BoatUS Employee Reviews

boat us
Roblo (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 2, 2017
Good place to work at i was running the forklift,chopper gun runner,built bottom of the boats never nothing to hard for me to do.Just a good place to work at they will give a rise as long u doing your job and helping the company grow.
We had the best operation of all marine retailers
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDOctober 3, 2017
This was a great place to work. The upper management was very helpful in all aspects of helping our stores reach their fullest potential. Unfortunately the retail stores were sold in early 2003.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
lot of travel
Micro Management
Sales (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 28, 2017
Managers were very poor. Get into trouble for missing one thing on a phone call like you forgot to mention the website. Policies constantly changing and getting different answers. Breaks were very short. Lots of micromanaging in every area. They don't give you notepads or pens to write on. Just a hassle to get a manager to get you one. Had to supply my own. Company tries to save money but basically it's ran efficient. My desk was so tiny. Yes, you saved money with this tiny desk but it cost you $5000 because I took my license & went somewhere else. Think about employee morale when you are trying to cut costs. Good employees will not stay around.
Pros
My co workers
Cons
10 min breaks. Disorganized Company.
Good job.
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2017
I answer incoming calls for assistance-most are non emergency calls. I give assistance whether on the roadside, on the water, or with the membership.
Pros
Bonus'
Cons
Work schedule
Okay to work for
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 4, 2017
It has great employees, but management is usually lost and the pay isn't that great. They do offer a lot of sun activities and social events. But that's about it
productive and fun
Membership / Towing Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 14, 2017
The call center is very busy. We don't have enough people to do the job. They are in the process of hiring a lot more people. Sometimes there is not a lot of communication.
Pros
management is nice
Cons
parking is not good
what a joke!
Towing (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 3, 2017
This company is a joke! uneduncared Managers and Supervisors that show favoritism and promote those based on relationships versus productivity and merits.
Logevity means nothing! I've seen loyal employees that been with the company for 10 yrs get fired for coming back late from a break. Super micromanage at its highest. they call it "coaching" when it's really criticism. supervisors sit next to you while monitoring your phone calls. you have to ask to use the bathroom like a child in school. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worse enemy!
Pros
4 days on 3 days off
Cons
everything else
Nothing to say
Multi- Insurance Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 11, 2017
Held a claims adjuster position handling marine claims. really don't have anything to say about the company. Very busy during peak season which is the boating season
much better before 'geico
Claims Adjuster II - Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 13, 2016
BoatUS was a great company before it was purchased by GEICO, the structure of the company is very stiff and robotic now, the natural feel of things have been taken away by Call Grading Systems.
claims
Claims (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 12, 2016
This was one of the worst places i ever worked. Management had no clue of how to assist you- no decision making skills what so ever. Too much favoritism and a childish gossipy environment. If you want to grow within a company, this aint it.,,if you need a job until you get a better one - bide your time here until you find something better. They dont pay a competitive wage either and theres no 401k matching. Even the lamest company will match you something. Not here. And they will try to nitpick things they dont even do. I ran for the hills and got something better as quickly as i could.
Pros
a paycheck if you dont have any other prospects
Cons
lousy management, unprofessional, favoritism
Bad management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 17, 2016
This company has bad leadership and management. They micro manage employees all day long. There is alot of favoritism and they treat employees as children. They have young managers who let titles go to their head and instead of building teams, they divide the teams up to compete with each other. People are fired on a regular basis for poor reasons, gossip all day and management is constantly changing...use caution!
Pros
Quiet during slow season
Cons
Management, poor leadership, bad morale
Handle first party claims
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 10, 2016
answer inbound calls
process first reports from insured and claimants
several daily project and task in order for the workload to stay current. boring at times.
Not a career
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 15, 2016
This isn't a "career", just a job.. that doesn't pay that great. Very poor managing (they need management skills training) and poor pay. After about 3 months, I decided to take my skills elsewhere and I don't regret it. You're told that you can move to other departments (to move up) AND YOU CAN, but the level to move up isn't that big of a difference with pay nor responsibilities. I appreciated learning about different parts of a boat, but I don't own a boat, so it didn't benefit me much.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
The work is so easy that it's boring, and very poor management
There are better places to work, especially if you're ambitious
Administration (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 29, 2016
I didn't work there very long. On the plus side, the hours were good for me. The culture was very clique-ish and it was hard to make friends. Management plays favorites with employees who have been there for years. The pay and benefits were at the low end of the scale. After less than six months, I took my experience and went to another company where I make 50% more than what I made there. Benefits were iffy, too. If you're starting out, this might be a good place to get experience but after you get some, go find a business that values you more.
Pros
Free parking, hours, work isn't hard
Cons
Clique culture; low, low pay; very budget focused and cheap with benefits
Management and Supervisors were extremely supportive in our work and and for us to succed and go forward.
Licensed 0440 Customer Service Representative 1 (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 4, 2015
Wonderful company to work for all the way around a 100%. Would advise anyone to apply to any of there locations nation wide, have personally dealt with all offices and members, they are all helpful and sweet.
Pros
incentives where wonderful
A temporary summer position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 10, 2015
At the time this was a temporary position the were not hiring, but it worked for me because I was waiting for school to start. I was a customer service representative that took incoming calls during there busy months. This company offered towing insurance to customer for people who owned boats that would get stranded on the water, and when they would call I would get their coordinates. Then I would call one of our local Tow boat captains in the area to tow them in. I would also upgrade membership too. I learned how to navigate different systems at the same time, locate a boater using GPS coordinates. The hardest part of the job was knowing which tow boat to call at times you had to be careful in certain areas there were turf issues. I enjoyed helping those stranded and scared, and I also had to contact the US Coast Guard on several occasion for emergencies.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Temporary Job
A membership store, with fee to be a member and shop
Store Manager/Sales Manager, (Former Employee) –  Beltsville MDJune 8, 2015
It was a great job. I was a cashier for 2 weeks, promoted to floor manager in 4 weeks, promoted to store manager in 8 weeks. A typical day was to make sure everything was stocked. The employees were dressed in their T shirts with logo. Every one had a section according to their knowledge of the merchandise. There was always a membership salesperson a the membership desk. I was the manager for 4 years, and got along very well with the staff. The hardest part of the job was the traveling and the hours. I traveled 50 miles one way to the store, and 50 miles back to home. The management hours were tough. I would be at work at 7 in the morning and sometimes if I couldn't get the drawers to balance, I wouldn't leave until 11:30 PM. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with college aged employees. The district manager was the greatest and saw to it that I had help when I needed it. They moved the store another 100 miles north of the location of the store I managed, so I had to move on to another management job in another boating store. Coast Navigation in Annapolis MD. I did the same type management there and no one had to be a member to buy merchandise
Pros
I knew all there was to know about boats and could answer all questions
Cons
Women managers, were paid half of what the male managers were
Fun atmosphere!
TOWING DEPARTMENT DISPATCHER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 11, 2015
Definitely a place you can enjoy walking into every day to begin your work day! Communication among staff is great and there is a true feeling of being a family.
Work as an emergency responder on call 24/7 was edifying knowing that boaters were counting on you to get them to safe harbor when things went wrong.
Lead Captain/Master 100 Ton (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 23, 2015
While I considered this line of work in the commercial assist marine towing industry to be lucrative and oftentimes fun, it lacks in being able to effectively manage your family life and provides no future security as there was no available benefits for health care or retirement. The money is good in season however the winter months in the pacific northwest are dead slow and hard to obtain work as most recreational boaters (primary customer base) are of the fair weather type.
Insurance company that looks to take care of it's employees and members.
Clerical Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 5, 2013
Felt this company offers a lot to it's employees and members. Members are the number one factor and strive to do everything possible. Was a great company to work for while I attended college.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BoatUS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8