BNY Mellon Employee Reviews

Found 1,146 reviews matching the search
Stressful environment
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  US locationApril 17, 2015
Too many rules for such low pay. Managers knick pick and are constantly bothering you if they think you're not submissive enough to them. She likes to yell and embarrass you in front of others, just because she has a loud voice.

The people are nice. But the managers make the office very political and people are afraid to even talk during work hours. They whisper or when the manager walks by, they say Sssshh, like you're gonna get it trouble for saying, how was your weekend.

Unexpected overtime, which is at least twice a week. And you won't know until 30 minutes before you get off that you need to work overtime.

They have insurance, but it takes a long time for them to process it. So you may have to wait 2-3 weeks before it's actually active.

Too political and the pay is only 10.00 an hour. Not enough pay to deal with the nonsense.
Pros
You get to leave at 3:00 on dayshift. Unless they call an unexpected hour or 2 overtime.
Cons
Short 30 minute lunch and 1, 15 minute break. Each second is timed.
stressful work environment
Itran Operator/Dmp Scanner/ Data Entry OP (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 12, 2014
I come in the morning around 7:40, we start at 8 am. I would go down and get the cart full of work for the day. Break down and pass out everyone's books. Handling reports, answer emails, put together the transmissions and daily audit reports from the day before because everything is a day behind. I key in data to either be deleted or added issues for the day. My supervisor on the input side really does not understand how to communicate with people. I have learned applications for the bank systems such as Peacock and Mockingbird (used to key in and look up data for missing information). Co-workers are friendly and reliable, hard working. Hardest part of my job would be tolerating being disrespected verbally, as if I had done something wrong when there is a simple solution to it all. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be a day when my supervisor in input is not in the office.
Pros
vacation days
Cons
being monitored for no apparent reason. spoken to disrespectfully.
Was told position was a "foot in the door to a great company"
Data Entry. (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMarch 20, 2013
Which was total BS. There was NO training in my dept. Granted the work was so dry and easy that a chimp could do it. No orientation.
Was there for nearly a month and the manager and supervisor still had not gotten computer access set up for any of us new hires.
Hired to do data entry and "open new accounts" instead spent 8 hours a day in front of a micro fiche machine. Overtime was basically mandatory. If you didnt work late or on the weekend you were treated like a pariah. Have a family or other commitments? Too bad. No opportunity for advancement. Supervisor was viscous. Most other supervisors would at least wait til someone left the room to talk badly about someone. Or go outside the building or room. Not the one I had. She would berate the "underlings" and talk about them without even a stage whisper.
Pros
none. even the cafe was expensive. couldnt bring food from home. no fridge
Cons
terrible supervisors. poor planning and management
Productive and Team oriented.
Control and Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  2 Hanson Place, Brooklyn, NY 11217June 23, 2015
I loved my position at BNY Mellon and the Team I worked with. Our day was very busy but, never stressful.

Our department had team goals that were always followed through. Everyone knew each others job and was able to assist at any given moment. I truly learned the importance of teamwork.

Teamwork was easy for us because it started with management.

Working with and for my manager was awesome, she seen my/our potential and challenged each of us as individuals to accomplish our results-based goals. My manager allowed us to make our desk work for us by allowing us to actively seek better ways to perform our jobs.

Our team carried ourselves as adults and our manager respected us such. She would always say, I am not your superior, I am here to manage the department. Because of the respect we received and have for our manager the team would do anything to make the department and our manager look good.

The hardest part of my job was month-end. There was a lot of transactions that needed to be processed same-day. But, it was handled!

The most enjoyable part of my job was the individual projects I was given and the accomplished end results.
Pros
Working with such a great manager and team!
Cons
Being layed off!
Senior Financial Analyst/Business Analyst – Temporary Position
Senior Financial Analyst/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2013
• Analyzed and interpreted monthly variances and trends between budgets, actual and prior results in developing projections forecast using PeopleSoft
• Worked with Finance and IT team in implementing and testing the BlackLine software for BNY
• Collected the requirements and designed the automation documents (BRD) for the Finance projects/systems implementation
• Communicated with the Corporate Finance department to better understand the final product requirements, and worked closely with the technical team to automate/enhance the company’s financial reporting tools
• Gathered technical/functional requirements for the migration from Excel and PeopleSoft to Blackline
• Monitored the transition of the project, ensured that all the stages are completed within the agreed timeline
• Gathered business/functional requirements for monthly financial reporting package
• Resolved organizational/technical issues related to the development process
• Recommended budget adjustments, and other cost improvements
• Analyzed financial data for the purpose of determining past versus current expenses
• Developed financial reports for forecasting and trending analysis
• Analyzed and reconciled expenditure, revenue accounts, and suspense accounts
• Prepared and verified Corporate Finance entity year-end audit documentation
• Performed financial analysis, cost and margin analysis
• Developed financial reports for forecasting and trending analysis
• Prepared the US GAAP financial statements during the month close process
Fast-paced and changing by the minute atmosphere
ESO Process Expert II (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 14, 2012
There are hundreds of internal and external customer transmissions we monitor daily, and customer support is provided via our hotline. A new website has been created, and we are in the process of converting thousands of users from 2 previous platforms onto our new site. The mornings are busy. We must confirm transmissions are successful, and if not alert the proper area that an issue has been discovered. Follow-up is required until the problem is resolved. I have improved my multi-tasking skills beyond what I expected. When issues arise we must be quick and precise while also manning the phones to support customers. Management and co-workers are team focused. We support our customers and each other every day. The thing I most enjoy is the technical experience I will take with me as I grow in my career.
Pros
provides a secure environment, and tuition reimbursement is easy and rewarding
Cons
opportunities to develop are hard to come by, and promotions are lateral ones
Always challenging
Senior Multimedia and Video Producer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 16, 2013
I had numerous short turn/ low budget challenges brought to me on a daily basis, to which I always stepped up with as much creativity as possible for a given project. Multi-tasking and quick and efficient decision making was a must here. As multiple levels of writers/management were added or got involved in the process above me, they restricted my creative freedom a bit and had their own directions I was to follow, but I was able to still make sure that a quality product was the final product even with huge technical and budgetary challenges. So I learned how to make a lot happen with limited resources. Had to remain flexible due to changing management structure and priorities.
Pros
some of the best coworkers around in the local office, felt like family, direct manager was very understanding and helpful as far as work/life balance.
Cons
because my skills were not the typical skillset for this company's workforce, advancement was not possible within it.
BAD IDEA>>> Don't work at BNY Mellon.
Collection Specialist, Documentary Collections (Former Employee) –  Oriskany, NYMarch 26, 2013
Pros** The benefits while working at BNY Mellon were wonderful, great vacation time and personal time, as well as paid holidays.

Cons** Micromanagement. Boss was constantly over your shoulder checking on what you were doing. Management paid more attention to details that did not pertain to job at hand. Personally my manager was awful. She had no idea what was going on in the department I worked in, and as far as I know still does not. She was the worst manager I've ever had the displeasure of working for. Trust me when I say this... don't do it. You are a robot working for a huge firm that does not give one iotta about you.

They promote from within if you like to kiss butt or you are incapable of having your own thoughts.

On the day they "let me go" I was late because I was going to have a health evaluation done that they required for health insurance.

AWFUL 6 YEARS OF MY LIFE!!!!

oh and they do not give raises.
Pros
benefits.
Cons
if you liked being watched go for it!
Not worth it
Securities Settlement Processor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 7, 2015
I worked here as a temp, in the year I was employed with this company, the turnover rate was above 37% in my department (17 people that I know of in a company wide department of 46, cut to 43 before I left) and you can make of that what you will. Though I will also say, that for a department of 10 employees and temps, there were 7 managers...so good luck with those TPS reports.

It definitely feels like they don't seem to have any concern for holding onto talent, and none of the employees seem to want to stick around. About once a month the computer system breaks in some fashion. And although you're only working 37.5 hours most weeks, it feels like there's a very poor work/life balance. Finally, their pay and benefits are below industry competitors.

It's certainly not the worst job I've had, but I would recommend that if you're looking for a career, keep looking.
Good Work Life Balance but Minimal Room for Advancement
Portfolio Accountant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 17, 2014
There is minimal training when you first start your position. You mostly follow someone for a few days to see their daily activities & then it is up to you to ask questions. However, the responses you get are often varied person to person.

People become very good at their particular postion, but do not gain knowledge of the overall process. The staff and management are freindly & reliable overall. In order to get ahead & take on new tasks, you have to actively seek them out. Otherwise you will jsut be given more & more work of the same nature.

There is not a lot of emphasis on company pride & culture. It seems that most of what happens at the company is focused on the bottom line & not keeping employees happy or motivated. I'm aware this is the case at most financial firms, but is even more prevalent at BNY.
Pros
good work life balance, quality management & coworkers.
Cons
minimal room for advancement/learning, unpaid lunch & breaks you don't take, lower salaries than industry.
Mellon has peeled off its thick rind of banking services to expose the succulent fruit of its fee-based offerings. For more than 130 years, the compan
Data Modeler (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 26, 2014
• Involved with the Business Analysts’ team in requirements gathering and based on provided business requirements, defined detailed Technical specification documents.
• Developed Data Mapping, Data Governance, Transformation and Cleansing rules for the Master Data Management Architecture involving OLTP, ODS and OLAP.
• Created Logical and Physical Data Models by using Erwin r7.3 based on requirements analysis.
• Developed normalized Logical and Physical database models to design OLTP system for banking applications.
• Analyzed the Business information requirements and examined the OLAP source systems to identify the measures, dimensions and facts required for the reports.
• Performed the data source mapping.
• Utilized Power Designer’s forward/reverse engineering tools and target database schema conversion process.
• Documented logical, physical, relational and dimensional data models. Designed the data marts in dimensional data modeling using star and snowflake schemas.
• Redefined attributes and relationships in the model and cleansed unwanted tables/columns as part of data analysis responsibilities.
• Review the data model with functional and technical team.
• Worked on the reporting requirements and involved in generating the reports for the Data Model.
Very interesting and memorable days
Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMarch 25, 2014
If you like a change from the ordinary BNYMellon is for you. I worked for them servicing a well known mutual fund client. Each day had it's own unique challenges from deciphering client requests, late mail drops and a very brutal New England winter causing delays and power outages. Management could be better as there was a serious communication issue as well as less than professional attitude directed to the workers. Fortunately this was not always the case.

Co-workers are wonderful, always eager to help and learn new skills. Hardest part of the job does get back to the communication issues where management would make a decision one day and then reverse themselves the following day. Updates to the legal grids and procedure database did lessen these situations.

The most enjoyable part of the job was coming in to the staff who were happy to be at work and strived to do their best for our clients.
Structured Finance Experience
CDO Client Services Team Leader, VP (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2013
Visionary and motivational leader bringing a rare business acumen and record of achievements developed over 13 years of Investment Banking, Structured Finance experience in strategic planning, business development, project and product management, and system engineering strategies. A highly experienced individual who has demonstrated the ability to lead diverse teams of professionals to new levels of success in a highly sophisticated industry and fast-paced environments. Proven ability to successfully analyze an organization's critical business requirements, identify deficiencies and potential opportunities, and develop innovative and cost-effective solutions for enhancing competitiveness, increasing revenues, and improving client service offerings. International footprint experience in working overseas has well-equipped me to appreciate the cultural differences and the ability to lead and influence effectively to accomplish business objectives. Successfully oversaw the start-up and development of an off-shore launch. Growth and results focused. Regulation, Risk, Control & Compliance oriented.

Core Competencies:
Strategic Business Planning.
Operations Management.
Relationship Management.
Mentoring and Coaching.
Risk Control and Analysis.
Process Improvement.
You can do anything you want here
Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 27, 2013
This is an excellent place to hone your skills in any facet of the investment banking industry. If you are fresh out of college or are trying to get into the industry, you are in the right place. At least in IT, you can try your hand at just about anything you want. On desktop, everyone, Tier 1 or Tier 2, has the opportunity to create virtual servers, log into test routers, create virtual devices with any OS, try your hand at packaging software, anything. If you put your efforts in, you can gain real knowledge. Starting pay is just as low as anywhere else. The issue is that after learning so much and making yourself very marketable, you are still getting the same low salary. So, at this time many people in all departments are leaving. But then, if the company wants to train folks in all areas of investment banking for the competition, that's their business.
Pros
opportunity to learn all you want.
Cons
long days, no breaks. lunch in front of your computer working. lower than average pay.
Fun, yet challenging place to work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 17, 2015
As client Service Representative, my responsibility was to make sure the clients' transactions went through without any incidence and resolve any issues or questions that came up. I learned a lot about some of the financial aspects of running a business which was mostly investing. Management made sure there were a lot of training classes you could go to as well as required classes. They also worked with you if you had an appointment that you couldn't schedule outside work hours. My co-workers were eager to help each other out when needed. The hardest part of the job was the strict deadlines, but if you had things organized, and had a routine, it wasn't much of an issue unless the client called with a request at the last minute. What I liked most about the job was the chaos that comes along with time constraints as it made it challenging enough to make it fun.
Pros
The benefits were great.
Cons
The pay wasn't that good, but the benefits make up for it. Also it was only 37.5 hours a week without much chance of overtime.
Excellent company with great people, pay and benefits.
Business Unit Manager, Mutual Funds, Accounting (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLApril 28, 2012
Typical Day - Managed group of 15/20 accountants on multi-class mutual funds for corporate and state run pension programs. Accountants balanced daily, settled trades and paid monthly divs, along with audits, taxes and operational components.
Learned - much more in depth accounting standards and practices from a pension reporting view.
Management - excellence in upper management, support systems and planning.
Co-Workers- Helpful, yet very guarded. Smart group, but not a trusting group. Can explain in detail if interviewed.
Hardest part of Job- constant failure of conversion to new system, no back up system and lack of support from system services.
Most Enjoyable part of job- Working for BNY was a pleasure because upper management really cared and pushed me to achieve goals because they lead by example.
Pros
excellent company, good atmosphere (positive people), dedicated to staff' positive outlook
Cons
poor systems, poor testing and somewhat guarded co-managers
Expertise in Investment banking TradeFlow application production support
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Everett, MAMay 20, 2014
1. Work with peers in other regions for ''follow the sun'' support model
2. Coordinate with Business Analysts, Development & support team and tracked project status on regular basis and fixing the Production defects & processing Change Request
3. Integrate third party (Fiserv’s TradeFlow) solutions/upgrades with in-house system
4. Conducting training sessions for end users to make them aware of the latest changes made to the trade flow applications
5. Investigation of user queries and transactions failures via logs e.g. order issues, flow breaks, booking issues, Fixed Income, Swift validation, trade capture, retrieval of security details through trade enrichment, matching with broker through Local and Omgeo-Central Trade Matching, validation of Record Keeping and Settlement notifications to Custodians through swift and email/fax notifications
Pros
flexible, willing to learn new tools/technology, involvement in all the phases from design to deployment
Ideal Job For Me
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 28, 2013
I arrived at work at 7 a.m., I set up my cubicle desk that I sat at with my items that I would need when I proceed to enter data into the computer system. I would then sort the mail that has been delivered that week and that morning and sort them to where they needed to be. After going back to my desk, I signed in and started to enter data from mail that I was assigned to and enter the information into the computer.
I learned that one mistake can throw off a whole company especially being that we were entering amounts of money into the system, I learned accuracy and responsibility and also organization.
The managment was very helpful and dependable.
My co-workers were also very helpful and always helped me with questions that I had.
The most difficult part of my job was the amount of mail that you needed to have reported by a certain time.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the fast paced environment, the teamwork of all the employees to get in as much mail as possible each day and the accomplished feeling at the end of the day.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
pressure
Analyzing and Providing solution for both internal and external users
Senior Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2016
I am a self motivating individual, able to work with or without supervision. I see the big picture from a management perspective and take pride in making sure that the overall values and goals are followed.

I receive both emails and telephone calls from clients based in the US, Asia, and Europe. It is my responsibility to troubleshoot their issues, including, Printing, Browser Configuration, Firewall and Proxy recommendations, and Software Installation.

Currently the hardest part of my job is being restricted from doing more. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can make the client extremely happy.

My co-workers are like an extended family and we do our part to get the job done in a timely manner. Our management system is very focused and inline with our overall goals. The unfortunate problem is there is little room to advance.
Pros
Telecommuting, Work Life balance
Cons
Relocations.
BNY who?
Brand Marketing & Communications Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2015
THE BANK OF NEW YORK WAS A LAID BACK PLACE TO WORK THAT WAS UNTIL!!!! THEY MERGED WITH MELLON! THEY HAD A RESTING ROOM THAT WAS FILLED WITH OLD COUCHES AND BUGS! WHAT'S BETTER THAN THAT?

THEN CAME THE MERGER ......

A typical day at work at BNY MELLON was filled with drama, false accusations and bickering among employees and management. At times it became so hostile due to management fighting with each other to gain stature in their positions. It was by far the worst place i worked since i started my career in corporate america.

As far as learning experience they don't even invest in their employees unless they were caught doing something wrong and are mandated to a Anti-Money Laundering Class over and over!.

Zero advancement! Only advancement is going to another company and getting hired.
Pros
Christmas time when the vendors would take you out!
Cons
working for this company