BNY Mellon

1.3K reviews

BNY Mellon Employee Reviews

Found 1,146 reviews matching the search
Strong company with solid values, supportive management team, collaborative sales team and many opportunities for advancement.
Account Executive/Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJJuly 17, 2014
In almost 10 years of employment at the company, I covered six different industries in both a Prospector/New Business Development Officer and Account Relationship Manager role. I met, managed and supported a portfolio of over 300 clients during my time at the company. I was exposed to, nominated for and participated in a Leadership Program as well as numerous sales and development programs. The company supports top talent and management works hard to allow employees to reach their full potential. I was fortunate to work with an excellent sales team and incredible management team, who were open to sharing ideas and committed to getting the job done well. Sales is a dynamic, fun and often, challenging industry. Working with a group of intelligent, creative, innovative people made my job very enjoyable.
Just a job
Data Entry Operator II (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TxJanuary 31, 2012
Richardson location is not a great place to work. But it is a paycheck. Third shift management is a joke. They have taken away our music and they lie and say it is broken (it comes in over a satellite) they don't want us to talk, or stand (to keep ourselves awake). The body is naturally tuned to sleep at night, they think we aren't supposed to get sleepy at 3 or 4 am! Overtime is there when mail is plentiful but after working 8 hours it's sometimes hard to stay the additional, and sometimes required 2 hours (daily) overtime. Most of management is unprofessional. I have been there since May 2011 and am currently looking for something else. Good luck if you do gain employment with this company.
Pros
overtime
Cons
management
Okay Job
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYMay 18, 2013
First off, BNY Mellon is a great place to work if you have a good manager that actually wants to help you advance, but most do not. They prefer you sit in the same seat and rot for years. The compensation for what you are going to be doing is an absolute joke, and the raises are even more laughable. Even if you do advance they will give you the least amount possible, which is like most companies i guess. Most of the people you will work with have been there for years and are bitter people who just like to complain and are never optimistic about anything. Basically, if you want a 9-5 job that is okay and secure then this is the place for you, but it is not a place to make a career unless you have the right connections.
Pros
great work-life balance
Cons
management is a joke, advancing is next to impossible, pessimism is apparent everywhere, vastly underpaid for the responsibility.
Very busy workplace where there is always a problem that needs solved or someone to help
Securities Clearance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 22, 2012
Working at BNY Mellon has taught me a lot in regards to handling stress, and being able to juggle multiple tasks/deadlines at one time. Working in a team environment calls for very good communications in which there could be improvements in this area. The most difficult part of the job is being in front of a computer 5 days a week for 8 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co workers I work with. Even though our job can get very stressful at times we all still find ways to laugh and enjoy our days.
Pros
learning the life cycle of trades, relationships with clients, learning new technology, benefits and 401k
Cons
working at a computer all day, issues with communication across teams
Productive and good work/life balance
Application Architect/Vice President (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 25, 2015
My day starts as early as 6:00 AM EST to interact with offshore team located at Pune and Chennai India about ongoing projects and deep technical discussions. Go to onsite office after morning routines about 9:00 AM EST. During on-site hours, I discuss with project/qa/product team managers all development tasks.

I had great opportunity in BNY mellon to learn about Asset servicing/Treasury business model. Also, I have learned new technologies.

Co-workers are very nice and helping.

Hardest part of job is managing system environment health.

Overall, I enjoyed my current assignment but need to move up in my career.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
lack of opportunity for career advancement.
OTC pricing
OTC Derivatives Sr Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2014
Analyze complex trade tickets for OTC derivatives (i.e Options and Swaptions etc) and deliver proper templates to global vendors
▪ Review valuations from multiple sources (Markit, Bloomberg, Super Derivatives etc.) and calculate NAV impact for suspicious prices
▪ Provide solutions and models to data and pricing evaluation
▪ Liaise with client accounting and global vendors regarding pricing challenge, accounting inquiries and report on inconsistencies
▪ Establish and update pricing portfolios for the hedge fund area and potential clients
▪ Analyze market dynamics, pricing trends, and market opportunities in order to develop procedures and tools for pricing and quoting
▪ Collect statistical volatility of different asset types, to determine the accuracy of pricing information provided by vendors
▪ Implement new database development for the pricing process to reduce costs
▪ Coordinate with senior management and other departments to implement strategies aimed at improving efficiency and quality control
Not the best time to work for BYN Mellon.
GCO Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2014
BNY Mellon is a great starter company if you can live off of a very low salary while gaining experience. The company has been hit hard recently with near 0 interest rates and poor performance all around. They have addressed this problem by cut backs and layoffs without improving profit. The co-workers are all easy to get along with and enjoyable to be around but for every 4 people there is probably only 1 or 2 people working hard. There are also some areas where team members are actively looking to take credit for any work produces by the group in order to advance their own careers although I think this is typical of every company.
Fun and most conforfortable to work with BNY Mellon
Accounting & Reporting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Everett, MAMay 23, 2013
-BNY Mellon is the best diversity place to work. They have the very best of benefits. I started my financial experience from there and learnt to do valuation on financial statemments for clients.
-I learnt how to research, process and report accounting information to the clients.
-I acquired knowledge of financial securities language which I can utilize given a similar job opportunity in the financial services field.
-Management is a good listener and helps all wokers enjoy there committed work hours with confort and ease including renumeration for the work done.
-Co-workers are socially friendly creating a good working environment between co-workers and management.
- Hardest part of job is time of making the monthly reports which needs accuracy timely competence.
-Most enjoyable part of the day is when using vendor products like Bloomberg for analysis.
Big company with a lot of rules to follow
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2013
Cases have to be done in tamely manner. Working with a lot of different customer and investigating daily problems for different PO. Boxes. There is always something to learn each day, however the load of the work can be very overwhelming. Management needs improving, instead of initiating rules daily and scarring workers, the management has to start to listen to people what they want. The hardest part of the job is to make everyone happy, there is sometimes great deal of pressure and if it were not of some workers that make the place more enjoyable, the job would not be exciting. Most enjoyable part of the job, is the feeling of helping out the customer and solving any issues or problems in question.
Pros
eat at your desk, one hour lunch break
Cons
underpayed, no over time, favoritism
Very dynamic work environment
IT Knowledge Administrator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 13, 2016
MUST BE FLEXIBLE!

Speaking from an IT perspective. Be ready to change any moment of the day. Management is always ready to hear the next big idea. Number one rule... Don't be intimidated! Be self motivated! No one is going to give you anything. You can not work here and expect to "move up" by doing your basic day-to-day.

The most difficult part of the job is dealing with conservatives. This is a very conservative company (tenured employees), which means alot of 'red tape'. You must learn to be patient and approach and carry out every situation professionally because you can be on working with that person again down the link. It's also a great life lesson too.
Pros
Job Security, Benefits
Cons
Compensation compared to the market
Don't come unless you got a management position
Business Analyst Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2015
Never work in such a "bank" before. More like a prison rather than a bank.

Most people are doing tedious and extremely simple things day after day. Not technical at all.

The management even have separate restrooms which are locked from lower level workers. Hundreds of workers have to use 1 restroom. When some brave guys protest against that, the management explained that the locked restroom is for "client use". Shame on them.

Anyway, if you just have no other options at all, come here and pursue nothing but your below average pay and run away when you get another offer.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
The management show no care nor respect on employees, treat contractors even worse
Good place to work, raises aren't as good as they should be.
Work Lead (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2015
When I worked at BNY Mellon I really enjoyed what I did. A typical day at work would be processing checks and reconciling accounts. It was a good starter position for me to at least get my foot in the door in the corporate world. I was offered a promotion and became a work lead a year later. I gained a lot of responsibility and more skills to become a successful lead. However, with the amount of work I had thrown upon me daily, the pay could have been a little better. My co-workers were not as outgoing and motivated as I was so that was an issue due to laziness. Overall, working for Mellon was a great start for me and I enjoyed gaining as much experience as I did.
Pros
room to grow, good training, nice environment
Cons
low raises, healthcare
Exciting place to work
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 19, 2013
My day starts with an overview of what was handled overnight by our offshore staff, and what is left pending. I then go into checking the application logs to make sure all is well, proceeding into a health check of the system.

Depending on the current situation of the application, I will either move into metrics, development or more meetings based on upcoming deployments to be done on our system.

The hardest part of the job is being on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Although it can be enjoyable it does take time away from my personal life.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the problem solving. When a critical incident is taking place, figuring out what needs to be done to resolve the issue.
benefits
Cons
management structure
It was a great Company to work for. I made some lasting friends and learne alot
Office Manager/ Call Center Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJOctober 22, 2012
I was a workflow analysis. I received my work through that data.
What I received was hundreds of questions sent via email from the clients who have an employee stock option plans and clients. I responded via email or by making an outbound call.
I enjoyed my work and my co-workers we worked independently as Supervisors and also as a team in showing of production of our department.
The most difficult part in my work was in the last months, I was transferred to a new department because of the downsizing of the company and I had to perform accurately without proper training and the numbers were more important than the quality.
Pros
easy public transportation, great benefits and great growth opportunities
Cons
mostly all departments was outsourced
Get your foot in the door and transfer to Pittsburgh ( Corp Offices )
ISS Dept (Current Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYMay 8, 2012
You would think working for this company would be the highlight of your career, think again. I been here since this building opened in 2003 and I finally got my transfer approved to the Pittsburgh office. Now, that office is were you want to go. My advice, stay away from ISS / Investor Services.The entire department is constant disarray, poor management from team leaders to the department head.They need to totally clear management and rehire or even better, relocate the entire department to the Pittsburgh location. Other departments in the bank are defiantly better, have more team work and just happier in general. The one good thing is that most co-workers are willing to help and teach you and guide you.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
total management is a total joke. unqualified, uneducated and absolutly good for nothing
Horrible Culture
Technology (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMarch 7, 2012
This company lacks the "human element" of operations. The managers have absolutely no interest in grooming employees or offering any kind of mentoring. The majorifty of the Lake Mary office is comprised of transfers from up north (corporate headquarters). The employees that transferred to FL are very full of themselves. There are a great deal of seniority within the firm, but the "old timers" are not welcoming or helpful. Definitelty a "dog eat dog", "every man for himself" environment - no real feel of teamwork. Not a good place to work. The managers are incompetent and are placed in these roles due to tenure and "who they know" rather than truly having leadership abilities. If you want to be happy - look elsewhere.
Pros
above market pay
Cons
horrible culture
I gained a lot of experience and skills, including client service and management
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 8, 2014
A typical day required managing a group of client-facing employees that processed retirement plan distributions; it was fast-paced with multiple daily deadlines.
I learned a great deal in 401K and Pension trust disbursements, including 1099 and W2 reporting, as well as operational processes and procedures, including implemenation of an electronic workflow application. Additionally, I learned extensively about management, including employee training/coaching, development, and evaluating employee performance. I learned how to manage client service and new client conversions, as well as creating processes that mitigated risk of operational errors.
My co-workers and I had long tenures in the department and we had close connections
The hardest part of the job was balancing varied responsibilities that come with management in a client-facing operations department.
The most enjoyable part of the job was coaching and servicing co-workers and clients.
An equal opportunity employer with many opportunities
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 21, 2013
The global foot print of this company is recognized industry wide. BNY Mellon poses many different types of opportunities for those who seek a career in the Banking Industry. There is really not one typical day at work as the kinds of challenges comes across everyday is diversified and across the board. I've learnt a lot in dealing with internal clients as well as external clients. Co-workers are focused on team work and provide professional support whenever assisstance is needed. The managers are flexible enough to provide autonomy and empowers individuals to make certain decisions that brings value to the firm within acceptable levels of risk tolerance for the business.
Pros
many opportunities for career growth
Cons
multiple side projects, not enough work life balance
Great company to an extent.
Check Services Clerk IV (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2013
Repetitive work, able to finish work faster than most of my co-workers on a consistent basis.

Learned how to run queries and use Access, QMF, Hummingbird and Whitemail for doing deposits.

Management is fairly young, laid back only will be assertive when work needs done.

Co-workers are split between able to work and lazy. Laid back mentality, will wait to do things at the last minute, creating unnecessary stress.

Hardest part of my job is trying to accept that people are content with what they are doing instead of wanting to advance.

I am able to constantly improve in my quality of work.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
must stay in same position for one year before posting out.
Working in a producation enironment and everyone enjoying it
General Supervisor II / Trainer Wholesale Lock Box (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 20, 2013
A typical day would be entering data in computers checking various accounts for accuracy managing processors work for quality. Learning to stay in compliance with company's procedure and policy. My manager was great to work with she was personable and would glad to help you in any situation. My co-workers were willing to help each other when needed. The hardest part of my job was when I had to write somebody up because I had to follow procedures. The most enjoyable was my job environment we all just came together to get the job done,
Pros
having everybody working together and helping each other out.
Cons
being layed off after 15 years and the hour luch breaks