BNSF Railway

BNSF Railway Employer Reviews

Union Driven Work Place
Conductor (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSJuly 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits, pay, job security
Cons: bnsf management, union, hours
Felt like a daily fight between the BNSF and union workers. It appeared to be a struggle on who was in control all the time. There is no such thing as a typical day at the railroad. You would be on call 24 hrs a day and never know when you were getting called to work. It made it hard to plan a family life around this. After getting called into work – more... you would have 2hrs to report and then sit around for another hour waiting on job orders. There is never any rush and moves at a slow pace. The work is enjoyable but the hours are not and the management makes the place tough to enjoy. – less
Terrible workplace for family man.
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Sterling, COJuly 1, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: never home, spend 30 + hours in a hotel or bnsf complex. the hotels they put you up in of the poorest quality, most had bed bugs or were dirty and grungy.
Poor management. They prefer people without families so that they can work all the time without taking time off.
Productive and Great Place to work
Intermodal Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Cicero, ILJune 27, 2014
A typical day at work is filled with learning and new situations daily. Most days are spent preparing trains for movement to a different intermodal facility. Moving containers trackside with a hostler truck and putting them into the computer system as being moved so the cranes can see which containers have been brought out to the track.

Management – more... is very attentive to the workers needs and ensuring the safety of the workers. – less
Great learning experience
Mechanical Foreman I (Former Employee), Barstow, CAJune 25, 2014
Good company that taught me a lot about leadership. Opportunities for advancement are there, but were not in the field I wanted to be in.
life of a conductor
conductor (Current Employee), Brookfield, MOJune 24, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: everything else
I am on call 24/7/365, I never know when or where I will be going to work, or how long I will have a job before being laid off.
Tom's
Looking for to drive a van for railroaders (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 22, 2014
Pros: some routes are a lot different and some are not.
Cons: a/c don't work, heat don't work for operator, no heat for passengers, gauage lights out oil, volt, speedometer, r.p.m.
Up at 3:00 A.M. Get ready for work, eat some breakfast, make a sandwich for later.Go to work , punch in times a different days differ
Sunday is 07:25 punch have the bus pre tripped and go to first destination to start. Sunday is a long day 08:00 A.M. to 17:00 P.M.

Learn how to get along with passengers and get them to there destinations on time with – more... out a accident or being late.

Management: Isn't the very best to get along with or to tell you if you are doing a good job????

Co-workers : They very between men and women And when I started there my co-workers helped me when I was driving and now all the new drivers In return I help them . I get along with them all.

Hardest Part of job.
Is trying to keep some routes on time when the route is to long for 30 minutes to get back to ther next bus they have to catch and if they have an appointment to make and they don't make it we get blamed
for not getting them on time.

The Most enjoyable part of the job.
Is you meet some very interesting people and some not so interesting people, but all in all there are some very nice not so very nice people and there are days that you would like to see some of same people every day because they are nice and friendly. – less
Excellent Company.
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Amarillo, TexasMay 22, 2014
Great Company, Excellent Benefits, Long Hours, Work on call 24/7 holidays and weekends. Good retirement and 401k.
Political Company.
Conductor (Current Employee), Galveston, TXMay 17, 2014
Pros: co-workers/ pay
Cons: management
Dishonest management, outstanding co-workers. Great benefits.
Problem solver workplace
Yard Manager (Former Employee), Hebron, KYMay 13, 2014
Pros: alot of nice co-workers
Cons: contract ended
Never any room for growth with this company. Too many changes. The hardest part of the job was the hours I was working.
family orintanted
Rail Car Mechanic (Former Employee), Commerce, CAMay 8, 2014
Pros: like a family
Cons: long distance
work grave yard, inspector of mechanicals on trains, everything about trains and air brakes, great management team, great co-workers, working under trains, the people I worked with and the experience .
Great pay and benefits
Certified Train Conductor (Former Employee), Klamath Falls, ORApril 24, 2014
The only thing I can say is that this job isn't for everyone. Long hours and you constantly are worrying about if your job is on the line each day. poor leadership to put it politely.
Good place to work with
CHE - Crew Haulage Expenses (Former Employee), Dallas/FortWorth, TXApril 22, 2014
• Involved in the gathering of requirements and delivering design documents.
• Responsible for development of the application using EXT JS 3.4, Java Web Services – JAX WS as Business layer, TeraData SQL Server at the model and Plain JDBC in the data access layer.
Great place to launch your career and stick around
Manager, Finance (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 21, 2014
Pros: work/life balance, benefits, culture
Cons: spotty management, politics
Great and stable company. Competitive benefits and compensation. Good, diverse people. A lot of opportunity for growth if you seek it and work towards it.
Good company
Communications Technician (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAApril 17, 2014
Pros: stable work
liked working for the railroad. good people many different job types available. strong on safety.
not a great job
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee), Shelby, MTApril 7, 2014
Pros: discounted food
Cons: too cold
worked in a freezer for eight or ninr hrs a day stocking food. very cold and work that just beat your body up.
Hours of operation
Intermodal Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 2, 2014
Intermodal Equipment Operator, 2010 to present

— Drive 18 wheel yard hostling vehicles with trailing units from 20 ft up to 57 ft in length and weighing up to 65,000 lbs
— Use of an on-board computer peripheral to communicate with yard management computer system
— Work with the Intermodal Crane/Lift Equipment Operators assisting in the loading of trailers – more... and containers on/off railcars and chassis – less
Crew Planner (Former Employee), fort worth, txMarch 24, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: management
long hours with great benefits, management needs improvement
Stable
Locomotive Engineer, Conductor, Switchman (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 17, 2014
Rewarding job with rewarding pay. Poor quality of home life for conductor/engineers though. Company is so large that a lot of times feel like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.
Great Company
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee), Springdale, ARMarch 13, 2014
I like this compant but not as well as I like Transplace. My manager was very micro manging and I did not care for that.
Overall good work environment.
NCS GIS Data Editor (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 4, 2014
Overall good work environment. Pays decent and supervisors are pretty good to get along with. NCS department can be very fast pased at times, which is good.

1 2 3 4 5

About BNSF Railway

BNSF Railway is one of North America’s leading freight transportation companies, with a rail network of 32,500 route miles – Read more