BNSF Railway

BNSF Railway Employee Reviews

A typical work day is always different each and every day.
conductor (Current Employee), Lincoln NebraskaAugust 27, 2015
This company is diverse and unique in many ways. The workforce is like a family and everyone gets along and works as a unit. When the BNSF unit starts working its very safe and effective, and that's the best part about this company.
Good Company
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 20, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company really have nothing bad to say about them. Its not a job for everybody a lot of time away from home
Its a good Job and pays very well.
Conductor/Switchmen (Current Employee), Houston TXAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Awesome pay, benefits and retirement
Cons: Hours and management are not so great.
The life style and hours are hard to get use to but the company pays you well for that inconvenience. I learned really quick that management there does not care about you or your family only that you show up for work. I wouldn't say its easy to get fired but they put that fear in you.
Great Experience
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee), Temple, TexasAugust 19, 2015
Good co-workers and good benefits. Hardest part is unpredictability and time away from home. Salary is definitely a plus. its probably the only job that you could make 6 figures in without a college degree.
productive love to solve problems
warehouse asst. manager (Current Employee), 1600 lakeside parkwayAugust 18, 2015
Pros: think fast on solving problems
Cons: long hours some days
love to problem solve and work with customers to insure satisfaction. daily operations here can vary some day's are long and trying others are not.but i have been given the authority to do what is needed to insure things run right in our international warehouse dept.
Best Job I have every had as far as pay goes....
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Fort WorthAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Pay and benefits free hotel stay, safety Dinners, Healthcare
Cons: Away from home, extreme hot work, worklife balance
Great Job to have, it's more targeted towards a single person unless you get into a good position where you can work close to home. The money and benefits are great, work life balance not so much. Your usually gone 5 days a week, you work in extreme heat and extreme cold so be prepared, this job is a mind thing as it is physically also.
Fun place to work
Account Manager (Current Employee), High Point, NCAugust 11, 2015
Pros: endless potential, upbeat colleagues
Cons: no salary, fighting to get, leads
Commission only, which creates a feeling of instability. Business model does not create opportunity for team environment.
great place to work traveling abroad
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 9, 2015
enjoying working traveling abroad. Good place to learn Railway safety regulations. A good place to build off of............................................................................................
BNSF Railway is a good company to work for.
Laborer, Carman Welder, Supervisor,Facilitator (Former Employee), Lincoln, NE St Cloud,MN Grand Forks, NDAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Good working conditions, good salary, safety minded.
Cons: Sent to a few locations that I'd rather not stay.
Great company to work for. Had a wonderful career for 41 years until I retired. My duties covered a wide spectrum. Everything from sweeping floors to operating fork lifts and other big equipment. Dealt with railroad materials and coordinated movements of same.

As a carman welder did repair and maintenance on railway equipment. I've had supervisor training. I've written up bills on car repair. As a member of the safety and health team I was involved with facilitating for a few years.

I've worked at a number of locations. Through it all management was supportive. The BNSF Railway has good people running it and working at all levels.I am proud to have been a part of such a great company.
Traditional Programming Job
Systems Developer (Current Employee), Topeka, KSAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, good pay.
Cons: Large corporations move slowly.
With flexible hours and a lot of freedom to work in the way you want BNSF is a great place to work. But a lot of that depends on your manager, with some teams being given work and told to produce instead of involving them in the decision-making process.
Good pay, bad schedule
Conductor (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Pay, benefits, healthcare, retirement
Cons: Hours, schedule, job security
I enjoy working at BNSF, but it takes the right kind of person to be able to do the job. I learned a lot about the railroad, co-workers are great, hardest part of the job is being gone from home for 1-2 days.
Fun workplace, everyone was like family
Account Manager (Former Employee), Rolling Meadows, ILJuly 29, 2015
work was always a good time, with the stress of the day there was also some fun within the office which made the day better.
Review of BNSF
Class One Freight Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Richmond, CAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: healthcare, security, and relationship you build
Cons: schedule
*Typical day at work would be i get called on duty and i would either take a train from my on duty location out of town, or work in the classification yard switching car.
* I learned to work safely and efficiently how to work within the rules set by FRA with train movements, and focus on the task at hand.
* Management was good for the most part and i would help new managers since i was a long time employee.
* Co-works were the most enjoyable part of the job.
* The hardest part of the job was the inconsistent and varied schedule.
* Best part of the job is the co-works
just a number
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKJuly 28, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: horrible schedule, bad management, secure, but not secure seniority system
Worked here almost 4 years. Not a good environment. Management are hired from young college age and not promoted from crafts leading to a disconnect between crafts and those who try to manage them. Lifestyle is not acceptable with the schedule and lack of time at home. The only reason people stay is for the compensation, but pay isn't as lucrative as you might think after you are taxed, railroad mandatory retirement tier 1 and 2, union dues, and health care are taken out.
If you want a blue collar, average bring-home salary, dead-end job with little to no chance of promotion with a dictating schedule, this may be okay for you.
Productive Workplace
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee), Springfield, MOJuly 23, 2015
Take trains to multiple places over Missouri. You work with new people almost everyday, so you are constantly meeting new people.
Good Workplace
Conductor (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 22, 2015
Enjoyable to work with a group of people

A typical day at work is going over briefing with crew and management and work for up to 12 hours a day
Productive, very physical job
Conductor (Former Employee), Superior, WisconsinJuly 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, pay, travel
We deliver freight to and from industries across Twin Cities Division. I monitor the speed of the train and ensure there are know activities going on to prevent us from making it to our destination.
There are many rules we must follow to secure our safety and others. I've learned to pay more attention to details, follow instructions, and don't take short cuts.
The hardest part of the job is not knowing when you work next and being on call. Its very important that you get the right amount arrest so you're able to function.
The most enjoyable part of the job is I work in a small group setting .
Away from home half your life, But paid very well for the trouble!
conductor (Former Employee), Winslow, AZJuly 17, 2015
Pros: PAY!
Cons: Railroading is a Lifestyle not a job.
Its a great job but it takes a certain personality type. living in hotel one day and home the next, attached to the phone 24/7, on call any time day or night. I was home for Christmas 5 times in 13 years. the job is easy, but complying with rules and regulations that change monthly and dealing with a culture of threats coming form both government and railroad makes for a stressful lifestyle! That said you can make 2-3k a week! yes I said a WEEK. But you will keep about 60% after unions, government, and everyone else gets their piece of your pie. retirement is great if you can last that long 30yrs/ 60yrs old!
bnsf
Conductor May 2013, Promoted Engineer May 2014 (Current Employee), Denver, COJuly 16, 2015
pay is great hours are horrible if you don't have seniority you don't have a job and if your a family man this job is not for you.
biggest mistake of my life
Conductor (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 14, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: impossible to hold a position
Management makes up the rules as they go. You do NOT have a consistent job. When you take a new job you work for FREE until you're "qualified" for it, as soon as you get qualified, someone else takes it from you and you have to start all over again. Forget about your family because you have to be available for work 24/7 365. Worked here for a year and probably only been paid 10 times.
Headquarters