BNSF Railway

BNSF Railway Employee Reviews

Productive work environment
Engineer/conductor (Former Employee), Minot, NDJune 22, 2015
Pros: $25 a day away from home, benefits, vacation, safe environment, friendly co-workers, etc.
Cons: Short notice for work.
I would get called for work and have 1 hour 15 min. to be to work, when I would get there i'd receive paper work of the train I would be handling. A train master (supervisor) would have a job briefing on working safely. I got along well with all of my co-workers and we all watch over each other for are safety. The hardest part working for BNSF is staying in different towns all of the time when working over the road, but it didn't take long to adapt to it. The most enjoyable part of my job is how friendly the co-workers are and management.
good place to work but not a good scope for growth in job development
BI Developer(SSRS/SSIS/SSAS) (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 10, 2015
good place to work but not a good scope for growth in job development but the management was good. the job culture was good
Was an interesting place to work
Certified Railroad Conductor (Former Employee), La Crosse, WIJune 9, 2015
Enjoyed the time training and learning about the railroad, the people where very helpful and experienced in the training classes.
you can make good money wokring for them
track maintainence (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 8, 2015
Pros: they pay very well
Cons: there are no breks
the co-workers there will help you no matter what the hardest part is the hours and the most enjoyable part is the paycheck
Great money
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 8, 2015
Pros: Money and benefits
Cons: Work/life balance, sense of achievement
You make a lot of money if you get on at the right time. Work-life balance isn't the greatest with the long hours and being away from home a lot. If you want a job that gives you any sort of sense of accomplishment, then this isn't for you. It is mostly a day consisting mundane tasks and the work isn't very hard, if you become an engineer at least you have to think a lot more and it keeps you awake. Always be prepared to get furloughed, it's going to happen and it will happen faster than you ever expect.
3PL brokering freight
Account Manager (Former Employee), Carson, CAJune 2, 2015
Inside sales with heavy outbound cold calling to companies that require inbound and outbound trucking needs for flatbed, dry van, LTL, and intermodal container movements via railroad.
Laid back work enviroment, needs to improve on management. Team ethics also needs improvement
Account Manager/Sales (Current Employee), Kernersville, NCJune 1, 2015
Pros: Flexabile hours and I really learned a lot
Cons: Team leaders, honesty, morale and advancement was terrible. Not in my situation, I seen others who deserved advancement, but was overlooked
I learned a lot in sales at BNSF Logestics, not part of the Railway. It is contracted through NC Agents. Very busy day, with cold calls to your customer. Finding your own frieght, then carrier, approving carrier, setting up appt times, negotiating rates and then seeing your freight from point A to point B. Collection issues and staying on top of your sales calls. A very demanding job, have to watch team leaders to make sure they arent contacting your leads or changing your commission on their benefit.
Strict Workplace, Strong Sense of Brotherhood among employees
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Minot, NDMay 30, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: work schedule
This job doesn't offer much by the way of free time or time off. Employees are on call 24/7/365 (this means all holidays).
The job can be physical, requiring employees to work in all weather conditions.
The pay is excellent. They definitely pay employees for the inconvenience of being on call and working all the time. Benefits are ok. Healthcare and dental improve over time. Company offers 401k, but doesn't match contribution.
There is a great sense of camaraderie among the employees.
Freight conductor
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Cicero, ILMay 28, 2015
on call 24/7 work all holidays/night/mornings
work in all elements of weather cold/hot/rain/snow
work long hours
switch cars out in yard
work safely
good place to work
conductor (Current Employee), Vancouver, WAMay 21, 2015
Good place to work. I like the people I work with an the environment that they provide. if you like the outdoors and don't mind to travel this is the job for you
Horrible company to work for
former employee (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 20, 2015
Pros: Parks is little better than industry standard
Cons: Extremly poor managment, backdated technology, caotic work enviornment, don't have proper sitting arrangement
This company is a horrible place to work for. Very poor work culture and extremely inefficient management. Most of the people in management has no clue about any technology or any management style. They just keep their job for years and years without really doing anything and supporting each other. This company is so chaotic that they even can't decide on a very simple thing. It's a very backward company and disastrous place to work for.
Exciting and demanding place to work
Divisional, Human Resources Director (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 15, 2015
BNSF Railway was an exciting and demanding place to work. Working their pushed me and allowed me to grow in ways that I had never dreamed possible.

Great group of people to work with that were always willing to lend a hand whenever necessary and open to trying new and creative ways to attract qualified candidates.
Friendly and Professional
HR Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 15, 2015
I learned more about the hiring process and how all of the steps of the process work. I also had the opportunity to learn and work in several different HR systems, old and new. My co-workers were all welcoming and helpful. Management was always very clear on their expectations of me. The hardest part of the job was knowing it was temporary as a contractor. I hated to leave.
Good benefits
Certified Train Conductor (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 6, 2015
As a conductor you go to school for several months before getting to do on the job training. The work is challenging but fun. Great place to retire from. A lot of time on the road and away from home. Furlough danger. Safety first.
Hard to get used to
Conductor/Brakeman/Switchman (Current Employee), Mandan, NDMay 6, 2015
Pros: Good pay and benefits
Cons: Extended Training and Furloughs
Hired out and after 15 weeks of OJT I was able to work 1 month before I was furloughed. Hardest part about the job is the amount of time spent away from home and the 24/7 on call.
you can make a lot of money.
Conductor/Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), chicagi ilMay 4, 2015
Good Company.
Awesome co-workers
Good Salary.
you may be working on call which means you'll have 2 hours to get to work from the time that your phone rings.
productive and fun
Laborer (Former Employee), Barstow, CAApril 29, 2015
Pros: paid lunches
Cons: working outdoors under any weather conditions
A typical day at work would be a job briefing at first then i would start my day in the warehouse department. I learned so much working for BNSF about all the work done on locomotives and what it takes to maintain. Management was great. Co-workers were always friendly and helpful. The hardest part was learning how the process work at the beginning. The most enjoyable part was working on my own.
Great Job
Conductor (Current Employee), Grand Forks, NDApril 24, 2015
Amazing job with amazing benefits. Pay is also great cannot say enough good things about this place. Great place to work.
Fun workplace; unfortunately growth is limited
Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 19, 2015
Pros: Occasional free lunches, young and fun culture
Cons: Occasional after-hours work, weekend expectations via email
Great, young, and fun workplace. Work-life balance is lacking but that is more of an industry downside, not a company downside. Company doesn't really have much room for growth. Good entry-level job for building up experience
Good pay and Benefite bad work life balance
Trainmaster (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 15, 2015
Pros: Pay and benefits
Cons: working hours
Typical day - 14 hours 0500-1900 or 1700-0700
What I learned - A great deal about safety
Management - Not bad at the mid level, not good at the upper level, bad at the lower level
Hardest part of the job - Learning all the union guide lines for employees
Most enjoyable part of the job - The train crews

About BNSF Railway

BNSF Railway is one of North America’s leading freight transportation companies, with a rail network of 32,500 route miles – Read more

BNSF Railway Salaries