BNSF Railway

BNSF Railway Employer Reviews

Hire to Fire but great benefits. Progress to management if you know someone
Conductor (Former Employee), Chicago, IL & Houston, TXAugust 22, 2014
Pros: great pay, medical, safety feeds
Cons: weather, management sucks
Great pay so money is not an issue. Working as a conductor you will make no less than 60k. Working in all weather conditions along with manual labor is not for everyone. Duties include building trains, switching rail cars and communicating via radio and hand signals.
Solid company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 15, 2014
Pros: stable and diversified company
Cons: constant management changes
A good place to work if you want a long term career. Company is diversified so very stable even during economic recessions.
Good Company
Positive Train Control Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 15, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: lots of travel
A good company to work for. They pay well and treat you well. Can't ask for much more.
fun challenging
signal apprentice (Former Employee), galesburghAugust 11, 2014
It was a very good company to work for. I had good folks working over me.
great company to work for
Machinist (Former Employee), Richmond, CAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: great company to work for
Cons: working in the cold and rain
i learned to be safe around moving equipment. a typical day included job briefing , plan of the day which was done by foreman. my co-workers were fun to work with,the hardest part of the job was working in inclement weather we did the job in the cold,rain ext.
CAREER
SUPERVISER/CARMAN/LABORER (Former Employee), Barstow, CAAugust 4, 2014
THIS IS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME TYPE OF JOB, ITS ACTUALLY A CAREER, DUE TO SOME PERSONAL SET BACKS I WAS UNABLE TO PURSUE IT
great benefits, and even better employees
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Havre, MTAugust 1, 2014
Pros: the people you work with, and the pride of moving america
Cons: job takes you away from family, and has no holidays off
great place to work your way up to whatever level you would like. always a chance for advancement. you learn to work with people of all walks of life. you will go home feeling proud of what you do, and of course, the paychecks are nice.
five stars
Signalmen (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSJuly 29, 2014
This Job required me to work from Coast to Coast , 8 days on six off outdoors in all weather conditions 10 hour days , Enjoyed it all except missing out on events I missed as Children were growing up .management pretty much let us do our job as they had faith in are work co workers you could spend years with on a job so you knew how each performed in – more... a crunch. weather would hamper and cause some work delay depending on location and time of year. the best part is when a location was completed and was tested to go into service, Knowing it was installed and wired correctly. – less
Productive place to work with good support from other contractors
Senior Supplier Analyst, Contract (Former Employee), Lenexa, KSJuly 28, 2014
Project improvement opportunities
Enhanced skills in project management
Management does not support contract workers
Co-workers within contract support eachother
Nice place to work
Track Inspector (Former Employee), York, NEJuly 23, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: management; no leadership
Good place to work; room for advancement. An interesting thing about it is that if you aren't happy where you are at, you can bid to a different job every two weeks if you are the senior guy bidding on the job.
All paths lead to Fort Worth
Railroader (Current Employee), The FieldJuly 22, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits, advancement opportunities (with a catch)
Cons: poor leadership, slow/unable/unwilling to change
BNSF is a very sound and reliable company with some challenges ahead. Unfortunately they seem to be in a cycle of advancing people that reinforce the status quo and where good enough is good enough. BNSF could be a GREAT company and has many dedicated people working there. It also appears that one cannot advance (with very VERY few exceptions) unless – more... you are willing to live in Fort Worth, TX which is a drawback for some. – less
Amazing team of Electricians, Machinist, and Labors. Very Diverse
Machinist / Relief Supervisor (Former Employee), Barstow, CAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: to work for the best in all aspects
By far the best opportunity in my mechanical career, I became one of the best 2 stroke/ 4 stroke machinist-Locomotive mechanic, during my career with BNSF. Really was the best time of my life, amazing opportunities. You will get everything out of what you put into your daily tasks, the best job I ever had.
Union Driven Work Place
Conductor (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSJuly 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits, pay, job security
Cons: bnsf management, union, hours
Felt like a daily fight between the BNSF and union workers. It appeared to be a struggle on who was in control all the time. There is no such thing as a typical day at the railroad. You would be on call 24 hrs a day and never know when you were getting called to work. It made it hard to plan a family life around this. After getting called into work – more... you would have 2hrs to report and then sit around for another hour waiting on job orders. There is never any rush and moves at a slow pace. The work is enjoyable but the hours are not and the management makes the place tough to enjoy. – less
Terrible workplace for family man.
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Sterling, COJuly 1, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: never home, spend 30 + hours in a hotel or bnsf complex. the hotels they put you up in of the poorest quality, most had bed bugs or were dirty and grungy.
Poor management. They prefer people without families so that they can work all the time without taking time off.
Productive and Great Place to work
Intermodal Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Cicero, ILJune 27, 2014
A typical day at work is filled with learning and new situations daily. Most days are spent preparing trains for movement to a different intermodal facility. Moving containers trackside with a hostler truck and putting them into the computer system as being moved so the cranes can see which containers have been brought out to the track.

Management – more... is very attentive to the workers needs and ensuring the safety of the workers. – less
Great learning experience
Mechanical Foreman I (Former Employee), Barstow, CAJune 25, 2014
Good company that taught me a lot about leadership. Opportunities for advancement are there, but were not in the field I wanted to be in.
life of a conductor
conductor (Current Employee), Brookfield, MOJune 24, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: everything else
I am on call 24/7/365, I never know when or where I will be going to work, or how long I will have a job before being laid off.
Tom's
Looking for to drive a van for railroaders (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 22, 2014
Pros: some routes are a lot different and some are not.
Cons: a/c don't work, heat don't work for operator, no heat for passengers, gauage lights out oil, volt, speedometer, r.p.m.
Up at 3:00 A.M. Get ready for work, eat some breakfast, make a sandwich for later.Go to work , punch in times a different days differ
Sunday is 07:25 punch have the bus pre tripped and go to first destination to start. Sunday is a long day 08:00 A.M. to 17:00 P.M.

Learn how to get along with passengers and get them to there destinations on time with – more... out a accident or being late.

Management: Isn't the very best to get along with or to tell you if you are doing a good job????

Co-workers : They very between men and women And when I started there my co-workers helped me when I was driving and now all the new drivers In return I help them . I get along with them all.

Hardest Part of job.
Is trying to keep some routes on time when the route is to long for 30 minutes to get back to ther next bus they have to catch and if they have an appointment to make and they don't make it we get blamed
for not getting them on time.

The Most enjoyable part of the job.
Is you meet some very interesting people and some not so interesting people, but all in all there are some very nice not so very nice people and there are days that you would like to see some of same people every day because they are nice and friendly. – less
Excellent Company.
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Amarillo, TexasMay 22, 2014
Great Company, Excellent Benefits, Long Hours, Work on call 24/7 holidays and weekends. Good retirement and 401k.
Political Company.
Conductor (Current Employee), Galveston, TXMay 17, 2014
Pros: co-workers/ pay
Cons: management
Dishonest management, outstanding co-workers. Great benefits.

About BNSF Railway

BNSF Railway is one of North America’s leading freight transportation companies, with a rail network of 32,500 route miles – Read more