BNSF Railway Employee Reviews

Great Pay, one sided on advancement, Quality of life is lacking
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXMay 5, 2017
The company pays well and offers great pay steps. The insurance has went down over the past year and be sure to have a good savings if something goes wrong medically. It will cost you up front. If you enjoy family life and being a part of the family, you may want to consider a different line of work. There is no work-life balance. You will be married to the railroad. Management typically looks out for management.
Pros
Pay, co-workers
Cons
Cost of insurance, no work-life balance
Fulfilling job, with daily challenges!
Train Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 1, 2017
Everyday it is a new challenge, but the company has a great support system and team to accomplish those goals. There is multiple avenues to go down and get promoted to.
Terrible work life, but great money
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alliance, TXMay 1, 2017
Don't work here if you value your family. The pay is great, but at a terrible cost. I spent 7 years of my life here. I bought a house, nice truck and could provide for my family. In all it was not worth it. I missed way too much of my son growing up.
Pros
great benefits, lot of money
Cons
never home, high divorce rate, high death rate
No complaints
Sheet Metal Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 30, 2017
We get overlooked being employees repairing locomotives. The underbelly of the railroad. Typically you'll see or hear of people like conductors or engineers. Personally, this job suits me best. The railroad is a lifestyle as well as a job. Everything you are on the roster will be controlled by who was hired before you. This is a union shop and you pay your dues, which I think are reasonable. Get in at the right time and you could be getting days with weekends off sooner than later. Get in at the wrong time and you could become a vampire on midnights with unfavorable days off.

For mechanical employees though, you can plan your week. You have a set schedule, hours, and know what to expect. Where I work, the job is easy and the people are fantastic. All safety equipment is provided and tools to boot. Coming from construction, this is pud. There are busy days, but in contrast to reality not in my opinion.

Say what you will about your dream job, but I want money and security. Overtime is optional almost always and if you're in the right location or city, this nets a lifestyle I enjoy quite a lot. Retirement is great, as well as your benefits, though never a sure thing forever.

People come and go in management, but everything runs together and without us, nothing moves. In that regard things go quite smoothly and I have nothing bad to say about anyone around or above me. After ten years here, I hope to enjoy many more in this facility.
Pros
Paid lunches/Breaks, laid back fun and safe work environment, great people, pay and overtime pay, retirement, medical benefits
Cons
Hours/days off per seniority
Good long term benefits, but limited career opportunities.
Division Material Department Foreman (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 27, 2017
BNSF is a great company for those who are happy to hold the same position for 30 years. If you are unable to relocate to Fort Worth, TX, or unwilling to move across the country several times in your career, than advancement is difficult. The work culture might work for baby boomers, but i believe the company will struggle to attract millennials. The work life balance is not on par with other large employers. The benefits are great, excluding PTO.
Pros
Stable income with great long term benefits
Cons
Poor prospects for upward mobility. Outdated PTO benefits.
It'a not a bad place to be
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 26, 2017
Truly a decent place to work. Pay is ok, for the work I feel as if it should pay $10 more per hour. Retirement is possibly the best out there. Lower levels of management are unorganized and unfamiliar with the tasks they assign but most of them are fresh from college and willing to learn
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Shift work. Odd days off. Potiental of layoffs.
ONLY job that will hire you only to look for reasons to fire you
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXApril 24, 2017
Well at least they are honest and tell you when your hired that they will be trying to fire you. There were too many double standards for me there. Senior workers seemed to have pull there and were not faulted as much as newer employees and seemed to be able to get away with breaking the rules unlike some like me that had a target on their back. Plus you have to join a union. Texas is a right to work state but the railroad gets away with it since the Union HQ is not located in Texas. Plus they tried to tell me how to vote which turned me off to begin with. No personal life since you are on call all the time and a lot of the people ahead of you on the list lay off so you will be called to work often. Plenty of work for overtime if you want though. If you don't mind the stress of looking over your shoulder and can go without breaking ANY rule then you will be fine there. I averaged bring home about 1400 every two weeks. But the senior guys said they were making a 100k a year. I can only go by what I made but I pulled the short straw on seniority so......I was the lowest on the totem pole.
Pros
Good benefits and retirement
Cons
Always trying to catch you breaking rules to fire you!
just a number to the company lay offs were very big
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 24, 2017
company doesn't care that much about you just a number to them. I have seen many people laid off when work slowed down. Instead of keeping them around and paying them, they would lay off 4 to 8 months and people wouldn't come back then they would hire new people all over again. Good pay and benefits but long hours and a lot of time away from family home.
Pros
good benefits and pay
Cons
layoffs frequent within first couple years
Great job and people
Mechanical Foreman (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 19, 2017
Loved working here and learned a good deal of knowledge from those I supervised. The culture is great and with the exception of a few difficult employees who like to play games, they are good people.

They are very slow to change processes and don't take suggestions unless it comes from the mouth of a brown noser or one of the good old boys. Just before I left they were just starting to implement processes that I had suggested five years earlier when I first started working for them.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Upper management is a good old boys club and if not part of it you will suffer, Don't care about work-life balance.
Great Facilities
Conductor/Switch-man Remote Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 17, 2017
It is a fun place to work and very technical and needs your focus on safety,Its makes it very friendly as you work with same people all they time so your best friends and companions are here.They take good care and make sure the right safety gears are available for work 24/7
Pros
Great place they dont stress you on time but want you to work.
Cons
On call senior workers don't complain
Good secure place to work
Lead locomotive mechanic (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAApril 14, 2017
Only problem I had was the Union attitude. Save it for the next guy they cannot fire me I'm lazy today attitude. Hard to get in but once you do it's continued work. All tools are provided including all safety gear.
Pros
security
Cons
Union
Stressful, bogged down by the unions
Operations supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAApril 14, 2017
It was a great job, but stressful, bogged down by sorry union workers, but the pay and benefits were great. Not for everybody. A single person's job environment.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
work/life balance non-existent, the union is the killer of the american worker
Great environment, Steady work, and great employees as well as management
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2017
Great employment. You would not think that this is a federally mandated company the way they treat everyone like family. Whether you work directly under the same management or not. Loved my time with this company.
Good place to work.
Yardmaster/ Conductor (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 13, 2017
I'm able to provide a living for my family.
Very little oversight, self managing workforce. Schedule is difficult and requires a lot of time away from home and family. Pay is good. Long days on trains with hectic work schedules impacts morale. Front line managers should have more local control in my opinion. Benefits are good and the people overall are very kind.
benefits
Railroad Conductor / Engineer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Sweetwater, TXApril 12, 2017
This job is good for people to learn to be resourceful. You do not always have what makes the job easier at that time. It also teaches you to work with a large array of fellow employees daily.
benefits
Cons
hours
great career job
bridge inspector (Former Employee) –  Washington StateApril 7, 2017
Great safety minded company. Good job to raise a family with. Best training available on any job I've had. Sad to leave lost of advancement opportunities.
A good place to work for the benefits and the money.
Intermodel Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2017
I have worked for the company for almost 3 years and would say that my experience with the job has been good with the exception of a poor work/life balance.
Pros
Great benefits, good money.
Cons
poor work life balance, Forced overtime.
Good pay, bad company culture
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 4, 2017
While the pay is great, BNSF is lacking in company culture. Rigid 8-5 office environment with no opportunity to work from home. Very stingy with vacation days and company continues to lay off employees due to poor hiring planning.
Pros
High Salary
Cons
Vacation Days, No Flexibility
Good place
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 3, 2017
It is a nice place to work and people are good to you there. Lots of opportunity. I highly recommend it to anyone who lives in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Fast-paced
LEAD TRAINMASTER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 2, 2017
Working as a Trainmaster, expect 3 days on, 3 days off -- 12hr shifts and rotating from days to nights.

Fast-paced environment with numerous responsibilities
Pros
Great Location
Cons
Employees taking advantage of agreements

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BNSF Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3