BMO Harris Bank Employee Reviews

The people are amazing!
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2017
I managed to meet a lot of new friends during my assignment at BMO Harris Bank, and I am so grateful for that! The culture was a little strange because of the integration of a business unit from another organization. So, it was stressful for both cultures to combine into one. A lot of uncertainty.

My direct management team was not what I was hoping for. Although their intentions were good, they were too busy to provide the support that we need as PMs. That was probably the hardest part of the job... and not having the clarity of the what the projects intentions were.
Pros
Free coffee, open concept cubicles, location, employees
Cons
Culture, lack of structure
technology impaired
Campaign Analytics Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2017
Th people that work here are great, but hard to get work done when you are so technology dependent and it is dated and so there are so many fixes and things that take longer to get done. Be prepared to find band-aids to apply interim solutions and be your own problem solver. You will learn a lot because you will have to be creative and finding documentation will be nonexistent. You have to be a pretty patient person working here. The nice thing was a pretty great work life balance.
Older bank making an effort to modernize, and succeeding
Data Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 16, 2017
Overall the bank provides a great, flexible work environment with friendly coworkers and managers that want you to succeed. There is a cafeteria in the building, and a variety of outside vendors come a few times a week and sell specialty foods. The bank's systems are outdated and many processes are still manual, but there are ongoing efforts to modernize and automate.

Some managers get caught up in hierarchies however and can be stubborn or difficult to communicate with. Some patience is required.

Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Cafeteria in building, friendly coworkers
Cons
Certain managers can be stubborn
Amazing company to work for. Looks to advance from within.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Superior, WIJanuary 3, 2017
The company is very well stream lined. They have taken the time to work out almost every situation you could encounter in a day and prepare you for it. BMO was very family conscious organization everyone from the bank manager to the tellers took interest each others daily lives. The best part of the job was when I started to know and remember information about my regular customers.
Pros
A set scheduled
Cons
I would have to work Saturdays
BMO is Awesome!!
Treasury Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2017
I had to input data of financial loans in database and vendors information and update their cash log information. Also, I had to prepare financial reports for the vice president of treasury for her monthly meetings

I learned that financial institutions are my real calling and I would like to work for BMO or another bank in the far future.

Workplace culture was professional and my vice president had a great open door policy

Hardest part of the job was when the department moved out the city and I couldn't make the transition due to being in grad school and other obligations.

The most enjoyable job was working with the team I had and also there was a chance for promotion
Pros
Vice President, Work Hours & Workplace Environment
Cons
Too many meetings per week
Great job at entry level, stressful and political beyond
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Glencoe, ILDecember 22, 2016
As a teller - fun, light, and can be a blast with the right team. Easy to stay motivated, and very rewarding. Great for developing and practicing people and sales skills. Team manager is in a very relate-able situation and is not blind to your hard work.

As a banker - very aggressive sales goals. Can be fun with the right team. Rewarding if you can utilize all of your potential.
Pros
flexible, rewarding, fun
Cons
aggressive sales goals
great employment
Anti Money Laundering (AML) Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2017
Great employment

Work wholesale banking KYC and due diligence for business and organization structures
• Undertake quality review of clients’ KYC records
• Manage and facilitate client due diligence, including coordinating the participation of JPMorgan stakeholders who have KYC responsibilities
• Act as a KYC and AML subject matter resource for KYC due diligence teams
• Serve as point of contact for KYC and reporting issues for designated clients
• Act as a subject matter resource on the KYC/AML policies and procedures
• Participate in annual AML discussions with clients
• Discuss and escalate with Compliance complex issues surrounding client types and structures, financial products and services, and other AML risk-related issues
Temp worker
Recovery Administrator (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIDecember 18, 2016
I've enjoyed the work that i do, but as a temp worker you are not given the same opportunities as an employee. The training you receive is left for something to be desired once you get into your position, you must be able to use critical thinking skills, and be knowledgeable with compliance.

The most difficult thing for me I was approved for a change in hours due to school schedule and then was told after the approval by the same manager that they were unsure how accommodating they would be able to be with my next semester hours (which again were already approved).
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
training, inconsistency
Good, not Great
Teller (Former Employee) –  Sussex, WIJanuary 9, 2017
BMO taught me many vital qualities that i have used throughout my career and personal life. That being said, as such a large company, it felt very impersonal beyond my branch co-workers. Management could have been better but the tellers were the heart of my branch, they always went to extent of their abilities, within regulation, to help customers.
Pros
great service to customers
Cons
impersonal corporate setting
Overall good place to be employed
SMAC Booking Trust Operations Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 29, 2016
Typical day 8-5. Not much time for lunch. I learn something new everyday even after 10yrs. My Boss is always there to help me with any issues I may have. Co workers are sometimes lazy and the work always falls back to the strong ones which would be me. Not enough time in my day to get done all the work. I feel good when I get caught up with my work or one of my Clients recognizes my hard work which they do often.
Pros
flexible schedule good managers health dental and vision insurance
Cons
short staffed alot of turn over in dept
A typical day at work
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 25, 2017
Every morning our branch has a morning huddle from 8:30 to 8:45 am to discuss important updates and the sales focus for the day. At 8:45 am I return client calls while the Tellers prepare to open at 9 am. 15 minutes to open an entire bank branch is not a lot of time.

At 9 am there are already clients in line waiting to be served by the Tellers. Sometimes when we arrive at 8:30 there are already clients (usually seniors) lined up outside waiting to be let in to the branch.

Appointments for the Sales Team start at 10 am. From 9 am to 10 am we return telephone messages and follow up on administrative work. Tellers start serving clients at 9 am on the nose. The average transactions time for a teller is 6 minutes, but ideally it should be 4.5 minutes. Think about the last time you went into a bank branch, did you spend 4.5 to 6 minutes with the teller?
good pay & benefits
Retail Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 12, 2016
Too sales driven

Would like to be able to focus more on customer service than trying to sell something each time you speak with a customer.

cold calling required daily, minimum amount of products opened per week is quite high compared to what can realistically be done

great environment in branch i work in, upper management needs to calm down on sales and micromanaging
Productive and a very busy environment
SENIOR SERVICE REPRESENTAIVE (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILJanuary 20, 2017
A very busy cash monitoring environment that puts its customers needs first. A typical day would begin with a warm welcome to the customers, handling transactions so that all the customers needs are met.
The hardest part of the job is to always keep a smiling face. And the most enjoyable part is chatting with customers.
Great place before it was bought by BMO/Harris
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brown Deer, WIJanuary 11, 2017
when I started it was M&I bank it was great to work for benefits and vacation time off raises you name best place I ever worked. Then BMO/Harris bought it and we lost half of the job field due to outsourcing its too bad M&I was a great place to work for.
Pros
Benefits, Raises, Vacation, Managment
Cons
BMO/Harris bought it out
Risk-Averse and Change Phobic
Technology and Development (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2016
not very well organized, hesitant to adopt any new technology, refused to listen to advice being provided by contractors that have experience relevant to the project. focus not always paid attention to critical items. extremely political environment with only path for advancement existing in Canadian offices.
Do not go here!
Banker (Former Employee) –  Hinsdale, ILDecember 18, 2016
Goals are pushed on employees dont care about people just making their numbers. Will write you up if you do not make them. Political management needs to care about their emoloyees goals will come. Rule with fear and intimidation. Management needs more people skills employees leaving due to mgmt. Turn over is high.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad Mgmt
Fun place to work for
Teller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2017
My experience working for BMO Harris Bank was overall a very good one. I enjoyed working with the co-workers that i had behind the teller line. Management really helped broaden my work experience throughout the time i had with the company.
Pros
Liked working for the company
Cons
Never had opportunity to widen my career
Good to people and customers. Behind in programs
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2016
A big bank run like a small one. Very focused on employees, customers and community. They are the good guy bank.

Not focused enough on automating all parts of the business. They remain inefficient and don't seem to understand the value of data or how to use it to make things work better.
Pros
They do the "right thing", focusing on customer, community, and employee (most of the time)
Cons
The use of data to automate validate, and control is lacking, It takes way too long to get information or get things done. "Old School bank"
Bank
Mortgage Banker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WISeptember 26, 2016
• Originate, FHA, Wheda, Conventional and Construction Loans
• Work in a team environment in an effort to achieve quarterly sales revenue goals.
• Create relationships in order to produce a high volume loan pipeline
• Uncover and present solutions to both prospective and existing customer’s
• Responsible for meeting or exceeding current sales revenue goals by selling and cross-selling
bank products and services to premier team, retail and small business customers, as well as
making qualified referrals to respective business partners.
Good company to work for.. unless you're in mortgages!
Mortgage Banker (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILFebruary 3, 2017
Current position- hard to be "managed" by an individual who's never worked in the position they're managing. The current mortgage department overall is not a pleasant environment. work - life balance is nonexistent.
Pros
Initial training
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Harris Bank. Our community is ready to answer.