BNSF Railway Employee Reviews

Good pay. Horrible management
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAFebruary 21, 2016
I love working for the railroad but management is horrendous. Employees are constantly looking over their shoulder, knowing that supervisors are trying to catch them doing something wrong. If not for the pay and benefits, they would find it difficult to staff
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Incompetent spiteful management
Great pay, rough lifestyle
Conductor/Trainman/Switchman (Current Employee) –  Needles, CAFebruary 17, 2016
It creates a rough lifestyle and work schedule. You spend alot of time away from home. But the pay and benefits are excellent.
fun to work for
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 16, 2016
The only problem I had was getting laid off during slow season. The environment was fun. The hours took getting used to but I was able to be home everyday.
Something new everyday
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDFebruary 10, 2016
Signal engineers to begin train runs, stop trains, or change speed, using telecommunications equipment or hand signals. Receive information regarding train or rail problems from dispatchers or from electronic monitoring devices. Direct and instruct workers engaged in yard activities, such as switching tracks, coupling and uncoupling cars, and routing inbound and outbound traffic. Keep records of the contents and destination of each train car, and make sure that cars are added or removed at proper points on routes. Receive instructions from dispatchers regarding trains' routes, timetables, and cargoes. Arrange for the removal of defective cars from trains at stations or stops. Document and prepare reports of accidents, unscheduled stops, or delays.
Overall a grat company.
Positive Train Control ETMS Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 7, 2016
Grateful of my job everyday. Good atmosphere and awesome people that make it enjoyable to work in a office environment. It's the first time I have found people that I can at least relate to on every day life, and some are even Vets which is nice.
great pay too much traveling
Signalman (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 6, 2016
A great for a single guy looking to see and eat his way through the country but not good for a family man who likes to be home.
Pros
great pay
Cons
travel alot
n/a
Railroad Conductor (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 3, 2016
Very hard working man and good ran business. Taught me a lot about common sense and working hard. Definately made me want to get a degree, tough way to make a living.
A lot of work and great pay.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 1, 2016
Not much home time. A lot of work. Great pay and benefits. Excellent hours of service laws in place. The vans we ride in are dangerous sleepy drivers with very little pay.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
No home life
Good job in the area
CONDUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJanuary 26, 2016
Ground crews and work force are good to work with, but there is an excess of management for what is needed to keep work efficient and productive. You work a lot if you want to make more money and are gone quite a bit when working on the road
A poor place to work if you're looking to grow profesionally
Information Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXJanuary 25, 2016
Not a good place to work if you're looking to expand upon your skill set. I worked there for 1.5 years and all they ever gave me was tedious data entry work. No chances to advance or grow professionally. Management is poor.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Railroad retirement tax takes a lot out of your paycheck. Limited room for growth and advancement.
Rules on Rules
Carman (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 24, 2016
Not a bad job work wise. From the time you hire the company will beat you up with rules. Safety is a big deal but not because they care only because of legality purposes.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
terrible management
Good Gig
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Edgemont, SDJanuary 23, 2016
Good job, hours can be long and late. A 24/7/365 job that doesn't have a set schedule. Away from home longer than you're home.
Conservative, political yet fun environment to work
Manager Marketing (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work would include researching markets, speaking with customers and sales and other railroad counterparts, evaluating rates, market and rate forecasting, and strategic planning for multiple commodities.
Pros
Salary, good employee base, great place to learn
Cons
Company politics, conservative work environment
Great pay and benefits but goodbye to life as you know it.
conductor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work involves switching cars around and building trains in the yard as a switchman, but as a conductor your more than likely going to just sit in the locomotive and make sure the Engineer is complying with all the rules while writing down all the signals and speed. I learned to run a remote box, and with the remote box you do the same job in the yard as an engineer, so all the boxes did was take away an engineers job. Management, its different everywhere you go, you have some that are great and you have others who are out to just fire you, plain and simple. The hardest part about the job is leaving your family at home. But the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I make enough to put food on the table and then some until like now where I am furloughed and there are zero benefits.
Exciting job that I was glad to go to!
Garnishment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 18, 2016
My typical day at BNSF was to work with the payroll department talk with creditors and employees in regards to garnishment issues, timekeeping, etc. The entire finance group worked together to make the work easier for everyone and to make everyone's day go smoother.
Pros
Great work team.
Zzzzzz
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 18, 2016
If you like being on call 24/7 365 then its great. Pays Good but schedule is terrible. No family life. Company Doesn't care for its employees.
Great Career, Great benefits
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cicero, ILJanuary 18, 2016
The hardest part of the job is the weather you have to endure. Other than that, one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever worked. If your working with a good crew that day, work can actually be pretty easy. I've been on 12 hr shifts where it felt like I would never get off and I've shown up to work for about an hr and got paid for 8 hours. Great work culture, staff and the training is A 1. They also have periods of furlough which I'm currently experiencing at the moment but other than that, great company to work for.
Pros
Culture, Management
Cons
Periods of furlough
Good Company
UTU Safety Coordinator San Antonio (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 16, 2016
Good Company, Good People, and Good Benefits. BNSF has a lot of opportunities for those individuals that are hard works and team players.
No job security. Good place to work for periods of time.
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 14, 2016
Can be a good company to work for. After a couple of years you may have oportuities to work a set schedule and be home or stay on call and make big money. NO JOB SECURITY!!! Have been there for about 4 years. Was laid off for 10 months to start and another is coming now.
Cons
lay offs
Productive Company
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 12, 2016
I enjoy working as an Engineer/Conductor for BNSF it has been a great career. I do like being on call 24/7 and working nights.
Pros
Good Pay & Benefits
Cons
Furloughs

4.3