BNSF Railway Employee Reviews

Productive and enjoyable work environment
Rail Logistics/Senior Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXSeptember 8, 2016
A broad overview of my primary responsibilities are to manage the loading and transport of wind turbine components on Class 1 railroads and to satisfy customer requirements in a timely and efficient manner.
I've obtained a tremendous amount of knowledge regarding the securement and movement of dimensional freight on rail.
My coworkers are pleasant and willing to share information and workloads as needed.
The most challenging part of my job is maintaining accurate, timely information to support customer requirements while ensuring a safe work environment and delivering timely project completions.
Pros
Great work environment
Easiest Job Ive had, Always room for improvement
Electrician (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 14, 2016
I've been here several years. Work in a shop and it is seniority driven which means you will have a bad schedule and will be at the bottom of the seniority list which is understandable you must put in your time.

Company- Good solid company to work for.
Work life balance - Out the door for a while
Hours - Not so good/Bad until you build senority
Pay- Good (62k+ yr) average 73K (Mechanical Dept)
Benefits- Good
Union- Yes

Working Conditions- Its loud, dirty, hands on, will work in all weather conditions. Company provides a lot of the gear needed to work in different inclement weather they "try" could do a little better but can't have it all. Working in a shop you can work indoors/outdoors.

Pension/Retirement- Yes once you retire your spouse also receives pension from the rail road since they take out of your check tier1 and tier2 (ex: you retire and take in 3k a month, then your spouse will get an additional 1.5k) on top of your 3k.

Shop environment- Enjoyable in regards to some bad apples and some pet foremans that's everywhere though. Overal its pretty chill. Safety 1st.

Foreman support- Slim to none works to our advantage. You will find yourself looking for some tools to get the job done but its ok we all get paid the same if we finish or not no need to rush perfection.

Downtime-Plenty you'll find yourself waiting on a craft to finish up there work so you can start yours sometimes, so take a seat and relax a bit.

Room to grow- Possible even better if you have college degree.

Stressful- Only if you make it. Come in do your assigned work and don't
  more... worry about how everyone else works. Basically mind your business.

Not sure why people complain I enjoy working here. I learned a lot and still learning . I've worked way harder jobs and got paid a lot less and did more. Always learning new things and not to many people can say they drive them and fix them. Pretty rewarding .

Overall in my opinion its a great company with some not so intelligent foremans that you can just get use to. Pay is good, retirement is good, schedule sux but will recommend for sure its an Ez job for the most part, if you don't know the job assignment don't stress it someone will figure it out.

Hope it helped. Good luck
Pros
Pay benefits retirement union
Cons
Schedule
Many opportunities available and a great career
Yardmaster (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 28, 2016
I highly recommend the BNSF Railway company. I worked at the BNSF for nearly 18 years, started in Maintenance of Way, move to Conductor then to Yardmaster in just under three years. Worked as a Yardmaster for 15 years and love every minute of it. Due to the unfortunate event called divorce, being unable to cope with the loss of my marriage I lost my way. Long story short, I regret having to resign every day of my life. Things are good now and looking to move on but go for it. ITs a great place to work.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Must be willing to travel and your spouse should be open minded to you being gone sometimes
Great work team, family feel on shifts
Intermodal Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2017
BNSF is a Safety first Organization that at times loses focus on safety and can put production first. It is an extremely dangerous place to work if you can not stay focused and abide by rules. Even then you must remain on your toes. Because it runs24/7 you may be there for at least 16 hours if needed. Your work team is your 2nd family, however the supervisors are not part.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Unsafe
A poor place to work if you're looking to grow profesionally
Information Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXJanuary 25, 2016
Not a good place to work if you're looking to expand upon your skill set. I worked there for 1.5 years and all they ever gave me was tedious data entry work. No chances to advance or grow professionally. Management is poor.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Railroad retirement tax takes a lot out of your paycheck. Limited room for growth and advancement.
Great pay and benefits but goodbye to life as you know it.
conductor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work involves switching cars around and building trains in the yard as a switchman, but as a conductor your more than likely going to just sit in the locomotive and make sure the Engineer is complying with all the rules while writing down all the signals and speed. I learned to run a remote box, and with the remote box you do the same job in the yard as an engineer, so all the boxes did was take away an engineers job. Management, its different everywhere you go, you have some that are great and you have others who are out to just fire you, plain and simple. The hardest part about the job is leaving your family at home. But the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I make enough to put food on the table and then some until like now where I am furloughed and there are zero benefits.
Fast paced envirnonemt
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WASeptember 29, 2016
You are away from home a lot
very strict safety rules
good pay and benefits
must be willing to travel
Fast paced environment and no room for errors
Great retirement
Current Management is the Problem
Locomotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 18, 2016
The location where I worked as a locomotive mechanic, in Commerce, CA, has the worst management I've ever encountered on a job. This is the Mechanical Facility at 6300 Sheila Street. I worked in their shop, and the main problem with the managers is that they create a hostile work environment by grossly mismanagement the facility. Workers are treated to conditions where tools are constantly having to be hunted down, the tools that are available are not calibrated nor properly maintained or even tracked. Bringing this up to management is like talking to a brick wall. The daily job is so frustrating that most of the guys I worked with have given up trying to help solve the problem. For a craftsman who takes pride in his work, this place will kill your morale soon. I know of ten other workers who left this well-paying job in just one year for other opportunities due to the severe stress of the situation. The money just wasn't worth all of the trouble.
Pros
$30 per hour, Union Shop, Affordable Healthcare
Cons
Horrible Management and Demoralizing Environment
productive
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2016
job safety briefings ,constant leadership training .management pretty good awesome coworkers. really long hours . meetings really good pay and safety meetings are awesomes
Pros
good benefits and great pay....
Cons
no work life balance
good place to work
engineer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 17, 2016
good career, lots of good people and money to be made. its a very rewarding career. it was one of the most interesting jobs ive ever had.
Great pay, poor lifestyle
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKSeptember 6, 2016
The job is fun and exciting, but the schedule and lifestyle makes it hard on a family. The job requires long hours and many nights away from home.
Great job.
Systems Developer (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 1, 2016
Great job, management doesn't seem to function well. Not a lot of leadership or organization. Work is slow at times. Great benefits and job security, but unless you are new, don't expect to advance fast.
Great Career, Great benefits
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cicero, ILJanuary 18, 2016
The hardest part of the job is the weather you have to endure. Other than that, one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever worked. If your working with a good crew that day, work can actually be pretty easy. I've been on 12 hr shifts where it felt like I would never get off and I've shown up to work for about an hr and got paid for 8 hours. Great work culture, staff and the training is A 1. They also have periods of furlough which I'm currently experiencing at the moment but other than that, great company to work for.
Pros
Culture, Management
Cons
Periods of furlough
Great Benefits, Financially Stable
Stationary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 13, 2016
I am interested in working for companies that provide an excellent benefit package as well as competitive wages that attract and retain talented individuals.
Not a monday thru Friday job, its a lifestyle
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2016
This is not the best job to mesh with family life and freedom to do things you want, in general. Due to this fact that you are away from family, friends and home a lot, you are compensated very well. It is a good paying job, with good benefits and a very good retirement. Although, as the title states, its not a Mon-Fri 9 to 5 job. You WILL work weekends, you WILL work holidays, you WILL miss out on things that you may want to do. Its not a lifestyle for everyone, nor every family, but it is possible to enjoy work.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long days, away from home, on-call 24/7/365
Serious workplace
Analytics Intern (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 21, 2016
Usually serious workplace.

Good thing about my work at BNSF Railway was the areas in which I was able to develop my skills in. I learnt Pandas framework, predictive modelling, forecasting models, and regression.

I also used my knowledge to implement many concepts I learned educationally.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Formal dress code
BNSF Railway is a good company to work for.
Laborer, Carman Welder, Supervisor,Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NE St Cloud,MN Grand Forks, NDAugust 3, 2015
Great company to work for. Had a wonderful career for 41 years until I retired. My duties covered a wide spectrum. Everything from sweeping floors to operating fork lifts and other big equipment. Dealt with railroad materials and coordinated movements of same.

As a carman welder did repair and maintenance on railway equipment. I've had supervisor training. I've written up bills on car repair. As a member of the safety and health team I was involved with facilitating for a few years.

I've worked at a number of locations. Through it all management was supportive. The BNSF Railway has good people running it and working at all levels.I am proud to have been a part of such a great company.
Pros
Good working conditions, good salary, safety minded.
Cons
Sent to a few locations that I'd rather not stay.
Great place for a young man to get a start
Maintenance of Way (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYDecember 26, 2016
This is a very demanding place to work. The home life suffers. The best thing about this job is that the retirement is great if you can live long enough to receive it.
Pros
great retirement
Cons
no homelife
Management will take advantage of you and lie to you
Agent Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARSeptember 21, 2016
I was more qualified than my peers and made less than them, did all their work. I got a better offer somewhere else and my boss said if I stayed the company would pay for my MBA program. When it came time for him to sign the paperwork he backtracked. Pay was poor, work environment was decent and co-workers were nice but I want a company that doesn't lie to me.
A very good company for employees, OK for contractors.
Senior IT Developer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 22, 2015
I worked on one of the best development teams in the company. Challenging and rewarding. This review is probably NOT typical due to the nature of the team. Which is heavily siloed, but has easy teamwork intercommunication.

Contractors aren't always treated well or paid well, but if you are an employee you are glued to the wall. I didn't see any turnover with employees which can be good and bad.

It is a quasi monopoly so there tends to be people who maintain or advance their positions based on politics and not competence.

There are some sacred cows that you should never disagree.

There are some people that are put into positions with little or no experience other than railroad experience. Just because you can do one job in a RR doesn't mean you can be anything else in the company.

Very little accountability, unless you are a contractor. Employees work long hours during crunch time and might be needed at anytime day or night.

I worked with some of the most brilliant people here and I worked with some who weren't so good and despite the issues mentioned, I would work at BNSF again, but would prefer that be as an employee.
Pros
Stable, reasonable pay, good benefits, nice HQ.
Cons
Political environment and no turnover leading to some poor performers but overall a great company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BNSF Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3