BNSF Railway Employee Reviews in United States

productive and good pay
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Guernsey, WYAugust 18, 2016
i really enjoyed this job. liked all the physical work and excersise i got from this job.this job was a great paying job with great benifits.most of the people i worked with were good people.the onlt reason im not still working there is i was rear ended by a motorhome and had to have back surgery so i could not lift 100 lbs anymore.
Cons
being on call
Good Place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCAugust 18, 2016
Great Company. They also let you work from home. You make your own possibilities on making money. I would recommend this place.
good place to work
engineer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 17, 2016
good career, lots of good people and money to be made. its a very rewarding career. it was one of the most interesting jobs ive ever had.
Great co-workers, multiple job tasks with good benefits
Freight Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 29, 2016
Great place to work. Starting out is very unstable job security but I does have good pay/benefits. the Railroad is a 24/7 365 operation which requires you to work all hours of the day but the hardest part is that it is a "on call" type of job.
Great people to work with
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 20, 2016
I have learned a lot working at BNSF it was a great place to work and earn fair wages. Some jobs are scheduled some are on call. I really loved the extra board. Some days a call would not come and you still get paid for that day.
Pros
Great place to make a lot of money
Cons
Your time is not your own be prepared to be called at anytime
Great Benefits, Financially Stable
Stationary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 13, 2016
I am interested in working for companies that provide an excellent benefit package as well as competitive wages that attract and retain talented individuals.
work life balance
Project Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 5, 2016
BNSF is a 7 day a week, 24 hour operation so holidays are worked which is the hardest part of the job.. Most employees are professional and friendly.
Pros
other employees
Cons
hours
Great company to work for.
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Edgemont, SDJune 23, 2016
Great pay and wonderful benefits. This company stressed on the job safety. All employees got along very well. The railroad definitely keeps American moving.
Always Different
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Teague, TXJune 12, 2016
Very fast paced and fun working environment. Sometimes inconvenient due to calling in the middle of the night. wonderful benefit packages and working for a Union is different but cool
Pros
Free Gatorade
Cons
Inconvenience sometimes due to calling in the middle of the night
good
GIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 6, 2016
good place to work.
ESRI Arc objects, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Portal, ESRI ArcGIS Desktop/ ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Engine, Python, ESRI ArcSDE, Global Mapper, QGIS, Google Earth, Google Maps API, FME, Open Layers, AutoCAD, Web AppBuilder, JavaScript API, JQuery, DOJO, HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JSON, Firebug, Angular JS, uDIG, GITHUB, GeoJSON
Positive Train Control ETMS Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 1, 2016
Amazing management and co-workers, but things have been a little slow lately so it's hard to have a full grasp on the typical day.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great management
Cons
job security due to economy
Many opportunities available and a great career
Yardmaster (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 28, 2016
I highly recommend the BNSF Railway company. I worked at the BNSF for nearly 18 years, started in Maintenance of Way, move to Conductor then to Yardmaster in just under three years. Worked as a Yardmaster for 15 years and love every minute of it. Due to the unfortunate event called divorce, being unable to cope with the loss of my marriage I lost my way. Long story short, I regret having to resign every day of my life. Things are good now and looking to move on but go for it. ITs a great place to work.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Must be willing to travel and your spouse should be open minded to you being gone sometimes
Conductor Of the Fright Rail Switchman
Conductor/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 25, 2016
On call 24/7 365 a yr . To handle all trains ordered to you in a safe and compliant Fashion. And to Handle All Switching in accordance with FRA Rules for Switch List Given from Yard Master
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
No Life At home not for Family People
Bad Management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 25, 2016
The management has a do as I say not as I do style. They need to head out of the clouds and led. Also, they dont make sound business decisions. The excuse is "The railroad industry has been around for 150 years. It's not going any where."
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Many employees have a God complex.
Great work environment, potential to progress.
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX 76131May 23, 2016
I got to work with great people, while learning how to move a train across the bnsf system.
A typical day involved a safety briefing from one of the great supervisors at the terminal. After briefing we received a list of our work. As team we completed the tasks in a timely manner.
Pros
Great environment to work, enjoyable work.
Cons
No stability
great job
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2016
great company, i would recommend this company to anybody looking to get into the railroad industry. Union job so the only bad thing is that you can be furlough (laid off) at any given time
Job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 21, 2016
And oil company located throughout the world and they fractured the wells for production. They are located all over Texas and the world and have many teams set up for service.
casual work enviroment
Account manager/ Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Kernersville, NCMay 21, 2016
freedom to acquire my own accounts. Casual work enviroment. Lots of phone activity with out bound calls and numerous inbound calls.
same
TRAIN DISPATCHER (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 19, 2016
same review that I wrote before. they have a free gym for employees. They offer a cafeteria.You can not take lunch breaks.
Current Management is the Problem
Locomotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 18, 2016
The location where I worked as a locomotive mechanic, in Commerce, CA, has the worst management I've ever encountered on a job. This is the Mechanical Facility at 6300 Sheila Street. I worked in their shop, and the main problem with the managers is that they create a hostile work environment by grossly mismanagement the facility. Workers are treated to conditions where tools are constantly having to be hunted down, the tools that are available are not calibrated nor properly maintained or even tracked. Bringing this up to management is like talking to a brick wall. The daily job is so frustrating that most of the guys I worked with have given up trying to help solve the problem. For a craftsman who takes pride in his work, this place will kill your morale soon. I know of ten other workers who left this well-paying job in just one year for other opportunities due to the severe stress of the situation. The money just wasn't worth all of the trouble.
Pros
$30 per hour, Union Shop, Affordable Healthcare
Cons
Horrible Management and Demoralizing Environment

4.3