BNY Mellon
1,111 reviews

BNY Mellon Employee Reviews

Review of BNY
Senior Fund Accountant (Current Employee), Lake Mary, FLJune 30, 2015
Pros: number of vacation days per year
Cons: you will only receive a 1 to 1.6 increase per year
you start at 9:00 AM and are out on most days by 6:30. However this is a daily deliverable so when you leave depends on the clients, which can make for some late nights. You are paid OT for extra hours worked.
Great benefits
Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2015
Pros: Constant training
Cons: Jobs dissolved without notice
BNY was a great opportunity. Great people. However, after Mellon's governance was adopted, the legacy employees were laid off slowly but surely. Unfortunate to watch older employees be removed from their desks without notice. Other than that, great place to work.
Company is going through a downsizing
Vice President (Former Employee), New York, New YorkJune 29, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Employees are always worried about being laid off.
Be careful, the company is always downsizing. Very low to no merit increases. Management by intimidation. Closing locations.
Information Security Specialist II (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 29, 2015
Pros: Mentoring
Cons: Salary
Wonderful Mentoring Program at Mellon Corp
See Resume
Worked successfully with multi business, multi city,multi departmental internal/external clients to establish dialogue, cooperation and compliance related to information security standards, policies and procedures as regulated by Comptroller of the Currency.
Provided (daily and after hours) technical (Helpdesk, Administrative, Desktop, Information – more... Security) support for multi business, multi city, multi departmental internal/external clients as an ongoing day to day and business recovery expert.
Successfully provided expert technical support for interdepartmental inter campus PC refurbish project
Provided expert technical support for Microsoft Mail during the relocation of corporate offices to a new campus.
Maintained successful application/telecommunication support for multi departmental, multi city, multi vendor Stratus M5 telecommunication platform. – less
Not satisfied with the company. ”
Eagle Investment Consultant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh PAJune 24, 2015
Pros: no pros
Cons: everything above
There is no room for GROWTH. Plenty of talk but no regard for work life balance (in the technology sector). Indian Culture.
Productive and Team oriented.
Control and Reporting Analyst (Former Employee), 2 Hanson Place, Brooklyn, NY 11217June 23, 2015
Pros: Working with such a great manager and team!
Cons: Being layed off!
I loved my position at BNY Mellon and the Team I worked with. Our day was very busy but, never stressful.

Our department had team goals that were always followed through. Everyone knew each others job and was able to assist at any given moment. I truly learned the importance of teamwork.

Teamwork was easy for us because it started with management.

Working with and for my manager was awesome, – more... she seen my/our potential and challenged each of us as individuals to accomplish our results-based goals. My manager allowed us to make our desk work for us by allowing us to actively seek better ways to perform our jobs.

Our team carried ourselves as adults and our manager respected us such. She would always say, I am not your superior, I am here to manage the department. Because of the respect we received and have for our manager the team would do anything to make the department and our manager look good.

The hardest part of my job was month-end. There was a lot of transactions that needed to be processed same-day. But, it was handled!

The most enjoyable part of my job was the individual projects I was given and the accomplished end results. – less
Productive and fun work place
OBIEE Senior Developer (Former Employee), jersey city, NJJune 22, 2015
It is a good area where we can get the requirements under our own necessities.

Thanks for the support you are providing for us
Very structured and organized environment
Acct Setup & Control Mgr (VP) - Asset Servicing (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 20, 2015
BNYMellon is very organized and structured. You are shadowing peers however, the departments are prepared for new employees with desktop procedures and departmental procedures for employees to gain an understanding of what they are doing.
solve
Grade 1V Clerk, Stocks and Bondsn (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 20, 2015
Pros: Many times we worked late and dinner and car service were provided for us.
Cons: The package they give when I got layoff could of been better .
A typical day at work was helping customers solve their bond issues while preparing and setting interest rates for the upcoming monthly payments .It was hard work but we all worked well together to make sure the checks and wires went out on time. On those day no one went out for lunch someone cooked and lunch was serve.I have learned, that any thing in life can be accomplish ,when people work together in unity.
Productive, professional & supportive upper managment
Project Coordinator III (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 19, 2015
Creating agenda's, meeting's, PowerPoint's & Visio diagram's. Also creative thinking on white boards along with video chatting with India & the UK. Management is supportive and has an open door policy. Co-workers are helpful and always willing to lend a hand. This job can be stressful but it is rewarding to make our end user happy.
Not a good place to work.
Mutual Fund Accountant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 18, 2015
A waste of time. company does not respect work/life balance. Compensation is below street level. One of my biggest regrets!!!
Great company to work for
Senior Associate, Client Service Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2015
This is a very good company to work for. There are many different advancement opportunities available for career oriented people.
Lateral movements must be approved based on current department needs
Trade Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 16, 2015
Pros: Compensation
BNY Mellon promotes from within which leads to the best workers in supervisory positions regardless of experience. Procedures are written for compliance sake and understood only after the task has been learned.
Do not work in this department!
Office Assist./Vault Clerk (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 15, 2015
Pros: Lots of vacation days
Cons: Pretty much everything else
This department has turned into one of the worst jobs I have ever had. First off, most of the work that I do, at least, is mundane and rote, so if you want a job that stimulates your mind, this is not the place to go. Furthermore, there has been a steady downgrade in respect for workers in terms of expectations and their basic rights. We have been chronically under-staffed for months; it started – more... in the fall, got steadily worse, and has only in the past month begun bringing in new employees. At the same time, work loads have increased. Yet employees have been expected to get it done in the same time frame, despite there being fewer people managing higher volume. Plus there has been a steady stream of endless side projects which have taken people away from their work and cut into time further, and they were told to just neglect said work and do the side projects... then people would talk about why the work wasn't getting done. As well as showing a deplorable tendency to not start those projects until the last minute. In January, when things really took a turn for the worse, we were told we had to find and release a load of multiple thousand files in a couple weeks... and the message said the deadline had been established a good couple months ago. Why wait so long to start working on it, then?
As a whole, some management works very hard, but many others just do not seem to be good at managing time. There's a lot of micro-management in this department, as it's been made clear employees are not seen as trustworthy. Some did take advantage and/or break rules, but instead of dealing with them privately, everyone gets punished. Plus there has been a steady rise in demands on personal time and energy, to the point that there is no work-life balance to speak of. Life is work, in this department. As of this point in time, employees are expected to work basically every Saturday, a full eight-hour day. You are expected to have few schedule conflicts, and if you have any, you are in turn also expected to pick up extra hours to "make up for" non-attendance. It is now also customary to require employees to do ten-hour days instead of the eight established as customary, typically with little to no notice. Sometimes they tell us the day of. Recently they have also begun taking away our lunch break, telling us to eat at our desks and keep working- including on lengthened days. This is not just once or twice, it's the majority of an established work week. There is little to no understanding about conflict or difference of duties. Everyone is expected to march in lockstep, and questions are greatly discouraged. So much as a simple clarification can be seen as "questioning authority" and therefore insubordination. It's a very military atmosphere, where obedience is expected to be immediate and absolute, even blind. We are typically kept at least somewhat under-informed, where the management doesn't tell us more than they think we need to know, which is often not a lot.
In short, in this position you will be worked into the ground, receive no work-life balance, or respect as a basic human being or individual. You will be expected to be staunchly, blindly devoted to a position that enacts great demands on you for very little reward or gain in return. Employees are basically treated like mobile office equipment with no personal needs or requirements. I will note now other Mellon departments are not like this. I did contract work in two others, and they both treated me very well. But this department is a pit of despair, and unless serious changes are made in the way things are run, I would not recommend to anyone that they work there. You will very much regret it. – less
A comfortable place to work and grow in.
Tax Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 15, 2015
Would get in around 7:30am - 8am, and work until 4pm.
Usually eating eating breakfast at my desk before starting
work at 8am. I would focus on whatever my personal project
was at the time until one of the other team members brought up lunch or I remembered myself at around 12pm or so. The day
ended most always at 4pm unless there was need to do
overtime which might last until 6pm or so if it happened at all.
Great place to learn
Global Markets Operations Analyst I (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 15, 2015
Pros: decent pay
Cons: management is awful
Management is scary, every day is an emergency. Seems like the banks going up in flames.

With that being said there is a lot to do and a lot to learn from. Just never know when your job will be up on the line. Job security is poor.
N/A
Corporate Trust Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 15, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
BNY Mellon was a great company to work for. They offer comprehensive training which provides employees with the tools necessary to perform their job funcion, and a good benefit package as well.
A most enjoyable job.
Teller/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Oradell, NJJune 13, 2015
I arrived to work at 8 am and would start immediately. I learned the art of communication and to set up accounts for customers.My coworkers and management all worked well together. The hardest part of the job was to sell the customer stocks and bonds. The most enjoyable part of the job was just coming to work everyday.
nice people
Account Admin, Financial Institutions (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYJune 12, 2015
management styles and policies can vary wildly across departments. The company does seem to care about employees- retirement plan and alternative work schedules are great benefits. company offers casual dress code in most areas that aren't client facing every day. But other benefits are lacking and compensation is on the conservative side, depending on the location.
Provides the resources to learn new skills.
Benefit Payment Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 12, 2015
Pros: Friendly Work Atmosphere
Cons: No Opportunity for Advancement
A typical day at work consist of problem solving for clients that have issues. Along with the day-to-day processing of work. I have learned numerous aspects of the asset servicing industry. I value my time spent with the management personal/teams. They inspire my co-workers to reach our goals and pursue our dreams. The hardest part of my job is the lack of advancement in the company. At the end of the day the most enjoyable part of my job is the time spent learning and appreciating all that my co-workers do!

1 2 3 4 5

About BNY Mellon

WE’RE INVESTED IN OUR PEOPLE Client success begins with our people. That’s why we invest in the future of each – Read more

BNY Mellon Salaries