You're expected to harass customers every time they're at the bank. Awful management and work environment.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
High pressure sales, constant saturday work, favortism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.