BNSF Railway Employee Reviews

Lucrative Career
Conductor (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 28, 2016
This career is for those who can wake up and do whats needed with very little notification with little to no schedule. Each person is sole responsible for every aspect of their employment.
Pros
Compensation
25 years with 12 plus years spent in Mangement
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 20, 2016
Recommend to stay in entry level management. Middle management not a great experience. Have worked all over the country with this company: North Dakota, California, St Louis, Fort Worth and Kansas City.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Work/life bal
Great place
GIS Publisher (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 18, 2016
Great place with great benefits. Laid back atmosphere, but the work is extremely important. Most employees are contractors. Work-Life balance is great.
Stressful
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 15, 2016
If working long thankless hours in the middle of the night while standing in the rain is worth the money to you then go for it. Also, good luck trying to juggle home and work. You're family will miss you.
Pros
Crews you work with are good people.
Cons
Not enough sleep or time with your family
Work Experience
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 6, 2016
BNSF Railway is a challenging yet rewarding work place to work at. There is great compensation and benefits available to all employees who work at the company.
Fast paced envirnonemt
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WASeptember 29, 2016
You are away from home a lot
very strict safety rules
good pay and benefits
must be willing to travel
Fast paced environment and no room for errors
Great retirement
Great company
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 27, 2016
Great company. Puts safety first and has many advancement opportunities. BNSF invests in employee training and the learning of all that work there.
lots of traveling
Hostler Helper (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILSeptember 26, 2016
This job is great if you are single. you travel a lot and the pay is ok. You are never home a lot but you get to see a lot of cool stuff traveling all over the country..
Very poor and unhealthy environment
Sr. SAP BI Lead and Architect (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 25, 2016
Very hard to work here. No ethics and the management does not provide any help nor any guidance for new starters . Everyday challenge to work here, since always layoffs and demand of work with no proper plan
Pros
Nothings
Cons
No work ethics, no cooperation
Most productive of all loco shops
Sheet Metal Worker (Current Employee) –  Alliance, NESeptember 25, 2016
It's a decent work environment, has most resources necessary for most jobs. Cleaner than most loco shops, management is questionable at times, but do good what what they're provided with. Overall, most tasks/jobs here are simple and fun. It's a nice job to have, pay is seemingly fair what what's required of you.
Pros
Good benefits, safety is heavily enforced, unions back employees
Cons
Union dues, some managers make poor choices, discipline used on some employees was unnecessary for what their violation was
Reasonably stable company
Manager, Equipment Utilization (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 24, 2016
BNSF is a stable company with decent pay and benefits. It's hard moving up the ladder unless you know the right people and a very conservation, political work climate. People are nice and I've made good friends and connections at the company.
Pros
Salary, benefits, well-known company in local area
Cons
Political environment, favorities, work life balance for those who work in operations
Management will take advantage of you and lie to you
Agent Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARSeptember 21, 2016
I was more qualified than my peers and made less than them, did all their work. I got a better offer somewhere else and my boss said if I stayed the company would pay for my MBA program. When it came time for him to sign the paperwork he backtracked. Pay was poor, work environment was decent and co-workers were nice but I want a company that doesn't lie to me.
Great company
Sales & Operational Consultant & Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Versailles, OHSeptember 21, 2016
I work with an agent for BNSF in his sales department so I am not directly associated with BNSF but I have worked with BNSF on the broker side of things for 10+ years and love them. They can do anything you need them to do... you just have to find the right agent.
Stable company
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 20, 2016
Stable company to work for, very rapid growth in the logistics and international division. overall culture is pretty good in the development side.
Demanding and Fast Paced
Account Manager / Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carson, CASeptember 17, 2016
Fun and easy company to work for if you're on top of your A game. Be competent and knowledgeable of the industry and you'll do great.
Easiest Job Ive had, Always room for improvement
Electrician (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 14, 2016
I've been here several years. Work in a shop and it is seniority driven which means you will have a bad schedule and will be at the bottom of the seniority list which is understandable you must put in your time.

Company- Good solid company to work for.
Work life balance - Out the door for a while
Hours - Not so good/Bad until you build senority
Pay- Good (62k+ yr) average 73K (Mechanical Dept)
Benefits- Good
Union- Yes

Working Conditions- Its loud, dirty, hands on, will work in all weather conditions. Company provides a lot of the gear needed to work in different inclement weather they "try" could do a little better but can't have it all. Working in a shop you can work indoors/outdoors.

Pension/Retirement- Yes once you retire your spouse also receives pension from the rail road since they take out of your check tier1 and tier2 (ex: you retire and take in 3k a month, then your spouse will get an additional 1.5k) on top of your 3k.

Shop environment- Enjoyable in regards to some bad apples and some pet foremans that's everywhere though. Overal its pretty chill. Safety 1st.

Foreman support- Slim to none works to our advantage. You will find yourself looking for some tools to get the job done but its ok we all get paid the same if we finish or not no need to rush perfection.

Downtime-Plenty you'll find yourself waiting on a craft to finish up there work so you can start yours sometimes, so take a seat and relax a bit.

Room to grow- Possible even better if you have college degree.

Stressful- Only if you make it. Come in do your assigned work and don't
  more... worry about how everyone else works. Basically mind your business.

Not sure why people complain I enjoy working here. I learned a lot and still learning . I've worked way harder jobs and got paid a lot less and did more. Always learning new things and not to many people can say they drive them and fix them. Pretty rewarding .

Overall in my opinion its a great company with some not so intelligent foremans that you can just get use to. Pay is good, retirement is good, schedule sux but will recommend for sure its an Ez job for the most part, if you don't know the job assignment don't stress it someone will figure it out.

Hope it helped. Good luck
Pros
Pay benefits retirement union
Cons
Schedule
Challenging open atmosphere, not able to advance?
Government Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 14, 2016
Great reputation, great people, just centered on "degree" and not life/work experience. I am a government based analyst that reviews all lawsuit claims. I do like my job and after almost 5 years was hoping for advancement in the Law/Medical areas.
Pros
Benefits/hours
Cons
Advancement drawbacks
Highly Political
SAP Project Manager - (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 10, 2016
Very little work life balance and extremely political environment can create a highly stressful atmosphere.

On the upside, it is a highly diversified environment and I have been fortunate enough to learn and grow
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Rail Logistics/Senior Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXSeptember 8, 2016
A broad overview of my primary responsibilities are to manage the loading and transport of wind turbine components on Class 1 railroads and to satisfy customer requirements in a timely and efficient manner.
I've obtained a tremendous amount of knowledge regarding the securement and movement of dimensional freight on rail.
My coworkers are pleasant and willing to share information and workloads as needed.
The most challenging part of my job is maintaining accurate, timely information to support customer requirements while ensuring a safe work environment and delivering timely project completions.
Pros
Great work environment
Great pay, poor lifestyle
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKSeptember 6, 2016
The job is fun and exciting, but the schedule and lifestyle makes it hard on a family. The job requires long hours and many nights away from home.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BNSF Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9