Boart Longyear

Boart Longyear Employer Reviews

get to work out doors with like minded people- not for the weak
Assistant Drill Operator (Former Employee), Peoria, AZJuly 14, 2014
Pros: good bonuses
Cons: long drives to remote regions
long weeks but at the same time they give perks and plenty of time to recover. I would go back if they called me up. advancement is there if you are hungry for the challenges faced. Safety is paramount!
I liked how they would always be willing to teach you about safety
Setter (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 14, 2014
Pros: bonuses
Cons: they laid people off all the time
fun place to work for co-worker were easy to get along they had a lots of overtime
Kept you on your toes.
Underground Driller (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 4, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: everything else
Company has taken a different direction. Not in the best interests of the employees. Very frustrating on a gamble of your life.
Supervision and Communication amongst work groups lame
Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: gossip in the form of negative overtures.
I remember coming into the company as a cold experience. People thought I was going to supplant them and they would have no duties thereby being eliminated. Although I did not propitiate this process personally, I did see this happening time and time again. People were very tentative to open up and provide counsel freely.
Management rarely trained their – more... employees upon arrival, similar employees would train new co-workers then be fired!
There was no incentive to share info freely with new employees as I had experienced first hand. Plus, there was almost no recognition provided for a job well done!
This culture lead most people into a bunker mentality where they just took care of their own set of responsibilities and avoided joining into work teams; work groups rarely interacted voluntarily.
This caused me great angst due to my formal training in Lean Six Sigma and my desire to do my job efficiently as well as strengthen the company using strategies I had learned. My emphasis on workplace cooperation and communication integration with the customer gradually diminished. Eventually, I sought work elsewhere that valued these traits including my highly tuned skills sets In the supply chain sector as advantages to my employer. – less
good work crew, senior management was below par
Senior driller (Former Employee), Newman, WAFebruary 17, 2014
I did enjoy working with boart but .....drilling issues took time to make decisions on
Assistant Driller
Door Builder (Former Employee), Elko, NVFebruary 9, 2014
Drilled holes for gold samples for mine. Long shifts and always on feet. Very physical job. Moved from site to site setting up drill rig and truck to drill holes. PPE required. Managed and ran crew while driller was drilling. Enjoyed working with and running crew.
Need to reestablish proper management and training
Clerk (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: good pay, good scheduling, good benefits.
Cons: miscommunication, poor management, poor training, poor processes
When I was hired to accomplish my duties and responsibilities of a clerk, the training was not formal nor accurate for the processes that were immediately and constantly ever-changing. While flexible, there was no proper training or process put into place. My original workload became a 3-4 person job with multiple tasks. I was trained by an employee – more... for one specific task, who was immediately let go after she had been replaced by her trainee, being myself. I learned that a large company ran by inexperienced males who are disorganized, unprofessional, and have little integrity do not intend the work to be a success, let alone their employees. Co-workers were often over worked, with little or no direction and overwhelmed. Hardest part of the job was communicating with supervisors to ensure processes were being put into place. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the employees and seeing positive outcomes from all of the hard work being put in. – less
Operations
NW - Operations Manager (Former Employee), Wilsonville, ORJanuary 13, 2014
• Operations Manager in Oregon with revenue in excess of 12 million.
• Direct contact for client’s relations to provide great customer service.
• Assist NW Corporate Zone Manager in budget and forecasting.
• Manage multi-site drilling services operations to ensure that executions of projects
are in compliance with contract terms and conditions –budgets.
 – more... Review field equipment orders, modify and expedite. Assess project needs
and deploy resources to best effect project needs.
• Ensure that daily reports are accurate and consistent complete billing and sign off with clients.
• Improved area safety recordable from 13.6 the first year to 0 for the next 23 months with no recordables.
• Responsible for a fleet of over 73 pieces of equipment along with 45 employees.
• Highly experienced in all aspects of core drilling & geotechnical drilling. Strong strengths in exploration drilling – bidding and estimating.
• Capable of working in team in accordance with tight schedules, budgets and strict safety regulations. – less
Integrated Drilling Company
Employee (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityJanuary 4, 2014
I enjoyed working with them for 20+ years. I worked with many divisions of the company both Products and Drilling Services. They have gone through a significant downsize and have had financial issues that have had a affect on the company globally.
Diesel Mechanic
Mechanic (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 17, 2013
Pros: managed my time
Cons: not enough work
Diagnose, troubleshoot, maintain equipment. light plants, mud/trash pumps, drill Riggs, electric generator, forklifts, winch trucks, sky track.

Work well with others.
boartlong year
drill helper (Former Employee), Elko, NVDecember 16, 2013
work on drill rigs at mine sites. lift 210 pounds drill pipes on drill rigs. mix drill mud drive heavy equipment
Good idea, bad practice
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Sandy, UTAugust 27, 2013
Pros: great pay
Cons: poor management, long (very long) work hours, little incentive to improve
This company has been under some intense pressure from the market and very poor leadership for some time. That being said, I believe in the people who work there and hope for all the best for them.
Worked and enjoyed the team camaraderie
Drillers Assistant (Former Employee), Peoria, AZAugust 12, 2013
add rods, pop the core, and mix mud. leaned new skills. the most difficult part of the job was maintaining hole conditions and the most enjoyable part of the job was the working side by side with my other crew members and feeling accomplished after a hard days work.
They don't value their employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 8, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: everything else
The team I supported changed 3 times in less than two years. Everyone is expendable. They pay well but work you to the bone.
Great comapny to work for.
Inside Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee), York, PAJuly 19, 2013
Pros: great co-workers and room for career growth.
Cons: n/a
Boart Longyear is a great company to work for. The work was very enjoyable.
Always gone
Core Driller I and RC Senior Helper (Former Employee), Elko, NV and Salt Lake City, UTJune 9, 2013
I would travel 22 days a month or more leaving little time for my wife and 3 sons. Although there is plenty of room for advancement in the field, the office is next to impossible to achieve.
Excellent company
Driller assistant (Former Employee), Elko, NVJune 3, 2013
Excellent place to work,good place to learn new tasks,organized company
really hard work, and dangerous
Driller's Helper (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 29, 2013
Pros: you make a ton of money
Cons: management is shady, long hours 14-18+, and back braking work
We would all wake up extremely early. head to the truck to head to go to the bus that heads to the job site. When we got there it all depends on if your tripping in or tripping out drilling rods. would mix drilling fluids the deeper we went into the mine.when were done with a hole we would plug the hole with cement.

I learned to work a fork lift, sky – more... track, backhoe, wench lines, and how to assist a driller.

Management was a bit unethical.

My co workers were great help out whn your starting great team work and look out for one another.

The whole job was the hardest part, but if i were to say anything was the hardest i would say tripping in or out.

The most enjoyable part of the job was ending a hitch. – less
GREAT COMPANY
QA Tester (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 14, 2013
GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR. GOOD ENVIRONMENT. VERY GOOD MANAGMENT
Somewhat chaotic work environment (for an intern)
Continuous Improvement Intern (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 4, 2013
Pros: benefits were good, even for an intern
Cons: graphite dust covers everything
As I have payed some attention over the years since I worked there it appears they follow a hire then fire cycle. When sales are up they hire a lot of employees, when sales drop for whatever reason they fire a lot of employees. It seems like the company creates a high turnover rate. Other than that, the company was fun to work for while doing my internship.

1 2 3 4

About Boart Longyear

Boart Longyear is the company to call if you need to dig yourself out of a big hole -- literally. The company manufactures drilling – Read more