Boart Longyear

Boart Longyear Employer Reviews

Very physically demanding but rewarding
Drillers Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 22, 2014
Had to assist the driller everyday with drill mud, tripping in and out of drill pipe every day
PRODUCTIVE AND GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT
Staff Accountant (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 25, 2014
STAFF MANAGERS AND PEER EMPLOYEES PROVIDE A GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT
Boart Longyear
AP Processor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 30, 2014
Pros: some very talented co-workers
Cons: lack of support from management
Data cleansing for the integration of a new operating system, Oracle
High entry volume (1500-2000, normal entry 800-1200) in preparation for the go live of Oracle 1/3/2011 US and Canada
PO reconciliations in MXP and Puridiom
Maintenance of Issue log for problems unable to be entered for payment
Detailed record keeping for the appropriate documentation – more... for all payments which are scanned and viewable in Accorde for audit purposes – less
hard work
driller heler (Former Employee), elko nvJuly 15, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: gone all the time
I worked 16 hrs a day no brakes 10 day on 4 day off I tosted 200 lbs pipe 100 time a day cot 200 or more samples my co-workers were awesome thing I liked most was I got payed realy well
get to work out doors with like minded people- not for the weak
Assistant Drill Operator (Former Employee), Peoria, AZJuly 14, 2014
Pros: good bonuses
Cons: long drives to remote regions
long weeks but at the same time they give perks and plenty of time to recover. I would go back if they called me up. advancement is there if you are hungry for the challenges faced. Safety is paramount!
I liked how they would always be willing to teach you about safety
Setter (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 14, 2014
Pros: bonuses
Cons: they laid people off all the time
fun place to work for co-worker were easy to get along they had a lots of overtime
Productive and fun to work with every part of the mining industry
Trainee Driller, Mechanical Maintenance. (Former Employee), mining iron and oreMarch 26, 2014
Pros: there is a rewqard in every successful task you perform or conduct in a safety way.
Cons: long hours, but you must look after number one first, and that is you.
Hard but fun , every days a new day I call it, 'TACKEL THE CHALANGE OF TOMORROW ',

I learned that's nothing is impossible, learn every task, no matter what level, and perform in a safety manner, will become possible to achieve .

The management are very professional in every way they conduct themselves throughout ,helpful with clear communication and – more... assuredly .

Co-worker are part of a family while you're away from your own, fun to work with, learn form them so they be able to teach others to do the same to improve the standard in the company and the industry.

The hardest part of the job is to not been able to be in two place at one, to help others while others need you at the same time,

The most enjoyable part of the job or any job is the dedicating of your knowledge to others so they will help other in many ways. – less
Kept you on your toes.
Underground Driller (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 4, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: everything else
Company has taken a different direction. Not in the best interests of the employees. Very frustrating on a gamble of your life.
Supervision and Communication amongst work groups lame
Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: gossip in the form of negative overtures.
I remember coming into the company as a cold experience. People thought I was going to supplant them and they would have no duties thereby being eliminated. Although I did not propitiate this process personally, I did see this happening time and time again. People were very tentative to open up and provide counsel freely.
Management rarely trained their – more... employees upon arrival, similar employees would train new co-workers then be fired!
There was no incentive to share info freely with new employees as I had experienced first hand. Plus, there was almost no recognition provided for a job well done!
This culture lead most people into a bunker mentality where they just took care of their own set of responsibilities and avoided joining into work teams; work groups rarely interacted voluntarily.
This caused me great angst due to my formal training in Lean Six Sigma and my desire to do my job efficiently as well as strengthen the company using strategies I had learned. My emphasis on workplace cooperation and communication integration with the customer gradually diminished. Eventually, I sought work elsewhere that valued these traits including my highly tuned skills sets In the supply chain sector as advantages to my employer. – less
good work crew, senior management was below par
Senior driller (Former Employee), Newman, WAFebruary 17, 2014
I did enjoy working with boart but .....drilling issues took time to make decisions on
Assistant Driller
Door Builder (Former Employee), Elko, NVFebruary 9, 2014
Drilled holes for gold samples for mine. Long shifts and always on feet. Very physical job. Moved from site to site setting up drill rig and truck to drill holes. PPE required. Managed and ran crew while driller was drilling. Enjoyed working with and running crew.
Need to reestablish proper management and training
Clerk (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: good pay, good scheduling, good benefits.
Cons: miscommunication, poor management, poor training, poor processes
When I was hired to accomplish my duties and responsibilities of a clerk, the training was not formal nor accurate for the processes that were immediately and constantly ever-changing. While flexible, there was no proper training or process put into place. My original workload became a 3-4 person job with multiple tasks. I was trained by an employee – more... for one specific task, who was immediately let go after she had been replaced by her trainee, being myself. I learned that a large company ran by inexperienced males who are disorganized, unprofessional, and have little integrity do not intend the work to be a success, let alone their employees. Co-workers were often over worked, with little or no direction and overwhelmed. Hardest part of the job was communicating with supervisors to ensure processes were being put into place. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the employees and seeing positive outcomes from all of the hard work being put in. – less
Operations
NW - Operations Manager (Former Employee), Wilsonville, ORJanuary 13, 2014
• Operations Manager in Oregon with revenue in excess of 12 million.
• Direct contact for client’s relations to provide great customer service.
• Assist NW Corporate Zone Manager in budget and forecasting.
• Manage multi-site drilling services operations to ensure that executions of projects
are in compliance with contract terms and conditions –budgets.
 – more... Review field equipment orders, modify and expedite. Assess project needs
and deploy resources to best effect project needs.
• Ensure that daily reports are accurate and consistent complete billing and sign off with clients.
• Improved area safety recordable from 13.6 the first year to 0 for the next 23 months with no recordables.
• Responsible for a fleet of over 73 pieces of equipment along with 45 employees.
• Highly experienced in all aspects of core drilling & geotechnical drilling. Strong strengths in exploration drilling – bidding and estimating.
• Capable of working in team in accordance with tight schedules, budgets and strict safety regulations. – less
Integrated Drilling Company
Employee (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityJanuary 4, 2014
I enjoyed working with them for 20+ years. I worked with many divisions of the company both Products and Drilling Services. They have gone through a significant downsize and have had financial issues that have had a affect on the company globally.
Diesel Mechanic
Mechanic (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 17, 2013
Pros: managed my time
Cons: not enough work
Diagnose, troubleshoot, maintain equipment. light plants, mud/trash pumps, drill Riggs, electric generator, forklifts, winch trucks, sky track.

Work well with others.
boartlong year
drill helper (Former Employee), Elko, NVDecember 16, 2013
work on drill rigs at mine sites. lift 210 pounds drill pipes on drill rigs. mix drill mud drive heavy equipment
Good idea, bad practice
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Sandy, UTAugust 27, 2013
Pros: great pay
Cons: poor management, long (very long) work hours, little incentive to improve
This company has been under some intense pressure from the market and very poor leadership for some time. That being said, I believe in the people who work there and hope for all the best for them.
Worked and enjoyed the team camaraderie
Drillers Assistant (Former Employee), Peoria, AZAugust 12, 2013
add rods, pop the core, and mix mud. leaned new skills. the most difficult part of the job was maintaining hole conditions and the most enjoyable part of the job was the working side by side with my other crew members and feeling accomplished after a hard days work.
They don't value their employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 8, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: everything else
The team I supported changed 3 times in less than two years. Everyone is expendable. They pay well but work you to the bone.
Great comapny to work for.
Inside Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee), York, PAJuly 19, 2013
Pros: great co-workers and room for career growth.
Cons: n/a
Boart Longyear is a great company to work for. The work was very enjoyable.

1 2 3 4 5

About Boart Longyear

Boart Longyear is the company to call if you need to dig yourself out of a big hole -- literally. The company manufactures drilling – Read more